Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
It's pretty reasonable for someone who benefits from a union to expect their unionized coworkers to not shop at stores that aggressively work to prevent and eliminate unions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
Right, so to hopefully break up 'Shop Elsewhere' talk, if I may...

I'm so glad I'm no longer at DollarDrama. I dunno if I posted before but I found out this week that one of the key holders slapped a cashier so hard it left a mark and then went on to only getting a verbal warning because, as she put it; apparently she slapped her 'jokingly' and didn't mean to do so, so hard.

How the hell did she manage to keep her job after physically assaulting someone?!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Funny enough the till staff at our medium size regional supermarket seem to be allowed to talk about the big supermarkets even, as well as shopping at them. Sometimes part of the small talk is something like "hey have you seen that offer for x in Tesco, not bad eh, I was in there last night". No one bats an eyelid.

But I guess in a way they are a bit like a huge version of the humble corner shop and also are all about quality and supporting local farms and all that. So they know full well that people will shop at the big cheap places and go to theirs for speciality stuff, top ups, beer deals, when they have a bit extra money and don't mind using it to support local produce on and off etc. It's a nice laid back attitude - let's be honest, a good supermarket shouldn't have to worry about people talking about or occasionally using rivals.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I can probably get in trouble for it, but I care too much about people (even after a year in retail, I don't know how the gently caress :psyduck:) to let them buy some things from Dollar Tree. Our clothespins, for example, are prone to break and 36 for a $1.06 after tax. Walmart's are probably equally prone to break, but you get 50 for $1.03 after tax. If people ask for clothespins and they're not dicks, I'll probably direct them to Walmart.

GargleBlaster posted:

Funny enough the till staff at our medium size regional supermarket seem to be allowed to talk about the big supermarkets even, as well as shopping at them. Sometimes part of the small talk is something like "hey have you seen that offer for x in Tesco, not bad eh, I was in there last night". No one bats an eyelid.

But I guess in a way they are a bit like a huge version of the humble corner shop and also are all about quality and supporting local farms and all that. So they know full well that people will shop at the big cheap places and go to theirs for speciality stuff, top ups, beer deals, when they have a bit extra money and don't mind using it to support local produce on and off etc. It's a nice laid back attitude - let's be honest, a good supermarket shouldn't have to worry about people talking about or occasionally using rivals.

The whole support-a-local-business thing is why I get a fair proportion of my cigars and all of my pipe tobacco lately from the little tobacco shop in the same plaza I work in. Their prices are a bit higher than I'd spend online, but I can more easily buy by the stick and the owners are really nice people.

And they have a Yorkie who loves the hell out of me :3:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sonic Dude posted:

Because if the company goes under, he loses his job. If he loses his job, he loses his insurance. If he loses his insurance, something as simple as an antibiotic for a cough could cost $100+.

Makes sense to me why he'd want his company to remain in business and continue employing him.

It's entirely possible that a lot of people in this thread don't share his opinion because we aren't entirely in the same position. I'm guessing that most of us don't stand to lose anything except minimum wage (that you can get at most jobs) and a lot of stress if our stores go under. I personally don't agree with the idea of my employer dictating where their employees can shop, but then I have a very low opinion of my employer because they give me no benefits and go out of their way to screw me over whenever possible.

In other news, I officially got written up for my e-mail numbers today. Basically now they don't even want me to ask for e-mails in a way that might make customers think they have a choice. So far it's been working, except for the part where I feel like a lovely human being.

Probably the best moment of the whole thing was when the manager told me "I'd rather you get your head ripped off for harassing customers about e-mails than me get my head ripped off by corporate." Thanks dude, I'm really looking forward to getting bitched at by pissed off customers even more.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
NaturalLow, where do you work? The only place I've been asked about email is Michaels, and I just give them my spare one.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cuntvalet posted:

I'm so glad I'm no longer at DollarDrama. I dunno if I posted before but I found out this week that one of the key holders slapped a cashier so hard it left a mark and then went on to only getting a verbal warning because, as she put it; apparently she slapped her 'jokingly' and didn't mean to do so, so hard.

How the hell did she manage to keep her job after physically assaulting someone?!

Presumably because they didn't press charges.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

NaturalLow, where do you work? The only place I've been asked about email is Michaels, and I just give them my spare one.

Dunhams Sports. It's for their "rewards program," which really just means they send you coupons based on what you buy and a digital version of their weekly ad. Supposedly the numbers show rewards members tend to spend more money than non-rewards members, so that's why they put so much emphasis on it (I'm sure it doesn't hurt that it's probably super cheap advertising). I think this is just because people who shop in our store a lot sign-up just to get us to stop asking them, but corporate seems to think signing someone up will instantly make them big spenders I guess.

Like I said, the new method they want me to use is working better. It just makes me uncomfortable because it's not the way I normally speak to people and frankly it seems kind of rude/misleading to me since it makes it seem like giving your e-mail is mandatory for checking out.

I'm still looking around and gathering up job applications, so hopefully I can quit dealing with this poo poo soon.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

So, in the past week or so at poo poo Restaurant:

- a manager has been told by the owner that he's "going to kill her"
- same manager got into a fight with her sister in front of customers
- we have hired two of the dumbest people on the planet who ask questions such as "where can I get water"
- we rehired another manager who walked out on his last shift
- we got busy on a Friday night and the hostess would only seat me/my good friend because "you're the only people who know what you're doing." this happens regularly and ends up with us having ~8 tables while everyone else freaks out about having two.
- someone from a private number is calling the female managers and saying incredibly obscene poo poo

I don't know, every day it's some new, different horseshit. We also have the same problem we've had for two years with the health department - the owners don't see a need to take their suggestions seriously and so we get horrible scores and it's just gross.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

ThreeFish posted:

Do people generally go shopping in their (obvious) PJs? I'd seriously bet that more than 50% of my customers are clearly in their pajamas. Is this an American thing?

I've only shopped in my pajamas once, and that was when I scraped myself out of bed for long enough to drag myself to the store to buy Mucinex when I had the flu a couple weeks ago. I tried to make it not obvious (wearing a coat and making sure my pajama pants were plain black sweatpants) until I got to the parking lot and realized I hadn't even brushed my hair after being bedridden for several days :downs: My thought process the whole time was "oh god they probably think I'm one of those people who looks like this all the time" and tried to be in and out as quickly as possible. I don't understand how normal, healthy people go out to the store in their pajamas and think "yep this is perfectly ok".

I have seen people in their pajamas, usually at Walmart at odd hours of the night. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Aside from children (and honestly I think it reflects poorly on parents who permit this) I've only ever had a single person come through the store in what could have been his pyjamas (he was wearing boxer shorts). What we do get a lot of here in Australia is guys wandering around topless, or in swim suits/board shorts. I'd say we'd get several topless guys per day in Summer. (I'd like to emphasise that my store is in an inner city area, the nearest beach would be 40 minutes drive away).

I don't really mind when it's hot 20 somethings, but when it's fat hairy 60 year olds it gets annoying.

It's also fairly common to have people wandering around barefoot, especially kids. I don't particularly like this, but mostly for safety reasons.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That doesn't happen much in the US because nearly every store (Maybe even every?) has a sign that says "No shirt, no shoes, no service". It may even be law but i'm not sure on that.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sankis posted:

That doesn't happen much in the US because nearly every store (Maybe even every?) has a sign that says "No shirt, no shoes, no service". It may even be law but i'm not sure on that.

The Walmart in my hometown routinely lets guys walk around shirtless. It doesn't happen often, but I have seen it. Of course for all I know they could have been asked to leave right after that, but I doubt it. I've also seen little kids in lots of stores going around barefoot.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have seen people in their pajamas, usually at Walmart at odd hours of the night. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

I have been the guy in pajamas at Walmart at 3 AM. If you've rolled out of bed at 3AM to go to a Wal-Mart, you've already lost your dignity. Might as well be wearing comfy flannel.

In other news, today was the busiest day I've ever had at work. Instead of our normal three or four staff, it was me and the owner, and he was busy pretty much all day with a big deal. So it's just me dealing with 15-20+ people in the store at any given time. I was running the cash register, getting product from the back rooms, answering the phones, administrating an event in the back of the store, retrieving product from multiple showcases... basically, the entire day I was walking around the store in a loop so I could multitask between two or three customers. My boss brought me a coffee and a donut and it took me over an hour for me to have a hand and mouth free long enough to eat the donut, and that was long after the main rush of the day had subsided.

I've been calling my boss on my days off and asking for more hours. The money is nice, but mostly I want to have time to do the stuff in the backroom that I'm supposed to be working on. I used to take time aside to put away stuff in the back when the pile back there got past knee-height, and that would take the good part of a day. Now there are three piles of stuff waiting to be put away, all at chest level.

Understaffing!

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I work at a toy store (in the US) and so we see lots of kids in pj's or barefoot. Also some women go around barefoot carrying their high heels in their hand or in their shopping cart. We've only had one guy come in shirtless and it was at 10PM when nobody else was shopping. We waited till he was checking out before saying "Next time, wear a shirt. This is a kid's place." It seemed like it hadn't even occurred to him he was going into a toy store shirtless. Like he'd been walking all over town like that all day (and I wouldn't doubt it.)

We do have a sign that says "No shirt, No shoes, No service" but apparently in these cases it isn't strictly enforced.

On an unrelated note a guy called about 2 minutes to close and got our manager.
Manager: Hello how can I help you?
Customer: Yeah what time to you close?
Manager: 9:00, so In about 2 minutes.
Customer: Well, can you hold the store open? I need to come make a return.
Manager: No we close at 9.
Customer: Well I'll be there in like 10 minutes, can't you just wait?
Manager: If you can get here in 2 minutes-- Oh one minute now, before we close, then I'll be happy to do your return.
Customer: This is NO WAY to do business! I can't believe this!
Manager: We're still open for one more minute--
Customer: UUrgh!! *click*
Manager: I doubt he's going to make it. :smug:

Why would you desperately need to return something at 9pm anyways? It's not like we won't be open tomorrow.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Our in-store pharmacy shuts down for 30 minutes mid-afternoon for lunch. Pharmacy is a completely different beast unlike the rest of the store. There are no traditional 'breaks' because there is always so much work to be done. That 30 minute lunch period is pretty precious, and may be the only time during the 10-12 hour day where we have an opportunity to cram nutrition down our throats. We try and wrap every script up before lunch so we can go to lunch on time, and enjoy the entire 30 minute break.

Of course, people exploit the poo poo out of the fact that we try to wrap up all scripts before lunch.

We usually get bum rushed by people at the last loving minute.

*t minus 3 minutes till lunch*
:j: "Hi! I have 6 new prescriptions. I don't have a lot of time and im in a lot of pain. Can you fill them before you go to lunch?

:suicide: "Sure...."

These assholes KNOW that we will rush fill their poo poo. What usually ends up happening is that we start filling, something gets hosed up with insurance or whatever, and 20 minutes later we get done with everything. We finally get to close the pharmacy down for 10 WHOLE MINUTES. It is always the same people pull the same act EVERY SINGLE MONTH.

The pharmacy manager got fed up with it, and basically told us that the pharmacy from now on would be shutting down on time and opening up on time. If someone pulls the 5 scripts before lunch routine, we will begin working on them AFTER lunch.

And my, how this has made these assholes rage...

*t minus 3 minutes till lunch*
:j: "Hi! I have 6 new prescriptions. I don't have a lot of time and i'm in a lot of pain. Can you fill them before you go to lunch?

:sun: "We're going to lunch in 3 minutes, and we won't have time to fill them all before then. We will get working on them once we get back and will have them all ready for you 45 minutes from now!."

:j: "What? This is loving ridiculous! You can't just go to lunch! (yes they actually say that). Well im gonna go to WAL-MART and get them filled there instead.

:sun: "Cool, have a good day! (hahahaha!)"

Then we see them a month later....

:j: "Hi! Can you fill these for me?"
:sun: "Sure! Hey, I thought you moved all your stuff to Wal-Mart?"
:j: "Well I did, but they are terrible. It took them 2 hours to fill all my medications, and they gave me the wrong pills for one of my prescriptions."

Pharmacy schadenfreud

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
People go shopping in their PJs? Wat?

I can understand with onesies, which are terrible but marketed as "hey you can go shopping in these!" (so long as you don't mind looking like a complete tool). Do you see many of those now, especially since Christmas?

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Buggiezor posted:

I work at a toy store (in the US) and so we see lots of kids in pj's or barefoot. Also some women go around barefoot carrying their high heels in their hand or in their shopping cart. We've only had one guy come in shirtless and it was at 10PM when nobody else was shopping. We waited till he was checking out before saying "Next time, wear a shirt. This is a kid's place." It seemed like it hadn't even occurred to him he was going into a toy store shirtless. Like he'd been walking all over town like that all day (and I wouldn't doubt it.)

We do have a sign that says "No shirt, No shoes, No service" but apparently in these cases it isn't strictly enforced.

On an unrelated note a guy called about 2 minutes to close and got our manager.
Manager: Hello how can I help you?
Customer: Yeah what time to you close?
Manager: 9:00, so In about 2 minutes.
Customer: Well, can you hold the store open? I need to come make a return.
Manager: No we close at 9.
Customer: Well I'll be there in like 10 minutes, can't you just wait?
Manager: If you can get here in 2 minutes-- Oh one minute now, before we close, then I'll be happy to do your return.
Customer: This is NO WAY to do business! I can't believe this!
Manager: We're still open for one more minute--
Customer: UUrgh!! *click*
Manager: I doubt he's going to make it. :smug:

Why would you desperately need to return something at 9pm anyways? It's not like we won't be open tomorrow.

When I was working retail, I had this exact conversation but without the manager nearby. The guy showed up 15 minutes after we closed, banged on the door until the manager went to tell him to go away, then lied and told the manager that I'd said we would stay open for him. It was my word against his, and since the customer is always right, I got written up.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

GargleBlaster posted:

People go shopping in their PJs? Wat?

I can understand with onesies, which are terrible but marketed as "hey you can go shopping in these!" (so long as you don't mind looking like a complete tool). Do you see many of those now, especially since Christmas?

Onesies are surely something that loads of people got for Christmas. I think my little sister got one for the last couple of Christmases in a row.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I finally got the retail rite of passage today: cleaning up a hopelessly clogged toilet full of toilet paper and poo poo that had been sitting for god knows how long (possibly days since it was the men's bathroom and the toilet rarely gets used). I don't know why anyone would think that it would be a good idea to fill a toilet up nearly to the brim with toilet paper. If you really need that much paper, divide it up and flush twice!

The worst part is I have a feeling this may have been one of my coworker's (the soon to be shift manager) idea of a prank on me. The last time I worked with him he came back from break and made sure we all knew he was going off to take a huge poo poo (because he's one of those guys), then kind of gave this little laugh as he walked off and said something about how he wasn't the one who would have to clean the bathrooms Sunday. And he knows I almost always clean them on the weekend because I'm the only one that doesn't really mind doing it. If he did in fact do this (intentionally) I'm pretty sure that will be it for me. I don't know if I'll even wait around long enough to get another job. I realize that sounds kind of paranoid, but if you knew this guy and the stuff he does to all of us everyday as "pranks" it wouldn't seem so far-fetched.

[For example that same day he was on a ladder handing down a stack of shoe boxes (with shoes in them) to another girl and before she had a grip on them, he threw them all down and hit her in the face with them. Because I guess that's funny?]

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

NaturalLow posted:

I finally got the retail rite of passage today: cleaning up a hopelessly clogged toilet full of toilet paper and poo poo that had been sitting for god knows how long (possibly days since it was the men's bathroom and the toilet rarely gets used). I don't know why anyone would think that it would be a good idea to fill a toilet up nearly to the brim with toilet paper. If you really need that much paper, divide it up and flush twice!

The worst part is I have a feeling this may have been one of my coworker's (the soon to be shift manager) idea of a prank on me. The last time I worked with him he came back from break and made sure we all knew he was going off to take a huge poo poo (because he's one of those guys), then kind of gave this little laugh as he walked off and said something about how he wasn't the one who would have to clean the bathrooms Sunday. And he knows I almost always clean them on the weekend because I'm the only one that doesn't really mind doing it. If he did in fact do this (intentionally) I'm pretty sure that will be it for me. I don't know if I'll even wait around long enough to get another job. I realize that sounds kind of paranoid, but if you knew this guy and the stuff he does to all of us everyday as "pranks" it wouldn't seem so far-fetched.

[For example that same day he was on a ladder handing down a stack of shoe boxes (with shoes in them) to another girl and before she had a grip on them, he threw them all down and hit her in the face with them. Because I guess that's funny?]

If I were you I'd document everything and contact HR, that kind of stuff is a court case waiting to happen.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

From what I've seen, he documents a lot of this stupid poo poo himself. Like the time I caught him and one of the other guys in the stockroom riding a pallet jack as fast as they could, trying to spin it out (on a solid concrete floor) and filming it on his cell phone of course. They were supposed to be cleaning the stockroom at the time.

Beside the fact that they could have fallen off and cracked their loving skulls, if they hadn't been trying to spin they probably would have hit me with it. Or if someone had walked through the door at just the right time they probably would have been hit as well. He later showed the video of it to our assistant manager, who just laughed about it with him. :psyduck:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Wow that guy sounds like an absolute moron.

Report him AND the assistant manager before someone gets seriously injured (or worse).

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
A few months back, a brand new cashier mucked up checking IDs and got caught in some kind of alcohol-to-minors sting or something. So, we had to give up our liquor license for a month at some point and pay a hefty fine. Apparently some regional management type tried to wheedle the city into just paying a much bigger fine, but they said no. As a result, we cannot currently sell booze. Which means we lose out on all those super bowl parties. And every other customer who wanders through now has to bother someone about where the beer is. Seriously people there are SIGNS all over the aisle it used to be in. They say that it is gone and when it will be back. This was also on the radio and in the paper. Nobody pays attention to anything! At least I haven't had any customers get angry at me over it. Yet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Zeth posted:

A few months back, a brand new cashier mucked up checking IDs and got caught in some kind of alcohol-to-minors sting or something. So, we had to give up our liquor license for a month at some point and pay a hefty fine. Apparently some regional management type tried to wheedle the city into just paying a much bigger fine, but they said no. As a result, we cannot currently sell booze. Which means we lose out on all those super bowl parties. And every other customer who wanders through now has to bother someone about where the beer is. Seriously people there are SIGNS all over the aisle it used to be in. They say that it is gone and when it will be back. This was also on the radio and in the paper. Nobody pays attention to anything! At least I haven't had any customers get angry at me over it. Yet.

What happened to the cashier?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Yesterday was a tolerable day.

I noticed that all the halo signs around the store still had their Christmas signs on them, so I got a ladder and changed them to Easter. In the process, I noticed how disgustingly dirty they were, so I started to clean them.

Then I got to the back wall where we keep the chemicals. Saw that the top shelf was beyond disgusting, so I gave THAT a cleaning as well. And then kept going on the back wall. There's about 240 feet of shelving total back there. I don't think I finished 120. It was so bad I was wearing one of those doctor's masks to keep the particulate matter the gently caress out of my lungs.

It was gross, but at least some of it got done and the shelves look a lot better now. :unsmith:

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

If its anything like the company I work for, immediate termination.

mookerson
Feb 27, 2011

please work out

NaturalLow posted:

From what I've seen, he documents a lot of this stupid poo poo himself. Like the time I caught him and one of the other guys in the stockroom riding a pallet jack as fast as they could, trying to spin it out (on a solid concrete floor) and filming it on his cell phone of course. They were supposed to be cleaning the stockroom at the time.
Oh come on, who has worked in a retail stock room and NOT done this?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I had a grocery manager at an IGA I worked for who was loving around with a pallet jack, trying to show how difficult it is to hurt yourself as the pilot because he thought safety was dumb. He stuck his foot beneath the raised pallet, which had a couple layers of bottled water on it, to show that you have to go out of your way to get injured, and then he randomly squeezed the handle and dropped it on his foot. :downs:

When he came back from having broken his toes, he was mighty big on safety then, let me tell you. If only he wasn't the owner's little brother, he might have gotten fired for something so stupid. :allears:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

mookerson posted:

Oh come on, who has worked in a retail stock room and NOT done this?

Personally I think it's idiotic and dangerous to anyone who might be in the stockroom, but to each their own I guess. I probably wouldn't have cared so much except that there was tons of work that had to be done before we could go home and this meant two people on shift who could be helping were just loving around in the back doing nothing. This was right after Christmas so there was what could only be described as a giant mound of returns that had to be put away. But since the registers were so insanely busy no one at the front could leave the counter long enough to do it. They only started helping out when the manager on duty called them up there, which played out like a mom telling her kids to do their chores (which is a recurring theme: managers herding them around like children, then they get mad because their fun was ruined).

It's more that it's part of a bigger pattern. I cannot tell you how many times everyone else in the store would be absolutely busting their rear end because there's so much poo poo to do and that guy is sitting in the office talking, knocking stuff over/out of our hands, prank calling the register in the middle of a rush, etc. To this day none of us can find shoes in the back because he was supposed to reorganize it months ago, started on it halfway and then never worked on it again.

I'm not a "no fun allowed" type. I goof off on the job sometimes and I don't have a problem with other people doing it too, as long as work gets done at some point too. When it starts making my job harder/even more unpleasant, that's when I draw the line.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

The Lord Bude posted:

Definitely instantly fired, someone I was talking to yesterday thought they might have gotten fined too, but I don't know what the rules are about that. It wasn't anyone I'd ever met, I only heard about it all pretty long after it happened.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
drat. I worked with a dude who got caught twice in one week selling cigs to a minor, and neither he nor the store got in any kind of poo poo.

e: Yes, it was the regional health unit that busted him both times.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Stuff like this is one my worries on the job. We don't sell alcohol, but ammunition has age limits (18 for rifles and shotguns, 21 for handgun ammo). They aren't super strict about it unless the person is super young looking, but I'm always afraid one of the days I don't check is the day some secret shopper or something will come through my line. It doesn't help because nobody at the store is ever very clear about whether I'm supposed to refuse the sale if they don't have ID, which a lot of people never do since they don't realize ammo has age limits. So far the only ones I've outright refused are when parents send their 10-11 year old kids in to buy bullets. :wtc:

It also worries me when we have adults clearly buying air pistols and stuff for small children when the age limit is 18 on those, but I don't think there's any kind of store policy about that one.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
Because my company has a new president, he's enforcing so many new rules especially for cashiers. Before now, you might get a finger shaken at you if you didn't get enough rewards cards/smart plans/credit cards. Now, every week, the managers have to fill out forms for each cashier and their percentage VS the company goal. On that form the cashiers have to explain why they didn't meet the goal in each category and meet with the store manager if they are under the goal. The reason why our store never reaches the rewards card goal is because it requires an email address and 75% of the people that shop there are old and don't have one. It's so ridiculous, it makes everyone feel like they are children, I'm glad I'm leaving before this new company president can enforce more dumb policies.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Zeth posted:

Definitely instantly fired, someone I was talking to yesterday thought they might have gotten fined too, but I don't know what the rules are about that. It wasn't anyone I'd ever met, I only heard about it all pretty long after it happened.

My breakroom has signs posted saying that both the store and the cashier will be fined if you sell cigarettes to a minor. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same with Alcohol.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Dead Pikachu posted:

Because my company has a new president, he's enforcing so many new rules especially for cashiers. Before now, you might get a finger shaken at you if you didn't get enough rewards cards/smart plans/credit cards. Now, every week, the managers have to fill out forms for each cashier and their percentage VS the company goal. On that form the cashiers have to explain why they didn't meet the goal in each category and meet with the store manager if they are under the goal. The reason why our store never reaches the rewards card goal is because it requires an email address and 75% of the people that shop there are old and don't have one. It's so ridiculous, it makes everyone feel like they are children, I'm glad I'm leaving before this new company president can enforce more dumb policies.

This was one of the reasons working at RadioShack was terrible. If we didn't hit X% of emails we'd have to call our DM and explain why it didn't happen. No matter the significance of the reason, "we only had 2 customers in the last 6 hours and neither of them had emails," we'd be threatened with firing and written up.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Its because of strictness with that, that I still get ID checked for alcohol (which is 18 in the UK) at 30 years old. I just take it as a compliment and mild amusement, and its not exactly difficult to carry a driving license or other ID in your wallet, though I've seen some people really kick off about it. I tell one of my own friends off for bitching about it sometimes :p I mean come on, they're just trying to cover their arses in a system where they would be fired on the spot if they screwed up.

If it still happens at 40, yay!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dead Pikachu posted:

Wow and I thought my store was bad with the now daily e-mail spreadsheets. I've never had to explain why I didn't get e-mails, beyond informal conversations with my manager every time he bitches at me about my numbers.

Fortunately I think my numbers will probably be higher now that I've gotten more forceful about asking and I get to start with a clean slate in February. Of course between this and all the poo poo I mentioned with my coworkers, I'm ready to get the hell out of there.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

I don't think I ever had to check ID for alcohol when I worked in the electronics section of Target, but I did have to swipe IDs for M-rated games, which annoyed some people. And only specific IDs would work, and we had a few new immigrants shopping in the store who either had no ID or a Mexico ID, etc. I don't even think a visa or passport would work. Also had to call the lead from the front lanes to come over to override it, which always took forever and annoying the customer a lot more than having to actually be carded.

I loved working at Target, but what I'm glad that I no longer have to worry about surveys, red cards, protection plans, etc. Now I work as a vendor rep but am basically a retail worker in about 4 different stores but for only 2-5 hour shifts. For a long time we weren't expected to do anything other than inform and try to sell our product. But now they have started telling us we should be attaching the store's plans and the like to everything. I'm waiting for the day where they start asking us to collect customer information before we send them off to the register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Zeth posted:

Over here the individual who sells the Alcohol gets a fine up to $8K

Sankis posted:

My breakroom has signs posted saying that both the store and the cashier will be fined if you sell cigarettes to a minor. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same with Alcohol.

Selling cigarettes to minors is much more serious than selling Alcohol. The fine is over $20k, and you can spend up to 2 years in prison.