Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

davebo posted:

I don't want this to sound snarky or anything but I noticed that it's fallen back to page 3 so I thought I'd mention that we actually have a thread just for cars like some of the ones you've been posting, so you may want to consider posting some things there in the future.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509860

That is a traditional lowrider.

For a car forum, there's a lot of people in the last few pages that don't really understand cool cars. The problem is most of it boils down to taste.

You know what though? I don't get why people are so focused on making cars perform better. Sure it goes around a racetrack really fast, and the wheel fitment is German precision and all that, but it rattles and has a stiff ride, and race gas burns my eyes. All race cars are poo poo!

See, it's easy to be an rear end, much harder to recognize that sometimes people have differing tastes and just live with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Truth!

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

:colbert:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

:3:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
One thing I find awesome are how affordable some of the fastest supercars in the world are. These are edmunds used car prices for cars that have lapped the nurburgring nordschleife in under 8 minutes, and you can even get sub-7:30 cars for sub-$60k. Though I suspect you might have to do a little track prep if you want to get close to these times with what's otherwise a stock street car...

7:22 Dodge Viper ACR (2009), $59,798 (can't find ACR price, but the ACR is supposedly very similar to the base Viper)
7:22 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 (2012), $59,588
7:26 Nissan GT-R (2009), $45,162
7:48 BMW M3 GTS (2009), $35,546 (can't find GTS, listed price for base M3)
7:50 Porsche 911 Carrera S (2009), $52,205
7:55 Subaru WRX STI (2010), $26,825
7:56 Porsche 911 Turbo (2000), $37,000
7:59 Porsche 911 Carrera S(2004), $30,000
7:59 Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 V-Spec (1996) ~$10-30k in ads, not listed in edmunds or kbb
7:59 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (2005), $38,079

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N%C3%BCrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

grover fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 18, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Was just looking at OVE.com, and we have two 2009 ACR's up for sale, the cheapest being $80k. That's wholesale, too.

e- also I believe that 7:22 was run by a 2010 ACR

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 18, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

VikingSkull posted:

Was just looking at OVE.com, and we have two 2009 ACR's up for sale, the cheapest being $80k. That's wholesale, too.
$80k for the 4th fastest production car around the 'ring is still pretty damned cheap.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Oh, no doubt. I'd kill for an ACR. That being said, they were like $105k new, so they aren't coming down in value much and I doubt a good example ever will. If I had to guess, $80k is the bottom of the market for a low mile example.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 18, 2013

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

I didn't know that the slammed civic thread was the Custom/Hotrod thread.

It's so nice to see Continentals in something other than black. They offered 20 colors in 64, but everyone paints them black. Maroon looks nice, I'd have to go with the Bronze metallic or the silver blue metallic though.
God I want one. Pretty sure I could put it on a Marauder frame too.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

grover posted:

One thing I find awesome are how affordable some of the fastest supercars in the world are. These are edmunds used car prices for cars that have lapped the nurburgring nordschleife in under 8 minutes, and you can even get sub-7:30 cars for sub-$60k. Though I suspect you might have to do a little track prep if you want to get close to these times with what's otherwise a stock street car...

7:22 Dodge Viper ACR (2009), $59,798 (can't find ACR price, but the ACR is supposedly very similar to the base Viper)
7:22 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 (2012), $59,588
7:26 Nissan GT-R (2009), $45,162
7:48 BMW M3 GTS (2009), $35,546 (can't find GTS, listed price for base M3)
7:50 Porsche 911 Carrera S (2009), $52,205
7:55 Subaru WRX STI (2010), $26,825
7:56 Porsche 911 Turbo (2000), $37,000
7:59 Porsche 911 Carrera S(2004), $30,000
7:59 Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 V-Spec (1996) ~$10-30k in ads, not listed in edmunds or kbb
7:59 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (2005), $38,079

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N%C3%BCrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

Wow, I didn't think the STI would have a time that low... though I'm sure that quite a few of those cars would benefit from having Tommi Makinen behind the wheel.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Wow, I didn't think the STI would have a time that low... though I'm sure that quite a few of those cars would benefit from having Tommi Makinen behind the wheel.

It was a ringer with a bunch of parts from different japanese special editions. It had a bigger turbo, 6 pot front brakes, and they don't mention tires but considering it had one-off aero bits, it more than likely had full race rubber.

edit: track times aside, there are far more interesting cars entering the "dangerously affordable" range, like $45,000 bi-turbo V12 german cars

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 18, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Poisonlizard posted:

It's so nice to see Continentals in something other than black. They offered 20 colors in 64, but everyone paints them black. Maroon looks nice, I'd have to go with the Bronze metallic or the silver blue metallic though.
God I want one. Pretty sure I could put it on a Marauder frame too.

Personally, I'd go with white or cream, and burgundy interior.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

Personally, I'd go with white or cream, and burgundy interior.

I definitely agree. Old Lincolns are best in off white. Black looks great too but it seems like everybody does it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

MrKatharsis posted:

The Atlantic has an excellent photojournal section, and today they're covering the Dakar rally. Look at Russia go!:black101:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/01/the-2013-dakar-rally/100441/

Theres something properly mental about launching a 10-15 tonne truck off a sand dune at 100+ kph, and then doing it over and over again for 8500kms

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Powershift posted:

It was a ringer with a bunch of parts from different japanese special editions. It had a bigger turbo, 6 pot front brakes, and they don't mention tires but considering it had one-off aero bits, it more than likely had full race rubber.

edit: track times aside, there are far more interesting cars entering the "dangerously affordable" range, like $45,000 bi-turbo V12 german cars

Was just looking at 5-10 year old AMGs last night. Quite tempting, till I think of the repairs.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

:allears:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

It's like a love child from a MR2, SVX, and a VehiCross.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

PhotoKirk posted:

It's like a love child from a MR2, SVX, and a VehiCross.
Don't be modest, there are also hints of incestuous liaisons with a Testarossa and an SLS.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I definitely agree. Old Lincolns are best in off white. Black looks great too but it seems like everybody does it.

This is the best Continental color :colbert:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

VikingSkull posted:

Mary Kay calling! :gay:

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Oh. My. God. That is amazing. Any more info? Reverse google search came up empty.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Carteret posted:

Oh. My. God. That is amazing. Any more info? Reverse google search came up empty.

It looks like a render to me. Also where are the seats and why does the inside rear of the cabin appear to have the camo but stretched? If it's not a render then awesome! but my question still stands.

Ferremit posted:

Theres something properly mental about launching a 10-15 tonne truck off a sand dune at 100+ kph, and then doing it over and over again for 8500kms

I'd do it.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead station...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When I look at that car, SAFETY FIRST is exactly what comes to mind!

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

Mary Kay indeed. I'd tuck my cock between my legs and wear a barristers wig to drive that. Might even do a kabuki.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

General_Failure posted:

It looks like a render to me. Also where are the seats and why does the inside rear of the cabin appear to have the camo but stretched? If it's not a render then awesome! but my question still stands.
An open bed perhaps?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Link

:fap:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Click for huge.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

angryhampster posted:

Click for huge.

Get ready for another three pages of talking about how big wheels on old cars should/shouldn't be there and why you should/shouldn't bag a big old car.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
What the hell is going on here

Edit: Oh, look.

Anyone know what it is? Looks kind of like a twin engined VW Fox but I can't find any info, just pics.

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 19, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Rocket Salad posted:

What the hell is going on here

Edit: Oh, look.

Anyone know what it is? Looks kind of like a twin engined VW Fox but I can't find any info, just pics.

I just know its a VW Fox, not much beyond that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I scrolled past this a bit too quickly at first and didn't realize what it was. That is awesome. Where do I buy one?

:thumbsup:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

I just know its a VW Fox, not much beyond that.

For a moment there i was confused
"How is that a fox, this is a fox:

But i guess you guys over there had a different kind of fox...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The Rocket Salad posted:

Pretty sure it's only got one engine. It does have rear-mounted radiators though (like the Quattro rally car), because if there's one thing 1980s era Audis/VWs with longitudinal engines lack, it's room for adequate cooling under the hood (at high horsepower, at least).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

angryhampster posted:

Click for huge.

gently caress me sideways this owns

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Pretty sure it's only got one engine. It does have rear-mounted radiators though (like the Quattro rally car), because if there's one thing 1980s era Audis/VWs with longitudinal engines lack, it's room for adequate cooling under the hood (at high horsepower, at least).

Actually most modern rallycross and rally cars have rear mounted radiators because it reduces the risk of damage to their frail, girly fins. Instead they shove them in the back and route a custom plenum (usually with savage intake vents on the rear quarters) to feed it.

Here's the Citroen DS3 rally car that Speedhunters covered recently:

Radiator (note giant coolant tank):

Mouth:

Interior (although it's hard to see, you can sort of guess at how the black spidery thing in the back works to feed it):

Even though this is the awesome thread and not the mechanical failures thread I'm still gonna post this (because it's awesome, gently caress the police). Here's their old car, where it appears they had trouble with turbo location.

Writeup is here.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 19, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

RE: old school rally car: After doing entirely too much research, looks like it was an Audi Fox Kit car based on the Audi 90 Quattro. She had a twin turbo 2.8l. Also, a Canadian behind the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Here's the Citroen DS3 rally car that Speedhunters covered recently

0-60 in less than 2 seconds. On dirt, gravel and mud.

drat.