Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

bobkatt013 posted:

The best thing about that "movie" is that he is top billed and he is in it for maybe 20 minutes at the most.

Yeah but look at the cast. Even 1996 Hogan is the biggest name in it. Maybe Jim Varney, but he is really only a draw in Ernest movies.

edit: I am a dummy, I totally missed Victor Wong. Disregard this entire post!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

whatsabattle posted:

Yeah but look at the cast. Even 1996 Hogan is the biggest name in it. Maybe Jim Varney, but he is really only a draw in Ernest movies.

edit: I am a dummy, I totally missed Victor Wong. Disregard this entire post!!

Ya Victor Wong who had been in all the other ones and also Burt Reynolds ex.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's exactly right. That was the hair his character had in the seminal classic "3 Ninjas: High Noon At Mega Mountain".

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

He took off a wig in the movie after he finished his theme park show. Then got jumped or something.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

BillyMays posted:

He took off a wig in the movie after he finished his theme park show. Then got jumped or something.

Wig wasn't that insane. The kind of wig to make Hogan just not look bald. High Noon was 98.

ALSO HE GOT SHOT. IT WAS VERY FUNNY.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DAMMIT I WAS SO SURE. I have been owned :negative:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

SamuraiFoochs posted:

DAMMIT I WAS SO SURE. I have been owned :negative:

You get my sympy.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has Hogan ever starred in a movie which didn't suck massively?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I posted:

Rocky III, Gremlins II, Muppets From Space

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Frot Lesnar posted:

You get my sympy.

Well he don't get my sympy at all...

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

I posted:

The aforementioned Rocky III is probably both Hogan's best performance and the best movie Hogan's ever been in, and that's not really saying all that much; it's only the fifth best of the six Rocky movies.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Ya Victor Wong who had been in all the other ones and also Burt Reynolds ex.

Lookit this guy with his knowing about Three Ninjas!

Realistically in 1998 Jim Varney should have had top billing since by then Toy Story was a thing.

And just to remind us all what a mess 2000 WCW was...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Somebody on IMDB screwed up? I don't get it. How's that WCW's fault.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Somebody on IMDB screwed up? I don't get it. How's that WCW's fault.

If the concept of Hulk Hogan playing the part of Ric Flair doesn't sound like a WCW idea then I don't know what the hell actually does.

Here everyone go look at some WCW promo pictures.

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2013/01/the-best-and-very-very-worst-of-vintage-wcw-promo-photos-part-1

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2013/01/the-best-and-very-very-worst-of-vintage-wcw-promo-photos-part-2

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I posted:

Suburban Commando. I will stand by that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

whatsabattle posted:

If the concept of Hulk Hogan playing the part of Ric Flair doesn't sound like a WCW idea then I don't know what the hell actually does.

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2013/01/the-best-and-very-very-worst-of-vintage-wcw-promo-photos-part-1

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2013/01/the-best-and-very-very-worst-of-vintage-wcw-promo-photos-part-2

That is the most incredible source for short lived and aborted WCW gimmicks I have ever seen.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

whatsabattle posted:

I had no idea WCW had a Chyna knock-off named Asya. The more you know

Also, holy gently caress these WCW gimmicks are amazing. Who the gently caress is Wild Cat Willie.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

Also, holy gently caress these WCW gimmicks are amazing. Who the gently caress is Wild Cat Willie.
Asya was part of the Revolution, a group of separatist wrestlers. This led to an amazing sign that WCW didn't pull from the crowd and had to blur out on Thunder. You could read parts of it when it was only half on screen.

ASYA HAS HER OWN CUNTRY

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Asya was part of the Revolution, a group of separatist wrestlers. This led to an amazing sign that WCW didn't pull from the crowd and had to blur out on Thunder. You could read parts of it when it was only half on screen.

ASYA HAS HER OWN CUNTRY

Hulkamatt, please change the thread title to "WCW: ASYA HAS HER OWN CUNTRY" Thank you.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Information if anyone wants to track down a screencap.
Asya debuted in October 1999 and the stable fell apart in January.
The first Wednesday show was 1/12/2000 which would explain watching Thunder instead of Smackdown.

There is a chance it was actually WCW Saturday Night.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Gavok posted:

Suburban Commando. I will stand by that.

I loved Suburban Commando. It even has Christopher Lloyd. But I haven't seen it in ages.

Here's a fine gallery of WCW promo pics, With Leather most likely got theirs from a gallery like this one, although, right clicking is disabled. I couldn't just post one photo, because seeing this as a collection really puts things into perspective.

http://imageevent.com/publicgallery/mostrecent/wcwpromocollection000;jsessionid=mi64n46c15.eagle_s

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

MassRayPer posted:

That is the most incredible source for short lived and aborted WCW gimmicks I have ever seen.

The only one I couldn't vaguely recall at all was Basket Case. Don't remember that one even a little. Well that and the selection of Nitro Girls.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Paulocaust posted:

Who the gently caress is Wild Cat Willie.

He didn't wrestle, he was their mascot! He got the fans hyped up. Obviously.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Rodney the Piper posted:

He didn't wrestle, he was their mascot! He got the fans hyped up. Obviously.
More specifically, he told the wrestling-ignorant tourists at Disney who to cheer/boo for.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Was Suburban Commando the one where Undertaker had a role as the bad guy who never talked until the end, and then he had the voice of a 6 year old girl?

jeffersonlives posted:

The aforementioned Rocky III is probably both Hogan's best performance and the best movie Hogan's ever been in, and that's not really saying all that much; it's only the fifth best of the six Rocky movies.

It's the fourth best but that's cool you were only out by one.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Was Suburban Commando the one where Undertaker had a role as the bad guy who never talked until the end, and then he had the voice of a 6 year old girl?

That's the one.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Nilbop posted:

Yes. Also the one where Christopher Lloyd was fro-zen today.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Paulocaust posted:

The worst part was that she was worse than Chyna in almost every way - she was smaller, more roided, was somehow more unattractive, was a worse worker, had a worse roid voice, and was part of some really, really lovely angles.

Edit: I am floored these promo pictures managed to make Kimberly Page look unattractive.

Red fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 21, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
But she was a part of the best angle, Revolution vs Filthy Animals

Red
Apr 15, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I mean, I guess, but... wasn't she originally Flair's nurse in a really moronic storyline?

Also, looking at these pictures make me sad, because Mortis was amazing, and we never got a chance to see Kanyon revive it in WWE.

Edit: Looking through all these photos, one of the few people who escaped this era unscathed and still has a career is TEDDY LONG

Red fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 21, 2013

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Red posted:

I mean, I guess, but... wasn't she originally Flair's nurse in a really moronic storyline?

Also, looking at these pictures make me sad, because Mortis was amazing, and we never got a chance to see Kanyon revive it in WWE.

Edit: Looking through all these photos, one of the few people who escaped this era unscathed and still has a career is TEDDY LONG

:nms: If you haven't you really should get the James Mitchell shoot interview. He talks about how they used to use Mortis' stick for an unintended purpose that really annoyed Kanyon.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Here's what Asya looks like now, if you're curious.

http://i.imgur.com/UVdHoOt.jpg

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

How could I not be?

I expected her to be really normal looking.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I wish I knew the total number of times I heard the Revolution's knockoff of "The Beautiful People" theme song over the course of that feud because it's probably approaching 100. You would hear that and "FILTHY, DIRTY, NASTY, THAT'S THE WAY WE LIKE IT" a dozen times a show because they kept doing run ins.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

While the unmasking was indefensibly bad, Filthy Animals era Rey was very entertaining.
Buff wasn't even the best at looking like a giant toddler in overalls.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Not quite. I remember seeing her and Dale Torborg in a 'Where are they now?' type article somewhere, and I think she's toned it down.

A quick GIS finds this:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It took me a while to realise that Rey's left hand is overlapping Kidman's and that he doesn't just have a really weird set of long fingers :gonk:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Kidman totally did not belong in the Filthy Animals. It was actually funny how much he didn't belong.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I know it's been said many, many times before, but how they gently caress could even Russo think unmasking Rey was a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

I know it's been said many, many times before, but how they gently caress could even Russo think unmasking Rey was a good idea?

Bischoff wanted to unmask Rey. Russo probably would have thought it was a good idea too though. Bischoff didn't think he could connect with the crowd through the mask, and thought he'd be a bigger star without it.