Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Alchenar posted:

It also allows for the system to account for your Allies/Client states who simply don't care that you're gobbling up all your neighbours because you are best mates.
It would be cool if it did, but in the dev diary screenshot you see a vassal and ally that's pissed at you because of Aggressive Expansion, which is a different penalty from Conquered Our Province.

That does look like Aggressive Expansion works like the old badboy in terms of hurting relationships with all countries (though not necessarily anything else). Darkrenown, am I guessing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

It would be cool if it did, but in the dev diary screenshot you see a vassal and ally that's pissed at you because of Aggressive Expansion, which is a different penalty from Conquered Our Province.

That does look like Aggressive Expansion works like the old badboy in terms of hurting relationships with all countries (though not necessarily anything else). Darkrenown, am I guessing wrong?

Yeah but the bonuses averaged out so despite taking one of 'their' provinces being a longstanding ally who's in the past intervened in a war on their behalf means that on balance it's a satisfied little vassal.

What EU4 really needs is a national level version of plots: "I'm pulling together a coalition to cut France down to size, who's in?"

('Coalitions' are also a concept I'd like. There are many reasons why you'd want to fight a war with someone but not fall into a long-term alliance with them, an alliance 'for the duration of this war' would also be a starting structure for sorting out the mess of end-of-war peace settlements.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

NihilCredo posted:

All I can say at the moment is bear in mind these are alpha screenshots, don't take specific values in tooltips as gospel. The screenshot was more to show how the UI looks than to give you the exact mechanics of how it works.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Johan posted:

But our commitment to transparency and clarity is seen in the standard diplomatic menu.

Didn't I tell you guys Paradox was just going to completely rip off Magnu Mundi?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The real penalty of badboy was being unable to trade outside your own centers of trade after any conquest.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Funnily enough what I find most interesting in that screenshot is that we apparently get to earn nicknames for our nation's leaders :allears:

Re: the opinion/diplomacy changes they definitely look like a step in the right direction, and I'm hopeful that Paradox will manage to balance it well. Though even if they don't there's always modding.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darkrenown posted:

All I can say at the moment is bear in mind these are alpha screenshots, don't take specific values in tooltips as gospel. The screenshot was more to show how the UI looks than to give you the exact mechanics of how it works.
This quote from Johan certainly seems to confirm this:

Johan on the Paradox forums posted:

Impact of expansion depends on what you conquer and how those countries view it.

Poland won't care much if you conquer Tangiers as Castille, but Aragon & Portugal may be a bit wary, while Morocco & Algiers will hate it.
Which is pretty much what people have been clamoring for for years.

Mirdini posted:

Funnily enough what I find most interesting in that screenshot is that we apparently get to earn nicknames for our nation's leaders :allears:
Could be that they have just given him his real life nickname, since he's one of the starting rulers.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Johan posted:

Impact of expansion depends on what you conquer and how those countries view it.

Poland won't care much if you conquer Tangiers as Castille, but Aragon & Portugal may be a bit wary, while Morocco & Algiers will hate it.

How will this work with nations like Britain? For centuries, one of the central principles of their foreign policy was to keep Europe as divided as possible; Balance of Power and all that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
As long as "Send gift" isn't right next to "Send insult" anymore, I'll be pretty happy with diplomacy.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I like that there's apparently a modifier for having fought 'to the end' of a war instead of bailing out with a white peace.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
A "fought to the end" bonus for (what I assume/speculate) is staying in a war until it actually concludes? Excellent. Less instead white peaces.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

quote:

Then we have the things that people will eventually stop caring about or will have less importance in how they think of you. These are relation values that will slowly decay over time. If you are familiar with Crusader Kings II, think of these as similar to the penalty for having your vassal’s levies in the field too long or the hit you take when a new king takes the throne; sooner or later these factors just go away. So, in EU4, for example, taking provinces will harm relations with countries (depending on how valuable that province is) but this resentment will fade as the years go on…

Paradox, have you even read your own forums? That resentment never goes away.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

EightDeer posted:

How will this work with nations like Britain? For centuries, one of the central principles of their foreign policy was to keep Europe as divided as possible; Balance of Power and all that.
Well, there is the rival system. If the British AI can figure which European country is the strongest*, it would be able to designate that as its rival and then alliances with continental powers would follow. Speculating a bit, perhaps being rivals would make aggressive conquests count for more? The new relations system does potentially allow for some interesting new national ideas though. 'Balance of Power' could be an idea that boosted the relations with rivals of rivals even more, to make it even easier to form a new alliance if you desire. Additionally, the idea could provide a reduction in war exhaustion** for allies who you have a connection to. (Which would make alliances more useful, and encourage you to protect the sea lanes to your allies to maintain this connection, while your enemy would be encouraged to cut them off.) Another idea might be 'Political Realism', which would reduce/remove the relation penalty of being a different religion/government type (both for you and others), and allowing relations with 1 additional country without upkeep. (First of course being more the English style, the second the French.) More diplomatic ideas would be pretty cool actually, given that the systems are apparently getting a bit of love.

*Perhaps also the one with the strongest navy.
**Or some other bonus that helps keep them in the war.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 18, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

It might help to break up that tooltip a bit, so if you conquered Alexandria, Mecca, and Libya as France you might, when looking at Egypt see:

Infidel holding our co-religionist provinces (Alexandria, Mecca, Libya) - 30
You have conquered our core province (Alexandria) -50
You have conquered a province of our culture (Alexandria) - 30
You have conquered a province on our border (Libya) -10
You have conquered a province of our friend (Hejaz - Mecca) -20
Total -140

That would be a lot more informative then just 'Aggressive Expansion' -140

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Fintilgin posted:

It might help to break up that tooltip a bit, so if you conquered Alexandria, Mecca, and Libya as France you might, when looking at Egypt see:

Total -140

A system using this distribution of relation penalties (and bonuses!) would make lots of sense and will be more interesting to play than the old system. More interesting diplomacy is great, and this could help the AI to take more sensible decision, for instance helping taking Mecca back from infidels instead of randomly attacking Tunisia in a war of aggression for instance.

Also, "fought to the end" is a great modifier and the AI shouldn't ignore the fact that you for bailed out of a war as it just started.

Will March of the Eagles integrate a similar diplomacy system, or will that be just for EU IV?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Total -140

That would be really nice right up until you've captured a dozen provinces and have a giant spew of lines that occupy the full screen. If there was a way to have it show the expanded information when it's only a few modifiers, and a more condensed one when there are a ton of modifiers that would be perfect.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

SeaTard posted:

That would be really nice right up until you've captured a dozen provinces and have a giant spew of lines that occupy the full screen. If there was a way to have it show the expanded information when it's only a few modifiers, and a more condensed one when there are a ton of modifiers that would be perfect.

Or a condensed version by default, and you can expand each line to see what exact provinces they're angry about by clicking it.

aerie
Aug 29, 2009

mrpwase posted:

Paradox, have you even read your own forums? That resentment never goes away.

We do, and others as well.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

SeaTard posted:

Yeah, I guess you could replace the province names with a number of provinces instead, so (3) or (1) or whatever. I imagine the player can figure out which is which on their own in 99% of cases.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I guess you could replace the province names with a number of provinces instead, so (3) or (1) or whatever. I imagine the player can figure out which is which on their own in 99% of cases.

As is, the Unlawful HRE Territory penalty just displays the number of provinces and I think that works well enough. Alternatively it could include Crusader Kings II-esque symbols with pop-out messages for each province (like blockade notifications work now).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Has there been any talk hereabouts about March of the Eagles? Seems like a Napoleonic-era game focused more on warfare. I hadn't heard of it at all till I wandered past Paradox's main website on a whim today. Any opinions on this? Is it basically "Paradox's take on Napoleon: Total War"?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 19, 2013

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

DrSunshine posted:

Has there been any talk hereabouts about March of the Eagles? Seems like a Napoleonic-era game focused more on warfare. I hadn't heard of it at all till I wandered past Paradox's main website on a whim today. Any opinions on this?

From my take on it, anyway, the goons in this thread are either approaching it as a EU-HoI blend (a Europa game that has a bigger focus on more immediate warfare), which should be pretty cool, or they see it as a Beta for EU4 a la Sengoku. Some people seem kinda pessimistic about it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see features from MotE being implemented into EU4 (or problems in MotE being addressed with new mechanics in EU4), but I'm hoping that March of the Eagles fills the niche for Napoleonic warfare that isn't quite suited for the EU series or the Vicky series. If it's anything like HoI-level micromanaging, though, I may not be very good at it at all :smith:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

March of the Eagles was an AGEOD game before Paradox let them go. They took what work AGEOD did and EU-ified it, it seems. There's been some intermittent discussions on it in the last few months when developer diaries come out. For what it's worth, it seems to me like it will be its own game and not an EU4 prototype like some people fear. Stuff like its military systems seem custom designed just for it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrSunshine posted:

Has there been any talk hereabouts about March of the Eagles? Seems like a Napoleonic-era game focused more on warfare. I hadn't heard of it at all till I wandered past Paradox's main website on a whim today. Any opinions on this? Is it basically "Paradox's take on Napoleon: Total War"?
I'm a lot more excited about MOTE than EU4, honestly. I guess it's because I usually go Maximum Hitler no matter which Paradox game I'm playing, but also because I always felt like the non-HOI games could have used more elaborate combat systems, where you worry about leaders and supply lines and troop types and terrain (more than you already do).

CK2 already does this to a degree, although don't nearly have as much control over your troop composition.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I tend to find the combat to be the least interesting part of Paradox games, so I find it hard to work up any enthusiasm for March of the Eagles. I'd probably be really interested if it was a global game covering the Age of Revolutions from like, I dunno, 1750-1836, with a dynamic 'French' Revolution able to happen to other European countries, revolutions in the Americas, some form of social modelling etc. But a scripted Napoleonic war scenario?

Meh. :geno:

EDIT: Of course, I also think the Hearts of Iron franchise should have been a game covering 1901-2001 and be way less war focused, allowing for alternate WW2s and Cold Wars, etc.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 20, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Of course, I also think the Hearts of Iron franchise should have been a game covering 1901-2001 and be way less war focused, allowing for alternate WW2s and Cold Wars, etc.

Somebody should just kickstart/develop a modern Shadow President already. Superpower is more concerned about giving you a big shiny map and throwing lots of numbers around rather than actually giving you meaningful and informed choices :sigh:

EDIT: I'm looking forward to re-creating shadowpresident.gif in East vs West :getin:

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 20, 2013

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
I've been playing a bit more with EU3+ and I have a question, is it possible to keep a low inflation at all? Advisers take a measly 0.01% and full centralization takes out like 0.02% (or was it 0.2%). My inflation is growing steadily but everyone else is 0, only a couple of Muslim countries have some inflation and it's like 1% or so. I have to mint a ton with Naples to not go bankrupt, if I'm in war I have to move the slider so much that I start accumulating 0.5% inflation a year...

Is it supposed to be like this or am I missing something? :confused:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

theghostpt posted:

I've been playing a bit more with EU3+ and I have a question, is it possible to keep a low inflation at all? Advisers take a measly 0.01% and full centralization takes out like 0.02% (or was it 0.2%). My inflation is growing steadily but everyone else is 0, only a couple of Muslim countries have some inflation and it's like 1% or so. I have to mint a ton with Naples to not go bankrupt, if I'm in war I have to move the slider so much that I start accumulating 0.5% inflation a year...

Early game you will be minting quite a lot. So long as you don't hit 20% before you start to stabilize, you'll be fine. Once you grab Italy, you'll be able to get in under control pretty easily.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

theghostpt posted:

I've had successful Eu3+ games where I've built up as much as like 20-30% inflation before bringing it back down later. Depending on who you start as, it's just too important to start building up to your forcelimits as soon as possible. You can't afford to do that just with the cash you start with. It's also tough to lay down your initial foundation of economic buildings if you're maintaining a standing army near your forcelimits too, so a little minting to get up some workshops at least is pretty understandable. Later on when you have the gold standard, a tax assessor, national bank, and/or some good advisors you can bring it back down.

The AI gets extra inflation reduction, so don't try to compare your own inflation strategy with how the AI is handling theirs or you'll get frustrated. You'll probably need to mint even more if you're doing any colonization or maintaining a bunch of active missionaries. Naval powers probably need to mint more too, because ships are expensive.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm about 100 years into my first proper game of EU3 after being converted to Paradox games by CKII and I can't work out how Austria are kicking my rear end (Switzerland) so hard in the war they've just declared on me. I'm losing defensive battles where I have a numerical advantage, a general when they don't and cannons when they don't. Is there anything I could be missing out on that's causing my army to be crap? I've kept the military maintenance at full for basically the whole game since I'm making money hand over the fist and I've got full land vs navy on the sliders. It's just really winding me up since there's no reason they should be able to take me down as quickly as they are because they're fighting wars against Hungary and France and I've been financing Lombard uprisings in their territories pretty much every time I get a spy to try and whittle them down.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You probably have less Morale than they do. Check and see if they have the national idea that gives additional morale. Other than that, I can't really think.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Graham Gremlin posted:

I'm about 100 years into my first proper game of EU3 after being converted to Paradox games by CKII and I can't work out how Austria are kicking my rear end (Switzerland) so hard in the war they've just declared on me. I'm losing defensive battles where I have a numerical advantage, a general when they don't and cannons when they don't. Is there anything I could be missing out on that's causing my army to be crap? I've kept the military maintenance at full for basically the whole game since I'm making money hand over the fist and I've got full land vs navy on the sliders. It's just really winding me up since there's no reason they should be able to take me down as quickly as they are because they're fighting wars against Hungary and France and I've been financing Lombard uprisings in their territories pretty much every time I get a spy to try and whittle them down.

What's your Land Tech level relative to theirs?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Graham Gremlin posted:

They probably have more military ideas. check their national info for details. likely more morale, maybe better troops than you. also what is the composition of your armies.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Also maybe you don't have enough infantry? Artillery is nice to have but without a meat shield in front it just dies.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

NihilCredo posted:

Also maybe you don't have enough infantry? Artillery is nice to have but without a meat shield in front it just dies.

Also, if you have less infantry than the enemy you'll get flanked by his cavalry. Combat got a lot easier for me when I realized how that works.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Basically, have infantry = to his frontline + 4 cav. Then cannons. for example early on the AI likes to run 15k stacks if you run 20, do 8 infantry 4 cav 8 artillery. or 16 infantry 4 cav before cannon.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I tried infantry = artillery armies for a bit, but it makes it really easy for a large army of yours to get boned when your infantry starts dropping out from morale loss and your artillery has nothing guarding it anymore. I think that something along the lines of 12/4/4 might be more resilient than 8/4/8.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Kersch posted:

I tried infantry = artillery armies for a bit, but it makes it really easy for a large army of yours to get boned when your infantry starts dropping out from morale loss and your artillery has nothing guarding it anymore. I think that something along the lines of 12/4/4 might be more resilient than 8/4/8.

Same here. I seem to have better look forgoing artillery altogether and just getting lots of shock modifiers for my infantry and cavalry (though I usually get bored with my games around the 1650's so maybe things change in the last century).

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kersch posted:

8/4/6 seems to be best in my opinion - the infantry on the flanks are somewhat exposed without the artillery, but that's what the cav are for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Graham Gremlin posted:

How's your land tech? You have to manually update your units, to make sure you've got the newest available infantry types. Have you got enough cavalry? You need just under half of your units as cavalry to get the most out of the mixed unit bonus.

• Locked thread