Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

wa27 posted:

Yeah, me too. Chrome really struggles with lots of images and it sucks.

The problem is that they're thumbnailed images that are huge as hell in their original size.

Edit: A new page, no more crawling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
So I have some questions about the XRGB-mini. If I bought it, I still then need to buy a switcher as well, is that correct? And I need to buy custom cables from that ebay guy for each console? Or just for some? Or just if I'm using the switch?

Would I even be able to use it with a 2600, since it only (I think?) outputs via coax?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Dear Retro Goons, tomorrow I break the 200th RPG mark. Revel in my quest of madness.

I decided to count my RPGs after seeing your post. I have 170 of them. I don't think I've finished even a quarter of them. :negative:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I love RPGs in theory, I just don't have the time to beat them anymore. I miss being a teenager and somehow having the time to play through FF7 multiple times

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I love RPGs in theory, I just don't have the time to beat them anymore. I miss being a teenager and somehow having the time to play through FF7 multiple times

I have been playing Persona 3 FES for like two months or more now I will never be finished oh god :negative:

[it owns, oh god it owns, but it's so god drat long]

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Finagle posted:

So I have some questions about the XRGB-mini. If I bought it, I still then need to buy a switcher as well, is that correct? And I need to buy custom cables from that ebay guy for each console? Or just for some? Or just if I'm using the switch?

Would I even be able to use it with a 2600, since it only (I think?) outputs via coax?

Yeah you'd need to buy a switcher. There's two really good ones available on eBay. Most are junk though, so be careful.

You don't need to buy "custom" cables for each console; legit RGB cables did in fact exist for some systems like the SNES and Gamecube. However, you are pretty much going to want to buy European SCART cables, as Japanese SCART cables are wired completely differently. :psyduck:

Because of that, you will need the Euro SCART adapter for the XRGB Mini, and not even use the one included in the box.

The 2600 can be modded for s-video, so definitely do that. I personally love how the 2600 can be s-video modded but the NES can't.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Code Jockey posted:

I have been playing Persona 3 FES for like two months or more now I will never be finished oh god :negative:

[it owns, oh god it owns, but it's so god drat long]

I played P3 on the PSP and I got about... around a hour of playtime a day by playing it while waiting for the bus/riding the bus and it took me like 3 months before I was done with most of the content in the game.

I can sorta understand why RPGs seem to be moving to portables now. If you were in Japan, you could probably rack up some great playtime from the train rides.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ineffiable posted:

I played P3 on the PSP and I got about... around a hour of playtime a day by playing it while waiting for the bus/riding the bus and it took me like 3 months before I was done with most of the content in the game.

I can sorta understand why RPGs seem to be moving to portables now. If you were in Japan, you could probably rack up some great playtime from the train rides.

Yeah, I've been playing an hour or two a day [and more on the weekends, wife was gone last weekend and I think I played... I don't even want to admit how much] and I still have so much to do [fighting October 4th boss right now].

I initially didn't like the idea of RPGs going mobile [rah rah I hate change etc], but... jesus, I get it now. I want to play Persona 4 as soon as I beat P3FES, but... I think I'mma buy a Vita. I have way more time idling during the day waiting for things than I have in the evenings with my PS2/PS3.

e. Part of my problem with P3 is that I am being a completionist, and grinding all of Elizabeth's requests, and some of them take time because of rare encounters/drops, some of my evenings have been "load save game in Tartarus, fight poo poo for an hour, save game, go to bed" and repeat the next day. And I still love it.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 22, 2013

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The 2600 can be modded for s-video, so definitely do that. I personally love how the 2600 can be s-video modded but the NES can't.

I looked in the OP, and on the wiki, but I don't see anything about that. Is there a guide? I found a link to this guy (http://longhornengineer.com/projects/atari-av-mods/) but he doesn't seem to sell the kits anymore.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found what I need. Now to just relearn how to solder/make PCBs. God, this thread is dangerous.

Finagle fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 22, 2013

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ineffiable posted:

Absolutely. And it's why I do most of my gaming in general on portables. Being able to grind levels on the couch while a baseball game is on is one of life's great pleasures.

Back to retro games, I finally put some time into U.N Squadron, one of my sargss gifts. It's really good, but drat does it start kind of slow and hard. You're ship is worthless when you boot the game up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, I've been playing an hour or two a day [and more on the weekends, wife was gone last weekend and I think I played... I don't even want to admit how much] and I still have so much to do [fighting October 4th boss right now].

I initially didn't like the idea of RPGs going mobile [rah rah I hate change etc], but... jesus, I get it now. I want to play Persona 4 as soon as I beat P3FES, but... I think I'mma buy a Vita. I have way more time idling during the day waiting for things than I have in the evenings with my PS2/PS3.

e. Part of my problem with P3 is that I am being a completionist, and grinding all of Elizabeth's requests, and some of them take time because of rare encounters/drops, some of my evenings have been "load save game in Tartarus, fight poo poo for an hour, save game, go to bed" and repeat the next day. And I still love it.

I know what you mean. I'll probably get a Vita once we have a sale this year, and grab Persona 4. And in my heart, I'm lobbying for P5 to get a release on the vita as well.

Anyone remember Kingdom Hearts? Popular PS2 disney rpg. Well, there's a game for it on the Nintendo 3DS, and it looks as good as the original PS2 game. Controls almost as good too. The upside is I can turn on my 3DS anywhere, and do something for 30 mins, save and turn it off. I don't feel like I'm losing anything by playing it on the go vs. a home console.

RPGs are a genre that has turned into 'must play on the go' because I will struggle to make it through the story mode otherwise. I haven't even beat Xenoblade yet and I have a copy of Ni No Kuni on it's way to me right now.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Doing a Quintet "soul trilogy" run at the moment. I forgot how refined and self-contained, in a way, Soul Blazer was. No excess, fun fighting and nearly no grinding required. It'd make a good iOS game.

Did it really never make it to Virtual Console either?

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 22, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Soul Blazer is a pretty great little game. I always found it very rewarding to watch the town come back bit by bit. :3:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

triplexpac posted:

I am the exact same way! As a teenager I could switch back and forth between FF8 and whatever other RPGs seamlessly. Nowadays, it takes careful planning days in advance to setup a few hours to play one, let alone one that I've never played before. I've been trying for eons to get into 7th Saga but being an adult sucks at times.

On that note though, this adult totally just got TMNT Hyperstone Heist for the Genesis for $12!

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Doing a Quintet "soul trilogy" run at the moment. I forgot how refined and self-contained, in a way, Soul Blazer was. No excess, fun fighting and nearly no grinding required. It'd make a good iOS game.

Yeah, I liked Soul Blader (SFC)--I have no idea why they had to rename it for overseas.

A couple years after SB, and two months after Illusion of Gaia, Enix inexplicably released Brain Lord, which was a very similar action RPG. I think BL got lost in the shuffle there, being so similar in game style as the slicker and more hyped IoG.

Considering how SqEnix's released weaker stuff like Treasure Hunter G, Mystic Quest, and Front Mission Gun Hazard on VC in Japan, I don't see why they don't release their SFC action RPG titles.

Also, looking up old SFC titles, I was astounded by the insane retail prices of 8,000 yen and up (new at the time, not now). What with the exchange rate fluctuations and all, we're talking games costing well north of a hundred bucks new at times.
So, having bought my games new at those prices back then, I don't feel all that compelled to sell anything, since the vast majority of pristine CIB stuff I have will fetch pennies ~ nickels on the dollar.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I believe a lot of the Genesis issues are resolved by changing the sync pin. Are you savvy enough to try doing this?

Maybe? On the console side or the cable side?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
This is kinda retro gaming related - I just (finally) got a copy of final fantasy anthology, and have been playing through final fantasy V because the job system is my favorite alternate advancement system from any final fantasy game (materia was pretty cool I guess, but don't even get me started on the abomination that was leveling in ffx.)

Anyway, having a strange problem - about 75% of the time when I bring up the save screen, it's a garbled mess. I can exit it, go back to the main menu (which at this point has also become a garbled mess) and make my way back into the save screen, and it will be fine. Sometimes I need to do this twice for the save screen to be readable. The menu is still garbled when I exit the save screen, but I can exit back to the game and reopen it And it will be back to normal.

This is on a fat ps2, with 3rd party ps1 memory cards. I don't think the cards have any effect though since the play station doesn't even read them until you select a slot.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Tyson Tomko posted:

I am the exact same way! As a teenager I could switch back and forth between FF8 and whatever other RPGs seamlessly. Nowadays, it takes careful planning days in advance to setup a few hours to play one, let alone one that I've never played before. I've been trying for eons to get into 7th Saga but being an adult sucks at times.

On that note though, this adult totally just got TMNT Hyperstone Heist for the Genesis for $12!

I still have RPG ADD just like I did as a teenager. I think right now I am playing: DQ8 (haven't touched it in 6 months), Earthbound, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Persona 4, The World Ends With You, Pokemon White, and I just started a Mother 3 save last night...

What happens is I'll get stuck somewhere I don't want to grind and start a new one. I don't have time for 1 let alone 8! Stop it Quidnose :(

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
If you haven't beaten Earthbound yet, don't play Mother 3 :colbert:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

triplexpac posted:

If you haven't beaten Earthbound yet, don't play Mother 3 :colbert:

I beat it when I was 12 and don't remember the end of the game at all. :v:

I think I'm getting pretty close, though!

EDIT: It's funny because I remember BEATING Earthbound. I brought it over to a friends house and beat the last boss with him watching me. I remember fighting the last boss. I don't remember anything else.

EDIT2: I do remember going "oh uh I guess I just beat the game" since I fired it up to show the game to him and 20 minutes later I was done, bahaha.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Brillo_Pad posted:

This is kinda retro gaming related - I just (finally) got a copy of final fantasy anthology, and have been playing through final fantasy V because the job system is my favorite alternate advancement system from any final fantasy game (materia was pretty cool I guess, but don't even get me started on the abomination that was leveling in ffx.)

Anyway, having a strange problem - about 75% of the time when I bring up the save screen, it's a garbled mess. I can exit it, go back to the main menu (which at this point has also become a garbled mess) and make my way back into the save screen, and it will be fine. Sometimes I need to do this twice for the save screen to be readable. The menu is still garbled when I exit the save screen, but I can exit back to the game and reopen it And it will be back to normal.

This is on a fat ps2, with 3rd party ps1 memory cards. I don't think the cards have any effect though since the play station doesn't even read them until you select a slot.

FFV is one of the 10 or so games that don't work 100% properly on anything other than a PSX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Something came in the mail today...

Why it's a Nintendo Power SFC flash cart from Japan! People in Japan could purchase these and take them to kiosks to have them flashed with various games. It has 7 slots 4mbit each and games would take up certain amounts. There was also some exclusives that you could only get on the kiosk such as a Fire Emblem game, some majong games aaaaaand

Derby Stallion 98! A lovely horse sim because Japan loves horse racing.

I had hoped to get this, rip the roms off it and perhaps see if I could add the other exclusives to this cartridge, unfortunately I can't seem to find a data sheet on the rom although I should theoretically be able to flash them as the GQ-4X does support 29F160 chips

Edit: something interesting to the design of this cartridge I haven't seen in others:

There is a pin inside the case that makes contact with this large copper pad which likely was used in some way with the flash kiosks as they likely needed more grounding for the flashing process.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 22, 2013

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I'm not sure if it is nostalgia or what, but I always found the Anthology release of FFV vastly inferior in every way to the translation hack I played on ZSNES on my first computer.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Dross posted:

FFV is one of the 10 or so games that don't work 100% properly on anything other than a PSX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

I had a feeling it might be something like this. Thanks. Guess it's time to haul out my old PSX.

StellarX posted:

I'm not sure if it is nostalgia or what, but I always found the Anthology release of FFV vastly inferior in every way to the translation hack I played on ZSNES on my first computer.
It doesn't really FEEL the same as the translation hack (played on SNES9x in my case), but I've been powering through it regardless since I don't want to play it on an emulator. Some of the translation differences are just stupid though - Mystic Knight is a lot more descriptive than Sorcerer, and why they would change Ranger to Hunter is beyond me.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

StellarX posted:

You just prefer Butz

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Finally snapped the tabs off the inside of our SNES. It truly is the easiest mod ever -- I mean I knew it would be but dang, I
should've done it way sooner. And now we're obsessed with Super Gussun Oyoyo. Going to build a better SFC library now, starting with a 1-yen copy of Chrono Trigger. I've beaten it several times but never seen the original so I'm looking forward to seeing what subtle differences there are in the script (I've played the DS version more times than the SNES one). Also got Mother 2 for 600 yen. Japanese retro collecting sure is easier on the wallet.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 22, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Quidnose posted:

I still have RPG ADD just like I did as a teenager. I think right now I am playing: DQ8 (haven't touched it in 6 months), Earthbound, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Persona 4, The World Ends With You, Pokemon White, and I just started a Mother 3 save last night...

What happens is I'll get stuck somewhere I don't want to grind and start a new one. I don't have time for 1 let alone 8! Stop it Quidnose :(

hahah I do this too. It's not a big deal when it's with a game like, I dunno, Super Monkey Ball or something, but yeah it sucks when I do this with RPGs :(

Haven't sat down and beat an RPG since I was a teen; probably because if I was spending a week's paycheck as a stock boy, I'd force myself to play a game, but also I had way less of a selection.

I got like 75% of the way through Mother 3. Still so mad at myself for that because I'm going to have to start over.

Brillo_Pad posted:

I saw your question was already answered but something that's interesting is that most, if not all of the PS1 games that give the PS2 a problem also give my launch PS3 a problem.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zenintrude posted:

You just prefer Butz

I love Butz.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
That is interesting, and also interesting that the slim ps2 has the most compatibility issues out of them all. I'm sure in that case it's because of hardware limitations, but it seems like a step backwards.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

zenintrude posted:

You just prefer Butz

Always been a Butz man m'self

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Brillo_Pad posted:

That is interesting, and also interesting that the slim ps2 has the most compatibility issues out of them all. I'm sure in that case it's because of hardware limitations, but it seems like a step backwards.

FFV must have gotten "ported" to the PSX in such a hackneyed way which is the cause of the abysmal loading and compatibility problems. I wonder how the hell it's actually running on the PS1? Because it sure as hell wasn't ported in the normal sense of the term. Don't forget that there's a file on the Chrono Trigger for PS1 disc that if you rename it from CT.BIN to whatever.smc it will work in any SNES emulator.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
Wow. Maybe some kind of kludgy emulator slipstreamed onto the disc? I'm sure even the original psx was beefy enough for shoddy snes emulation.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Lunaris posted:

So I stopped at Goodwill today, and they had a fairly beat up NES for 3.99. I ripped it open and replaced the 72 pin connector, and it worked fine. So then I got to thinking that, y'know, I already have a working NES, why not do something crazy? So here I am, asking my fellow retro goons what I should put the insides of this NES into. I have a busted Virtual Boy that I thought would be neat, but there just isn't room, and I thought about a NES Toaster, but I'm not convinced. Does anyone have a crazy idea of what I should gut and make into an NES? The board and all necessary pieces aren't all that big, so I'm sure there's something neat I could transplant it into. On the flip side, what can I use this now empty NES shell for? It is unfortunately missing the lid to close it, but other than that it's in good shape.

Put it in a fishtank.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FFV must have gotten "ported" to the PSX in such a hackneyed way which is the cause of the abysmal loading and compatibility problems. I wonder how the hell it's actually running on the PS1? Because it sure as hell wasn't ported in the normal sense of the term. Don't forget that there's a file on the Chrono Trigger for PS1 disc that if you rename it from CT.BIN to whatever.smc it will work in any SNES emulator.

Honestly that's probably the case. The Anthology ports were done by the TOSE clowns. Hell, CT's English release has the English text ASM-patched onto the game as it runs. It's a disgusting mess, really.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Lunaris posted:

So I stopped at Goodwill today, and they had a fairly beat up NES for 3.99. I ripped it open and replaced the 72 pin connector, and it worked fine. So then I got to thinking that, y'know, I already have a working NES, why not do something crazy? So here I am, asking my fellow retro goons what I should put the insides of this NES into. I have a busted Virtual Boy that I thought would be neat, but there just isn't room, and I thought about a NES Toaster, but I'm not convinced. Does anyone have a crazy idea of what I should gut and make into an NES? The board and all necessary pieces aren't all that big, so I'm sure there's something neat I could transplant it into. On the flip side, what can I use this now empty NES shell for? It is unfortunately missing the lid to close it, but other than that it's in good shape.

We all know how this will end: someone is gonna lose a fingat.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

It's not.

So to put it simply, Chrono Trigger for the PSX actually had the SNES ROM on there solely for grabbing game data as well as the music itself. A whole new software base had to be written for the PSX release but was written to pull data from the already existing game. The one thing about the Playstation and the SNES we have here is that the sound chip on the SNES and PSX are very much the same, so the music was kept.

For fun, go find a Japanese release of the Chrono Trigger PSX game and then grab a US release and you'll see that the ROMs are also different with regards to its licence. :)

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
Keep posting interesting things about snes games ported to other systems guys this is fascinating to me

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I got my super everdrive in the mail the other day, and its awesome. Mostly.

I'm getting some really weird glitches, and I'm not sure if it is because of the SD card, the ROMs (doubt it), the everdrive itself, or the SNES. Stuff like Jaki Crush - when I use tilt, the game basically just stops working - everything moves normally, except the ball. The ball only moves as I tilt the table, and doesnt interact with the flippers. Another weird one is Actraiser - after I beat the Fillmore boss my name changes to random letters and I get vertical bars across the top of the screen. This happens in both the original and the translated Japanese version (on that note, man the J version is a lot harder). There are other oddities and glitches as well I'm wondering if anyone else who has one has experienced anything like this.

Another thing to note is that the SNES seems to have something rattling around in it. Not sure if that could contribute. I can't open it until the gamebits I ordered show up, so not sure what's in there. One game I have (LttP) also glitches out, but I always figured that was the cart.

Also posting on the everdrive forums, but thought I'd ask here too.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
This is why collecting is useless in this town:

So here's a craigslist ad from the rear end in a top hat cosignment company. Look at Ninja Gaiden Trilogy. Note the price and the markings.
http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/vgm/3563407990.html

Here's the donor carts I purchased from the local used game store:

It's their cataloging system they use to track cartridges. Let's see how much he paid for that game:

gently caress this town, I'm just going to get copiers for each system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

It's even worse than that actually. All the FF4-6 along with CT are actually the Japanese roms being emulated and translated on the fly with a script. Problem is there's so little memory on the psx it's constantly flushing and loading portions of the rom as you play which is why it has such lovely load times. It's so inefficient, lazy and a pile of garbage.

• Locked thread