Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ElwoodCuse posted:

If you are owed a refund you have three years to claim it, or it's gone.
Well gently caress. Tax code! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's almost like the IRS wants people to file every goddamn year or something. Assholes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rirse posted:

Speaking of little kids whispering, the ad for Mama is really annoying with 3/4 of it just the little girl repeating in whispers "Mama".

Yea, I'm pretty amped because I like Guillermo Del Toro, and it looks like a good little spooky movie, but drat that ad is annoying and gets played every other break.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

There's been this incredibly bizarre ad on lately for some tooth whitening product, and uh, well, it goes something like this:

quote:

He could be your soulmate...
Your husband...
The father of your children...
(gratuitous pregnant-belly-fondling scene)
But first...
You need to get him to look at you
Because you're fug, you can't dress, AND YOUR TEETH AREN'T BLINDINGLY WHITE SO BUY THIS PRODUCT

Firstly, this is totally creepy. Secondly, it sends a whole host of self-esteem busting messages to their demographic, which is women with already cripplingly low self-esteem. Thirdly... it is really loving creepy. I think I'm going to go insane if I keep watching network television.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know little kids barely being able to pronounce things are suppose to be cute but I hate all those ads. Especially the coupons.com ad. Like, I want to punch the ad makers in the face for that ad.

I hate little kids whispering too.

I'm totally with you.

There's a radio ad in my town where the host of that station's morning show has his son on to talk about a local brand of hot dogs. The kid is supposedly 8 or 9 years old but he sounds like he's 4 (I'm pretty sure it's for real and not just the kid putting on an act), and you can tell in the commercial that his dad thinks he's the cutest thing ever. If the kid has a speech impediment or some other problem then I feel genuinely bad for him, but his dad shouldn't be using him to sell hot dogs regardless.

I'm reminded of something my great-great-grandmother told my grandmother about my dad when he was a kid and doing some random bratty kid thing (my dad told me about it, as I obviously wasn't there). She said: "He's not as precious to everyone else as he is to you."

You could say that about any kid.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I think the thing that annoys me most about Kit-Kat commercials is that the sounds and the crunches especially that make up the jingle don't seem to match up with the actions in the commercial at all and it really messes with my head.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Y'all thought the Hopper ads were bad...check out A&E's latest show:
http://bcove.me/b08oo3u0

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

suztan posted:

There's been this incredibly bizarre ad on lately for some tooth whitening product, and uh, well, it goes something like this:

Firstly, this is totally creepy. Secondly, it sends a whole host of self-esteem busting messages to their demographic, which is women with already cripplingly low self-esteem. Thirdly... it is really loving creepy. I think I'm going to go insane if I keep watching network television.

Is it the same company whose tooth whitening ad once went "make your teeth blindingly white so when you see your ex, he'll be pissed he dumped you"?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is it the same company whose tooth whitening ad once went "make your teeth blindingly white so when you see your ex, he'll be pissed he dumped you"?

Those are always the weirdest commercials because their "non-white" teeth are always way whiter than mine, they're usually way whiter than any teeth I've seen, it's like they already use some industrial strength product to get their teeth in to that state and even that's not enough so you have to go a step farther and make the teeth actively emit white light.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Y'all thought the Hopper ads were bad...check out A&E's latest show:
http://bcove.me/b08oo3u0

gently caress sake can someone burn Boston to the loving ground already

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
This is not a TV commercial but it sort was a live-action ad in front of an audience at CES and it's horrible. It was well-appreciated in the Android thread.

Imagine funny cat videos meet gangnam style this is what Qualcomm marketing guys think young born mobile people talk like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qTHbOEiDY

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Vicas posted:

I think the thing that annoys me most about Kit-Kat commercials is that the sounds and the crunches especially that make up the jingle don't seem to match up with the actions in the commercial at all and it really messes with my head.

What bugs me is that the sound effect version only "works" if you're already familiar with the Kit Kat jingle, but they've been playing the wordless commercials for years now. There's a non-zero number of people who have no idea the gross crunching noises and moans are supposed to be a song.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I am glad all of these movie commercials have a black bar going across the top of the screen with the name of the movie and its hashtag in it so that I know what movies I want to avoid seeing in the theater/adding to netflix.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

I am glad all of these movie commercials have a black bar going across the top of the screen with the name of the movie and its hashtag in it so that I know what movies I want to avoid seeing in the theater/adding to netflix.

That's for DVR fast-forwarders. :ssh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Speaking of DVRs, there's a new series of DirecTV commercials that manages to be even more loving irritating than the one with the guy being an rear end in a top hat to his family because of some inexplicable floating "DVR conflict screen." Now they seem to be claiming that DVR conflicts are directly connected with having cable, which would be bizarre enough on its own, but they up the ante by having a commercial full of stuff like "Man having cable is like" [cut to guy at the dentist and the dentist sneezing in his mouth, what the gently caress?]

It's like a level of dishonesty in advertising not seen since the Mac/PC commercials were mercifully killed off. It's not like you can't buy a Tivo with multiple tuners and hook it up to your cable service or anything.

Bonus link to commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XWyVljtTUA

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 19, 2013

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
The insanely loud yell from the guy in the WaxVac commercial will always make me laugh.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

raditts posted:

but they up the ante by having a commercial full of stuff like "Man having cable is like" [cut to guy at the dentist and the dentist sneezing in his mouth, what the gently caress?]

In a similar line of illogic, I hate the stamps.com or whatever it is commercial where the guy says "nothing is worse than going to the post office and waiting in line."

There I was...floating alone in the darkness in the middle of the Atlantic. My legs torn off by a shark. As the darkness closed in, I thought "still not as bad as waiting in line at the post office."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

raditts posted:

Speaking of DVRs, there's a new series of DirecTV commercials that manages to be even more loving irritating than the one with the guy being an rear end in a top hat to his family because of some inexplicable floating "DVR conflict screen." Now they seem to be claiming that DVR conflicts are directly connected with having cable, which would be bizarre enough on its own, but they up the ante by having a commercial full of stuff like "Man having cable is like" [cut to guy at the dentist and the dentist sneezing in his mouth, what the gently caress?]

It's like a level of dishonesty in advertising not seen since the Mac/PC commercials were mercifully killed off. It's not like you can't buy a Tivo with multiple tuners and hook it up to your cable service or anything.

Bonus link to commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XWyVljtTUA

It's hilarious because the wife in the rear end in a top hat husband series is a wife in another commercial. I like to think it's the same universe and she left him over unreconcilable DVR differences.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
If you are going to Subway on prom night, you might as well fill out an employment application while you are there.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

ElwoodCuse posted:

If you are owed a refund you have three years to claim it, or it's gone.

The commercial mentions that the customer has not filed taxes for 8 years, and implies that they can get a refund.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Jubs posted:

The insanely loud yell from the guy in the WaxVac commercial will always make me laugh.

It reminds me of a noise Pee Wee Herman would make.. cracks me up every time, too.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know little kids barely being able to pronounce things are suppose to be cute but I hate all those ads. Especially the coupons.com ad. Like, I want to punch the ad makers in the face for that ad.

I hate little kids whispering too.

There's a Kia dealership here in Orlando that runs a series of ads with what must be the daughter of the owner or something. She ends every ad shouting in a "cute kid" voice "WE WANNA SEEYA IN A KIA!" and my god I just want to strangle the little moppet. Their radio ads are ten times worse because they're full of celebrity impersonations. The current one has a terrible Romney saying that now that he has a lot of free time he's going to "stop using my private jet so much and maybe switch to 1% milk". I've heard it on three radio stations simultaneously and then again NEXT COMMERCIAL BREAK. Every ad ended, of course, by the shrieking child wanting to see me in a Kia.

I am never buying a Kia simply because their ad campaigns are the worst.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jubs posted:

Speaking of which, wasn't that regulation that commercials can't be louder than the TG program it's on supposed to have taken effect already?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Nerdfest X posted:

The commercial mentions that the customer has not filed taxes for 8 years, and implies that they can get a refund.

They can, for the previous three years. Past that, tough.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm pretty sure if you have 8 years of back taxes you should be more concerned with jail and less about a refund. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of which, wasn't that regulation that commercials can't be louder than the TG program it's on supposed to have taken effect already?

I think that's just for general volume level as a whole, not just loud noises in commercials.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

muscles like this? posted:

I think that's just for general volume level as a whole, not just loud noises in commercials.

Nope.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/13/entertainment/la-et-ct-calm-law-goes-into-effect-20121212

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That doesn't say anything in regards to what I was talking about? I meant that the law was to make it so that commercials can't just be generally louder, not that they can't have singular instances of loud noises, which that says nothing about.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

muscles like this? posted:

That doesn't say anything in regards to what I was talking about? I meant that the law was to make it so that commercials can't just be generally louder, not that they can't have singular instances of loud noises, which that says nothing about.

It says exactly that.

requires broadcasters to ensure that TV commercials maintain the same volume as the entertainment programming in which the ads are contained.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

I'm pretty sure if you have 8 years of back taxes you should be more concerned with jail and less about a refund. :v:

If this is the ad I think we're talking about, the implication I got was that the client had done her own taxes, and so missed some deductions.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I just saw this tax ad in question last night and boy howdy does that guy have a jiggly neck.

I think the majority of people end up being owed money by the IRS at tax time (from deductions or overpayments) rather than owing to the IRS. That's how you can get away with not filing for 8 years and you don't go to jail because the .govs like your extra $$.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 21, 2013

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Wagonburner posted:

I just saw this tax ad in question last night and boy howdy does that guy have a jiggly neck.

I think the majority of people end up being owed money by the IRS at tax time (from deductions or overpayments) rather than owing to the IRS. That's how you can get away with not filing for 8 years and you don't go to jail because the .govs like your extra $$.

Yeah, my cousin (we're canadian) hadnt filed his taxes ever, and finally did it when he was about 26, and he got back a couple grand from the government, as long as you don't owe them any money, they are perfectly willing to sit on what they owe you.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
"You have 3 years to claim a tax refund.
This is measured from the original deadline of the tax return, plus three years. For example, your 2010 tax return is due on April 15th, 2011. Add three years to this filing deadline, and you have until April 15th, 2014, to file your 2010 tax return and still get a tax refund. If you file your 2010 return after April 15th, 2014, then your refund "expires." It goes away forever because the statute of limitations for claiming a refund has closed.

If you already filed a tax return, you can claim any additional refunds by sending in corrections with an amended return. Amended returns claiming additional refunds must be filed with the IRS before the statute of the limitations expires three years from the original April 15th due date.

Filing an extension may extend the period for claiming refunds. Under code section 6511(b)(2)(A), the IRS can issue refunds for a particular year if you requested an extension and subsequently file a tax return within three years from the extended deadline."

"The IRS has 10 years to collect outstanding tax liabilities.
This is measured from the day a tax liability has been finalized. A tax liability can be finalized in a number of ways. It could be a balance due on a tax return, an assessment from an audit, or a proposed assessment that has become final. From that day, the IRS has ten years to collect the full amount, plus any penalties and interest. If the IRS doesn't collect the full amount in the 10-year period, then the remaining balance on the account disappears forever because the statute of limitations on collecting the tax has expired."

We have 3 years to get our money, but the IRS has 10 to get theirs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Well, Priceline would have us believe that Captain Kirk's daughter is Penny. Oookay, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDSnjfxu_Ig

So much for killing off the Priceline Negotiator.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Continuing my little kids rant:

gently caress you ATT! I get it, out of the mouths of babes about how BIG AND AWESOME our network is. But the kids who can barely make sense are annoying.

IwannabigtreehousebecauseineedtofitthewhiersandI AAAAAAAAAAAAAH DIE.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
"No one comes around my growing family...without a background check."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6boeAfMhao

This commercial just further installs a sense of fear into the "strangers" of your neighborhood. I'm sure things happen, and perhaps this website has thwarted off a bad egg from someones life on more than one occasion, but come on. OH NO MR. HEATER REPAIRMAN, I can't let you on, because you are NOT VERIFIED! SUCURETY BREECH!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

trunkwontopen posted:

This commercial just further installs a sense of fear into the "strangers" of your neighborhood. I'm sure things happen, and perhaps this website has thwarted off a bad egg from someones life on more than one occasion, but come on. OH NO MR. HEATER REPAIRMAN, I can't let you on, because you are NOT VERIFIED! SUCURETY BREECH!

Unpaid parking tickets? Get the gently caress away from my child you monster.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The People With Bad Credit Histories Are Due on Maple Street

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Not TV but radio, on the station I listen to, just about every commercial break has at least 2 of these 3:

Guy humming:"mm mmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmm"
That's the sound of someone enjoying cheap food at McDonald's

Girl "Aaah aah aah ahh aah aah"
That's the sound of someone enjoying a $1 soda at McDonald's

Hi, I'm Than Merrill, star of the hit A&E show Flip This House (which has been off the air for a few years, unless it's still in reruns). Call NOW for free tickets to my seminar on how to make BIG BUCKS flipping houses.

The newest Progressive Insurance ads. Flo SINGS!!!

There's also the ads for coloradocarcredit.com with two VERY annoying women.

"I rule"
"Yes, you rule."
"That's what I said, I rule!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

trunkwontopen posted:

I don't think you understand, that woman is pregnant! We need to keep all unverified strangers away from her in case they're roving abortionists or disguised male lions or something! Won't you think of the children, trunkwontopen?