Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

You know, I'm kinda thinking he won't be involved in murders, the first one anyway. There's a bit too much comparison to be made to the first murderer/victim of the first game for me to think the game won't throw a curveball at us (as it so loves to do), but more importantly, there seems to be too much room for Souda to grow as a character for him to just be offed at the beginning like that. I've been trying to draw a common theme between all the survivors of the last game, and one of the main ones seemed to be character development. All the characters who killed in the last game were kind of static and kinda had nowhere to go as characters within the framework of the story. But Naegi, Togami, Fukawa/Syo, Hagakure (who you'll remember was also cowardly for a while), Asahina... they all changed drastically as the story developed, and evolved beyond their gimmicks.

Of course, it's far too early at this point to tell everyone who's going to do that, and of course, the game does love its curveballs. But I think Souda may make it till tomorrow.

I don't think potential character development is a good tool for making predictions.

I think Souda is a possible early murder victim because he is isolating himself. He's afraid and doesn't trust anyone and is trying to keep away from all of them, which could make him an easy target.

On the other hand, depending on how things go with him, this same behavior could also lead to him being an early murderer. If his fear of dying gets to the point that he can't take it anymore, he might snap and kill someone to try to save himself. It probably wouldn't be a very well planned or orchestrated murder, as his current mental state doesn't seem like it would lend itself to that.

So what I'm thinking is that unless he mellows out soon, he's not going to survive for much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think neither. He would be a convenient scapegoat for the first murder which is a great reason to not kill him. You have a ready-made alibi right there with Souda alienating everyone and disappearing away from the group with no one able to account for his whereabouts.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah that's a good idea too, I hadn't thought of that. Though it also seems like it would be a bit too clever for the first murder in the game.

Oh now I'm metagaming too, oops.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The real mastermind types would never make the first kill. The whole trial process contains too many unknowns. However, that still leaves the mentally unstable and just plain dumb students.

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I hate to repost this image, but why has nobody mentioned the wires around her legs? It looks like somebody pulled her over.

Knowing Dangan Ronpa this scene will probably end up being the thing that convicts the culprit of the first trial in the end or be in some way very important to the case. Either way Mikan will probably be heavily involved in the case.

On a side note, I watched the first intro again and I noticed something interesting. All the female characters in the intro (With the exception of one) get their whole bodies viewed by the camera and all the male characters (With the exception of one) don't. The exceptions are our main character who gets a full body shot from the camera and Ibuki who just gets the same amount of screen as the guys. While the Main character seems ordinary and fine Ibuki seems a bit odd...maybe I'm just looking too much into this.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

orenronen posted:

Go forth, my Four Dark Gods of Destruction... and feed!

I'm going to be sad if this guy doesn't make it at least halfway through the game. His over-the-top 8th-Grader Syndrome is hilarious.

I'm also a bit surprised that Kuzuryuu didn't object to Togami nominating himself leader. I figured he might throw his own hat into the ring for consideration as a leader, given that he's apparently the heir to a crime syndicate. Though upon further consideration, it makes sense that he hasn't, given his attitude towards the rest of the cast thus far.

Still, if nothing else, I'd have expected something along the lines of a, "gently caress you, you're not the boss of me, fatass," from him.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

And so Togami declares himself leader, to no one's surprise. Fatogami on the whole seems to be a lot more proactive and significantly less of a condescending rear end in a top hat than Togami was during DR1's early game. In fact, weight and food quips aside, his behavior sort of resembles how Togami mellowed out considerably in the endgame last time. Certainly adds an extra notch of plausibility to the whole "Fatogami==Togami" argument, at the very least.

orenronen posted:

You fool... Do you have any idea how much money it took to get my body this way?
...Oh god, he totally became fat on purpose, didn't he? Perhaps there might be something to the comedy option of deliberately gaining weight to scare off Syo after all... :tinfoil:

As for Souda, his increasingly scaredy-cat paranoid behavior is rapidly becoming... off-putting. I don't so much see him as the first victim, but as the first murderer. Maybe he wouldn't actually plan on killing anyone, but given Souda's current state of mind I can easily picture him flipping out and killing someone in self-defense. Unfortunately, knowing Monobear, a murder in self-defense would still count as a murder. :smith:

Walterion posted:

If the scenario is ''Someone kill or I will blow you all up with the mono bomb'', then we are in some something strange.

Sadly I think this is exactly what's happening here. I'll be honest, I was expecting something like this to come up since that countdown at the end of the actual OP video, though I certainly wasn't expecting Monobear to pull that card right at the beginning of the game.

Incidentally, this right here is probably the biggest indicator that there might be someone different behind Monobear 2.0. Junko never directly forced an outcome during the last game, however hard she tried to twist the students' arms by giving them all those 'motivations'. She was certainly irrational and very whimsical at times, and even though she interfered with the investigations for Sakura's death and outright faked an entire crime scene during Mukuro's trial, she always stayed within the rules. In the end she even gracefully accepted defeat after being cornered in the final trial, when she could've just Gungnir'd them all to death on the spot. However hosed in the head Junko may have been, one must ultimately recognize her game was entirely fair.

Monobear 2.0, on the other hand, comes off significantly more rational and calculating, even though he's really just as ridiculous and over-the-top as the original. He wasted no time nor words in laying down the law for this murder game, and immediately resorted to four giant loving robot monsters as his preferred method for enforcing his will. This Monobear is clearly out for blood from the get-go, and he doesn't care at all if his game is fair or even winnable to start with. He doesn't have to give the students any fancy motives to kill each other this time around; there's really no better motivation than time itself. Actually, from a tactical standpoint, threatening the students with a bomb that could theoretically blow the whole archipelago sky-high if no one dies within X number of days* is quite probably the best way to counter the possibility of students banding together to subvert the game like last time. By forcing a time limit on the murders, Monobear essentially makes participation in his "School Trip of Mutual Killing" mandatory, ultimately snuffing out any potential alliances since someone has to die every round for the remaining students to survive. Naturally, this also ensures only one person can survive until the end, since the timer will probably reset after every trial.

*Most likely three, potentially subject to change depending on how bored Monobear becomes with the current status quo

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
Fatogami strikes me as being the likely first death, if there's a mole like last time chances are good they will be aimed straight at him to bring about despair.

December Octopodes fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 19, 2013

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Mersenne posted:

As for Souda, his increasingly scaredy-cat paranoid behavior is rapidly becoming... off-putting. I don't so much see him as the first victim, but as the first murderer. Maybe he wouldn't actually plan on killing anyone, but given Souda's current state of mind I can easily picture him flipping out and killing someone in self-defense. Unfortunately, knowing Monobear, a murder in self-defense would still count as a murder. :smith:

That is literally the first case in the first game. They're not doing that again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In DR1, there were a lot of things that were obvious clues for the upcoming investigation and trial. Aside from the rule list, I haven't seen anything like that yet. Likewise, none of the individual locations have gotten much focus. To me, that implies that the first case hasn't even started being set up yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Regarding Koizumi, it's also interesting that she's already applying -chan to both Tsumiki and Sonia already, like Asahina. And do people refer to Sonia as Sonia, because 'Nevermind' is very foreign-sounding?

As for fanservice, recall they already have a somewhat fanservice-y moment in the prologue with the beach scene. I think it's relatively harmless either way so far.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Mersenne posted:

And so Togami declares himself leader, to no one's surprise. Fatogami on the whole seems to be a lot more proactive and significantly less of a condescending rear end in a top hat than Togami was during DR1's early game. In fact, weight and food quips aside, his behavior sort of resembles how Togami mellowed out considerably in the endgame last time. Certainly adds an extra notch of plausibility to the whole "Fatogami==Togami" argument, at the very least.

...Oh god, he totally became fat on purpose, didn't he? Perhaps there might be something to the comedy option of deliberately gaining weight to scare off Syo after all... :tinfoil:

Sadly I think this is exactly what's happening here. I'll be honest, I was expecting something like this to come up since that countdown at the end of the actual OP video, though I certainly wasn't expecting Monobear to pull that card right at the beginning of the game.

Incidentally, this right here is probably the biggest indicator that there might be someone different behind Monobear 2.0. Junko never directly forced an outcome during the last game, however hard she tried to twist the students' arms by giving them all those 'motivations'. She was certainly irrational and very whimsical at times, and even though she interfered with the investigations for Sakura's death and outright faked an entire crime scene during Mukuro's trial, she always stayed within the rules. In the end she even gracefully accepted defeat after being cornered in the final trial, when she could've just Gungnir'd them all to death on the spot. However hosed in the head Junko may have been, one must ultimately recognize her game was entirely fair.

Monobear 2.0, on the other hand, comes off significantly more rational and calculating, even though he's really just as ridiculous and over-the-top as the original. He wasted no time nor words in laying down the law for this murder game, and immediately resorted to four giant loving robot monsters as his preferred method for enforcing his will. This Monobear is clearly out for blood from the get-go, and he doesn't care at all if his game is fair or even winnable to start with. He doesn't have to give the students any fancy motives to kill each other this time around; there's really no better motivation than time itself. Actually, from a tactical standpoint, threatening the students with a bomb that could theoretically blow the whole archipelago sky-high if no one dies within X number of days* is quite probably the best way to counter the possibility of students banding together to subvert the game like last time. By forcing a time limit on the murders, Monobear essentially makes participation in his "School Trip of Mutual Killing" mandatory, ultimately snuffing out any potential alliances since someone has to die every round for the remaining students to survive. Naturally, this also ensures only one person can survive until the end, since the timer will probably reset after every trial.

*Most likely three, potentially subject to change depending on how bored Monobear becomes with the current status quo

I've definitely noticed ever since he first re-appeared that Monobear has something a lot more malicious and a lot less whimsical about him than before, so I think there's something substantial to what you're saying. It's been hard to place my finger on, but last time he definitely had the sort of twisted thing where he'd never actively be in the moral wrong according to his own heinous logic. He set things up so the kids would be locked in the school forever with nothing bad ever happening if they so choose and allowed them the option of murdering to escape. Then he could play innocent of forcing them to do anything and when he'd provoke them he'd say that it was their fault for falling for the provocation. But ever since he's shown up here he doesn't even seem to have the pretension of not being the bad guy.

Back here I put the rules for the first and second games together for comparison, but didn't think of something until shortly before this update that's now been confirmed as significant: last game's rules said no time limit would be imposed. This game's rules don't have an equivalent rule. There's our first important difference.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
The funny thing is, by doing this Monobear has essentially invalidated his whole existence as the Harbinger of Despair. Junko's whole schtick was to show how easy it was, with a few manipulations, for people to give into despair and kill each other. If you do the equivalent of putting a gun to someone's head and say 'Kill or die', that's not despair, that raw primal survival...which is pretty much the OPPOSITE of despair. This really strikes me as a Monobear that learned all the wrong lessons from the first game: he thinks he just has to prevent any kind of alliance without grasping the basic idea of why such alliances can exist, even IF everyone has death hanging over their head.

Monobear needs to read some Machiavelli.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
I kind of dislike Koizumi. She seems too focused on gender roles, it's pretty annoying. Along with the chef and all the panty-talk and fanservice. Otherwise I'm still interested and I don't mind the other characters as much, other than the light music player, too.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Something to be considered about Junko's Monobear is that his actions had to take the audience into account. He had to play by the rules, and he couldn't force the students' hands because the moment he did, the "School Life of Mutual Killing" would stop being a case study of the futility of hope and it would become a case of a sadist brutally slaughtering kids, and that would bring the audience relatively less despair.

Some assumptions we can make about this game's Monobear from that is either that he isn't appealing to an audience, or that he isn't as despair-obsessed as Junko was. And considering how hosed up Junko's mindset had to be for her to be that obsessed...

Of course, we're still at the very beginning of Chapter 1, so we can't really go anywhere from that assumption, nor can we use it for any real mastermind speculations, and it could easily be toppled by future evidence. We don't even have confirmation that that's a bomb, either (though I'm at a loss as to what else it could be).

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
Remember, the title for the game is Goodbye Despair Academy. While this can also mean it's not in the Academy, it can also mean that this Monobear's objective isn't Despair, but something else.

Of course, we're also expecting that the bomb is going to be a time limit, which it might not be. Heck, we're assuming it's even a bomb.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Yay bomb! Monobear v.2.0 seems to be more heavy handed in starting murders this time.

CandyCrazy posted:

Some assumptions we can make about this game's Monobear from that is either that he isn't appealing to an audience, or that he isn't as despair-obsessed as Junko was. And considering how hosed up Junko's mindset had to be for her to be that obsessed...
Talking about despair-obsessed, how on earth did Junko manage to hide all her craziness if she was already as insane as shown in DR0? :psyduck:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Cornwind Evil posted:

The funny thing is, by doing this Monobear has essentially invalidated his whole existence as the Harbinger of Despair. Junko's whole schtick was to show how easy it was, with a few manipulations, for people to give into despair and kill each other. If you do the equivalent of putting a gun to someone's head and say 'Kill or die', that's not despair, that raw primal survival...which is pretty much the OPPOSITE of despair. This really strikes me as a Monobear that learned all the wrong lessons from the first game: he thinks he just has to prevent any kind of alliance without grasping the basic idea of why such alliances can exist, even IF everyone has death hanging over their head.

Monobear needs to read some Machiavelli.

CandyCrazy posted:

Something to be considered about Junko's Monobear is that his actions had to take the audience into account. He had to play by the rules, and he couldn't force the students' hands because the moment he did, the "School Life of Mutual Killing" would stop being a case study of the futility of hope and it would become a case of a sadist brutally slaughtering kids, and that would bring the audience relatively less despair.

Of course, we're still at the very beginning of Chapter 1, so we can't really go anywhere from that assumption, nor can we use it for any real mastermind speculations, and it could easily be toppled by future evidence. We don't even have confirmation that that's a bomb, either (though I'm at a loss as to what else it could be).

This all raises the very good question whether his motives have anything to do with his motives from last game, which is an easy assumption to fall into due to all the similarities (there being a Monobear and a murder-game at all). I think it's good to keep in mind that we have no strong justifications for such an assumption as we try to deduce what's happening, going forward.

Vyxzuw posted:

Remember, the title for the game is Goodbye Despair Academy.

Speaking of which, is that sub-title a deliberate Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei reference? My friend assumed that Dangan Ronpa was a game adaptation of that manga/anime when he saw the sub-title, knowing nothing else about DR. The phrasing between the two titles is exactly the same in Japanese.

edit: VVVV well, gently caress. I forgot about that line.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 19, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

orenronen posted:

This is all-you-can-eat murder with no time limit. A buffet of murder. An amusement park of killing.

No time limit, eh? That bomb looks like it has something to say about that. Maybe it's triggered by something else?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ApplesandOranges posted:

And do people refer to Sonia as Sonia, because 'Nevermind' is very foreign-sounding?

European royalty are usually referred to by their first name, after all. :v:

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Speaking of which, is that sub-title a deliberate Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei reference? My friend assumed that Dangan Ronpa was a game adaptation of that manga/anime when he saw the sub-title, knowing nothing else about DR. The phrasing between the two titles is exactly the same in Japanese.

I certainly wouldn't put it past this game. By the way, in case anybody forgot, "Goodbye Despair Academy" was also the title of the epilogue for DR1.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Mersenne posted:

Souda should be kept on close watch, though I think this was an attempt at our protagonist's life:

orenronen posted:

Hinata! I've decided! Come with me to the beach later!
Huh?
Coconuts, man, coconuts! I saw some big ones fall down over there!
Couldn’t break into ‘em earlier, but... I will get my coconut milk! I’ll break those things with willpower if that’s what it takes!
I don't think you can break coconuts with willpower. There's coconut milk in the supermarket, you'll have to make do with that.

Death by Coconut?

I do want our mechanic to live past chapter 1, but as is, I wouldn't be surprised if he met his end soon.
(He at least went to the park)

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 19, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Most of the extra dialogue before you talk to Togami is just one or two lines, but it was interesting - even though it probably means nothing - that the conversation with Akane was much longer and two other people jumped in. I like little character development touches like that.

My initial impression of Mahiru was that she was relatively normal, but with a fiery streak. I'm still not convinced that she only gets annoyed at "weak men" or "people who don't conform to gender expectations". I think it's more a general fiery side. She clearly doesn't like Togami, but he rubs a lot of people the wrong way. She may be proactive, but she didn't want to make too many waves, since no one else had a problem with Togami taking charge - not even the gangster, which surprised me.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
I thought Hiyoko's creepiness was sort of endearing at first, but it happens so often I'm already getting sick of it.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I'm quite surprised how there were no other objections for Togami's leadership. Everyone probably just didn't feel motivated enough to lead the rest of the students in this field trip or they just didn't care, except for Mahiru obviously.

I hope that the breakfast spread doesn't get cold until everyone gets back to it. :ohdear:

... and somehow, I feel that those with unregistered accounts have much less impact on this line.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Wait, isn't going to the beach and snagging a coconut against the rules? I think Souda may be in trouble.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BrightWing posted:

Wait, isn't going to the beach and snagging a coconut against the rules? I think Souda may be in trouble.

How I don't think there is a rule against that.

Edit:Yeah I just checked there is no rule against that.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 19, 2013

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
It might go against the "Don't damage the environment" one. And since Monobear is leading this shindig now, he might consider it broken. However, it might just be Souda going loco and this is just wasting time. But, considering how early someone died last time, and that the original 4 rules are most likely still in effect, this might be a problem. I seem to recall that everyone from the first game didn't really take the rules to seriously till Enoshima got spear'd, so Monobear might be itching for any excuse to help "encourage" the students to fall in line.

Or I may be grasping at straws. Its still really early and everything seems to be fair game at the moment.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I don't think picking a coconut from a tree would count as "damaging the environment". But even assuming it did, he could also just mean grabbing one that fell from a tree on its own.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
True! I concede the point then. I feel dumb for not thinking of something so obvious. :v:

undefines
Oct 15, 2012
Standard fanservice tricks, but I find the way Mahiru's arm is conveniently blocking the shot of Mikan's panties extremely amusing.

Additionally, Gundam and Nidai seem tied for hammiest characters in the game. I hope they talk at least once, bouncing off of each other would be hilarious. :3:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It seems safe to say that the various characters are going to break into smaller groups and form friendships. I don't know who could possibly tolerate Gundam for any extended period of time, though. Gundam makes for some good jokes, but he is sort of insufferable.

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?
'SHSL Reverse Escape Artist' might be a better title for Mikan because it takes a special skill to gently caress up standing still to that degree.

Balqis
Sep 5, 2011

It would be funny if the first "murder" involved a coconut falling on Souda's head, killing him. He's so frightened of people, that it would be kind of fitting.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
I really hope there's more to this bomb than 'We see a murder in X-days or I'll kill you all."

That's just lazy and it doesn't prove anything, either about human nature or the specific moral fiber of the kids. It just shows they know the difference between a slow death game and one that ends all so suddenly all too early.

On the other hand, Monobear could do something clever like... "You all have 30 days of summer vacation. Make the best of it. Live, love, play in the sand, and if you're clever and lucky, maybe you can find a secret way off the islands. Or find someone to murder and get off the island before you find out what this baby can do, u-pu-pu-pu!"

Now that could be a test of which kids have the guts, moral fiber, and courage to risk everything for the chance to get everyone out alive, and which of them will try and take the easy way out through murder.

I could get behind that as a concept.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, am I the only one who is getting serious vibes that Souda is going to commit the first murder? He's the only one freaking out to a superlative degree, he's being painted pretty heavily as a possible victim, (Which parallels Maizono) and he's invited the main character off, alone, to do something potentially dangerous. I'm really liking how the writers were keenly aware of the precedence, and are setting these things up so you can't really tell if it's foreshadowing or a mind game to throw you off.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I don't think that thing is a bomb. I think Monobear is bluffing, by having a big machine and a countdown. When it hits zero, a rainbow will form.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Gensuki posted:

I don't think that thing is a bomb. I think Monobear is bluffing, by having a big machine and a countdown. When it hits zero, a rainbow will form.

My money's on Monobear just popping out of it.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
It occurs that a super gamer would also be skilled in the deployment of power cords, would she not? I doubt Hello Nurse's stumble was all that innocent

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Oh god Togami what are you doing you're painting a huge target on your head.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

She may be proactive, but she didn't want to make too many waves, since no one else had a problem with Togami taking charge - not even the gangster, which surprised me.

Kuzuryu probably doesn't care since he doesn't even seem to consider himself a part of the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Serious Frolicking posted:

It seems safe to say that the various characters are going to break into smaller groups and form friendships. I don't know who could possibly tolerate Gundam for any extended period of time, though. Gundam makes for some good jokes, but he is sort of insufferable.

He could possibly bond with Nidai. Gundam raises animals, Nidai raises people (sort of). I hope we will get some discussions on the similarities and differences between raising animals and people. Outside of that pair, I completely agree that it's hard to imagine who would actually voluntarily spend time with the Ascendant Ruler of Ice Animal breeder.

• Locked thread