Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Show Me
Jan 6, 2013

windylion posted:

Well I'm glad we can all think about this now. Thanks.

Sorry, it just reminded me of that movie. Linda Blair was fantastic in it. I guess I should have put it in better terms. Also, it wasn't an ABC Afterschool special, after doing some research. It was an exploitation film, which explains the scene.

windylion posted:

I, too, am not pleased with the level of fanservice, but I suppose there's no point in complaining about it.

I'm supposing it's a cultural thing. The Japanese might not think it's a big deal for a teenage girl's legs to be bound in wire and hoisted in the air, exposing her unmentionables, but for Westerners, it's unnerving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

orenronen posted:

It's at Jabberwock Park, over at the central island. Come, quickly!

Do you happen to have the full screenshot of this? I enjoy seeing the fat versions of all of Togami's poses.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Do you happen to have the full screenshot of this? I enjoy seeing the fat versions of all of Togami's poses.

It's one of those cases where characters are leaving the scene and their sprite appears for a split second before fading away without pausing for a chance to hide the interface.

I believe this sprite will appear again in better circumstances, but sure - here it is in this scene.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Two things

One: Your post is very redundant.

Two: Stop being so creepy.

Woooosh, goes the joke over your head.

Show Me posted:

I'm supposing it's a cultural thing. The Japanese might not think it's a big deal for a teenage girl's legs to be bound in wire and hoisted in the air, exposing her unmentionables, but for Westerners, it's unnerving.

It's a Japanese anime game that takes place on a beach. There's fanservice. Is it really necessary to discuss it forever and for everyone to make absolutely sure the thread knows you're creeped out by it because otherwise you might be a creep?? If you don't make sure to mention that you are not a creep does that mean everyone will assume you are aroused by the fanservice?

I'm not defending fanservice or anything here, it's dumb, but people's responses to it are getting even dumber.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

EdgeryWorthy posted:

I'm not defending fanservice or anything here, it's dumb, but people's responses to it are getting even dumber.

They're just wanting to discuss it but trying to make it look like they're not creepy. I'd imagine at least half of them are saying that out of a guilty conscience, and trying to avoid being treated as such. Nobody else really cares that much. It's already been addressed in the Retsutalk with Oren too.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Can we stop talking about that drat scene now? It was funny at first but it's just getting irritating seeing all these comments from pissed off goons who probably liked what they saw and don't want to admit it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

EdgeryWorthy posted:

Considering the massive outrage caused by Hanamura's blowjob joke as well, people are just really sensitive to that stuff around here. "Creepy" doesn't carry much meaning anymore.

In any case, the way I see it oren isn't going to start censoring this game for our sensitive minds so this is all pretty irrelevant. If there's going to be panties and manbulges and sex jokes in the future then it's going to be there despite our individual opinions about it.

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012
I think we've gotten way too desensitized to the whole, you know, murdering your best friends aspect of this game if a panty shot is causing this much stir. Speaking of panties, I'm interested in the relationship developing between Hanamura and Pekoyama. His sex references seem to get under her skin when they concern her, and it will be interesting to see where that goes. Perhaps a possible murder motivation? I also think that Sonya might be involved. Hanamura appeared to be playing on her childlike naivete before, but I think she's far smarter and more manipulative than she appears, and might be playing Hanamura. Nothing is certain at this point, though.

Also, who thinks they know who victim #1 will be? I'm going to say it's probably not Souda... Hm, I think Togami, just because that's the biggest possible inversion of my expectations. What does everyone else think?

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

orenronen posted:

It's one of those cases where characters are leaving the scene and their sprite appears for a split second before fading away without pausing for a chance to hide the interface.

I believe this sprite will appear again in better circumstances, but sure - here it is in this scene.

No matter how many times I look at it, those glasses really look like shades. It looks like he put them on before walking away like a cool guy.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Themata posted:

No matter how many times I look at it, those glasses really look like shades. It looks like he put them on before walking away like a cool guy.

He's only glancing back as a final farewell to the food he left behind.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

My Monobear collection is growing, with the latest (and largest!) addition courtesy of HelloWinter.

There will actually be more soon, as I just got the email today that the Monobear and Monomi papercraft models are on their way from Japan. Soon, Monobear will be staring at me wherever I turn in my apartment.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

orenronen posted:

My Monobear collection is growing, with the latest (and largest!) addition courtesy of HelloWinter.

There will actually be more soon, as I just got the email today that the Monobear and Monomi papercraft models are on their way from Japan. Soon, Monobear will be staring at me wherever I turn in my apartment.

You'll be the bringer of despair, given that Monoworld starts first with your bedroom.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Oren, I think you may have a problem or some kind of complex if you have a Monobear about your person at all times.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

How unsettling, having Monobears all over your apartment.

CrashScreen posted:

You'll be the bringer of despair, given that Monoworld starts first with your bedroom.

And the sound of the end shall be:

Upupupupu~

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
I take it you're probably going to preorder the Monobear Nendoroid when it comes out, too? Of all the DR goods I've seen, that's the one I want most.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I really want one of the hoodies :(

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Miss Kalle posted:

I take it you're probably going to preorder the Monobear Nendoroid when it comes out, too? Of all the DR goods I've seen, that's the one I want most.

For a second I thought you said 'nedroid' and pictured some kind of beartato-monobear hybrid.

It was pretty great.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Beautiful Ruin

Bah. For a bunch of thin people, you are all hopelessly slow.

I think it is you who is too fast, Togami-san.

A fatso who can move, who’d’a thought...

So, what is there to see over here?

"What is there... to see"...?

Hrmph... You... really haven’t noticed? Truly, a parade of simpletons...

Before we move on, here's one more chance to catch up on everyone's thoughts.

I wonder if that... thing... is what he wants to show us...?

I really was beginning to think no one had noticed it.

Uyu... I think that one should eat a proper breakfast before starting the day, but...

Aah, I'm sorryyyyy... I'm being too forward again, aren't I...

Mu...! What is that thing?! I don't recall seeing it here yesterday...!

A...Are you kidding me? That thing’s huge! I'm... just imagining this, right?

Sigh... So hungry...

Eh? Ehhhh?
What is this? Was it here when we were here before?

...I see. So this is what he wanted to show us.

Whooooa! W-W-W-What's that drat thing?! A UFO, straight down from the skies!

Hmhmhm... Evil intent now fills the very earth of this place...
Yes... this park is much improved from yesterday. Heh heh heh... most agreeable.

The morning sun adds a most pleasant atmosphere to this park... But, that said...
The stillness of the city of Minato in the morning fits my personality much better.

I guess that thing must be what Togami-kun wants to show us...

Hmph. Small fries...

Fatsos who can move... he's talking about piggies and cows, isn't he?

This is just like those spot-the-difference puzzles... I'm very good at them, actually!

Time to get to business.

Music fades out

W...What is that... thing?

21 More Days

Re: Despair Syndrome

At the very center of the pleasant park, an object oozing with unpleasantness...

It looks like a clock... but it isn't, is it?
It seems that... it's counting down towards something...!

Was this... here when we came to the park before?

Ku... I don't believe I saw it back then...!

This morning... I walked around the island again and found it.
It's unclear exactly when it was installed here.

It must have been Monobear who installed it...

Technical note: the timer animates with flashes of random numbers when shown in background shots like this one. The fact that my still shots capture some of them is meaningless - the actual numbers that are supposed to be on the timer are more like the ones shown in the closeup before.

...What does this countdown mean?

Hmmm... Ibuki can't even begin to guess!

Hoh hoh... it’s another inexplicable mystery to put on the pile...
But, it has nothing to do with me. I don't believe any of it, after all.

Could it be... a bomb of some sort?

A...A BOMB?!

If they wanted to destroy the island, they would have done so by now. Why bother with the flashy countdown?

So... what is it counting down towards?

...It's a mystery.

Cuwioser and cuwioser...

Kya!

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

Kyaaaaa!
M...Monomi?!

H...How come you're here?!

I was patwolling the area and heard everyone's voices, so I came to see what was going on...

That's not it... Didn't Monobear kill you or something?

Oh that’s what you're all so surpwised about!

Hee hee hee! You shouldn't have wowwied!
I can't die, after all!

I see... You are an undead being resurrected from Yomi, the land of the dead...

Yomi is what the land of the dead is called in Japanese mythology. All sorts of unpleasant stuff happened there.

Ha! Shall I hunt and domesticate you, then?!

Silly Gundam. Not even in mythology has anyone ever actually escaped from Yomi who wasn’t just visiting. There was this one guy who tried to facilitate such an escape but that didn’t go entirely to plan. Although he did accidentally create several major deities in the aftermath, so it wasn’t a total wash.

Monomi is probably a mechanical stuffed doll, isn't she? You can't kill something that isn't alive, can you?

Now you bring it up... I guess you're right. Long as there’s spares, it's all good.

A spare...? I don't like the sound of that word!

Your timing is impeccable, though. There is something I wanted to ask you.

Answer me. What does this countdown mean?

...Hoeh? Countdown?

Howawa, are you talking about that thing?!
U...Um... I'm vewy sorry...
That's... a little difficult for me to understand...

Are you telling the truth? Do you really not know...?

I...I'm sorry... I’m not pwivy to everything Monobear is doing...

You're his little sister, and you don't know?!

I am not my big bwother's little sister!

Which is it? Do you accept your new setup or not?

A...Anyway... Let's figure it out together!
Let's drive that meanie Monobear off this island!

If you don't know anything about this timer, you're useless. Go away.

Um... But, together...

Go. Away.

Kya!
I...I'm sowwy!

Beautiful Ruin

Um... I think we treated her a little too harshly, do you not agree? I feel a bit sorry for her...

Sonia-san! May I call you Sonia-san?! I'm gonna call you Sonia-san!

...You shouldn't sympathize with that bunny. She's probably in cahoots with Monobear.

Let's forget those stuffed toys... the issue of this clock is far more important, isn't it?

It is ominous, is it not?
How could someone install that large construction in just a single night?
Hmmm... I can't even imagine...

In other words, this isn't reality! This is the ultimate proof!

But, that's not the only thing that's difficult to imagine...
Everything that occurred in the last 24 hours has been a giant mess of unimaginable things...
For example... how did the sixteen of us get to this island...?

Ocean Breeze Dead End

It's a pain, so I decided not to think about that... Sure is a mystery.

And it’s only the first.
Jabberwock Island is a famous resort location. How come it's been deserted?
There aren't any tourists here, not to mention the local population... Is such a thing really possible?

An extravagant civilization, fated to fall into ruin... Void became existence, and existence void...

Are you saying... they've all been destroyed?

Civilization is much akin to fruit. Shortly after ripening it will rot, and, without fail, fall.
Growing wealth makes fanatics of private enterprises. Bureaucrats shape the law into a tool that serves only to keep them in power.
As a result, the weight of vested interest sinks the country into conservatism, and all attempts at reform are crushed...

...It truly is a sad state of affairs.

Um, that kinda went over my head, but I don't think that's what’s going on here...

It's simple, you dummies... They used those Monobeasts and massacred eeeveryone on the island, didn't they?

And that's how... it became an uninhabited island?!

It’s possible, but... we don’t know for certain that’s what happened..

When all is said and done, this mystery is still a mystery.

Gugigigigigi...! Too many mysteries!!

True. Mysteries everywhere...
So many astonishing mysteries piled together... this isn’t the work of some after-school club.
W...What are you trying to say...?

What I’m trying to say is... this situation is, without question, the work of some kind of powerful organization.

...A powerful organization?

Monomi, Monobear, the Monobeasts... To construct sophisticated machines like these takes considerable expertise...

And not just expertise... It’s also extremely costly. The parts you need aren’t just found lying around.

In all likelihood, the organization is operating those machines while watching us through the surveillance cameras...

Are they hiding somewhere on the island?

No... it wouldn’t make much sense for them to physically be here. They are probably somewhere else. Somewhere safe.

And where... would that be?

That, I do not know...
In any case, it is certain that some kind of powerful organization is controlling our situation.

Hmmm... I can’t imagine any organization that could set up a situation like this...

I can. Several, in fact.
My own family’s Togami Conglomerate. The kingdom of Novoselic... And the Kuzuryuu Family...
It must be an organization on the same scale as these.

Eh?!

I'm used to being a suspect. Think what you want...

Wait! You and Kuzuryuu are possibilities, sure, but I won’t allow any suspicion towards Sonia-san!!
Look at her! She's a golden haired princess! She's nothing like the rest of you commoners!

Yeah, yeah... why are the extras talking so much?

E...Extra?! Is she talking about me?!

Those clothes you're wearing... are you just trying to look cool because your personality is so shallow?

Hee hee... it's very difficult to survive when you're employed as a disposable extra, you know.

I..If this keeps going on, she's going to traumatize me for life!

Hey, Togami... Are you serious? Do you really think your or Sonia's families are involved...?

...I was just giving examples. I was not trying to throw suspicion into any of us.
But... they definitely all count as “powerful organizations”...

Even if such an organization exists... for what reason are they doing this to us?

By the way, how much longer are we going to talk about this? Why not turn the conversation into something a little more real?

Our enemy's goals are still unclear to me... This will change as soon as we know for certain who they are.

In other words, our first priority is to investigate our captors' identity. We shall surely also discover a means to escape if we do.
Luckily, according to the Electronic Student Handbook, we are free to investigate this island...

Music fades out

There must be a clue here somewhere. We have no time to waste... We have to search as if our lives depend on it.

Beautiful Ruin

Absolutely! Let's go!

...Wait, what are we looking for again?

...Akane-chan, haven't you been listening? We're looking for hints to the enemy's identity.

It will not be a problem. No organization on this earth can stop me.

My Four Dark Gods of Destruction will render any who oppose me to ashes!

Whaa! Little hamsters came out of his muffler!

Heh heh. Such cute little hamsters!

Cute... little hamsters...?

...T...Thank you.

He looks quite pleased, doesn't he!

How can he speak to Sonia-san in such a carefree way? I'll have to give him a beating later...

Somehow... I still don't think they're being nervous enough, but...

I think I feel thankful for this atmosphere now. It's strange, but I feel I can trust everybody with this job.
It must be... that self-assurance that people holding a "Super High-school Level" talent have about themselves...

But...

What about me?

Is it really okay for me to throw out my chest as one of them?

poo poo... I still can't remember... I can't remember what kind of talent I have...!

...Anyway, let me say one more thing to all of you.
We have no time for foolish ideas such as murder. We have to concentrate on the things we must do right now.
Let us observe, infer, perceive and understand. If that much is impossible for any of you, at the very least move your bodies.
Most importantly, follow me. I will return us all to normality.

You understand, don't you? This is an order from your leader.

Whaa, that was super-cool!

He lifted his right arm and it's all wobbly! I have a nickname for him that fits perfectly -- "Mr. Porkfeet!"

M...Mr. Porkfeet...?

Heh... I never thought I'd see the day when someone has the nerve to call me something like that.
...Huh? Aren't you mad?

It is nothing to be mad about, is it?
She took a good look at me, and came up with a nickname that fits. There is nothing deceitful or untruthful there.

Or perhaps... it's something I've longed for myself. How ironic that I noticed it only when faced with this kind of predicament...

I...don’t know why he’s so pleased by this...

Pay me no attention. I was just talking to myself.
I...I see...

I don't really get it... but it seems there's more to him than being an overconfident jerk.

He managed to stay cool in this situation... Maybe I can actually rely on him...

So, just like Togami-kun said, let's go do whatever we can without letting unneeded thoughts come into our heads!
This is certainly a bad situation, but it's still not the worst!

I mean, we're not alone. We're friends... no, more than that... We’re comrades! We’re all in this together!

You're being lame again!

Ahaha, of course. I thought so myself.

Comrades, huh? It's a little embarrassing, and I don't think I've felt it until now, but...
Maybe, in this situation...

No, because we're in this situation... this may be true.

We couldn't solve the mystery of the foreboding countdown.
But we decided not to lose heart, and returned to our cottages.

I should believe in my friends... huh.

It's still a little difficult for me, but I guess I could try doing that, even if just a little bit.

...I guess thinking even that is kind of a big step forward for me, isn't it?

Well, then. I can't idle around in my room all day.

I have plenty of time. I guess I should go around and speak to people.

Tutorial posted:

We're sorry to interrupt, but it's time for a tutorial.
During your field trip, there are time periods referred to as "Free Time".
During Free Time, you may spend time with your fellow students and deepen the bonds between you.
Furthermore, you may give them presents to increase the goodwill they hold towards you.
You may acquire presents in the Monomono Machine at the beach, or at the vending machine in the supermarket.
When bonds get deeper, you shall be privy to special events, and additional information will be added to the student roster in your handbook.
Furthermore, if you show the Hope Shards you have gathered to Usami, you can exchange them for all kinds of useful skills.
Please do your best to deepen bonds with as many classmates as you can manage.
When you spend time with a classmate, time will also pass in the game, and you will find yourself back in your cottage.
After several Free Time periods are over, the story will continue.
By the way, you can use the bed in your cottage to skip Free Time periods.
We do not recommend that at all, but players who want to continue with the story as quickly as possible may do so.

FREE TIME START

You know what to do. Nevertheless, some notes: First, I will not be completing characters' free time events after each chapter. Not just because (as DR1 proved) it's a pain, but also because the game provides a much better way to get to them after you see the ending. Second, as opposed to DR1, every character here gets the exact same number of scenes. We need our first two characters to make Hope Shards with, so get voting!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It must be Gundam and Togami for entertainment and potentially some more info.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Togami and Nidai are the stars of this show thus far, let's give them a round of applause.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Let's spend time with Togami and Chiaki.

orenronen posted:

Second, as opposed to DR1, every character here gets the exact same number of scenes.
So I'm guessing everyone has 5 scenes then? 6 Hope Shards total for everyone and we already have 1 from meeting with everyone. Also I wonder if this means the first murder doesn't occur for a while or if you can't finish the first victim's social link on the first playthrough?

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 21, 2013

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Togami and Nidai

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Fedule posted:

It must be Gundam and Togami for entertainment and potentially some more info.

Fedule hit it right on the nose.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Yay, Monomi's back! (Well, it was probably inevitable, but still.) It would be kind of nice for Sonia to use her persuasion powers more to get everyone to at least listen to her, though...

As for free time, I vote for Gundam and Nidai!

President Ark posted:

For a second I thought you said 'nedroid' and pictured some kind of beartato-monobear hybrid.

It was pretty great.

This needs to be drawn immediately if not in the near future

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Togami and Souda seem the most doomed, so let's go with them.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Let's talk to Gundam and Nagito!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Togami and Nidai! I just have to see their events!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Gundam and Nidai for maximum comedy potential.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Gundam and Nidai

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Let's go with Kuzuryuu (since we interacted with him the least) and Peko, shall we?

And for some reason, I smell a love triangle murder between Souda, Gundam and Sonia in the future.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Gundam and Sonia, natch.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Sonia is starting to appear to be a far better character than just some naive airhead. And let's just toss Peko in there for good measure.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I'm intrigued by Togami and Sonia

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Gundam and Sonia are my picks for this set.

Edit: Speaking of Gundam, anyone else wondering if the hamsters are just to attract girls? It would be a rather interesting piece of development, considering his reaction to Sonia's comment.

RefinedUndefined fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 21, 2013

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Let's talk to Akane and Peko.

Embarrassed Gundam is surprisingly adorable and certainly unexpected. He really is almost completely like an overimaginative 8th grader.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Tanaka and his hamsters :3: That little interaction with Sonia was so great. I really like all these characters so far, they already have more personality than the DR1 crew.

Let's hang out with Togami and Souda.

Jasper Chalks
Dec 23, 2011
Souda and Kuzuryuu

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Togami and Ibuki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

orenronen posted:

Cute... little hamsters...?

...T...Thank you.
Oh man how could I not vote for Gundam after that? :3:

As for who else... I guess I liked how well Kuzuryuu took being suspected.

• Locked thread