Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
C'mon, Finch! Two more levels for sacred fire from the heavens! It will be glorious!

Edit: Whoops, new page! The update's at the end of the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

If memory served me the ogres are supposed to be somewhere around the ruins part of the Bandit Camp, I've actually once had a playthrough where I gave up on finding them, spawned them with a console. One of them ran off scared during the encounter and when i chased him I chased him right into the actual original set that I was supposed to find, no clue how I missed them the first time though.

And just to repeat whats been stated before, that robe. Seriously I don't know who thought "Well that seems like a well balanced item".

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Thaddius the Large posted:

Back when I played through BG2 for the first time, I recall thinking Cavalier was the way to go, good bonuses with negligible trade off. Doesn't appeal to the power-gamer in me, but it'll always hold a special place for me.

The immmunity to fear and poison and the ability to cast resist fear once by level is a godsend for the early BG game as a single well placed Terror can ruin your day. The lack of ranged never bothered me :)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

DonVincenzo posted:

The immmunity to fear and poison and the ability to cast resist fear once by level is a godsend for the early BG game as a single well placed Terror can ruin your day. The lack of ranged never bothered me :)

Agreed, the immunities trivialise some of the more irritating early encounters. Tarnesh, spiders, hobgoblin elites etc. Stack all your AC-boosting items and get up in people's faces while the rest of the group takes care of the ranged business.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Alpha3KV posted:

Some of the images in that update have black boxes covering some areas. How did that happen? They don't really hide anything important, but they're enough to be distracting.

I'm not sure. I just see them happening sometimes now. I blame the latest update of Shutter, my screenshot program. I guess two imperfect screenshots slipped through. Sorry about that.

Tzarnal posted:

If memory served me the ogres are supposed to be somewhere around the ruins part of the Bandit Camp, I've actually once had a playthrough where I gave up on finding them, spawned them with a console. One of them ran off scared during the encounter and when i chased him I chased him right into the actual original set that I was supposed to find, no clue how I missed them the first time though.

And just to repeat whats been stated before, that robe. Seriously I don't know who thought "Well that seems like a well balanced item".

Thanks! I should go back there and check more thoroughly. Hopefully I can get the squirrel leveled up before taking on the ogre rampage in Gullykin.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You know, most in the modding community hoped that EE would lead to fresh blood in the modding world. I don't think this was quite what they were hoping for. "I hold the Tsujatha mod as a memorial to quality, and I hope to follow that standard."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cythereal posted:

You know, most in the modding community hoped that EE would lead to fresh blood in the modding world. I don't think this was quite what they were hoping for. "I hold the Tsujatha mod as a memorial to quality, and I hope to follow that standard."

This posted:

uhm, yeah

This is my favorite part. It's like even the author realized he'd gone too far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LLSix posted:

Did you read the whole thing? The author is going even more nutty.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THE CURSE! Not that it mattered much, but still.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That was an amusing diversion. I liked how it was so muddled as to what the mod character was supposed to BE that someone said, "Half-dolphin, half-fiend" because half-dolphin made as much sense as anything else did at that point.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

As always, I like the "You might want to increase her CON a bit." Because her stats aren't obviously broken enough.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

LLSix posted:

Really when your starting point is "megalomanical tiefling fighter with organic hooker heels", how far constitutes too far?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, the skeleton heels are really ...something all right. I'm actually a little disappointed that we don't get to see how Syvishtar would deal with this. "A fools errend" indeed.

Also, glad to see another update! Are we just skipping the bugged mod? NBot that I mind, there's lots more content waiting after all.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Shame the bear didn't really last long but the squirrel seems to actually be going the distance. Really hoping it lives long enough to shapeshift into a bear.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.
I submit that Bear and Squirrel are actually the same poor animal, constantly being magic'd to hell and back by Syv.

Everyone else is just too uncomfortable to actually say anything about this new obsession she's got because A) she's crazy, and B) oh god did she just improvise a non-personal trans-valent Tensor's Transformation while she was having a one-sided conversation with a loving squirrel? That isn't how magic wor... oh god it worked. Oh god it's coming this way. Don't look at it. Don't look directly at it, it'll get angry. Just keep walking.

Sejs Cube fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 21, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Now he's saying (it's he today, right?) that the squirrel is an avenger and has all that crazy druid equipment on. But I don't see--it still looks like a regular squirrel, doesn't it? Oh god, that wolf's head just came clean off! I didn't see it move, did you?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Vorgen posted:

I'm not sure. I just see them happening sometimes now. I blame the latest update of Shutter, my screenshot program. I guess two imperfect screenshots slipped through. Sorry about that.

It's just kinda how the game's engine handles poo poo being over top of it, actually, so it probably is in fact Shutter.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Also, glad to see another update! Are we just skipping the bugged mod? NBot that I mind, there's lots more content waiting after all.

I guess we don't really have a choice. I'm kinda bummed because I kept running into bugs. I couldn't find those ogre mages, which I thought was a bug. I couldn't enter the Fields of the Dead. And Aranor, the guy who is supposed to kick of the Stone of Askavar, won't talk to me. So we might not see the Northern Tales of the Sword Coast AND the Stone of Askavar quests.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vorgen posted:

I guess we don't really have a choice. I'm kinda bummed because I kept running into bugs. I couldn't find those ogre mages, which I thought was a bug. I couldn't enter the Fields of the Dead. And Aranor, the guy who is supposed to kick of the Stone of Askavar, won't talk to me. So we might not see the Northern Tales of the Sword Coast AND the Stone of Askavar quests.

Ah, don't be too bummed, Vorgen! We all knew that this was a buggy wasteland of cross compatibility, I wouldn't worry overmuch about being unable to go ahead on one single mod, regardless of how broad. There's so much other insanity to enjoy! Just think of this as an opportunity to maybe see BGII before 2014!

Also we don't need to stab needles in our eyes after seeing that mod's piss poor writing.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oh. My. Gods!

I actually managed to finally catch up to the present time. It only took four days! Excellent! I am most pleased.

I have to say, the Squirrel is my new favorite party member. It's learning so much. If only it could have been a Wild Mage.

I have to wonder why Syv would want a child-apprentice though. I'd think he'd have enough of children back in Nashkiel.

Wait... why don't you just steal the two named children from Nashkiel? You'd be a child stealing gypsy! And if they don't want to put on their armor sweater then FINE they can fight the ogre without it!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Vorgen posted:

If you absolutely want to show off the Fields of the Dead, here's an idea:

Make a separate BG1 install, without any mods at all, not even TuTu/Big Picture. Use Shadowkeeper to create the closest possible vanilla version of the party (obviously only vanilla NPCs) - Syv is a regular mage, NPCs have no kits, and everybody is level 5. Then install Fields of the Dead and play it. Post the update with the title "MEANWHILE, IN A SANE WORLD..."

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Heh, that is a good idea. Maybe I'll try out something like that. I have encountered a bunch of bugs so far, but until now I've been able to either fix them or work around them. But these seem to be insurmountable without a reinstall, and that's what really bummed me out.

Maybe I'll do a reinstall after finishing BG1. Then I'll import Syvishtar[a] and make sure almost everything else is the same as it can be. Thats gotta mean we'll run into fewer bugs right? right? heh.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vorgen posted:

Heh, that is a good idea. Maybe I'll try out something like that. I have encountered a bunch of bugs so far, but until now I've been able to either fix them or work around them. But these seem to be insurmountable without a reinstall, and that's what really bummed me out.

Maybe I'll do a reinstall after finishing BG1. Then I'll import Syvishtar[a] and make sure almost everything else is the same as it can be. Thats gotta mean we'll run into fewer bugs right? right? heh.

So long as your new install has the wild mage kit it should be fine.

Your broken items should also import, but they will have no description at all, and it'd probably be in your best interest to ditch them and reequip some vanilla items. But seriously it's not a big deal if you don't do it - especially if it'll delay your updates!

Elizabeth Cluppins
May 12, 2009
I had similar issues with NToTSC during my BWP playthrough, not sure if I managed to fix it. Whenever I had issues with areas CTDing on loading, the first thing I tried was emptying the associated area script .bcs file using Near Infinity and seeing if it loaded then. If it did, I eliminated the unstable code block from the area script. If it didn't, the issue was with an NPC/Item and fixing that would have been too much effort. :effort:

About the Stone of Askavar mod - a global flag probably didn't get flipped. Try setting these flags and talking to Aranor with the letter in your inventory. You've probably dealt with stuff like this before, but just in case, just type this into the console :
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("SpokeToAranor","GLOBAL",0)
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CearwinQuest","GLOBAL",1)

If you don't have the letter, CreateItem("SOAITM40") should bring it back.

e: i tried digging up information about the ogre mage quest and found out that a few modding sites have a regional IP block going. It wasn't very effective.:yaycloud:

anyway, the ogre mage quest seems to be bugged because of a conflict between dark side of the sword coast and possibly northern tales. you can either modify the area script file to remove a badly written drow item removal check added by DSotSC, or use the following commands when in Peldvale, probably AR8700, might be a different area ID due to BWP shuffling things around :

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature ("UBOGMA01")
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature ("UBOGMA02")
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature ("OGREHA")
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CreateUBOgreMagi", "AR8700", 1)

If the game doesn't recognize you killing the enemies, this is what they set on death.
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADUBOGMA01","GLOBAL",1)
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADUBOGMA02","GLOBAL",1)

The rest of the quest should proceed without any issues. The odds of this breaking your game are roughly zero, as setting an unused flag, which is the worst that could happen in this case, just bloats your savegame by a couple bytes.

Elizabeth Cluppins fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 22, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Should you reinstall the game (my deepest sympathies with regards to reinstalling BWP), there will be a couple new party options. Valerie and Isra are new BG1 mod NPCs released at SHS this month.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I wouldn't reinstall until I finished BG1. I need to be in a place where I can import my character.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Finishing BG1 is a good place to export your character since ghod, things got buggy immediately afterwards. Half my party started sliiiiding to the left of the screen and exploding when touching the edge of the map. And it wasn't even a Tactics install.

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
A while back, I saw the thread title and wondered just what the Big World Project was. So I clicked the thread to find out, and now I know. I still can't decide if the idea is crazy awesome or just plain crazy. In any event, I've just spent the better part of two weeks reading this thread from beginning to end in my free time (well, the free time that wasn't spent reinstalling and starting a replay of the BG series myself). I must say, Vorgen, you've put together something epic here, and very entertaining. Well done!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any word on an update buddy? Been a few weeks now.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Soon, soon! I'll have the time to do it in a day or two.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My opinion is that you should get into the BG2 content ASAP, particularly if the BG1 stuff is starting to drag for you.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Also, keep a metric fuckton of different saves going. I just lost both my quicksave and my autosave most of the way through the Underdark :\

stille
Oct 9, 2012
The metric fuckton of different saves is standard Baldur's Gate operating procedure even without mods.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Might even be a good idea to start a new thread when it's eventually time for Baldur's Gate 2. It would be nice to have all the character bios and stuff in one spot.

Looking forward to an update in any case! I'm starting a new playthrough with an all-rogue party, and I miss having Vorgen's suffering as motivation :v:

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
So, how are you doing, Vorgen? Everything ok?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I joined a startup company and I'm working crazy hours for the rest of February. I hope it pays off and I can do things like play games again soon.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vorgen posted:

I joined a startup company and I'm working crazy hours for the rest of February. I hope it pays off and I can do things like play games again soon.

My condolonces - still though, looking forward to seeing your next update.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Yeah, I'm looking forward to having the time to DO another update. Do you know that a long update that maxxes out the 50,000 character post limit can take 6 to 8 hours for me to make? I had a lot of free time last year, hehe. Of course one with only 70-80 screenshots can take just 2 hours sometimes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vorgen posted:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to having the time to DO another update. Do you know that a long update that maxxes out the 50,000 character post limit can take 6 to 8 hours for me to make? I had a lot of free time last year, hehe. Of course one with only 70-80 screenshots can take just 2 hours sometimes.

I've done a few LPS in my time here (well, completed one, abandoned two) and I understand the pain.Even with something like persona that involved a small amount of playing, it still took me about 4 hours of actual writeup / transcription to comlete the tutorial dungeon.

Anyway, might I suggest you try doing smaller updates instead of the larger ones just to get you back in the swing of things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

{A few pages of text fallen out of an untidy pack}

2 Kythorn, 1370

I don't know what to do.

I've been thinking a lot during my endless trips around the Sword Coast. I can't seem to stay in one place at all, really - just trudge here, hike there, travail over to this lost forgotten wood. And I'm starting to wonder... why do I do this? Why is this even a way to live?

Well, there is the fact that people keep trying to kill me. That's true. Even within Candlekeep there were supposedly asssassins out to get me. That's what people were saying. I didn't run into any of them, though. Until we got out.

Then Gorion...

And after that my life has been a constant state of kill or be killed. Sometimes a party of mercenaries finds me and attacks. Sometimes I find a party of mercenaries and attack. My compatriots, the Golden Company, have formed around me as a kind of humanoid shield against these constant threats. And I don't stop them, because I know I'd be completely lost without them.

And they keep dying. Again and again they fall, and we go to temple, and we raise them, and they patiently wait for their turn to do it again. Okay, some don't. Some have gotten out while the getting's good. But most stay.

So here we are, on the road again, just having finished killing some more groups of fighters who were taking over the Friendly Arm Inn. I swept in there and brought death in my wake, to almost everyone.

And then there's the Weave.

My earliest memories I've felt it dancing and carousing just beyond the corner of my eye. It has always been a capricious, dangerous thing - and that's why I love it so. And it has always been my steady companion in my endless tour of death. It seems to be eager enough to explode over friend an foe alike. I walk into an area, the magic goes wild and free, and then I'm surrounded by bodies. That's... that's just what happens. And it keeps happening. And ...

Well, that's the thing I don't know what to do about. I'm finding it hard to even write this down. But I have to confess to something, if not someone. I definitely can't tell this to anyone, even Imoen. And I can't even bring myself to say the words in the privacy of my own room, or in the silence of an empty wood. But perhaps I can write it down. I need to get it out of my head somehow.

I kill people.

A lot.

With magic.

And I don't mind.

In fact,

I like it.

{The pages blow away, perhaps to land in water and be destroyed. Perhaps to become the nest of a bird. Perhaps to be ... discovered?}

Gameplay note: Please indulge me a little fiction-writing here. This short passage is all I have time to do right now.

• Locked thread