Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

twinkle cave posted:

THUNDER DOME WEEK XXIV - TWINKLE CRIT
(lol... literally deus ex machina)

'Fun' fact: early drafts (me arranging the story in my head while at work, in the car, playing Borderlands 2, whatever) had an even more literal Ex Machina, using a jukebox with the soothing sounds of either of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwbGjzF3mB0 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEdqWZi13I; but I couldn't figure out a way to work it into the narrative.

And the wine/brewed thing was me knowing nothing about alcohol and not having wikipedia available at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
For those of you looking for another outlet to hone your l33t skillz, there has been an impromtu flash fiction festival in the Glenbeckistan thread. Sure, it's pretty much all genre fiction, but hey, words is words.

Also post next week's prompt so I can sign up and lose.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The altar has been lit.

PROMPT: I want stories of someone who tells the truth or doesn't tell the truth and gets What They Deserve. 500 to 1,500 words. You have a lot of room to work with this, so I want you to make it solid and strong. No finicky, watery bullshit. I want something you can read proudly without sounding like an rear end in a top hat.

SUBMIT BY: Sunday, Midnight, PST.

YOUR JUDGES THIS WEEK: Myself, who will verbally castigate weakness, ESB, who will browbeat you for idiocy, and SurreptitiousMuffin, who will cut you with his tongue for any gently caress ups that fall between weakness and idiocy.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?
In!

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Capntastic posted:

I want something you can read proudly without sounding like an rear end in a top hat.

Please, for once in your life.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
...In.

Goddamit I will write something decent one day or die trying.

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
In.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

In.

Will likely be writing through a hangover on Sunday, this should be good.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
If it wasn't obvious before, I am In.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So hey I'm back. That happened. And Capntastic won. That was a thing. Congratulations.

And I am totally in by the way.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dome me

JonasSalk
May 27, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am in.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
I'm in.

EDIT:

Also, thanks twinkle cave and budgieinspector for the critiques. You guys have both got crits coming your way whether you want them or not! I'd agree with both of your main criticisms, that my story reads like it's missing a page. I'm gonna put it through the ringer a few times and throw myself at some of those horror publications Budgie listed.

monkeyboydc fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 22, 2013

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
In, and I actually mean it this time instead of "In but I will drink for three nights straight instead of working."

Edit: good now I also have an av to work off.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Hello writers, I'm the new CC mod and I'd like to talk about Thunderdome-related issues.
The custom winner/loser titles are getting out of hand. You guys can have ONE style of winner avatar and ONE style of loser avatar. If you want to crown your own superwinners or ultralosers, pony up the :10bux: because I'm not going to run around with a bunch of foil-stamped limited edition cover variants.

NEXT: I WILL BE JUDGING YOU GUYS NEXT WEEK. Things are going to be done a little differently there, too. Please stay tuned for details.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I am In for this week.

budgieinspector posted:

Sitting Here -- "Mother's Day"

Another near-nod. NOTE TO NEWBS: Notice how the people who took every last second to submit turned in more solid results, on the whole? Whether it's because they took the extra time to polish their stories, or lingered over first-draft ideas, or scrapped everything and rewrote, or even if they didn't get around to it until the eleventh hour, but are just that badass--it's not a coincidence. Take as much goddamn time as you can get away with.

This story begs for third-person. The end reveal? Yeah, third-person. Rewrite and shop it.

Yeah this is of the "spend all week lovingly crafting a pile of poo poo then scrap the whole thing at 8PM Saturday night" variety. Sometimes you just have to delete days of work, get drunk, kick your significant other out of the room for a while, and blindly mash the keyboard in panic.

I am a strong believer in writing The Bad Version, and as budgieinspector says, you need time. Time to write the bad version, time to see that it IS the bad version, and then (a small amount of) time to write the hopefully-somewhat-decent version.

Congrats Capntastic! The best thing about Thunderdome is the people who fight their way up in the ranks and then earn victory. I agree that you wrote a worthy story, and am pleased to announce that the bar for getting any approval from your comrades is now higher!

Also to our newly appointed glorious beloved despot neonnoodle, be gentle with the Thunderdome :ohdear:

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Throwing in

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Sitting Here posted:

Also to our newly appointed glorious beloved despot neonnoodle, be gentle with the Thunderdome :ohdear:

neon, don't listen to this woman. Thunderdome likes it rough. :pervert:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

In again and will def get a submission out. (I'm halfway rewriting my original small town horror thing for last week and will put it up on the fiction farm)

Also congrats to Captntastic! Always great to see a happy outcome in Thunderdome :neckbeard:

E: oh gosh , thanks anonymous avatar purchaser, I really do appreciate it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
What's it, sixty bucks now?

Good gravy.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
In for this one!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

Hello writers, I'm the new CC mod and I'd like to talk about Thunderdome-related issues.
The custom winner/loser titles are getting out of hand. You guys can have ONE style of winner avatar and ONE style of loser avatar. If you want to crown your own superwinners or ultralosers, pony up the :10bux: because I'm not going to run around with a bunch of foil-stamped limited edition cover variants.

NEXT: I WILL BE JUDGING YOU GUYS NEXT WEEK. Things are going to be done a little differently there, too. Please stay tuned for details.
I was chatting with ESB about this and we decided that since the RESURGENT thing is going to be pretty rare, we were going to take the cost ourselves.

Ultraloser is a different kettle of fish though: there's only going to be more and more as time goes on. Should we scrap it and leave Chairchucker alone with the av?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
In again.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Let's do this.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I have to buy Capn' an avatar of his choice this time around. I toxxed it. I gotta man up and do it. If he wants to post the avatar, I'll buy it for him.

*Edit* poo poo, someone already got him one? You want Archives or something, Capn'?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I was doofing around in excel, and while I missed some weeks because I didn't feel like spending a lot of time formatting dumb lists.

But anyway, there have been well over 300 stories written and posted since Thunderdome started. And I think (since I missed about 4 weeks, maybe more of stories) over 100 unique writers. Pretty dang solid.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I was chatting with ESB about this and we decided that since the RESURGENT thing is going to be pretty rare, we were going to take the cost ourselves.

Ultraloser is a different kettle of fish though: there's only going to be more and more as time goes on. Should we scrap it and leave Chairchucker alone with the av?

Chairchucker is MY bottom bitch, please stop slobbering over his sweet Aussie rear end with your filthy Kiwi jowels. I bought him the Ultraloser avatar and there won't be any other ultralosers unless I say there will.

For the record, there have been no free unique avatars handed out here since I think Week 2 if even. The unique avs have all been bought by somebody.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Martello posted:

Chairchucker is MY bottom bitch, please stop slobbering over his sweet Aussie rear end with your filthy Kiwi jowels. I bought him the Ultraloser avatar and there won't be any other ultralosers unless I say there will.

For the record, there have been no free unique avatars handed out here since I think Week 2 if even. The unique avs have all been bought by somebody.
Didn't actually know that. I assumed Ultraloser = someone who has lost more than once and I asked neonoodle to throw Zack_Gochuck one. My bad. Sorry about that NN. :(

Who got Capn's new one?

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.
I'm in.

aquavelva
Jan 23, 2013
I'm in. Ready to lawyer.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

aquavelva posted:

I'm in. Ready to lawyer.

loving same-day reg stupid newbie idiot bitch fucker.

:frogout:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

aquavelva posted:

I'm in. Ready to lawyer.

There are no laws in the Thunderdome. What are you going to yer?

Also, V for Vegas, that crit is coming soon. I apologize.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Who got Capn's new one?

Neonnoodle did, as a gracious act of "get off my back you fuckers." Thanks Neonnoodle!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

*Edit* poo poo, someone already got him one? You want Archives or something, Capn'?

If future avatars are gonna come out of our pockets, hold onto it until someone deserves one.

aquavelva
Jan 23, 2013
Nice frog.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

aquavelva posted:

Nice frog.

You should be writing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

aquavelva posted:

I'm in. Ready to lawyer.

I'm a legal professional irl and would be happy to help :)

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm a baby bitch irl and would be happy to help :butt:

ftfy lol

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Didn't actually know that. I assumed Ultraloser = someone who has lost more than once

I 'earned' this avatar specifically for the previous horror prompt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I am in! No backing out, no surrender.

• Locked thread