Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Das Volk posted:

That's very much Laguna Seca .jpg

There's an onsite muffler service to help people comply. Because moving right next to a racetrack that's been there for 50 years then complaining about noise totally makes sense.

I want to move next to the new track by Austin, and when race days are on, open up the doors :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Das Volk posted:

There's an onsite muffler service to help people comply. Because moving right next to a racetrack that's been there for 50 years then complaining about noise totally makes sense.

It actually does. You move next to something noisy where home values are lower because of the noise, complain until it gets shut down or silenced, then sell the house for a small profit and move next to something else that's noisy. rinse and repeat until you have made a trivial amount of money ruining everything for everybody who isn't you. Also known as the american way :911:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

From a few pages back, but I gotta say it:

"When this baby hits 88 knots per hour, you're gonna see some serious ship." :smug:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Astroman posted:

From a few pages back, but I gotta say it:

"When this baby hits 88 knots per hour, you're gonna see some serious ship." :smug:

"Roads? Where we're going, we won't need roads." :smugbert:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

It actually does. You move next to something noisy where home values are lower because of the noise, complain until it gets shut down or silenced, then sell the house for a small profit and move next to something else that's noisy. rinse and repeat until you have made a trivial amount of money ruining everything for everybody who isn't you. Also known as the american way :911:

There's actually pretty big money in that racket, especially if your target is airports. All the rich morons who built their McMansions out west of the city I live in bitch constantly about the general aviation airport out there...despite the airport having been there since the 1960s. What makes their argument even more frustrating (that we're disturbing their quiet country way of life) is that there really isn't anything quiet or country about their lifestyle; all these houses are on like one acre lots...its just a typical suburban subdivision with slightly bigger houses. :psyduck:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
When I become rich enough to do so, I'm buying about 100 acres and building a dirt track, paved track, and 1/4 strip.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Devyl posted:

When I become rich enough to do so, I'm buying about 100 acres and building a dirt track, paved track, and 1/4 strip.
1/4 nothing, you'd better build a full standing mile and invite us all to it! I keep fantasizing about getting the state cops to shut down a particularly straight and level piece of highway for (legal) speed runs.

grover fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 23, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Don't forget the house Veyron for friends of management. :v:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I've always wondered how much it would cost to build a private race track if i were to win lotto one day or similar.

Not anything like a full on FIA compliant Tilke designed (flat) modern F1 track, just something about 5 km long that's on a similar level to an ordinary road.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aargh posted:

I've always wondered how much it would cost to build a private race track if i were to win lotto one day or similar.

Not anything like a full on FIA compliant Tilke designed (flat) modern F1 track, just something about 5 km long that's on a similar level to an ordinary road.

There's one in my region but it's in bad disrepair. Some local rich guy bought up a ton of land north of of city and had a small track paved on it. He was already old by the time I moved here and most of the badly poured concrete is cracked and overgrown so there's no hope of saving it. We did hit it in the Jeep once and got chased off the property by State Troopers though.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Aargh posted:

This article is for you! http://jalopnik.com/5849231/in-his-front-yard-this-man-built-americas-largest-private-racetrack

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

There's one in my region but it's in bad disrepair. Some local rich guy bought up a ton of land north of of city and had a small track paved on it. He was already old by the time I moved here and most of the badly poured concrete is cracked and overgrown so there's no hope of saving it. We did hit it in the Jeep once and got chased off the property by State Troopers though.

George Barber owned a dairy company in Alabama. When he sold out to the national companies he made a killing. He decided he wanted to build a museum so he could share his motorcycle and car collection with the public. Shortly after hitting on the idea he decided he really wanted a small test track out back so he could play with his collection.

Well, the environmental lobby caught wind of the track and sued based on the claim of some endangered insects on the property. Well, pile of legal fees later he decided screw it, go big or go home and enlarged the track. He won, they built the track, he decided he didn't like the layout. He ripped up the track, had them lay down a new one. Bingo, or so they thought, turns out the contractors used the wrong asphalt and track was actually moving in the corners. So, they ripped it up, and paved it again.

After all this, the facility is just amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_Motorsports_Park

He's still mad at the environmentalists, at the gate to the facility is a sign meant to inform anyone with a environmental donation license plate they're not welcome. He's also festooned the grounds with various bug sculptures. The spiders being the most obvious.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

EightBit posted:

I want to move next to the new track by Austin, and when race days are on, open up the doors :allears:

I agree with that sentiment, I live right by an expensive set of condos and the local footballers live there. There's a Gallardo Superleggera, SLS with straight pipes(!) a 458 and several other cars whose owners absolutely hammer it down the straight behind our flat. Just about the only thing I'm going to miss about London :laugh:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Aurune posted:

Barber motorsports park stuff

That is the only place I miss in Birmingham, It was so nice. I only wish I had the money to drive it when I lived there. I still have friends that work as mechanics at the museum and they love it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

This picture is pretty awesome right here.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Where is this?

Aurune posted:

at the gate to the facility is a sign meant to inform anyone with a environmental donation license plate they're not welcome.
That track is beautiful but that guy sounds like a purebred rear end in a top hat.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Das Volk posted:

#everyracetrackintheUK

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Brighton aerodrome (I think?) has a wonderful sign in the entrance lobby stating you can lodge a complaint about the planes if you bought your house before the aerodrome was built.

In 1910.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MrChips posted:

There's actually pretty big money in that racket, especially if your target is airports. All the rich morons who built their McMansions out west of the city I live in bitch constantly about the general aviation airport out there...despite the airport having been there since the 1960s. What makes their argument even more frustrating (that we're disturbing their quiet country way of life) is that there really isn't anything quiet or country about their lifestyle; all these houses are on like one acre lots...its just a typical suburban subdivision with slightly bigger houses. :psyduck:

They were supposed to build a 2 1/2 mile superspeedway here with drag racing and everything, on some buffer lands near the regional/ANG base. Got denied because of noise concerns, meanwhile C-5A's flew over it every day until the C-17s took over.

:psyduck:

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

VikingSkull posted:

They were supposed to build a 2 1/2 mile superspeedway here with drag racing and everything, on some buffer lands near the regional/ANG base. Got denied because of noise concerns, meanwhile C-5A's flew over it every day until the C-17s took over.

:psyduck:

Hey, that's funny. This track opened in 2003. It was closed from 2004-2010 due to noise complaints.

Now you may look at it on a map and think it's pretty close to that neighborhood to the south. Then scroll a bit to the north and notice Luke loving Airforce Base. Apparently people that live in the area have no problem putting up with a dozen squadrons of F-16s, but a few race cars from time to time is entirely unacceptable.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

WTFBEES posted:

Hey, that's funny. This track opened in 2003. It was closed from 2004-2010 due to noise complaints.

Now you may look at it on a map and think it's pretty close to that neighborhood to the south. Then scroll a bit to the north and notice Luke loving Airforce Base. Apparently people that live in the area have no problem putting up with a dozen squadrons of F-16s, but a few race cars from time to time is entirely unacceptable.

Because people are assholes and apparently have nothing better to do.

In reality, they were probably told to gently caress off with their complaints about the noise coming from the Air Force Base, and decided to then re-target their noise complaints where it would do something: the race track that is without question quieter than an Air Force Base.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I live near DIA and my house was built in the past 4 years. It's a non issue. Any house that was built in the last 10 that isn't a huge pile of poo poo should be drat near sound proof to the outside world.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

More: http://www.renaudmarion.com/index.php?/ongoing/air-drive/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's almost as if that's what the designers intended originally and the wheels were a crude, inconvenient concession to production reality. Like door handles and bumpers for concept cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You'd sure get a lot less rear quarter panel rust like that.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Slavvy posted:

It's almost as if that's what the designers intended originally and the wheels were a crude, inconvenient concession to production reality. Like door handles and bumpers for concept cars.

I'd argue that the Jaguar XK (is that what that silver thing is?) was absolutely designed around wheels.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

WTFBEES posted:

It's not the noise, it's their perception of the clientele; the noise complaints are just a means to an end.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's not the noise, it's their perception of the clientele; the noise complaints are just a means to an end.

The clientele are vastly better people than the complaining dickheads

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You almost wouldn't have to edit a Talbot Lago to fit in there.

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talbot-Lago
OK, just the front. I seemed to remember that both ends were skirted, but apparently I remembered wrong.

Nash Statesman or Rambler: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Nash_Stateman_2-Door_Sedan_1951.jpg
Or Nash Metropolitan: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/Series_III_Hardtop.jpg
Would fit right in with minimal editing.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 25, 2013

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Darchangel posted:

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talbot-Lago
OK, just the front. I seemed to remember that both ends were skirted, but apparently I remembered wrong.

Maybe you're thinking of the Figoni et Falaschi bodied Delahayes?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
The cabriolet 300SL looks like a small boat.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

sadnessboner posted:

Jesus christ this is art

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Funzo posted:

I just remembered this pic I took the other day. I think this is the right thread for it.

That thing is amazing. Those wheels.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sadnessboner posted:

Quite possibly. those are gorgeous cars, as-is, photoshop not required.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Poster on Viper Club took some pics of Ralph Gilles while he was on his five-thousand mile winter roadtrip. Yes, he and Dick Winkles, SRT's head powertrain engineer, drove it in a snow storm.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Tekne posted:

Poster on Viper Club took some pics of Ralph Gilles while he was on his five-thousand mile winter roadtrip. Yes, he and Dick Winkles, SRT's head powertrain engineer, drove it in a snow storm.

Dick Winkles is a very unfortunate moniker.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sadnessboner posted:

I dream of the day when I might own a Delahaye. They look like something out of a Tex Avery cartoon, picture the wolf from Red Hot Riding Hood pulling up in one of these.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 25, 2013

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Left Ventricle posted:

That thing is amazing. Those wheels.

The best part is, those are factory.

Afrika Shox
Mar 27, 2010
Nothing to see here

Afrika Shox fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

McLarens P1 camo is actualy made up of circuits significant to their history which is cool as h*ck imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW2LOgchfno