Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

Mundus: (On the phone) "-Yes, by close of trading Friday. No, you can't have more time. you know the terms, you know the concequences. *Laughs* No, this is not a veiled threat - this is a direct one. Should you fail to comply, the collapse of the economy will be on your head. I will make sure you are stripped of power, shamed, and hated. Is that clear enough for you? Friday, it is then! You have a good night, Mister President.

Goddamn I HATE it when scripts do this one sided phone call where they repeat what the unheard side says. It sounds so stupid and comes across as really lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It seems the end game has started to be leaked. An image of the final boss has emerged, and it seems genuine.

:siren: Spoilers
VVV
http://i.imgur.com/dKnDg.jpg
^^^
:siren: Spoilers

And only ten days before launch, too. Boss movesets have also apparently been leaked.

Anybody want to make a DmC specific thread?

[e]: Sent.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 6, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll make the thread after work, if you have anything you can give me for the OP then go ahead and PM me, otherwise I'll mostly be adding my own stuff.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Good on you for starting the DmC thread Ferguson, and well done to Pesky for passing on what you had for said thread.

If DmC crashes and burns, I'm wondering how Capcom would continue the main series. A Devil May Cry 0 that explains why Vergil and Dante are on murderously bad terms with each other in DMC3 or advance directly to Devil May Cry 5 and continue Nero's story as Vergil's inheritor. Maybe even finally add co-op play into the series with either Dante & Vergil or Dante & Nero.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I just want them to ignore DMC2 forever and make more stuff set after DMC4.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Zedd posted:

I just want them to ignore DMC2 forever and make more stuff set after DMC4.
I like to imagine that Dante really did come back from Hell, still riding on that motorcycle, and went on fighting demons up until DMC4.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I added a link to the DmC thread to the OP. I'm keeping this thread open as a general DMC series discussion thread. If some kind mod would be wiling to change the thread title to reflect this fact, I would appreciate it.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I don't know why they avoided continuing the story after DMC2 for so long. You could easily hand-wave the bad characterisation and stuff by either
a) having Dante only mention coming back from Hell on the motorcycle briefly, or
b) actually showing him arriving on the bike with like a box of pizza or something and saying "sorry I was so moody earlier, I just really craved some pizza. Want a slice, Lucia? You're buying next time".

e: the characterisation in DMC2 sort of makes sense if you look at it from the pizza perspective.
e2: He went straight to hell to get some special pizza ingredients

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm playing through DMC3 right now and just beat Agni and Rudra. Should I switch to them or should I upgrade Cerberus instead? What's you guy's favourite? I have to thank AccountingNightmare for the boss strategy. Without knowing about knocking away their weapons, that battle would have taken forever.. .

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I'm playing through DMC3 right now and just beat Agni and Rudra. Should I switch to them or should I upgrade Cerberus instead? What's you guy's favourite? I have to thank AccountingNightmare for the boss strategy. Without knowing about knocking away their weapons, that battle would have taken forever.. .

It really depends on your personal preferences. Agni and Rudra are closer to Rebellion than Ceberus is but still have their own distinct attributes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Renoistic posted:

I find A&R a lot more utilitarian than Cerberus, and certainly a lot more mobile thanks to Air Hike. The A&R pair also has a single-hit air attack that can be jump-canceled for air combos on tall bosses without losing Trickster for Swordsmaster, and an easy Crazy Combo with Million Slash that hits wider than Million Stab does.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

toasterwarrior posted:

I find A&R a lot more utilitarian than Cerberus, and certainly a lot more mobile thanks to Air Hike. The A&R pair also has a single-hit air attack that can be jump-canceled for air combos on tall bosses without losing Trickster for Swordsmaster, and an easy Crazy Combo with Million Slash that hits wider than Million Stab does.

How do you perform the jump-cancel? Is there a trick to it or is it just a timing thing?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

PoshAlligator posted:

I don't know why they avoided continuing the story after DMC2 for so long. You could easily hand-wave the bad characterisation and stuff by either
a) having Dante only mention coming back from Hell on the motorcycle briefly,

I always thought DMC4 came after 2 until someone here posted it was Japanese guidebook canon! that 2 was still the last in the series partly because there's already a line somewhere in the game about Dante having come back from Hell. But he pretty much goes to Hell in every one except 4, doesn't he? It' [wa]s a silly series and I don't think they need to address it at all anyway.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Renoistic posted:

How do you perform the jump-cancel? Is there a trick to it or is it just a timing thing?

It's using Enemy Step to reset aerial attacks/jumps, so you spam an attack in combination with enemy step to basically float on an enemy while wailing on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lyqo4B0pm4

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

WeaponBoy posted:

It's using Enemy Step to reset aerial attacks/jumps, so you spam an attack in combination with enemy step to basically float on an enemy while wailing on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lyqo4B0pm4

Neat! Thanks!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm amazed nobody posted this in the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEFK_O4CF0U

I love the animation work.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

SSNeoman posted:

I'm amazed nobody posted this in the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEFK_O4CF0U

I love the animation work.

The moment with the pizza. Aw yiss.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That made me smile. Next time I want to explain who Dante is to someone i'm gonna just link that.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So uh I just got to the Dante refight in DMC 4. :stare:

That is, without a doubt, one of the most fun things I have ever done in a video game. I died maybe four times before I realized I could just buster him to death, and my entire strategy was to just shoot at him constantly while walking towards him until I got into sword range. I "won", but it didn't really feel like a win.

Seriously I just really want to gush about how amazing that whole fight was. I was just going through that level and feeling like a badass since I was getting able to take out the flying shadowy assholes a lot more quickly and painlessly than at first, and then that loving fight comes and manages to make me feel exactly like I did during the first Dante tutorial fight. I usually hate it in games when you beat a boss and they immediately floor you in the next cutscene but here it just felt so appropriate :allears:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Dante 2 is just insane on the higher difficulties, he gets access to more weapons and styles. It's appropriate to buster him to death, since that's really the only area in which Nero has an advantage.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

So uh I just got to the Dante refight in DMC 4. :stare:

That is, without a doubt, one of the most fun things I have ever done in a video game. I died maybe four times before I realized I could just buster him to death, and my entire strategy was to just shoot at him constantly while walking towards him until I got into sword range. I "won", but it didn't really feel like a win.

Seriously I just really want to gush about how amazing that whole fight was. I was just going through that level and feeling like a badass since I was getting able to take out the flying shadowy assholes a lot more quickly and painlessly than at first, and then that loving fight comes and manages to make me feel exactly like I did during the first Dante tutorial fight. I usually hate it in games when you beat a boss and they immediately floor you in the next cutscene but here it just felt so appropriate :allears:

Dante 2 is definitely a love/hate boss battle for me. On one hand, he has no real set pattern and going toe-to-toe with him is probably one of the most exhilarating fights in the entire series because he has so many tricks up his sleeves and he doesn't hold back. On the other hand, Dante is a motherfucker who will not hesitate to switch Styles in the middle of a combo to bait you into a Royal Release or knock your punk rear end back with a shotgun blast that comes out of nowhere. Makes S-ranking the mission tough if you need to do well on his fight, and clearing it with No Damage is down to luck. Credo is nearer to Vergil in a "duel" boss fight that you can predict to a good degree, but drat does Dante show you who's the original gangsta of DMC.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Doesn't he pull out his loving laser cannon on you if you fight him on DMD?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Doesn't he pull out his loving laser cannon on you if you fight him on DMD?

Much preferable to him opening the briefcase and unleashing murderous golden light on your rear end. At least you can jump over the laser, because IIRC the light hits everything around Dante.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
How is the Devil May Cry HD Collection? I've not opened mine yet due to those glitches with the Silent Hill one.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 15, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Facepalm Ranger posted:

How is the Devil May Cry HD Collection? I've not opened mine yet due to those glitches with the Silent Hill one.

What does a collection made by Konami have to do with one made by Capcom? :confused:

And to my understanding they work just fine.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It's fine. Kinda bare bones port job, but fine.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Probably will get the HD Collection at some point, need to clear space in my house and starting off by getting collections instead of single games will help. Plus the upped resolution and trophies is great for me. :)

Been listening to the previous games soundtracks, drat they're so enjoyable!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking of the Pandora, anyone have any cool tips on how to use it? I know you can use the PF666 to instantly strip The Blitz's lightning barrier and I know that the Missile Pod can be used for...everything really. But besides those?

I also have a thing where I can't seem to stop jumping and using the PF262 Jealousy in midair. Good for my Disaster Gauge, bad for my stylish ranking and for actually hurting things.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Speaking of the Pandora, anyone have any cool tips on how to use it? I know you can use the PF666 to instantly strip The Blitz's lightning barrier and I know that the Missile Pod can be used for...everything really. But besides those?

I also have a thing where I can't seem to stop jumping and using the PF262 Jealousy in midair. Good for my Disaster Gauge, bad for my stylish ranking and for actually hurting things.

Not many tricks really, but DT + Jealousy charges your shots like it would the pistol's and the shotgun's. Also, the amount of motions you need to make to switch from rocket launcher -> bigger rocket launcher -> giant fuckoff laser cannon is lessened by being in DT.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was getting really bored with the tower in DMC3 and suddenly I got to fight Vergil which really surprised me. The opening cutscene for the following mission and the stage itself was completely nuts, too. Will the game pick up the pace from now on? I felt the tower was pretty boring and preferred the city environments in the beginning.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Renoistic posted:

I was getting really bored with the tower in DMC3 and suddenly I got to fight Vergil which really surprised me. The opening cutscene for the following mission and the stage itself was completely nuts, too. Will the game pick up the pace from now on? I felt the tower was pretty boring and preferred the city environments in the beginning.

After one mission in the bigass flying demon whale, you'll end up back in the tower. Really, the entire game is supposed to take place there, but the following areas do deviate from the standard gothic castle room enough that it stays interesting.

That's in terms of visual design though. Trust me, while generally fine, there'll be a mission where you'll miss the old tower sections because it's not full of rage-inducing platforming and enemies.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

toasterwarrior posted:

After one mission in the bigass flying demon whale, you'll end up back in the tower. Really, the entire game is supposed to take place there, but the following areas do deviate from the standard gothic castle room enough that it stays interesting.

That's in terms of visual design though. Trust me, while generally fine, there'll be a mission where you'll miss the old tower sections because it's not full of rage-inducing platforming and enemies.

I was afraid there would be platforming...

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The environments in DMC3 are the worst thing about the game. The ones in 4 made up for it, but 1 still has the best art style for me.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm trying to play DMC3 for the third time now, the first time I came from 2 and hated that they locked away all the moves in styles you could only change at statues and the same with weapons, the second time I came from 4 and had the same problems. Now I'm playing it on an emulator and save states make it a lot more fun, especially with bosses, since you can just place one at the start of the fight and then learn the patters and stuff without the pressure of dying.

I just beat Virgil the first(?) time and once you get parrying down it pretty fun, but I have to second the hate for the tower, the bosses and most fights are nice but everything in between suck. I also hate how you are pretty much forced to use sword master since air attacks is a pretty big deal.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Hel does the emulator let you run it at relatively high resolutions? I'm considering getting an emulated version because the pc port I have on steam seems pretty limited and has some baaaaad habits.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Hel posted:

I just beat Virgil the first(?) time and once you get parrying down it pretty fun, but I have to second the hate for the tower, the bosses and most fights are nice but everything in between suck. I also hate how you are pretty much forced to use sword master since air attacks is a pretty big deal.

Try using weapons other then Rebellion. Both Cerberus and Agni/Rudra have good jump attacks that you don't need swordmaster to combo. If you learn how to jump cancel, you can use those two moves to combo as well.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Hel does the emulator let you run it at relatively high resolutions? I'm considering getting an emulated version because the pc port I have on steam seems pretty limited and has some baaaaad habits.

PCSX2 let's you set custom resolutions but it's limited by your computers performance , I get sub 60fps if I go over 4x native, just try it if you have a Ps2 DVD to use. You could also just full screen on a lower res but that look rather bad. There are some graphical oddities you might have problems with but I personally don't care about them. I don't think DMC3 uses the analogue buttons on the ps2 so you could probably even use a 360 controller. If you do play via emulator I recommend making ISO instead of running via the DVD drive.

Chickenfrogman posted:

Try using weapons other then Rebellion. Both Cerberus and Agni/Rudra have good jump attacks that you don't need swordmaster to combo. If you learn how to jump cancel, you can use those two moves to combo as well.

Maybe I'm missing something but the only ones that let's stay in the air requires the circle button regardless of weapon, sure Agni/Rudra's launcher has some hits in the air as well but still. How does jump canceling work in DMC3?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hel posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but the only ones that let's stay in the air requires the circle button regardless of weapon, sure Agni/Rudra's launcher has some hits in the air as well but still. How does jump canceling work in DMC3?

A&R's Triangle in the air is a one-hit crosscut, and Cerberus is a diagonal swing that has pretty good range. Weaponboy brought up a link on Enemy Step earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lyqo4B0pm4.

Once you feel confident enough to drop Swordsmaster, you can use other styles. Trickster is pretty good since there will be enemies/bosses that attack in a way that even a dodge roll -> jump -> double jump may not be enough to get you out of the way in time if you're in a bad position, but if you want to bring your S-game on you can always take Royal Guard for a spin.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 17, 2013

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

toasterwarrior posted:

A&R's Triangle in the air is a one-hit crosscut, and Cerberus is a diagonal swing that has pretty good range. Weaponboy brought up a link on Enemy Step earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lyqo4B0pm4.

Once you feel confident enough to drop Swordsmaster, you can use other styles. Trickster is pretty good since there will be enemies/bosses that attack in a way that even a dodge roll -> jump -> double jump may not be enough to get you out of the way in time if you're in a bad position, but if you want to bring your S-game on you can always take Royal Guard for a spin.

Thanks for that, I'm using trickster and some Jump cancelling now, it works but it's still feels worse than either DMC 2 or 4 systems. But at least I'm getting into it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I haven't used anything but trickster for the whole game. The ability to dodge in any direction both on the ground and in the air is a godsend. The ability to combo in the air is not even close to being that useful, at least if you're only concerned with making it through the game for now.

• Locked thread