Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Saw this on the way into work this morning.

Roof rack cross bars are so expensive, I'm just gonna whip up something using whatever 2x4s and u-bolts I have lying around the garage. Now that looks good!

drat, the wind really whistles under those things. I think I'll use this leftover expanding foam to plug the gaps. There! Fixed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Kill-9 posted:

Roof rack cross bars are so expensive, I'm just gonna whip up something using whatever 2x4s and u-bolts I have lying around the garage. Now that looks good!

drat, the wind really whistles under those things. I think I'll use this leftover expanding foam to plug the gaps. There! Fixed!

Says the guy with the jack on the front of his hood commuting.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Ahahaha at first glance I thought that was attached to the rear bumper of the car in front :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You should put it in a plastic case and troll people about how the aerodynamic improvement gives you higher MPG and better front-end bite in corners.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kill-9 posted:

Hey now, there's a long and time-honored tradition of building roof racks out of 2x4s. And you're drat right they whistle like hell, that's part of the charm.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Faerunner posted:

Says the guy with the jack on the front of his hood commuting.

Looks like it's properly attached to the bullbar, so I don't see a problem here.

Those jacks are incredibly useful (and dangerous), I don't go to the junkyard without one anymore.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

kastein posted:

Looks like it's properly attached to the bullbar, so I don't see a problem here.

Those jacks are incredibly useful (and dangerous), I don't go to the junkyard without one anymore.

Correct. It is properly mounted using purpose designed brackets. The pointy bit sticking out the front isn't too pedestrian friendly though. Also, it's too drat big to fit inside the truck at all.

A Hi-Lift is a must on a lifted truck on big tires as no portable scissor jack will even get near flexing the suspension enough to get a wheel off the ground.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just put the stock jack under the axle tube if I have to use one, though it does suck to get it in there sometimes.

I built big dumb 2x6" 1/4-wall steel box tube bumpers for my offroad truck, with plans of beveling the ends and capping them to look cool, but then realized that the prong on a high-lift fits perfectly into the end of the tube. So they aren't getting capped and now I have a very secure jacking point on each corner for my high-lift.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kastein posted:

I usually just go digging through cars until I find one. There is always at least one insanely dangerous 70-80s bumper jack somewhere.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Kill-9 posted:

The pointy bit sticking out the front isn't too pedestrian friendly though.

You need a way to prevent those pesky lawsuits :supaburn:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Kill-9 posted:

The pointy bit sticking out the front isn't too pedestrian friendly though.

Nothing about a bullbar or a jack attached to it is in any way pedestrian friendly, so you might as well cover it with spikes cause it ain't gonna make a difference anyway.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Nothing about a bullbar or a jack attached to it is in any way pedestrian friendly, so you might as well cover it with spikes cause it ain't gonna make a difference anyway.

Unless you want to look like a rolling jungle gym :v:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

kastein posted:

I just put the stock jack under the axle tube if I have to use one, though it does suck to get it in there sometimes.

I built big dumb 2x6" 1/4-wall steel box tube bumpers for my offroad truck, with plans of beveling the ends and capping them to look cool, but then realized that the prong on a high-lift fits perfectly into the end of the tube. So they aren't getting capped and now I have a very secure jacking point on each corner for my high-lift.

Getting a jack securely under the axle in an offroad situation can be a bit of an issue a lot of the time though. Especially if it's the slightest muddy. If I need to lift the front I use the brush guard jack points. From the side my rock sliders are more than beefy enough to lift the truck. From the rear I use the receiver.

I haven't done any real offroading in a year. I got the new engine in the Classic and haven't been out. Time to change that soon I think.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Devyl posted:

Here is the full story. That's why I will never trust a cage that isn't built by a professional. That's something you don't just put in yourself over the weekend. Unless you're a pro cage builder.

Sad truth mate - half the crap cages ARE built by professional cage makers. That Silva cage that we are all wincing at, that's either a copy or the original actual legit cage made by someone who should know better. poo poo cages come out of pro shops all the time.

Good cages arent about being built by a pro - it's about thinking about it and frankly that's what they dont do too often. A pro builder usually follows rules to the letter or customer instructions / bank balance. They arent sitting down and working out the forces involved or the materials that will suit the job best etc etc etc - an amateur in a garage who actually thinks about the process of buildign a cage will almost certainly come up with a design that works better (That's actually where a lot of innovations come from) and as long as the amateur's fabrications skills are sufficient, it'll be as good or better constructed.

It is a fuckton of work to do it right, a lot of research and planning. It's not something you you lightly, even if you send it to a good professional, who will sit down for a few hours and work out the best design if they are actually good even if they have templates and rules to work with. All that beign said, I would rather not do it all over again, it's truly a big, difficult, time consuming job. What I've seen of UF's fabrication skills, I'd rather just pony up an airfare, a tanker of DMD, a design and pay him 30 an hour cause gently caress that poo poo for a living.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

Sad truth mate - half the crap cages ARE built by professional cage makers. That Silva cage that we are all wincing at, that's either a copy or the original actual legit cage made by someone who should know better. poo poo cages come out of pro shops all the time.

Good cages arent about being built by a pro - it's about thinking about it and frankly that's what they dont do too often. A pro builder usually follows rules to the letter or customer instructions / bank balance. They arent sitting down and working out the forces involved or the materials that will suit the job best etc etc etc - an amateur in a garage who actually thinks about the process of buildign a cage will almost certainly come up with a design that works better (That's actually where a lot of innovations come from) and as long as the amateur's fabrications skills are sufficient, it'll be as good or better constructed.

It is a fuckton of work to do it right, a lot of research and planning. It's not something you you lightly, even if you send it to a good professional, who will sit down for a few hours and work out the best design if they are actually good even if they have templates and rules to work with. All that beign said, I would rather not do it all over again, it's truly a big, difficult, time consuming job. What I've seen of UF's fabrication skills, I'd rather just pony up an airfare, a tanker of DMD, a design and pay him 30 an hour cause gently caress that poo poo for a living.

Ahaha. Here I was thinking how would you get the cage back. I see, bring UF over here. He'd probably make a killing. Actually no probably about it. So many "pros" here do horribly poo poo jobs. If I knew someone around that could do a good job of not loving up a task I'd throw my money at them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

General_Failure posted:

Ahaha. Here I was thinking how would you get the cage back. I see, bring UF over here. He'd probably make a killing. Actually no probably about it. So many "pros" here do horribly poo poo jobs. If I knew someone around that could do a good job of not loving up a task I'd throw my money at them.

There'as literally two workshops in Sydney I trust to do a job - SWR in Windsor and RallyEquip in OPendle Hill. Every other fuckign workshop has ballsed up the car I've bought into it and I've had to spend more time fixing their fuckups than it saved getting someone else to do the work.

Case in question Pulse Racing dynoed what was my car - I had them do other work. They hosed up the stuts, the suspension AND remounting the turbo - they literally didnt put in the crush washers on the banjo bolts. Guess what happened at the next event? Oil on the exhaust headers. Good thing there was a hose or I'd have one less Subaru at the time. That's seriously basic poo poo that's easy to get right that they utterly failed on.

Or how about having a diff go to pieces because a) some one in Canberra didnt put in a driveshaft clip AND b) didnt put a filter on the diff breather? Dirt in the LSD plates AND a driveshaft fell out!

Frankly gently caress the lot of them. When you pay money you expect a job done right, not a amateur hackfest.

In Canberra I've heard good things about TechWorks (Michael Harding) and the dealings we have had with him have been good. So literally I'm going to take any car I don't have time for 300 kms because no one else in Sydney can do a Subaru to the kind of professional job I expect.

Now if that isnt terrible car stuff, I dont know what is.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

You mean second pinion? Yeah, it'd rotate the opposite direction from the first - but presumably this would be paired with a reverse-rotation tandem axle.

Guess I wasn't thinking. I meant the ring gear in the other axle, but my dumb rear end was picturing two standard differentials coupled together. I didn't even think about a reverse-rotation axle being the obvious answer to my question. I was half right, but totally off-track (:v:) I guess. Shows how much I love dealing with gearboxes.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

There'as literally two workshops in Sydney I trust to do a job - SWR in Windsor and RallyEquip in OPendle Hill. Every other fuckign workshop has ballsed up the car I've bought into it and I've had to spend more time fixing their fuckups than it saved getting someone else to do the work.

Case in question Pulse Racing dynoed what was my car - I had them do other work. They hosed up the stuts, the suspension AND remounting the turbo - they literally didnt put in the crush washers on the banjo bolts. Guess what happened at the next event? Oil on the exhaust headers. Good thing there was a hose or I'd have one less Subaru at the time. That's seriously basic poo poo that's easy to get right that they utterly failed on.

Or how about having a diff go to pieces because a) some one in Canberra didnt put in a driveshaft clip AND b) didnt put a filter on the diff breather? Dirt in the LSD plates AND a driveshaft fell out!

Frankly gently caress the lot of them. When you pay money you expect a job done right, not a amateur hackfest.

In Canberra I've heard good things about TechWorks (Michael Harding) and the dealings we have had with him have been good. So literally I'm going to take any car I don't have time for 300 kms because no one else in Sydney can do a Subaru to the kind of professional job I expect.

Now if that isnt terrible car stuff, I dont know what is.

Quoting in whole because I agree wholeheartedly.

When I was helping out the person that runs the local rural / commercial / motorbike / whatever store with ADRs and AS compliance on a motorcycle he was modifying he told me about someone in Deniliquin that does top notch work and exports custom stuff to the U.S.
That's good to know and I might have to ask him again who it is. He even showed me his website but damned if I can remember it. A good fabricator is worth his / her weight in gold.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Not the worst thing I've seen on the road, but pretty nasty anyway.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

That looks like plastidip. That poo poo is become an epidemic around here. You mean I can be ricey as hell, spraypaint ANYTHING, and shrug off "haters" because I can just peel it off?

:suicide:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Pretty sure it's duplicolor metalcast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Carteret posted:

That looks like plastidip. That poo poo is become an epidemic around here. You mean I can be ricey as hell, spraypaint ANYTHING, and shrug off "haters" because I can just peel it off?

:suicide:

That looks nothing like Plastidip.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Kill-9 posted:

We used my buddies GF's car to go on a camping trip last summer, to save space in the car, we built a similar roof rack. Worked out great.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Rhyno posted:

That looks nothing like Plastidip.

^plasti-dip.
If it was done as a really lovely light coat on silver wheels, it could look like that. Not saying it was, but I've seen pink plastidip'd wheels around here that look very similar.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's metalcast, which is cheaper and if you don't do it right it looks exactly like those wheels (been there, done that...not on loving wheels though).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Carteret posted:

^plasti-dip.
If it was done as a really lovely light coat on silver wheels, it could look like that. Not saying it was, but I've seen pink plastidip'd wheels around here that look very similar.

I've dipped 3 sets of wheels and a poo poo load of other things in the last two years. The wheels in the earlier post are clearly spray paint.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm having a problem wrapping my brain around this picture. Took the time to mask the brakes so they could spray the wheels when mounted....? Why not just simply... I dunno... spray the wheels away from the car?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm having a problem wrapping my brain around this picture. Took the time to mask the brakes so they could spray the wheels when mounted....? Why not just simply... I dunno... spray the wheels away from the car?

You don't spray paint your wheels that color and in that manner because you are smart.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Doesn't look like they took the time to mask the tires or fender, either. Yay overspray!

e: I'm diggin' that big dent in the rim? slice in the tire? at around 5 o'clock, too

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're at it again.

NSFW Ads http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic529891.html

We should send these guys a pile of rusted out muscle cars, give them something productive to do with their skills rather than spending thousands of man hours fixing $8,000 hyundais

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Google Translate version of that page is blowing my mind.

quote:

Cross truck hit while trying to turn. Machine is not cool.

quote:

The right-hand side just a little bit of custom, that gave us hope and restore the banana

quote:

The back of the threshold generally boiled

quote:

A skeleton car fill up on the stand
and tries to fix it there ...

quote:

Sufficient at the rear spar and remove the taste of banana on

quote:

Now, with a horrible screeching drag balances sex

quote:

Hands reach for the grinder again, she screams a while now and there is no roof in Tucson

It's like a beautiful dadaist poem.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Powershift posted:

They're at it again.

NSFW Ads http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic529891.html

We should send these guys a pile of rusted out muscle cars, give them something productive to do with their skills rather than spending thousands of man hours fixing $8,000 hyundais

:smithcloud:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

That is NOT plasti-dip. That is spray paint. And Godholio is right. It's the Metalcast finish spray paint. The person was trying to achieve the same color as Work Meister S1's in their now-discontinued anodized blue finish.

Picture for reference as to what they probably looked like in his mind:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mot sure what's wrong there - that's decent work.

It must be a hobby or something. Very good quality work fixing newish shitboxes doesnt gel to me.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The Livejournal post has more pictures. I like how the replacement roof is also hosed up, just in a way that's easier to hide:

It's the automotive equivalent of eating every part of the animal, or something. I like to think you can't get away with this sort of thing in the States.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

SierraEchoBravo posted:

What for? That's the worst school-spirit day I've ever heard of. My college is ripping up all its parking lots to put in new dorms I think there will be a total of no more than 20 spaces on campus. The school has an off-site parking lot that the faculty and students will have to use but its more than 2 miles away from campus. There is a shuttle service, but its unreliable enough to get annoying quick. That picture baffles me.

do you go to the university of no opportunity?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

otaku69 posted:

do you go to the university of no opportunity?

I'd call it normal. My school had enough parking on-site for faculty and about 20% of the student body.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Needs sirens.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3119622/2004-saturn-ion/page-2/#31196220010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Godholio posted:

I'd call it normal. My school had enough parking on-site for faculty and about 20% of the student body.

Same here. :smith: