Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Crunkjuice posted:

You don't chase him below your max depth. Signal, make noise, do whatever you can to get his attention, but you should never risk your health for someone else.

Well of course you wouldn't. I'm saying that other than signals and noise, that's your only real option for reigning someone like that in.

And by that I mean it's a non-option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Somebody get IM FROM THE FUTURE to develop a non-lethal underwater spear gun so you could just spear and reel in dive buddies that are going dangrously deep on their own.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Tomberforce posted:

Unrelated - as a PADI DM, do you guys think that there would be alot to be gained from taking the GUE fundamentals course? I'm pretty interested, but it's hard to find a GUE instructor in Perth where I live.

I help out on IANTD/NOB Tek light courses. I know the instructor and I am doing my IANTD DM course.

We had an GUE Cave diver doing an cross course for NOB Nitrox adv. funny I know but he just wanted to do it and be in line with his dive buddy's.
Anyway, I had to check his skills and be his buddy. See how he dived.

The way he did do the dive, and the signals the deco stops and using the stage botle. And being freaking flat not moving at all was pritty amazing to see.

In the end he and my instructor where reviewing me :)
It was for him also nice to see I could be flat stable and doing my deco stops good.

I think GUE is the best you can get there is not a bad instructor within GUE at this time.

For all the other organisations they are good but you need to find out if the instructors are still good.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Tomberforce posted:

For the last dive she went with another kid from the boat without much experience, but with a lot of confidence. Turns out that he had no concept of what a no decompression limit is and exceeded his by a fair margin. The DM was running Nitrox and he was on Air, and the nitrox diver got to within 10 mins of an NDL on a second 100ftish dive. He flat out ignored her when she told him to surface and went into the wreck again, then he had to be reminded to take a safety stop. She absolutely ripped him when they got back to the boat, and this kid had no idea what he had done wrong.

He's going to learn a fairly hard lesson if he keeps diving like that. I don't know what cert level he was, or which agency he trained with.

I am afraid you are going to be right on that one.
I would go for him probably. If he is not going into the deep. Just because I was like him once.

I can't remember not having decó dives on my holidays. We just did them.
We always respected the computer.
I did dived to 55m on air, and I once was at 30m with 30bars left. etc etc.

Why, because why not.....that's what I thought at that time.

Now, I know better. I am certified to do deco dives, and deep dives on air.
I made dive tables electronic with all kinds of deco maths in it. Now I know what is behind it.

And the funny thing is we never go deep anymore with deep I mean we go like 35m. max or so. But usual 20m.
We do a good planning before we enter wrecks what we never did.
Knowledge comes with age I think.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Bishop posted:

Somebody get IM FROM THE FUTURE to develop a non-lethal underwater spear gun so you could just spear and reel in dive buddies that are going dangrously deep on their own.

LOL I think with the physics involved anything fast and small enough to travel through the water quickly and with range would also hurt really bad.

A speargun has actually saved someones life before. Two guys were spearfishing and instead of doing 1 up 1 down dives they were doing 0 up 2 down which is dumb. So as they are both heading up after a deep dive and one of them looks away for a little bit, then he looks back over towards his buddy only to find him 25 feet down and unconscious. Having just finished a dive, there was no way he was making it to 25 to get his buddy. So he dove down a little bit and took a well places shot into the guys plastic fin. Hauled him up like a fish and woke him up.

I also went diving this weekend. Dove a bunch of different wrecks in 70' mostly broken down old wooden ones but a few really cool tugs and stuff. Also got various dinners for the next week. Checking out the pilot house on a tug freediving was really cool, I can imagine why penetrating wrecks is so fun.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Checking out the pilot house on a tug freediving was really cool, I can imagine why penetrating wrecks is so fun.

Yeah it's great fun.

I'm in a bit of certification limbo with wrecks now. Technically I haven't done the wreck speciality - but this weekend I DM'd on the course, and sat in on all the theory sessions, so I've done everything and got the experience - but I haven't paid PADI $500 and so haven't got the C-card.

I guess it's not going to make any material difference to my diving, but it'd be nice to know whether that experience would count if I wanted to do an advanced wreck course in the future, as I think I might. I'd rather not pay so much extra money to get experience I've already got!

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

LOL I think with the physics involved anything fast and small enough to travel through the water quickly and with range would also hurt really bad.
I said non-lethal, not painless! ;)

Tomberforce posted:

I'm in a bit of certification limbo with wrecks now. Technically I haven't done the wreck speciality - but this weekend I DM'd on the course, and sat in on all the theory sessions, so I've done everything and got the experience - but I haven't paid PADI $500 and so haven't got the C-card.
I don't have a single certification that says: "Bishop is a wreck diver", but I've done some very serious penetrations. In my opinion, adapt a lot of the techniques cave divers use. I think cave training has been well ahead of wreck training as far as technique goes. Learn the proper buoyancy control and fin kicks. Practice running line. Carry three lights and at least two line cutters. Learn how to get out in a zero vis environment. Silt outs WILL happen. You'll often open a door and -BOOM- your $1000+ light is worthless. Control panic and maintain your situational awareness. The moment "this dive might be in trouble" enters your mind, thumb it. Panic is a thing that cascades.

The main difference is a lot of wrecks are well out into the ocean, so you also have to deal with unpredictable current, hot drops, launching surface markers, drifting decompression, etc.

And on that note I'm doing the PADI Cavern class with Rockcity this weekend! Two goons enter a cave, hopefully two leave

Bishop fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 21, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Finch! posted:

I tried wet face and dry face - no tangible difference. I also cooled my face as much as I can with ~29 degree Celcius water, to no avail. I don't like that mask anyway :argh:

I get this problem too, but a friend showed me how to fix this. Just use a generous amount of saliva and then wash it off by splashing the mask as briefly as possible in the water. It took a few attempts, but now this technique consistently eliminates my fogging problems. Sometimes I get a little fog on the edges still

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Okay, I've tried rigging my speargun. I haven't crimped things together yet, let's check it out

Here's the loaded spear, the crimp and loop don't appear to be interfering with the loading mechanism. Nice and easy to attach/detach the spear into the gun

There's a tab here for keeping the line tucked away. Cool

Here's the line wrapped around the tab at the front of the gun

Here I wasn't quite sure whether I should wrap the line above or below tab before wrapping it around the line release. Leaving the line above the tab and then wrapping over the line release like this, and then bringing the line below the tab seemed to be the tidiest configuration, so that's what I went with. Seem good?

And then I brought the line back up to the bungee.

In this setup I have everything under some tension, which makes it difficult (but not impossible) to wrap the line around the line release.

Does this look approximately correct? This is my first time rigging a speargun, so I'd really like to learn how to do it correctly. If everything looks about right then I'll crimp it and take it into the water next weekend to practice loading

The gun also came with these things:

What are these? It came with 4 crimps and 2 of these little plastic loops, so since I only need 2 crimps I'm guessing I may need 1 of the plastic loops somewhere and the other is an extra?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Bishop posted:

I said non-lethal, not painless! ;)
I don't have a single certification that says: "Bishop is a wreck diver", but I've done some very serious penetrations. In my opinion, adapt a lot of the techniques cave divers use. I think cave training has been well ahead of wreck training as far as technique goes. Learn the proper buoyancy control and fin kicks. Practice running line. Carry three lights and at least two line cutters. Learn how to get out in a zero vis environment. Silt outs WILL happen. You'll often open a door and -BOOM- your $1000+ light is worthless. Control panic and maintain your situational awareness. The moment "this dive might be in trouble" enters your mind, thumb it. Panic is a thing that cascades.

The main difference is a lot of wrecks are well out into the ocean, so you also have to deal with unpredictable current, hot drops, launching surface markers, drifting decompression, etc.

And on that note I'm doing the PADI Cavern class with Rockcity this weekend! Two goons enter a cave, hopefully two leave

Solid advice Bishop, cheers. I wish I lived in a location where I could get cave training - the nearest is in South Australia, so about 1500 miles away!

I also think that I consciously experienced narcosis for the first time this weekend. At about 28 metres I was aware that my teeth felt numb - and at 31 metres I tried to test myself by transferring my torch lanyard from one wrist to the other and felt...weird. It was still fine and I was still very situationally aware, just concious that things didn't feel quite normal.

I've been to that depth before and not felt a thing, but I was feeling a bit seasick just before the dive, I don't know if that contributed to it. I went down to 28 metres penetrating again the next day and felt fine. I was diving 32 mix Nitrox on both dives.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Crunkjuice posted:

I can't tell you how much fun it is to mess with DMC's. Slicerdicer/Bishop, you should chime in with even more awesome questions
Hahaha forgot about this post. A "Simple" one is just to ask them to explain the Varying Permeability Model vs. the Bühlmann model and which one you might prefer depending on the type of diving you are doing. For extra fun ask em' to throw in what gradient factors would be best for a given dive. Diving nerd fights can be pretty fun.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Heh, as a DMC you've definitely given me some reading to do.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

Solid advice Bishop, cheers. I wish I lived in a location where I could get cave training - the nearest is in South Australia, so about 1500 miles away!

Use proper distance notation, and let the people who use wacky moon distances translate into their wacky moon distance.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Tomberforce posted:

Heh, as a DMC you've definitely given me some reading to do.

As a DM you should seriously not do any (additional) reading whatsoever beyond what is necessary for the course*. Diving does not need any more 'experts'. What it needs is guides and instructors who actually can help divers dive better.

Look at how you dive. Diving happens wet, and anything in a book is only just slightly related to diving.

Look at the last page where some diver with an instructor as a guide ignored NDLs. What sort of briefing (and, no, yelling at them afterwards on the boat does not count as a 'briefing') should the instructor have done to prevent the problem?

pupdive fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 24, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bishop posted:

Hell yes. I'm excited to say the least. I've been wanting to learn cavern for a while now, it's just never worked out with my instructor friend until now. I haven't done any freshwater since my certification so that will be interesting too. Plus I haven't done a spring either, so lots of new things for this weekend.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

pupdive posted:

What it needs is guides and instructors who actually can help divers dive better.

This is exactly what all the DMC's I mentioned did, and it was great. They were all super helpful and supportive. I'm really pleased with my air consumption on my second day of diving, I came up with 1100psi on both dives, as opposed to 400psi on both on the first dive (I was regularly communicating my air supply to my instructor so I don't consider that an overly bad thing in this case). Buoyancy still needs work, but at least I'm getting a bit better with trim.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

pupdive posted:

As a DM you should seriously not do any reading wahtsoever. Diving does not need any more 'experts'. What it needs is guides and instructors who actually can help divers dive better
But then how can I gently caress with dive instructors who went form OC to instuctor in a month? Other than that I agree completely.

rockcity posted:

Hell yes. I'm excited to say the least. I've been wanting to learn cavern for a while now, it's just never worked out with my instructor friend until now. I haven't done any freshwater since my certification so that will be interesting too. Plus I haven't done a spring either, so lots of new things for this weekend.
Yeah it should be a good time. I'm glad you guys let me impose on you. On the bright side, Bishop's Dive Boat Of Doom (TM) won't be involved this time so there is less chance I'll kill you on accident. :)

Bishop fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 22, 2013

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

pupdive posted:

As a DM you should seriously not do any reading wahtsoever. Diving does not need any more 'experts'. What it needs is guides and instructors who actually can help divers dive better.
Alright I thought about this post some more. I agree with the second sentence, but the first is poo poo.... Should I seriously just trust decompression tables because of magic? Should the concept of tissue compartments or whatever be taught only to hypobaric scientists? That's complete bullshit. I should know why and more importantly, how, all the nuances of decompression theory apply to me. Even basic open water divers should have a bit of a sense of how all of this works. Plus we were talking questions to stump DM candidates, who should absolutely know a fair amount of deco theory.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

pupdive posted:

Look at the last page where some diver with an instructor as a guide ignored NDLs. What sort of briefing (and, no, yelling at them afterwards on the boat does not count as a 'briefing') should the instructor have done to prevent the problem?

Yeah that was from a situation on our boat last weekend - the DM (not instructor) in question wasn't leading the dive, she was just on the boat fun diving and paired with the guy, who was apparently experienced and 'dived on the wreck all the time' as an 'insta-buddy'. If anything it was him leading the dive. She had no reason to believe that he wasn't competent and as it was not a formal guiding situation she didn't undertake a formal briefing (quite reasonably imo). It only became apparent that he didn't know what he was doing during the dive, at which point she tried to get him to ascend safely, but he ignored her.

Fundamentally that situation arose from the diver in question lacking even a rudimentary understanding of decompression obligations, and as such leading to a dangerous situation for both him and his buddy. I absolutely agree with you that theoretical knowledge is meaningless unless it's effectively translated into diving - but having a thorough grounding in diving physics and physiology doesn't at all detract from your practical in water ability, and can help you anticipate and respond to dangerous situations as or before they arise - which to my mind is the main role of a divemaster. I'll keep reading. :)

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Bishop posted:

Alright I thought about this post some more. I agree with the second sentence, but the first is poo poo.... Should I seriously just trust decompression tables because of magic? Should the concept of tissue compartments or whatever be taught only to hypobaric scientists? That's complete bullshit. I should know why and more importantly, how, all the nuances of decompression theory apply to me. Even basic open water divers should have a bit of a sense of how all of this works. Plus we were talking questions to stump DM candidates, who should absolutely know a fair amount of deco theory.

That is what was on my mind also. I wanted to know the background of the diving tables.
I mean how much tolerance is on them etc.

So, I started to figure this out from the start with the Bulhmann formula's. I made an graphical presentation of this formula.
You could put in your diving profile and it would show you the real decompression limits based on these formula's.

It came for me more or less as a surprise that even the padi tables are very close to these deco formulas there is not much contingency.

I thought when you were like just in deco from a table you were not in deco for real. But then I realized that you are always making a deco dive you are always accumulating nitrogen.

So when you tables and or diving computer tells you you are in deco you must not think you are not because of some kind of build in safety.

The 3min at 5m stop after each dive makes much more sense now also.

Orions Lord fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 22, 2013

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Okay, I've tried rigging my speargun. I haven't crimped things together yet, let's check it out

Here's the loaded spear, the crimp and loop don't appear to be interfering with the loading mechanism. Nice and easy to attach/detach the spear into the gun

There's a tab here for keeping the line tucked away. Cool

Here's the line wrapped around the tab at the front of the gun

Here I wasn't quite sure whether I should wrap the line above or below tab before wrapping it around the line release. Leaving the line above the tab and then wrapping over the line release like this, and then bringing the line below the tab seemed to be the tidiest configuration, so that's what I went with. Seem good?

And then I brought the line back up to the bungee.

In this setup I have everything under some tension, which makes it difficult (but not impossible) to wrap the line around the line release.

Does this look approximately correct? This is my first time rigging a speargun, so I'd really like to learn how to do it correctly. If everything looks about right then I'll crimp it and take it into the water next weekend to practice loading

The gun also came with these things:

What are these? It came with 4 crimps and 2 of these little plastic loops, so since I only need 2 crimps I'm guessing I may need 1 of the plastic loops somewhere and the other is an extra?

This isnt right. Lets talk via PM's and I can help you out on rigging it properly. Ill take some pictures to show you. Those 2 little black things go between the bands and the muzzle so the bands dont slide around inside it.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 23, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm looking for an adapter for a diving cylinder to socket that will accept a medical air plug like this. It's for a project.

Lot's of medical 02 cylinders have them on but i'm wondering if one exits to stick on a diving valve? Failing that anyone know the best way to get a diving cylinder to put out ~50psi

EDIT: sorted, now i just need a cylinder.

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 24, 2013

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Bishop posted:

Diving only happens in the water.

Reading about stuff does make it work any differently. An engineer is not in any sense a better driver than someone who cannot change a tire.

Some people think knowing some trivia about tissue compartments makes them know something about decompression, which then makes them a better dive. It does not make them a better diver, nor does it even helps them understand decompression; it merely lets them see the mathematical theory that built the tables. But the tables themselves are just lookup charts, and nothing more.

Lots of divers fancy themselves better divers because they have a smattering of knowledge about diving trivia. Give me a DM who never breaks trim but cannot even use tables, over a DM who will just start talking (and never shut up) about really anything to do with diving.

Actually the entire reason I never use DMs is just that: every DM thinks they have something useful to say, and never are particularly good divers, because they lose focus on the water. Their job is to role model; but the lesson most divers get from most DMs is that talking matters, and diving does not really.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

pupdive posted:

Diving only happens in the water.

Reading about stuff does make it work any differently. An engineer is not in any sense a better driver than someone who cannot change a tire.

Some people think knowing some trivia about tissue compartments makes them know something about decompression, which then makes them a better dive. It does not make them a better diver, nor does it even helps them understand decompression; it merely lets them see the mathematical theory that built the tables. But the tables themselves are just lookup charts, and nothing more.

Lots of divers fancy themselves better divers because they have a smattering of knowledge about diving trivia. Give me a DM who never breaks trim but cannot even use tables, over a DM who will just start talking (and never shut up) about really anything to do with diving.

Actually the entire reason I never use DMs is just that: every DM thinks they have something useful to say, and never are particularly good divers, because they lose focus on the water. Their job is to role model; but the lesson most divers get from most DMs is that talking matters, and diving does not really.

If you replaced DM with tech diver in that rant and i'd agree with you :dance:

We were just joking around on how to mess with DMC's. As part of curriculum they gotta learn some dive science and its fun to mess with them. As i take my DM'ing, i need to be able questions students answer. Basic dive theory, basic dive physiology, things that a student might worry about.

Divemasters also need a bit of a bravado when teaching. It sucks when they don't turn it off outside of the classroom, but there its necessary to a degree. A lot of people are really anxious about diving, even if they are excited. They worry, freak out, and all in all, need someone who's a cocky know it all to give them a sense of comfort. If I DM a class and say nothing, just interact with the students on a necessary basis and be quiet, i'm not doing my job. If i'm talking up stories of dive trips, experiences i've had, things i've seen, students are much more likely to be confident in me. In turn, they become more confident in what they are about to do.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
How long does the eLearning classroom component of PADI Open Water take generally? The site says 12-15 hours but I'm hoping that is a really high estimate. I'm considering trying to cram it in this weekend before we head to the resort on monday. My worry is I don't want to waste a huge chunk of time on vacation doing classroom work. Is it possible to do the theory after you do your open water dives or does that have to come first?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

whaam posted:

Is it possible to do the theory after you do your open water dives or does that have to come first?

I don't know about e-learning stuff much, but you ABSOLUTELY have to have the theory/bookwork done before your open water dives.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Yeah I know a guy that teaches an awesome PADI underwater photography course. I'd take it but thankfully I've pledged not to dabble in underwater photography because I'm burning enough money as it is. I can't think of what would make someone a great or terrible "boat diver" instructor though unless the person had never been on a boat.

BRB pouring one out for Wes.

I just wish his wife had used his legacy to show the need for training and understanding.. proper procedures instead of lawsuit.. It tarnishes his name beyond belief and creates great disdain given the events that unfolded.

Batman could do it.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

whaam posted:

How long does the eLearning classroom component of PADI Open Water take generally? The site says 12-15 hours but I'm hoping that is a really high estimate. I'm considering trying to cram it in this weekend before we head to the resort on monday. My worry is I don't want to waste a huge chunk of time on vacation doing classroom work. Is it possible to do the theory after you do your open water dives or does that have to come first?

It took me about 9 hours over three nights. Crunkjuice is right though, you really do need to know the stuff.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te5D62d3-S8

HERIUM DIVING!! This is not mine its two of my dive buddies.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

SlicerDicer posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazing!!!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Goddamn that is so loving cool.

I'd LOVE to see cetaceans while diving.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

whaam posted:

I crammed it in a weekend before I went and got my ticket.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Holy poo poo. That footage is loving amazing. I'm pretty sure I would poo poo myself in glee if I ever saw a pod of humpbacks just loving around while I was diving.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

MA-Horus posted:

Holy poo poo. That footage is loving amazing. I'm pretty sure I would poo poo myself in glee if I ever saw a pod of humpbacks just loving around while I was diving.

Glad you guys enjoyed I wish I could think of where to post it that more would see as it is truly unreal. Does anybody know where I could post it on SA without getting bant?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SlicerDicer posted:

This is an amazing video, those whales came so close!

(although I would probably freak the gently caress out if I saw those tiger sharks)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

SlicerDicer posted:

Oh my god that must have been unbelievably awesome.

Time to save up for a yellow box of death (rebreathers attract cetaceans right?)

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Oh my god that must have been unbelievably awesome.

Time to save up for a yellow box of death (rebreathers attract cetaceans right?)

Hah Yellow Box of Death... Deathy McDeath!

And yeah I wish I had seen it myself that looks so unreal and what the human eye saw had to be just UNREAL.

QuarkJets posted:

(although I would probably freak the gently caress out if I saw those tiger sharks)

Generally sharks are not that evil :)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Well, Bishop and I managed to not die in the caves in Northern, FL and are now newly cavern certified. I also finished my advanced certification on the trip as well. I have to say, I enjoyed cavern diving more than I thought I would. I'm still not sure I want to go full on cave diving (especially my wallet isn't sure), but this was a pretty good way to dip my toes in the water. I'm also fairly impressed with the Pirahna Black Star light I picked up for my main light, it was plenty capable in the cavern and even in the early stages of the actual caves. I'm not sure how it would handle it if it got really kicked up, but it cut through some mild silt pretty well. I did however realize that I am terrible with a reel. The only time I've ever been good on one was one without a crank when carrying a drift buoy.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

SlicerDicer posted:

He came back and brought his friends :).

Nice video really cool to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

rockcity posted:

Well, Bishop and I managed to not die in the caves in Northern, FL and are now newly cavern certified. I also finished my advanced certification on the trip as well. I have to say, I enjoyed cavern diving more than I thought I would. I'm still not sure I want to go full on cave diving (especially my wallet isn't sure), but this was a pretty good way to dip my toes in the water. I'm also fairly impressed with the Pirahna Black Star light I picked up for my main light, it was plenty capable in the cavern and even in the early stages of the actual caves. I'm not sure how it would handle it if it got really kicked up, but it cut through some mild silt pretty well. I did however realize that I am terrible with a reel. The only time I've ever been good on one was one without a crank when carrying a drift buoy.
Despite being pretty sick I still had a great time. I think we had a good class. Don't worry about the reel everyone fucks up running line underwater. I hosed up tying off on rocks. Turns out making ties on metal rods is much easier. I was also impressed with how much less sense being inside a cave makes than a wreck penetration. With wrecks, even broken up ones, you can normally find hallways and things that were designed for humans. Caverns/Caves are a diferent animal. We dove 5 (?) caves and it was pretty awesome. The first time we were allowed to go beyond the "STOP NOW OR YOU WILL DIE" sign without any instructor with us was pretty awesome. I'll probably have some more thoughts on this class later but I really enjoyed it.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 28, 2013