Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auberginetuna
Dec 29, 2012

On my brunch break

Urdnot Fire posted:

Bulletstorm and Serious Sam, especially the older ones. Also, Painkiller: Black.

Thanks, i hadn't really been thinking about Bulletstorm for a while and it kinda went to the back of my head.

As for Serious Sam and Painkiller, i've already played those, but thanks for the recommendation anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I should've figured you'd have played the classics. Also, you should probably check out Rage if you haven't already. It's got the classic shooter gameplay you expect from id, and since you want mindless the plot shouldn't bother you :v:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Dissenting opinion: I guess it depends on what bothers you about Call of Duty, but I thought Bulletstorm had exactly some of the issues that plague modern military shooters, namely the elephant in the room that is it being extremely linear and setpiece-driven. It has better combat than Call of Duty and is stupid in a very Duke 3D kind of way though so it is a good game.

If linearity is okay, hard reset and metro 2033 both do a lot to separate themselves from the mass of CoD clones. Hard Reset is a fairly difficult shooter made a little in the mold of Quake 2, kind of has that old school feel, while also being very pretty. You can tell the guys making it really liked Blade Runner. Metro 2033 is Eastern European as hell, being made by some of the same guys who made Stalker, and it's basically a horror-themed shooter with some stealthy bits and a very eerie post apocalyptic setting. Just make sure to play on ranger hardcore, since raising the difficulty makes the enemies take fewer bullets just as it does the player.

Auberginetuna
Dec 29, 2012

On my brunch break

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Dissenting opinion: I guess it depends on what bothers you about Call of Duty, but I thought Bulletstorm had exactly some of the issues that plague modern military shooters, namely the elephant in the room that is it being extremely linear and setpiece-driven. It has better combat than Call of Duty and is stupid in a very Duke 3D kind of way though so it is a good game.

If linearity is okay, hard reset and metro 2033 both do a lot to separate themselves from the mass of CoD clones. Hard Reset is a fairly difficult shooter made a little in the mold of Quake 2, kind of has that old school feel, while also being very pretty. You can tell the guys making it really liked Blade Runner. Metro 2033 is Eastern European as hell, being made by some of the same guys who made Stalker, and it's basically a horror-themed shooter with some stealthy bits and a very eerie post apocalyptic setting. Just make sure to play on ranger hardcore, since raising the difficulty makes the enemies take fewer bullets just as it does the player.

Thanks for recommending Metro 2033! I picked it up during a steam sale and i played some after you recommended it to me and really liked the story and the sort of realistic jankyness of the shooting. As for Hard Reset, i played some of that and kind of liked it, my main complaints being that the guns don't really feel meaty enough to me and that there are only 2 guns. Other than that, it's a great game!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My dad's looking for a submarine combat game. Besides Silent Hunter, is there any alternative? Steam preferably. Checking Wikipedia's entry on submarine simulation doesn't really show much.

Azran fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 13, 2013

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Azran posted:

My dad's looking for a submarine combat game. Besides Silent Hunter, is there any alternative? Steam preferably. Checking Wikipedia's entry on submarine simulation doesn't really show much.
I'm not an expert on the genre, but Dangerous Waters proved to be interesting. It's a modern-day sub sim, and while it has the option to crew frigates and ASW aircraft, the subs are the stars of this game. It's on steam, but a physical copy is worth looking into, if only for the old-fashioned, ring-binded paperweight-sized manual it comes with.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I've had a hankering for a good word game lately and I can't find the Bookworm Adventures disc that I stole from my niece awhile back. (Possibly she stole it back.) Any suggestions, preferably for something free I can play in my browser?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Zoe posted:

I've had a hankering for a good word game lately and I can't find the Bookworm Adventures disc that I stole from my niece awhile back. (Possibly she stole it back.) Any suggestions, preferably for something free I can play in my browser?

I used to really enjoy this one, but it might not be exactly what you're looking for:
http://shygypsy.com/farm/p.cgi

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
I'm looking for a good open-world RPG that has co-op (ideally something in the vein of the Elder Scrolls series). Does this exist? Google has failed me :(

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I need a slow, thoughtful, and deep economy-building game. I want something where I can build a powerhouse economy and crush my opponents. I've played out Dwarf Fortress (for now, big patch "soon"!), and got DosBox so I could play out Colonization and Master of Orion 2, so I'm low on ideas.

I'm thinking Tropico 4, does that fit the bill, is that worth playing? I don't think there are any enemies to crush, though :(

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Evilreaver posted:

I need a slow, thoughtful, and deep economy-building game. I want something where I can build a powerhouse economy and crush my opponents. I've played out Dwarf Fortress (for now, big patch "soon"!), and got DosBox so I could play out Colonization and Master of Orion 2, so I'm low on ideas.

I'm thinking Tropico 4, does that fit the bill, is that worth playing? I don't think there are any enemies to crush, though :(

I always recommend the Anno games, but I'm not sure about the opponent crushing since the combat is kind of meh. The expansions add the ability to buy out their settlements by overthrowing their government, though.

Patrician is all about trade and economies, and the expansion of 4 allows for more land-based monopolizing. You set up trade routes so your ships trade things that make people happy, so the towns trust you and let you buy up more property, which puts you in an arms race with the town mayors to grab land. Once you have a monopoly over the goods production lines you can gently caress with the economy and put the NPCs out of business, or just price-fix and become filthy rich in order to buy up more land in new towns.

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm looking for a space/future setting rpg. I'd prefer something open-ended/non-linear, but as long as it's relatively indepth and immersive I don't mind as much. I've played and enjoyed things like the Deus Ex, Mass Effect and KoToR series, but I'm sort of lost from there. Is there anything out there like that?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
I haven't played it in years, but Anachronox is wonderful. Unusual combat, though.

System Shock 2 is a great one too. Can't think of many others that fit the bill but aren't space combat games.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 15, 2013

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I can't say I mind games outside the setting. I've blown plenty of hours on who knows how many fantasy games. Mostly mainstream titles, admittedly, though I don't really know what that means anymore. NWN is maintstream, right?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

semicolonsrock posted:

I'm looking for a good open-world RPG that has co-op (ideally something in the vein of the Elder Scrolls series). Does this exist? Google has failed me :(

On what system? Fable 2 (360 only) and Fable 3 (PC and 360) are decent though their worlds are smaller than Skyrim by far. There's also Sacred 2 which is basically open world Diablo.

Borderlands and its sequel might count as well even if they lean more towards shooter than RPG.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 15, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Evilreaver posted:

Maybe some of Paradox games?Those are plenty deep and slow, get Europa universalis 3 for more economical approach or crusader kings 2 for more plotting

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BobOfDoom posted:

I'm looking for a space/future setting rpg. I'd prefer something open-ended/non-linear, but as long as it's relatively indepth and immersive I don't mind as much. I've played and enjoyed things like the Deus Ex, Mass Effect and KoToR series, but I'm sort of lost from there. Is there anything out there like that?
Alpha Protocol!
It's not sci-fi, but a modern day espionage setting, but that's close enough right?
The story is immensely open-ended, and it's pretty goddamn impressive how differently things can go on subsequent playthroughs. It's also not very linear, there's a whole bunch of main plot missions and the order in which you can do them is pretty free. Of course there's some "Must do X before Y comes up" things, but overall it's remarkably non-linear. The action isn't fantastic but it does its job, the main strength of the game is in the awesomely entangled plotline and great dialogue.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

I need a slow, thoughtful, and deep economy-building game.

Have you checked out Victoria 2? It's probably the one paradox game that centers the most around your economy and industrialization. The learning curve probably isn't as steep as EU3 either.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Pyromancer posted:

Maybe some of Paradox games?Those are plenty deep and slow, get Europa universalis 3 for more economical approach or crusader kings 2 for more plotting

Even CKII is good for "build economy, destroy enemies" now that the Republic DLC is out. The Republic/patrician mechanic revolves around five families constantly stabbing each other in the back and trying to steal each others' stuff, while trying to find kingdoms that will let you build trading posts without the local lord razing them to the ground for quick cash.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

A friend asked me for recommendations on iPhone adventure/RPG games. Not owning an iOS device myself, I thought I'd ask the awful masses.
He wants something akin to the Mario SuperStar Saga games. Some exploration elements, interactive battles, overall easy.
Suggestions for good Metroidvanias for iPhone would be appreciated too, as he's been getting in to those recently as well.

This guy is pretty picky, but I figure his tiny touchscreen is kinda limited in this genre so feel free to suggest whatever comes to mind and hope it sticks!

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Mokinokaro posted:

On what system? Fable 2 (360 only) and Fable 3 (PC and 360) are decent though their worlds are smaller than Skyrim by far. There's also Sacred 2 which is basically open world Diablo.

Borderlands and its sequel might count as well even if they lean more towards shooter than RPG.

Thanks, 360/PC are the two that I have. I had no idea Fable was co-op, I'll look into it (I've played Borderlands to death).

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Auberginetuna posted:

Thanks, i hadn't really been thinking about Bulletstorm for a while and it kinda went to the back of my head.

As for Serious Sam and Painkiller, i've already played those, but thanks for the recommendation anyway!

Hard Reset is like a cyberpunk Painkiller, the dev team had a bunch of people who developed the original Painkiller. It's quite repetitive and at parts frustratingly difficult, but lots of fun.

e:

Evilreaver posted:

You might like Capitalism 2. It has a dull, realistic modern-day setting unlike those other games, but I don't know any game that has a deeper economy system.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 16, 2013

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

semicolonsrock posted:

This may be a bit outside the box, but have you tried any MMOs? If you get Guild Wars 2 when it's cheap, that game has a ton of co-op opportunities, including co-op story missions, world events, PvP, dungeons, etc. You can go through literally the entire game with a friend. I bet you could do that with some of the F2P MMO's on Steam, too, except I don't know if they can be played straight-through in co-op like GW2 can.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I'm looking for a new game for my girlfriend to play - the issue is that she has completely bizarre taste so I'm not exactly sure what'll stick.

Her favourite games of all time are Thief 1/2, Settlers 2, Age of Empires 2, Caesar 3 and GTAIV.

PC or PS3 is fine, I'm just really not sure where to go. She seemed to enjoy Pixeljunk Shooter, Age of Booty and Angry Birds, but she really liked the storyline/humour/life simulation aspects of GTAIV. She likes sneaky games and management games, that's about all I can glean from her taste. I'm guessing simulation/strategy/thinking games with a bit of management and not too much combat are the idea.

She didn't like The Sims, Metal Gear Solid, Civilisation, Lemmings, Worms, Skyrim or Assassin's Creed.

Saint's Row seems like a logical choice, but I'd also like to get her something (or two) for PC along the lines of Thief and Settlers. Preferably nothing too new as it's just a laptop.

Sorry for the vague post, just looking for some suggestions that might be out of the box a bit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PTizzle posted:

I'm looking for a new game for my girlfriend to play - the issue is that she has completely bizarre taste so I'm not exactly sure what'll stick.

Her favourite games of all time are Thief 1/2, Settlers 2, Age of Empires 2, Caesar 3 and GTAIV.

PC or PS3 is fine, I'm just really not sure where to go. She seemed to enjoy Pixeljunk Shooter, Age of Booty and Angry Birds, but she really liked the storyline/humour/life simulation aspects of GTAIV. She likes sneaky games and management games, that's about all I can glean from her taste. I'm guessing simulation/strategy/thinking games with a bit of management and not too much combat are the idea.

She didn't like The Sims, Metal Gear Solid, Civilisation, Lemmings, Worms, Skyrim or Assassin's Creed.

Saint's Row seems like a logical choice, but I'd also like to get her something (or two) for PC along the lines of Thief and Settlers. Preferably nothing too new as it's just a laptop.

Sorry for the vague post, just looking for some suggestions that might be out of the box a bit.

Can you tell us the specs of the laptop at all? "Just a laptop" could mean anything really nowadays. Hitman: Blood Money might be of interest though, given some of the titles you mentioned. I don't know what the low-spec quality is like, but Dishonored would probably be well-received, if her laptop can run it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Bloodmobile posted:

Hard Reset is like a cyberpunk Painkiller, the dev team had a bunch of people who developed the original Painkiller. It's quite repetitive and at parts frustratingly difficult, but lots of fun.

e:

You might like Capitalism 2. It has a dull, realistic modern-day setting unlike those other games, but I don't know any game that has a deeper economy system.

I'll have to take a look at Capitalism, but holy poo poo those Paradox games, I don't even know where to start, what a brick wall. I should have added 'intuitive learning' to my wishlist, but then again I listed Dwarf Fortress :suicide:

Guydoingthis
May 24, 2010
I'm looking for a fun hack-n'-slash co-op RPG I can play casually with the wife when we want to chop and/or shoot some bad guys. I'm imagining linear Dynasty Warriors with extra RPG elements. I'm especially interested in couch co-op, with ease getting into and out of the game so we could play in short bursts or long marathons depending on what we feel like.

I have access to a PS3, 360, Wii, PS2, and a SNES.

PTizzle posted:

An obvious suggestion would be Deus Ex - either the old one or the more recent Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Seems like it'd mesh well with sneakiness and first person stealth. Deus Ex would probably run fine on the laptop, not as sure on Human Revolution.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Guydoingthis posted:

I'm looking for a fun hack-n'-slash co-op RPG I can play casually with the wife when we want to chop and/or shoot some bad guys. I'm imagining linear Dynasty Warriors with extra RPG elements. I'm especially interested in couch co-op, with ease getting into and out of the game so we could play in short bursts or long marathons depending on what we feel like.
This is a little less than main-stream, but try Tokyo Jungle on PS3 network. I can vouch, with some loose expectations, it is a absolute blast as a co-op mania fun time thing. It's a split-screen, hack-n-slash survival, big on fun light on rpg type of game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEd6wFDI7Og

If not that, then, well you stated SNES so, try Goof Troop. That's some good co-op fun as well.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PTizzle posted:

I'm sorry dude, but if she doesn't like Skyrim, then she probably doesn't really like games. Maybe she grew out of them or something because all those games she likes appear to be from well before the towers fell.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I'm sorry dude, but if she doesn't like Skyrim, then she probably doesn't really like games. Maybe she grew out of them or something because all those games she likes appear to be from well before the towers fell.

I'm sorry dude, but not liking Bethesda RPGs does not mean you don't really like games.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Feedbacker posted:

I'm sorry dude, but not liking Bethesda RPGs does not mean you don't really like games.

Have to agree with this, I haven't played a non-heavily modded Bathesda RPG since Morrowind.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

PTizzle posted:

How about Rise of Nations, since she liked Age of Empires 2? Age of Empires 3 is also pretty good.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Cheers for the suggestions guys. I'll give Deus Ex a go and she's gonna try to start Assassin's Creed II from the beginning rather than just playing around randomly.

Rise of Nations is so obvious! Cheers Fangz. That'll be perfect.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I didn't love Skyrim either tbh. Probably because I just came off New Vegas or something.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can you tell us the specs of the laptop at all? "Just a laptop" could mean anything really nowadays. Hitman: Blood Money might be of interest though, given some of the titles you mentioned. I don't know what the low-spec quality is like, but Dishonored would probably be well-received, if her laptop can run it.

Sorry mate. Dual core 2.2ghz, crappy inbuilt graphics card. She has an old mac laptop as well which might be useful for some games.

Basically, Blood Money should be fine (I'll give that a go as I love it too) but Dishonoured I'd have to get on the PS3.

PTizzle fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 17, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Has she played Thief 3? Should run on her laptop, I reckon. Perhaps the older Anno and Tropico games? They have a lot in common with Caesar.

Edit: The Stronghold series also. They (Stronghold and Stronghold 2 at least) feature economic/peace campaigns as well as war campaigns.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 17, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

PTizzle posted:

It's intimidating at first but I'd recommend having her give Crusader Kings 2 a try. It's pretty much all about internal management, combat exists but it's not necessary or intensive and involves two units bashing each other, and there are alternatives such as sabotage and matrimonial plots.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

It's worth noting that Crusader Kings II has a mod that will greatly improve performance on older PCs.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Can anyone recommend some real easy adventure games? Nothing like Myst, but more story driven ones. I just recently finished The Cat Lady thanks to the horror thread, and while rough around the edges I found myself really enjoying it.

And by easy, I mean like The walking dead easy (which I played and loved). Even on The Cat Lady I had to look up some solutions a few times. Stuff like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island I always get frustrated with.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Leper Residue posted:

Can anyone recommend some real easy adventure games? Nothing like Myst, but more story driven ones. I just recently finished The Cat Lady thanks to the horror thread, and while rough around the edges I found myself really enjoying it.

And by easy, I mean like The walking dead easy (which I played and loved). Even on The Cat Lady I had to look up some solutions a few times. Stuff like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island I always get frustrated with.

To the Moon? Kentucky Route Zero is also possibly something good to check out.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Feedbacker posted:

Oh, that was my attempt at an obvious joke. Sorry, all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
Dear Esther
Home
Machinarium
The Chzo/John Defoe games Yahtzee made were pretty fun. http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

Sessile fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 18, 2013