Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Ting also allows you to set arbitrary alarms for usage (e.g. "email me at 400MB, SMS me at 500MB"), and if you're in charge of the account, you can turn off line features per-device. If he's strict about his budget he can, for example, set an alarm to SMS him when his account reaches 900MB of data usage accumulative over all his devices, then log-in to the Ting dashboard, see who's using the data, and then turn data off at the Sprint level for the offender. (won't matter what the phone settings are) It's not real-time for reporting or flipping features on/off but we've tried to get it as close to real-time as we can. (e.g. if someone powers through 3GB over LTE really quickly, he'll get the alert too late to do anything, and it's up to Sprint to turn line features like data and voicemail on/off so we have no SLA on those)

CampingCarl: I work for Ting (until the end of next week anyway) so let me know if there's anything I can do to ease your transition. I can also toss you a $50 coupon off your first device if you'd like. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have a family member who is vaguely considering the possibility of incurring over $1300 in ETFs from an 8-month old Sprint contract on 5 lines to bring them to Ting in February. Doing my best to temper this with "They might run out of money and then you'll be on the hook for those fees, even though you'd be paying close to $120 less monthly and it would be made up over the course of the year" but I think her main issue is that Sprint has no ETA on LTE arriving in Omaha and she's becoming increasingly disappointed in the slower-and-slower 3G speeds. On the other hand, paying less might make it more tolerable.

Stick100 posted:

I might be interested in that trade sometime in the short future.

That's awesome. I may be shifting off Sprint in the near future as I find I used almost 400MB of roaming data this month so they may not want me around so much.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 21, 2013

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The Entire Universe posted:

I have a family member who is vaguely considering the possibility of incurring over $1300 in ETFs from an 8-month old Sprint contract on 5 lines to bring them to Ting in February. Doing my best to temper this with "They might run out of money and then you'll be on the hook for those fees, even though you'd be paying close to $120 less monthly and it would be made up over the course of the year" but I think her main issue is that Sprint has no ETA on LTE arriving in Omaha and she's becoming increasingly disappointed in the slower-and-slower 3G speeds. On the other hand, paying less might make it more tolerable.
Yeah I don't think there's any guarantee she'll get that ETF pay-out before she cuts over, but on the other hand she might find it worthwhile to switch anyway depending on how quickly the switch works. Especially with 5 lines, there's a lot of opportunity for saving, since our billing model rewards that. :)

As for LTE, when a market lights up with LTE, we get it day and date with Sprint as well.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
Is there a way to prevent someone's name from appearing in every text I receive in the native messaging app? What I think is happening is when GV forwards the text to the native app, it just forwards all of the included text, which happens to also contain the name. It's a slight annoyance but something I would like to get rid of if possible.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LiquidRain posted:

Yeah I don't think there's any guarantee she'll get that ETF pay-out before she cuts over, but on the other hand she might find it worthwhile to switch anyway depending on how quickly the switch works. Especially with 5 lines, there's a lot of opportunity for saving, since our billing model rewards that. :)

As for LTE, when a market lights up with LTE, we get it day and date with Sprint as well.

Yep, that's why I'm looking at switching to Ting if Sprint boots me over roaming. It's just easier that way. Paying $90 for lovely coverage/speeds or paying $50 for lovely coverage/speeds? JEEPERS MISTER CLEAVER THAT'S A DOOZY. As far as she's concerned, she likes the flexibility - no overages, just paying for the next bracket up, and on the flip you get credited for using less data than your bracket. I think she looked at it and was figuring under $90 monthly, versus well over $200 monthly currently on Sprint. She'd make up the ETF in a year even if none of her lines got into the giveaway.

5 phones, but a gigabyte of data would be a good 25% over their current combined usage. I haven't a clue how they do it since I use up more than that on my one phone every month.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Yep, that's why I'm looking at switching to Ting if Sprint boots me over roaming. It's just easier that way. Paying $90 for lovely coverage/speeds or paying $50 for lovely coverage/speeds? JEEPERS MISTER CLEAVER THAT'S A DOOZY. As far as she's concerned, she likes the flexibility - no overages, just paying for the next bracket up, and on the flip you get credited for using less data than your bracket. I think she looked at it and was figuring under $90 monthly, versus well over $200 monthly currently on Sprint. She'd make up the ETF in a year even if none of her lines got into the giveaway.

5 phones, but a gigabyte of data would be a good 25% over their current combined usage. I haven't a clue how they do it since I use up more than that on my one phone every month.
No streaming services, Pocket (articles/pages downloaded for reading later), Google Maps pre-caching, wifi at home, wifi at work. I use under 200MB every month. My biggest data-using app is Awful Betamax.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You're not going with the Nexus 4? Aw. :( Was hoping I wouldn't be the only person in Omaha with one.

Ah well.

Does Ting allow ALL Sprint phones and do they allow people to sell their Sprint phones? Looking to possibly unload my NS4G.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

ThermoPhysical posted:

You're not going with the Nexus 4? Aw. :( Was hoping I wouldn't be the only person in Omaha with one.

Ah well.

Does Ting allow ALL Sprint phones and do they allow people to sell their Sprint phones? Looking to possibly unload my NS4G.
No, we don't allow all Sprint phones. Sprint restricts us from importing certain ones. As for what you want to do with old devices, on Sprint or on Ting it doesn't matter, you're free to sell them. :) Sprint allows you to register used phones, and so do we! (as long as it's not a used Sprint-branded phone that Sprint doesn't want us to have) Here's the full whitelist of devices we're allowed to import.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
From http://www.tmonews.com/2013/01/t-mobile-boosting-data-allotment-for-50-monthly4g-rate-plan/

Tmonews posted:

Beginning January 28th, T-Mobile is making some changes to their $50 Monthly4G prepaid rate plan with a boost in data allotment. The 400MB increase will apply to the next renewal and allow for a total of 500MB total data before throttling. The increase in data will automatically apply to customers now on the $50 Monthly4G plan.

That's fantastic. That means the $50 plan will be Unlimited/Unlimited/500MB instead of Unlimited/Unlimited/100MB.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Do the T-Mobile prepaid plans include nights and weekends, or is it a straight 100 minutes?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

No, we don't allow all Sprint phones. Sprint restricts us from importing certain ones. As for what you want to do with old devices, on Sprint or on Ting it doesn't matter, you're free to sell them. :) Sprint allows you to register used phones, and so do we! (as long as it's not a used Sprint-branded phone that Sprint doesn't want us to have) Here's the full whitelist of devices we're allowed to import.

Sweet. Can I sell phones to you guys or do you just provide the service for them?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If I'm currently on a Verizon plan will Ting let me keep my number if I change to them? Their plans seem much better for me than T-Mobile's.

e: Nevermind I found the answer on their site.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 22, 2013

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

hooah posted:

Do the T-Mobile prepaid plans include nights and weekends, or is it a straight 100 minutes?

Straight 100.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Naffer posted:

From http://www.tmonews.com/2013/01/t-mobile-boosting-data-allotment-for-50-monthly4g-rate-plan/

That's fantastic. That means the $50 plan will be Unlimited/Unlimited/500MB instead of Unlimited/Unlimited/100MB.

This is pretty much perfect for my girlfriend. Though the 100/Unlimited/5GB with vonage might as well since she's usually the originator of her calls. Maybe if t-mo is good with my phone she'll stop wanting to stick with verizon.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sweet. Can I sell phones to you guys or do you just provide the service for them?
We don't buy phones, but we do have a partnership with Glyde you can try. I believe it works that you list the phone on Glyde, Glyde finds a buyer, sends money to Glyde, Glyde gives you money, Glyde sends you box to ship phone, you send phone to guy.

RBA Starblade posted:

If I'm currently on a Verizon plan will Ting let me keep my number if I change to them? Their plans seem much better for me than T-Mobile's.

e: Nevermind I found the answer on their site.
The answer is yes for everyone else reading, it's a standard porting procedure. :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ah well.

Think of Ting as a no-contract stepping stone to a Nexus 4 with me not having to finagle timing of receiving the phone, quitting Sprint, and starting ST. I can get off Sprint, go on Ting, and then wait for the N4 to get back in stock. When it does, I buy one and then move to ST.

I just don't want to pay Sprint an ETF if I'm already having issues with constantly using roaming data and they're going to drop me anyway. My ETF is rather large considering I renewed to get this GNex in April, and waiting a couple of months paying $90 to Sprint vs. 40-50 to Ting is better than paying the $200+ in ETF by just quitting now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Think of Ting as a no-contract stepping stone to a Nexus 4 with me not having to finagle timing of receiving the phone, quitting Sprint, and starting ST. I can get off Sprint, go on Ting, and then wait for the N4 to get back in stock. When it does, I buy one and then move to ST.

I just don't want to pay Sprint an ETF if I'm already having issues with constantly using roaming data and they're going to drop me anyway. My ETF is rather large considering I renewed to get this GNex in April, and waiting a couple of months paying $90 to Sprint vs. 40-50 to Ting is better than paying the $200+ in ETF by just quitting now.

Yeah, that is true. I owe Sprint $50 + tax/Sprint fees (ugh) in ETF. :v:

I'd say try it that way since Ting would pay the ETF.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, that is true. I owe Sprint $50 + tax/Sprint fees (ugh) in ETF. :v:

I'd say try it that way since Ting would pay the ETF.

Eh, I can just get out ETF free if this roaming issue keeps up. I sync podcasts and stream music and stuff over it while roaming and that's going to use up a lot of data :ohdear:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Eh, I can just get out ETF free if this roaming issue keeps up. I sync podcasts and stream music and stuff over it while roaming and that's going to use up a lot of data :ohdear:

Play some YouTube videos at HD quality and roam around Chrome and Chrome Beta for about 2 minutes. That'll rack up TONS of data. :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Play some YouTube videos at HD quality and roam around Chrome and Chrome Beta for about 2 minutes. That'll rack up TONS of data. :v:

Back when I synced podcasts over 3G I rung up several GB of data per month. That would almost certainly get someone's attention :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Back when I synced podcasts over 3G I rung up several GB of data per month. That would almost certainly get someone's attention :v:

Bahaha. It should. I've only consumed 109MB of data on ST in one day so far. I blame Chrome and horrible websites not coded for mobile in ANY way.

I had a minor freakout but haven't been contacted or throttled or anything so far.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Bahaha. It should. I've only consumed 109MB of data on ST in one day so far. I blame Chrome and horrible websites not coded for mobile in ANY way.

I had a minor freakout but haven't been contacted or throttled or anything so far.

That's good. I mean, with 'normal' usage and WiFi at work (despite no push notifications :smith:) I am right around a gig, maybe two if it's a heavy month. I can easily take the brakes off and guzzle several gigs. Right now I'm, I don't know, testing the response speed of push notifications on 3G versus WiFi, so I'm basically using nothing but 3G while at home, maybe something can come of it.

(Rooted means tethering so gently caress it, hog wild etc)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
How do I set up Google Voice to take care of texts? I set it up to make CALLS with Google Voice so it still shows my old number (the one I ported) but I can't seem to do the same for texts. I know Google Voice doesn't support MMS but I'm just asking for SMS.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

How do I set up Google Voice to take care of texts? I set it up to make CALLS with Google Voice so it still shows my old number (the one I ported) but I can't seem to do the same for texts. I know Google Voice doesn't support MMS but I'm just asking for SMS.

You have people text your google voice number... In google voice you register your phone to recieve the text, you'll also get an email. You can also change your an Android phone to call out on GV. I choose not to because it's a little slow/buggy unless you have solid data every where. I call out on my Sim line, and just tell people my GV number.

Edit: Nm I'm an idiot do you want your outgoing number to be from Google Voice? If so you text from the Google voice app not from the messaging app.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Stick100 posted:

You have people text your google voice number... In google voice you register your phone to recieve the text, you'll also get an email. You can also change your an Android phone to call out on GV. I choose not to because it's a little slow/buggy unless you have solid data every where. I call out on my Sim line, and just tell people my GV number.

If you call out on your sim line, doesn't it pop up on their caller ID as your sim number?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Mr Newsman posted:

If you call out on your sim line, doesn't it pop up on their caller ID as your sim number?

Google Voice let's you choose to use either one.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

plester1 posted:

Google Voice let's you choose to use either one.

Yes but I believe the way it works when you choose to call on GV, is it connects to Google voice by data to have Google voice call both you and the target at the same time. This is how they get it to call out on the GV number. Issue occurs if you have spotty data then starting the dialing will be delayed (like up to 20 seconds) and occasionally fail to dial at all. I make so few calls and was annoyed enough by it to just disable it and always call out on my Sim number. Of course your mileage may vary.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Stick100 posted:

Yes but I believe the way it works when you choose to call on GV, is it connects to Google voice by data to have Google voice call both you and the target at the same time. This is how they get it to call out on the GV number. Issue occurs if you have spotty data then starting the dialing will be delayed (like up to 20 seconds) and occasionally fail to dial at all. I make so few calls and was annoyed enough by it to just disable it and always call out on my Sim number. Of course your mileage may vary.

I don't think you need data to make calls via your GV number. It uses your actual carrier minutes and just routes the call through a regular phone line and spoofs the caller ID. I've never seen what you're describing before.

If you're using Talkatone or GrooveIP to make calls without minutes you need a reliable data connection though.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

plester1 posted:

I don't think you need data to make calls via your GV number. It uses your actual carrier minutes and just routes the call through a regular phone line and spoofs the caller ID. I've never seen what you're describing before.

If you're using Talkatone or GrooveIP to make calls without minutes you need a reliable data connection though.

Stick100 is right. If you shut off your mobile data and try to call out with Google Voice it will fail because Google is basically calling you and the person you are calling and bridging the lines together.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

gariig posted:

Stick100 is right. If you shut off your mobile data and try to call out with Google Voice it will fail because Google is basically calling you and the person you are calling and bridging the lines together.

I'm not sure how it's working for you, but this isn't how it works if you're using the app as opposed to the webapp. Voice assigns an "intermediary" number to each one of your contacts' numbers, so that when your phone (with it's native number) calls it, Google to knows to connect that call with the number you meant to call and then spoofs the caller ID.

For example, if I want to call (614) 233-2901, I dial that in my dialer, Google uses data to grab a free intermediary number (say something completely different and random like (912) 277-9490) and then dials that intermediary number on your behalf, spoofing your GV number's caller ID along the way.

You can also text this intermediary number if you want the person who's getting the text to see it as coming from your Voice number, as opposed to your phone's native number.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
You are right. Google Voice doesn't require a data connection if you've called someone on your phone this was changed in back 2011. I guess it now caches the fake phone numbers Google Voice uses

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Got a Cox outage. Have to use cellar data to connect and had to call Cox. Nice to see that the data and voice work at the same time unlike before at Kmart.

This is a pretty useful thing. :v: The data is still pretty fast too.

Oddly enough, cable is still on but I'm in a complete service outage.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

gariig posted:

You are right. Google Voice doesn't require a data connection if you've called someone on your phone this was changed in back 2011. I guess it now caches the fake phone numbers Google Voice uses

Oh maybe it's time to start using my GV number again. Thanks for the information.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just to confirm, using the Vonage app on a data connection (no wifi) only uses data, not minutes, correct?

Those 100 minutes go fast!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

hotsauce posted:

Just to confirm, using the Vonage app on a data connection (no wifi) only uses data, not minutes, correct?

Those 100 minutes go fast!

Correct

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Got a Cox outage. Have to use cellar data to connect and had to call Cox. Nice to see that the data and voice work at the same time unlike before at Kmart.

This is a pretty useful thing. :v: The data is still pretty fast too.

Oddly enough, cable is still on but I'm in a complete service outage.

Oh hey sup cox outage buddy.

I get outages like this once every 1-2 weeks. I don't know what they do, but I honestly wish they'd stop being cocks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I think Google voice doesn't have 911. I'm not sure how this works if you're dialing out from your phone - if you have to switch to your SIM number or not.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh hey sup cox outage buddy.

I get outages like this once every 1-2 weeks. I don't know what they do, but I honestly wish they'd stop being cocks.

I can't complain too much, I had a pretty decent data speed going on from AT&T/ST and I got to watch Law and Order SVU for a bit. :v:

Good to know that ST is reliable when my home internet drops.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So I got my phone~! Yay!

Porting now but I have 2 questions for Ting folks.

I got a 25 usd credit on my account which is nice but I thought I was supposed to get a 50 dollar one. Unless this is just a new one. It sys it is from the marketing folks.

And the second is I am now porting one of the numbers on my families plan, should I order the other family members phones now ro wait for the proting to be done or should I cancle the porting and port all the numbers when I have all the phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Herr Tog posted:

So I got my phone~! Yay!

Porting now but I have 2 questions for Ting folks.

I got a 25 usd credit on my account which is nice but I thought I was supposed to get a 50 dollar one. Unless this is just a new one. It sys it is from the marketing folks.

And the second is I am now porting one of the numbers on my families plan, should I order the other family members phones now ro wait for the proting to be done or should I cancle the porting and port all the numbers when I have all the phones?
Do you happen to still have the URL you used to sign up? $25 codes are usually referrals. (you get $25, person who referred you gets $25) If the code you got says on the website you were supposed to get $50, and you only got $25, call customer support and tell them. Ask them to escalate the issue and it'll get to development for testing, and if they don't give you a $25 credit on the spot to top you up to a $50 credit, tell me and I'll walk up there and give 'em a scolding.

Port in to Ting whenever you like, order whatever phones whenever you like, and do it in whatever order you feel like. Your billing date is for your entire account and won't change as you add more phones.

• Locked thread