Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The New York Times just did an article on American single-malts, starting with that Balcones: American Single-Malt Whiskeys Serve Notice

quote:

THE humid streets of Waco, Tex., may not have much in common with the misty glens of Scotland, home to some of the world’s best malt whiskeys.

Not much, that is, until last month, when a single-malt whiskey from the Balcones Distillery in Waco bested nine others, including storied Scottish names like the Balvenie and the Macallan, in a blind panel of British spirits experts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
Thanks guys.

I ran across this thread quite by accident yesterday and then had to buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10 on the way home and then broke back into the bottle of Talisker 10 I hadn't touched in almost a year. I won't say that I'd forgotten how much I like scotch, but the reminder was nice.

On another happy note, the liquor store where I got my Laphraoig listed it at $45 but it rang up at $35 without a sale sign. I'm hoping their computer is broken and they never fix it.

NewcastleBrown fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 17, 2013

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012

dug fin posted:

I don't mind picking up some Irish to review if you have any requests. I moved from the states to Dublin in the middle of last year, so Irish whiskey especially is quite easy for me to get.

I've mostly stuck with trying different types of Connemara since it's the only Irish peated, but I don't mind branching out a bit if it'll help anyone.

I appreciate it, but it's not necessary. The Single Pot Stilled whiskeys that I've had are drat fine, but generally too expensive for me to just buy blind (my bottles of Green and Yellow Spot were both gifts). I was just wondering if any of the new SPS's continue the run of excellence is all.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Glottis posted:

I picked up some Weller 12 the other day based on recommendations I've seen around and I think it definitely lives up to the hype. Excellent flavor and smoothness for the price. Makes me want to set up another blind whiskey tasting with some people.

Weller 12 is one of my favorites. Kind of a PITA to find around here sometimes unless you want to pay mig $30's for it. I always keep it a couple bottles handy.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 17, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

NightConqueror posted:

Holy cow. Looks like Stitzel-Weller is going to be making bourbon again

Any idea what this'll do to the price of Pappy? In my opinion it's such a cult item now that people are willing to pay extravagant sums just because of the name on it. I mean, more and more of it now is just Buffalo Trace. Either way, this is pretty cool news.

Nor sure if it will do anything about the price of Pappy. Pappy probably won't change back to using Stitzel-Weller juice, and knowing Diaego they will engineer, improve, and make the distillery so much more effecient that it won't be the same as the old stuff anyway. I wish them well, and I'm hoping for the best. Stitzel-Weller made some of my favorites but that juice is probably gone forever.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

prefect posted:

The New York Times just did an article on American single-malts, starting with that Balcones: American Single-Malt Whiskeys Serve Notice

A visit to the Distillery is now high on my list of things to do when I've got a free weekend.

Well, let me backup a little. I stopped on the way home to liberate a bottle. :science:
The store had it sorted with the bourbons so it took me a while to locate, but they did
have the entire product line available. I'll take suggestions on the next bottle to buy
if anyone can't find it locally.

The first thing I noticed was that this is cask strength at 52% Alc/vol. That was written
on the label in silver ink. Turning the bottle around, there is a white label that is hand
written with the Batch number, Date, and finish.

Mine is Batch SM12.6 Date 8/21/12
Finish: Ex Bourbon, AM/FR Yard Aged Oak

They also note that the Whisky is "Non-Chill Filtered, As Always"

Pouring it into a glass
The whisky is a warm amber with a slightly sweet nose. It sort of reminds me of honey or wild flowers.
The first taste: It felt thick on my tongue, with a huge after taste of spice. I didn't care for it
very much even after a second sample.

I added a touch of water to bring it down to about 40% and then tried it again.
Much nicer. It still coats my tongue, but its a smooth silky feel. I can taste a hint of smoke at
the beginning and then it follows into a warmth of spice at the end.

I really believe that I'll be good friends with Balcones in the coming month

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
I read that New York Times article today too and was immediately intrigued by the Clear Creek Distillery product mentioned in it. I'm a huge Lagavulin fan so it sounds like it would be right up my alley/bunghole.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Smokewagon posted:

Nor sure if it will do anything about the price of Pappy. Pappy probably won't change back to using Stitzel-Weller juice, and knowing Diaego they will engineer, improve, and make the distillery so much more effecient that it won't be the same as the old stuff anyway. I wish them well, and I'm hoping for the best. Stitzel-Weller made some of my favorites but that juice is probably gone forever.
Yeah I suppose it just means that Bulleit will be made there instead of being contracted out to Four Roses.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Bunk Rogers posted:

A good friend of mine has stumbled across an odd rumor that several unmarked barrels of Pappy we're recently found and bottled under Jefferson's name. Needless to say they're selling without the crazy markup and he's bought us a couple bottles for the holiday.

Have any of you heard anything of this?

Update on this.

Its loving great.

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

spankmeister posted:

Got some Pig's Nose today. Jury's still out but it is indeed as soft as a pig's nose. Liking it so far.

I got a sample of this from the MoM christmas calendar, I remember it starting decently but in the end being way way too sweet for me.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

smn posted:

I got a sample of this from the MoM christmas calendar, I remember it starting decently but in the end being way way too sweet for me.

Out of curiosity, what ended up being the claimed "sample of 50 year old Scotch whisky" in the calendar?

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Bunk Rogers posted:

Update on this.

Its loving great.

I must have missed your previous post. They do claim it is Stitzel-Weller juice from the last year of production. I suppose it could be "Pappy" but who knows. I have't tried it yet, but I do plan on it. I'm a huge fan of wheated bourbon and it is on my list. Do you have any tasting notes you care to share?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Smokewagon posted:

I must have missed your previous post. They do claim it is Stitzel-Weller juice from the last year of production. I suppose it could be "Pappy" but who knows. I have't tried it yet, but I do plan on it. I'm a huge fan of wheated bourbon and it is on my list. Do you have any tasting notes you care to share?

I'm no expert but it tastes of caramel. I convinced my wife and her friends to take a couple sips, both of whom really don't like bourbon and they thought it was wonderful and smooth. My previous favorite bourbon was Blanton's with then lesser pappy coming in a bit behind and this absolutely smoked both of those.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Bunk Rogers posted:

I'm no expert but it tastes of caramel. I convinced my wife and her friends to take a couple sips, both of whom really don't like bourbon and they thought it was wonderful and smooth. My previous favorite bourbon was Blanton's with then lesser pappy coming in a bit behind and this absolutely smoked both of those.

Thank you, I've talked to a few people whose first comment was caramel regarding their first tatse of Presidential Select. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 22, 2013

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Telamon posted:

I read that New York Times article today too and was immediately intrigued by the Clear Creek Distillery product mentioned in it. I'm a huge Lagavulin fan so it sounds like it would be right up my alley/bunghole.
Just got a bottle of this. It's good stuff - smells great, taste is sweeter and not as peaty than the nose would suggest. Very impressive for only 3 years old, though for the money I'd probably prefer a similarly-priced Laphroaig or Ardbeg. These guys have potential for sure, and I'd have no problem trying it again.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Well holy poo poo, I'm gonna be spending more of my forums time over here.

I have about 25 bottles of Whisky, mostly single malt scotch, in my cabinet, the biggest portion of them is expressions of Ardbeg. and SMWSA bottles. I'm all about the Islay but definitely enjoy venturing into the rest of Scotland as well.

I'm an Ardbeg fanboy, I've tried almost all of the releases they've put out in the last while (Airigh Nam Beist, Uighedahl, Corryvreckan, Rollercoaster, Alligator, Ardbeg Day, Gallileo) and enjoyed most of them (Corryvreckan was too much pepper for me).

The two most distinctive things in my cabinet at the moment outside of SMWSA bottles are.

Corsair Triple Smoke: An american whiskey blend of 3 batches of smoked barley, one with beechwood, one with cherry wood, one with peat. It's an american bourbon that owes a LOT to islay but keeps the smoke streamlined -- it doesn't overwhelm the mouthfeel. Recommend wholeheartedly.

Ledaig: 10 Year -- From the Isle of Mull. A really wonderful sweet-peat balance in this, and it's a amount of peat that you don't generally get without a lot more smoke.

Are there any fellow SMWSA members here?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

In the previous thread I waxed lyrical about the Yamazaki Sherry Cask. Well I've picked up his buddy the Yamazaki Bourbon Cask and I've fallen in love all over again.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmmm might be time for a trip to the old MoM site.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Ledaig: 10 Year -- From the Isle of Mull. A really wonderful sweet-peat balance in this, and it's a amount of peat that you don't generally get without a lot more smoke.

This is one that's caught my eye, recently. It seems to be priced rather reasonably and is supposed to be quite good to boot. It might be fun to try another peated whisky not from Islay.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

NightConqueror posted:

This is one that's caught my eye, recently. It seems to be priced rather reasonably and is supposed to be quite good to boot. It might be fun to try another peated whisky not from Islay.

Ledaig 10 is one of the more distinctive drams I've had in a long while. Not at all expensive but weirdly rare, so if you can find it and are in the mood for a non islay peat, I'd recommend picking it up.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Ledaig 10 is one of the more distinctive drams I've had in a long while. Not at all expensive but weirdly rare, so if you can find it and are in the mood for a non islay peat, I'd recommend picking it up.
Basically the story behind Tobermory/Ledaig is that it was in financial ruin through the 80s until Burn Stewart bought it in the 90s for pennies. That's why it's rare, it hasn't full recovered from being regarded as a second-rate distillery, though Burn Stewart has put a lot of work into bumping up the quality in all its brands...Bunnahabhain and Deanston included. Just about everything they make is bottled at 46% and non-chill-filtered. Some of the oldest expressions are 40/43%, but that's alright.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 26, 2013

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Thanks for the scoop. I've heard Excellent things about the Bunnahabhain 18 but have only tried the 12 so far.

I haven't gone through the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been done to death, but what are people's thoughts on Chill Filtration?

I've had the opportunity to taste Edradour 10 standard and Edradour 10 Non-Chill filtered (A Signatory bottling) and actually preferred the standard release. It was smoother and let the fruit notes shine through more clearly, and I didn't feel like I was missing a whole lot of nuance from the non-chill filtered version.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
Just wondering if anyone has tried the new unaged jack Daniels rye.

I am kind of interested I'm new to whiskeys so i am trying a bunch of different types.

deathfalls
Oct 28, 2003
death cult armageddon
Is WhistlePig Rye supposed to be pretty pricey?
I ran across a bottle of it around here but it's $99.
Seems kinda steep for a rye considering most of them I've bought in the past were under $50

I've got a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye, Bulleit Rye, Sazerac, Thomas H. Handy and Rittenhouse currently.
Haven't quite decided on a favorite, though the Rittenhouse is pretty much almost gone.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
My favorite Rye is definitely the Hudson Valley distillery's Manhattan Rye. It's the only thing of theirs i like. The Baby Bourbon is distasteful, the corn is horrendous despite smelling pretty nice, and the four grain is like mixing their wonderful rye with their lovely corn.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

My favorite Rye is definitely the Hudson Valley distillery's Manhattan Rye. It's the only thing of theirs i like. The Baby Bourbon is distasteful, the corn is horrendous despite smelling pretty nice, and the four grain is like mixing their wonderful rye with their lovely corn.
I've only tried their single malt and it tasting like rotting apples.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

deathfalls posted:

Is WhistlePig Rye supposed to be pretty pricey?
I ran across a bottle of it around here but it's $99.
Seems kinda steep for a rye considering most of them I've bought in the past were under $50

I don't know the usual retail, but over $50 is almost guaranteed. $100 is probably too high, though. I had a little of it last night and it's some really nice rye with a lot of nice complexity. The Thomas Handy I had (friend just got a bunch of spirits as a gift), on the other hand, was an incredible punch in the face of RYE and RYE BREAD.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

swatjr posted:

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new unaged jack Daniels rye.

I am kind of interested I'm new to whiskeys so i am trying a bunch of different types.

The JD unaged rye is pretty terrible. It's top of the terrible list of all the unaged whisky i've tried. It is the first unaged rye i have ever tried however. But I'll take just about every other unaged whisky I've ever had over it before i'll ever drink it again.

Full disclosure: I'm kind of hillbilly so i've grown fond of the family recipe, though it usually gets aged a bit before I get into it anyway.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

ChickenArise posted:

I don't know the usual retail, but over $50 is almost guaranteed. $100 is probably too high, though. I had a little of it last night and it's some really nice rye with a lot of nice complexity. The Thomas Handy I had (friend just got a bunch of spirits as a gift), on the other hand, was an incredible punch in the face of RYE and RYE BREAD.

$100 is way too high for Whistle Pig. Highest I've seen around here is a penny under $70.

Speaking of the Thomas H Handy, I passed up on a bottle of it. I just can't bring myself to pay $69 for what seems to me is uncut Sazerac 6yr, which costs almost 1/3 of the price. I haven't tasted it yet though, it could be the best rye out there and i'm missing out.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 27, 2013

brac2009
Apr 15, 2010
I got two bottles of highland park 12 tonight for 26.99 a piece.

This is my first time having any other scotch than Johnnie Walker. I didn't know what to think at first taste, but I've found that I'm pretty found of it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That's a great price. Be happy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

biglads posted:

In the previous thread I waxed lyrical about the Yamazaki Sherry Cask. Well I've picked up his buddy the Yamazaki Bourbon Cask and I've fallen in love all over again.

I'm a huge fan of the Yamazaki sherry cask. I'll need to go find a bottle of this.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A good coworker of mine is leaving, and he's a big bourbon fan, some other folks have gotten him some decent bottles of bourbon, but I think I'd like to get him a really nice bottle. I've known the guy almost 10 years, so say under 100 bucks. I'm in Texas, I was thinking maybe Garrison Brothers which I think is around 80 bucks at Specs. He's a country rear end dude from Arkansas so bonus points if it comes in a mason jar (corn whiskey is cool too).

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

skipdogg posted:

A good coworker of mine is leaving, and he's a big bourbon fan, some other folks have gotten him some decent bottles of bourbon, but I think I'd like to get him a really nice bottle. I've known the guy almost 10 years, so say under 100 bucks. I'm in Texas, I was thinking maybe Garrison Brothers which I think is around 80 bucks at Specs. He's a country rear end dude from Arkansas so bonus points if it comes in a mason jar (corn whiskey is cool too).

Willett. Or it's 18 year old 100 Proof big brother. This is my favorite bourbon -- it has a sort of chewiness that is the nicest thing about the pappy van winkle 23 (but honestly the van winkle 12 is a better bourbon for my money)

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

skipdogg posted:

My favorite burbon is Woodford Reserve, some random guy I met at a computer security conference lived where they make it and got me started on it. I have tried quite a few other burbons and always come back to the Woodford. I have not met someone yet who did not like it, even if they are not a whisky person. If it has to be extra special I'm pretty sure they make a special reserve version that cost a lot. It is very smooth and sweet. Perhaps boringly so, but I love it. Pretty much the opposite of what a lot of the scotch drinkers in this thread are looking for.

On that note, I bought myself a bottle of Redbreast 15. I have not had the 12 in sometime so it's hard to say how it compares, but man it is good. So clean, so fresh spring watery.... going to pour myself a few fingers now :)

EDIT: http://cocktails.about.com/od/whiskeyreviews/gr/woodford_mcseasonoak.htm Found it. I have not tired this, but if someone was buying me a nice bottle of bourbon I would love to receive this.

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 29, 2013

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I got Highland Park 12 on recommendations in this thread, and boy is it delicious. It's like a golden elixir of... awesome. I've only had the bottle for a couple weeks and I've nearly finished it.

Yesterday I got a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year because it was on sale for 28$, I like it, but not as much as the highland park.

Looking forward to trying even more things in the future, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for recommendations :)

I've not had much in the way of bourbon, and I may have to get a bottle of something to see how I like it compared to scotch. I saw eagle rare single barrel for around 22$ and that seemed like a low price. Anyone have opinions on it?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I just polished off a bottle and I didn't love it. In that general price range I prefer Dickle No. 12 sipping whisky. The Eagle Rare was fine for mixing, but I got too much alcohol and unbalanced wood even with dilution. I've still got a few more that I want to try, because having something ~$25 seems alike a good idea.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Sometimes you just have to give into the big, soulless distilleries. Glenlivet 18yr for $65 is too good a deal compared to most other 18 year-old these days and is 'utterly drinkable.' Glenmorangie 18yr is more expensive and oddly a little boozier while Aberlour 18yr is outdone by its 2-years younger sibling (also around $65.)

Also picked up a cask strength OESV Four Roses Single Barrel. This is probably their least complex combination of mashbill and yeast, but then again I wanted a Four Roses bottling that wasn't quite as spicy as *everything* else in their range.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

derp posted:

I've not had much in the way of bourbon, and I may have to get a bottle of something to see how I like it compared to scotch. I saw eagle rare single barrel for around 22$ and that seemed like a low price. Anyone have opinions on it?

Try Buffalo Trace, Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel or Four Roses Small Batch (single barrel, if you want to jump to the $40ish price level). All of those are reasonably priced and really quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I had a glass of Talisker with dinner at a bar last night, what a kick in the mouth! I really enjoyed it but I don't think it's something I'd want to drink all the time. It calmed down a bit with a few drops of water, but I think I liked it better without any.