Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

grover posted:

Only 4,640 killed enemies? :yawn:

I backed up the video when I heard that just to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
So, we were talking about colorized WW2 photos a couple pages back, how about we go farther back with colorized Civil War photos?

All of these are done in Photoshop obviously and as such aren't perfect, but it sure does make you realize that these people were real.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

iyaayas01 posted:

It's been EIGHT YEARS since there hasn't been a Spectre gunship forward deployed somewhere in the world.

Looks like someone finally got their killstreak interrupted.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Fresh from Syria, specifically Darayya, yesterday: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=91e_1358349215

Looks to be a pair of T-64s awkwardly fitted with with ERA. Probably an offensive decision rather than a defensive decision as I've heard that Soviet ERA packages tended to protect the tank at the cost of shredding anyone nearby. Also, note at 1:18 that the guy throws some kind of pistol out of the window. It almost looks like a Tokarev, but it has some kind of weird barrel extension.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
They're T-72s, look at the roadwheels and radiator grill. -64s were never exported either.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Red Crown posted:

Fresh from Syria, specifically Darayya, yesterday: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=91e_1358349215

Looks to be a pair of T-64s awkwardly fitted with with ERA. Probably an offensive decision rather than a defensive decision as I've heard that Soviet ERA packages tended to protect the tank at the cost of shredding anyone nearby. Also, note at 1:18 that the guy throws some kind of pistol out of the window. It almost looks like a Tokarev, but it has some kind of weird barrel extension.

You'd think a pair of tanks that just put 2 rounds into the building next to yours and then swiveling around before aiming right at you would provide something of an extrinsic motivation to get away from the window. Nope.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
He had a couple more takbirs to say before he was allowed to turn the camera off.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I assume the EOD techs are the guys in the yellow high visibility jackets. Safety first!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TylrKgfG2dI

And this is either a homemade incendiary RPG round, or a pee RPG round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3GIMH7dMhc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVCsYf6oNo

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
How effective would HEAT or straight up AT rounds from a T-64 or any tank be against a building? Its gonna penetrate but will it just keep passing through like a bullet or will it gently caress poo poo up in the room on the other side?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Branis posted:

How effective would HEAT or straight up AT rounds from a T-64 or any tank be against a building? Its gonna penetrate but will it just keep passing through like a bullet or will it gently caress poo poo up in the room on the other side?

Well, they still explode.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Branis posted:

The concrete would spall inwards with an AP round. I don't know how concrete would react to HEAT. It was probably shooting HE though.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
The Marines did that during Phantom Fury II. Insurgents in a building? Tank nearby? BOOM

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Branis posted:

SABOT is the one that would go through the house. And the next one...and the next one...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

AB posted:

SABOT is the one that would go through the house. And the next one...and the next one...
I wonder how many houses a railgun slug will go through? The Mach 7 dart with the 200+ mile range, I mean, not the intentionally unstable non-aerodynamic one used in these tests (lest an errant shot penetrate a whole neighborhood of homes 200 miles away).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uV1SbEuzFU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

grover posted:

I wonder how many houses a railgun slug will go through? The Mach 7 dart with the 200+ mile range, I mean, not the intentionally unstable non-aerodynamic one used in these tests (lest an errant shot penetrate a whole neighborhood of homes 200 miles away).

I really want to believe that the guy pulling the trigger/pressing the button on that thing has a brightly red ABORT-button with 3 exclamation marks on his screen, but those are fake screenshots to cover up sensitive test-data and the actual control/readout interfaces are much more complex with endless streams of scientific data, right?

RIGHT...?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I really want to believe that the guy pulling the trigger/pressing the button on that thing has a brightly red ABORT-button with 3 exclamation marks on his screen, but those are fake screenshots to cover up sensitive test-data and the actual control/readout interfaces are much more complex with endless streams of scientific data, right?

RIGHT...?

8th grade reading level, remember?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Duzzy Funlop posted:

RIGHT...?
The reality it is that this thing is going to be fired by a 17 year old kid who just barely managed to not fail out of high school and needs a detailed procedure to pick his own loving nose. That's what the interface is designed for. All the scientific data you'd be expecting to see is occurring so fast it's impossible to digest in real-time and is recorded and analyzed afterwards.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Duzzy Funlop posted:

RIGHT...?

I'm sure there are plenty of configuration pages and technical readouts, but I'm not surprised that actually firing the thing is done with a very simple "make boom?" button. And no matter what the context, ABORT buttons kind of have to be big and conspicuous.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

grover posted:

Like I said the last time this got posted:

1. Jesus, look at those cables flex.
2. I don't even care so much about the gun, I want to know about the power source.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Phanatic posted:

Like I said the last time this got posted:

1. Jesus, look at those cables flex.
2. I don't even care so much about the gun, I want to know about the power source.
You can see the capacitor banks better in this view:

Puts out about 3 million amps. It's the current that creates the magnetic field, so the more current, the more powerful the weapon. A production railgun will require about 16MW to continuously fire at a rate of 6 shots per minute. Less power (like in a Burke) wouldn't mean it couldn't fire a railgun, just that it would operate at a lower firing rate.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 18, 2013

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So if you put this on a nuclear-powered ship, would you be able to charge the capacitors to achieve a reasonable firing rate off one reactor without killing power to the rest of the ship? It seems like you would need a vessel built around this weapon system to make it work. One gun and a giant power plant.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

AB posted:

So if you put this on a nuclear-powered ship, would you be able to charge the capacitors to achieve a reasonable firing rate off one reactor without killing power to the rest of the ship? It seems like you would need a vessel built around this weapon system to make it work. One gun and a giant power plant.

16MW is a poo poo ton of power but I'm not sure what carrier turbine generators can output.....my guess would be that they'd have to have bigger ones or a dedicated one for the rail gun. v0v

e: I thought I read about these and the barrel life is basically nothing anyways

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 18, 2013

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

genderstomper58 posted:

e: I thought I read about these and the barrel life is basically nothing anyways

That's another good point, I wasn't even thinking about the barrel. Best analogue I can think of from personal experience is the Abrams- high velocity rounds like the super sabot count as 2.5 shots on a barrel rated for 2500 shots. Betting that rail gun rounds just eat barrels.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

AB posted:

Wouldn't need to be anything ridiculous. When I was interviewing at NAVSEA in Philly I saw the 30,000shp electric motor that was at the time slated to be used on the DD-21 ships, so even without a fancy railgun that ship would have needed 22 megawatts of generator just to feed that motor. Even the early Arleigh Burkes had 7.5MW worth of electrical generation, the later flights have more.

Surprised they're using caps rather than a homopolar generator, but the one I built was only 48 millifarad's worth of capacitors at 600VDC, so they probably know something I don't.

AB posted:

Betting that rail gun rounds just eat barrels.

It's not the round, it's the arcing between the armature and the rails that causes rapid erosion. It's one reason why you want to keep the voltage as low as possible (since as was pointed out, it's the current that sets up the Lorentz force that moves the armature). That's historically been one of the major problems in actually weaponizing one of these things, but if they've solved it then there's not a whole lot of reason it'd be hard to field.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 18, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

genderstomper58 posted:

Yep. It's amazing, but prototype railguns already meet all the operational goals for power and range and all the things that most people would think are the major challenges, and barrel life is the single largest hurdle right now from making an operational naval railgun. They're trying to get from 100 shots to 1000 shots.

In this test last year, this projectile was fired horizontally at Mach 5, penetrated a steel panel and went another 7km.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

grover posted:

Yep. It's amazing, but prototype railguns already meet all the operational goals for power and range and all the things that most people would think are the major challenges, and barrel life is the single largest hurdle right now from making an operational naval railgun. They're trying to get from 100 shots to 1000 shots.

Where could they even go from here? Just experiment with new crazy alloys? Trying to increase a barrel life 10x seems like a whole lot of work and money but I'm no materials engineer

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

genderstomper58 posted:

Where could they even go from here? Just experiment with new crazy alloys? Trying to increase a barrel life 10x seems like a whole lot of work and money but I'm no materials engineer
Crazy alloys and novel techniques, yep. But I think the ultimate answer will be something they haven't even tried yet. High-energy plasma from the 3 million amp electrical arc is like a combination of arc-welding and plasma cutting and just erodes the gently caress out of the rails. For example, one technique they tried but didn't work out was injecting a layer of plasma between the rail and armature to act as a buffer to keep the hottest part of the arc away from the rail.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

genderstomper58 posted:

heat sinks, lubrication and software optimization also

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

grover posted:

Crazy alloys and novel techniques, yep. But I think the ultimate answer will be something they haven't even tried yet. High-energy plasma from the 3 million amp electrical arc is like a combination of arc-welding and plasma cutting and just erodes the gently caress out of the rails. For example, one technique they tried but didn't work out was injecting a layer of plasma between the rail and armature to act as a buffer to keep the hottest part of the arc away from the rail.

Haha thats wayyyyy out of my league

I don't really see how they could cool the barrel enough as it fires to reduce wear considering the velocity involved and just how fast it would heat up, but yeah I guess I didn't think of lubrication to try and reduce friction

iceslice
May 20, 2005

front wing flexing posted:

heat sinks, lubrication and software optimization also

I just imagine some E2 squirting like 3,000 gallons of Arctic Silver 5 down the barrel between shots.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
can there be a future weapons thread or something because I have some questions about rail guns and I know vas will come in here and lock it down again if this gets taken too far.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

can there be a future weapons thread or something because I have some questions about rail guns and I know vas will come in here and lock it down again if this gets taken too far.

I'm amazed that grover hasn't created one or someone dedicated one to him.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

RIGHT...?

I can't believe you watched that video and what surprised you the most was the big ABORT button

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
I wonder what's with the red laser that appears on the dude's leg at 0:12 in the Railgun video..

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

grover posted:

The reality it is that this thing is going to be fired by a 17 year old kid who just barely managed to not fail out of high school and needs a detailed procedure to pick his own loving nose. That's what the interface is designed for. All the scientific data you'd be expecting to see is occurring so fast it's impossible to digest in real-time and is recorded and analyzed afterwards.

Yeah,figures. I wasn't trying to imply this was the final control interface, I've just never really seen any experimental weapon control interfaces, so I was somewhat surprised at the simplicity.

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Well, this one about rail guns didn't end up doing too well.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah,figures. I wasn't trying to imply this was the final control interface, I've just never really seen any experimental weapon control interfaces, so I was somewhat surprised at the simplicity.
Honestly, a lot of industrial controllers are really simple like that. It's very easy to program and completely unambiguous, and there is little risk of hitting the wrong button if the buttons are that big. Since everything runs through PLCs, it's cheaper and easier just to program virtual buttons than to make a control panel with physical buttons.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well, this one about rail guns didn't end up doing too well.
That was GBS; threads like that in GiP tend to do much better.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
I'm pretty sure the interface is NI's Labview, its easy to hook up a variety of instruments to it and it doesn't require actual coding. Very robust if implemented correctly and entire factories depend on it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bensa posted:

I'm pretty sure the interface is NI's Labview, its easy to hook up a variety of instruments to it and it doesn't require actual coding. Very robust if implemented correctly and entire factories depend on it.

Was just about to post this, is that loving LabView of all things controlling the Railgun?

Also I think there was a future weapons thread at some point here, might have fallen into archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I'll go dig up the latest on combat lasers and the XM-29 and post a future weapons thread; it's been a while since the last one anyhow.

While you're waiting, enjoy this photo of an Il-76 packing a giant loving laser. No, it's not a cold-war relic, it's an ongoing project the Russians successfully tested in 2009 and are still moving forward, with new testing of the upgraded system planned this year.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 18, 2013

• Locked thread