Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Leofish posted:

I also should have done more research into Petit Computer, from the e-Shop, because I erroneously assumed they'd give you some pointers on this stuff, but apparently you're just thrown in and expected to figure BASIC out on your own after 15 years of not using it. It's not like I can't do it, but I was expecting a bit more hand-holding at first, for some reason. All I was able to create in 7th grade computer class all those years ago was some flimsy blackjack program that didn't include Aces because I couldn't figure out a way to make something have two different conditional values.

They basically expect you to read the manual on the website (which they didn't both translating until months after release) and/or to buy the electronic guidebook (which came out a couple weeks ago in English; only the Android version is available at the moment).

Anyway, I say it every time this game is brought up but it bears repeating: where's my PAL release, Gamebridge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Between Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey February is a good month for 3DS owners who enjoy punishingly hard RPGs. :v:

Playing Fire Emblem so soon after getting free of Xcom Battered Wife Syndrome felt like having a parfait on a Sunday picnic. Not getting obliterated because the bad guy was on screen and I wasn't in cover was downright confusing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Leofish posted:

I also should have done more research into Petit Computer, from the e-Shop, because I erroneously assumed they'd give you some pointers on this stuff, but apparently you're just thrown in and expected to figure BASIC out on your own after 15 years of not using it. It's not like I can't do it, but I was expecting a bit more hand-holding at first, for some reason. All I was able to create in 7th grade computer class all those years ago was some flimsy blackjack program that didn't include Aces because I couldn't figure out a way to make something have two different conditional values.
The ingame manual is pretty comprehensive, although it can be a bit clunky to load when looking up API calls. The example programs cover a pretty wide swath of the functions too. All things considered, I think its pretty easy to get into. Especially if you already have a little programming experience. Its like riding a bicycle.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Question about getting Netflix on this: Can you stream directly to the 3DS or do you need to relay it through a Wii/U?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

C. E. Croix posted:

Question about getting Netflix on this: Can you stream directly to the 3DS or do you need to relay it through a Wii/U?

You don't need a Wii/Wii U to use Netflix on the 3DS.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
What's the general consensus on Unchained Blades? I know EO4 is coming out soon, but the aesthetic of that series has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Just some information for anyone looking to import a 3DS/XL from the US for somewhere else, since I did it recently:

Region locking is a mild pain, but there's a few games that either have hugely delayed EU/AU releases (ds1 overclocked, luigi's mansion, likely SMT4 + SMT:Persona) or no EU release at all yet (etrian 4, code of princess). Some notes:

- you can use US eshop cards with your US 3DS to buy games available there (OOT3d, all mario games, fire emblem, various others). One that accepts AU/EU CCs and seems to be ok is Maximuscards - I've had no problem getting cards from there, and it's basically instant.

- you need to get a charger from somewhere, since the US one is both a US plug and 120v. Since a dual converter-transformer is fuckoff expensive, you can either get a USB charger or a universal ds/3ds/microusb charger, either of which work fine.

- Amazon will ship ~most~ 3DS games internationally. If you find one that refuses to be shipped, make sure that you're getting it from Amazon itself and not a third-party seller. The only game I've had trouble with this is Theatrhythm.

As an additional note, I got my 3DS XL from Amazon with 4 games and priority shipping ($36) was $3 cheaper than default slowass shipping ($39), so make sure to check the difference :v:

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

Pomp posted:

Does Theaterrhythm contain Vamo allo Flamenco and/or have any Black Mages tunes available as DLC; or, is there a list of available DLC I can find?
No and no. It's all original music with the exception of the Advent Children version of "One-Winged Angel" which is only for the iOS version :( http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Theatrhythm_Final_Fantasy#Music

I really like it but the ultimate scores are a headache when you have a very short time to do the slide motions and it seems like it's very finicky about what's an acceptable slide motion.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Hobo Siege posted:

What's the general consensus on Unchained Blades? I know EO4 is coming out soon, but the aesthetic of that series has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Apparently it was punishingly hard and had a stupid gimmick involving the moods of your companion monsters that you have no way to predict making it purely guesswork.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Sire Oblivion posted:

You don't need a Wii/Wii U to use Netflix on the 3DS.

And don't expect the best quality video either (it's still surprisingly good, though).

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I have a huge DS collection and love my DSiXL to death. I've been waiting on buying the 3DS until the XL was released, but I still haven't gotten around to it because $$$. Here's my question:

Are there any 3DS games that will be hard to find if I wait until summer to grab a system? In other words, things I should pick up now in case they disappear / have a limited run?

The only game that I've noticed being hard to track down is Devil Survivor Overclocked. I've heard nothing of it being released digitally, and I've only seen it in stores once besides the time I bought it. Some people have had issues finding Tales of Abyss, but it's always in stores around where I live, so your mileage may vary with that.
If you're not too concerned with JRPGs you probably won't have much of a problem by the time you pick one up.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Haraksha posted:

Apparently it was punishingly hard and had a stupid gimmick involving the moods of your companion monsters that you have no way to predict making it purely guesswork.

That's overstating it by a lot. The mood gimmick is dumb, but all it does is make them more or less likely to take a hit/attack with you, and follower battles are a huge pile of bullshit that make arbitrary gates. Fortunately, you only have to do one of those battles per titan (so far at least, I'm at the end of Chapter 2), and as long as you've been diligent in picking up new monsters as you go through the titan, you won't have to do much, if any grinding to pick up new monsters to clear them. There is a bit of grinding to get everyone up to speed with equipment when you first get them, but you shouldn't have to do much grinding to keep up with levels as long as you take the time to explore everywhere and kill everything you see. The experience formula is really good, and you can get levels really quickly if the enemies are a lot stronger than you. Go to a higher floor, drop a Burst attack if necessary, and you can honestly pick up a level after a group of enemies or two. As long as you play things smart, you don't have to grind nearly as much as some people say.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

punchdaily posted:

The only game that I've noticed being hard to track down is Devil Survivor Overclocked. I've heard nothing of it being released digitally, and I've only seen it in stores once besides the time I bought it. Some people have had issues finding Tales of Abyss, but it's always in stores around where I live, so your mileage may vary with that.
If you're not too concerned with JRPGs you probably won't have much of a problem by the time you pick one up.

I grabbed Devil Survivor Overclocked from Amazon a week or two ago, no problem at all :raise:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So Nicalis just plain upped and stopped talking about an EU release of Cave Story after a while didn't they?

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Murodese posted:

I grabbed Devil Survivor Overclocked from Amazon a week or two ago, no problem at all :raise:

Well I was talking specifically about Brick and Mortar stores. I don't think currently anything is too difficult to track down online.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Wow, the OP was rather informative but unfortunately killed my enthusiasm for getting a 3DS, and is actually making me reconsider the decision. I really wanted to get one for project x zone, and was going to get fire emblem and a couple other games that sounded fun but weren't huge deals either way...but being region locked is kind of a deal breaker for me, because I import Japanese games all the time and frankly paying for 2 3DSes for that is pure bullshit. Maybe I will have to find a friend who doesn't use their 3ds much to borrow for project x zone and rent the game itself off gamefly...

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Why not just pick up a Japanese 3DS and be done with it?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Khisanth Magus posted:

Wow, the OP was rather informative but unfortunately killed my enthusiasm for getting a 3DS, and is actually making me reconsider the decision. I really wanted to get one for project x zone, and was going to get fire emblem and a couple other games that sounded fun but weren't huge deals either way...but being region locked is kind of a deal breaker for me, because I import Japanese games all the time and frankly paying for 2 3DSes for that is pure bullshit. Maybe I will have to find a friend who doesn't use their 3ds much to borrow for project x zone and rent the game itself off gamefly...

Yeah, it's pretty horrible because of a lot of customers who want to throw Nintendo money and then this happens. It's pretty unfortunate, but yeah, I'd say either import a Japanese 3DS or do whatever your other option is. I promise, the games I listed in the 2nd post (I just added a few more) are pretty great (except for NSMB2) and definitely worth paying a little money for. Plus, with the 3DS getting a significant market share there's a pretty ridiculous amount of localization going on, so who knows?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

VarrosAnon posted:

Yeah, it's pretty horrible because of a lot of customers who want to throw Nintendo money and then this happens. It's pretty unfortunate, but yeah, I'd say either import a Japanese 3DS or do whatever your other option is. I promise, the games I listed in the 2nd post (I just added a few more) are pretty great (except for NSMB2) and definitely worth paying a little money for. Plus, with the 3DS getting a significant market share there's a pretty ridiculous amount of localization going on, so who knows?

Unfortunately the series that I import every single game of can never get released over here, with 2 exceptions in the past we will never see again, which is the super robot wars games, and I was looking forward to the 3DS one. I guess I could hope for a soft-mod of the 3DS like there is for the PSP, which I love just to play the games I own on there without having to deal with the noise, disk switching, and battery draining of the disk drive, which I would imagine one would be capable of removing the region locking when someone manages to come up with such a mod.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
If you're dead set on importing then why not just buy the Japanese 3DS in the first place? Super Robot Wars is already a tactical RPG, why wait for a localization on Project X Zone?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Caitlin posted:

If you're dead set on importing then why not just buy the Japanese 3DS in the first place? Super Robot Wars is already a tactical RPG, why wait for a localization on Project X Zone?

Mainly because my Japanese is no where near as good as my English, so if a game is actually released in English that is the way I usually play it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Khisanth Magus posted:

Unfortunately the series that I import every single game of can never get released over here, with 2 exceptions in the past we will never see again, which is the super robot wars games, and I was looking forward to the 3DS one. I guess I could hope for a soft-mod of the 3DS like there is for the PSP, which I love just to play the games I own on there without having to deal with the noise, disk switching, and battery draining of the disk drive, which I would imagine one would be capable of removing the region locking when someone manages to come up with such a mod.

In reguards to a softmod, a hacking group managed to get kernel access to the 3DS recently, but there is no ETA of any public stuff. It's something easily patchable so they aren't really wanting to publicize it yet because they want to use it to find other exploits. They are against WAREZ so I can't say weather they will put out something to go region free (the region coding could be part of the ROM encryption.)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hey Murodese, I added your advice to the third post. If anyone else has any tribulations & tips on importing a Japanese or PAL 3DS or just anything of that vein in general, I think it would be nice when people ask about importing/region locking to just have this info so that if we're going to talk about region locking all the time we don't have to post the same poo poo every page.

Not that I want it to seem like I'm complaining at the prospective owners. This poo poo sucks, we agree, and at some point it will get old to you too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've been sold on getting a 3DS XL, but I'm wondering if there any good deals or coupons going on where I could get a new one for less than 2 bills.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

punchdaily posted:

Well I was talking specifically about Brick and Mortar stores. I don't think currently anything is too difficult to track down online.

Yeah, I had to find it used at some weird GameStop hidden away in a strip mall. I even went to big stores like Nintendo World in Rockefeller Center when I was looking and the employee there (who was really cool and gave me the numbers of a couple small indie video game stores) told me that Atlus sent out only like 24 copies to them which sold out in a week.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I've been sold on getting a 3DS XL, but I'm wondering if there any good deals or coupons going on where I could get a new one for less than 2 bills.

You can get it from Newegg with MK7 for the same price, so there's that at least. Other than that, no, I don't think there's a ton going on post-Black Friday in terms of XL deals.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Khanstant posted:

There is always ebay, which while it doesn't have any huge discounts on new ones, you could get about $20 off.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Best Buy's got the 3DS XL on sale for $180 at the moment:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nintendo+-+3DS+XL+(Blue/Black)/5720602.p?id=1218686505252&skuId=5720602&st=nintendo%203ds%20xl&cp=1&lp=1

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:
I ordered a $20-off XL on Monday, and it was delivered into my hands just a little under an hour ago.

The Mime
Jan 21, 2008

ill get the moose back
Target also has the MK7 + 3DS XL deal for $190:
http://www.target.com/p/nintendo-3ds-xl-w-mario-kart-7-blue-nintendo-3ds-xl/-/A-14327370#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=3ds+xl

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Teim posted:

So Nicalis just plain upped and stopped talking about an EU release of Cave Story after a while didn't they?

They are so bad at this publishing thing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I managed to find a "Gamestop New" copy of Tales of the Abyss today. It seems good so far. The 3D is horrible, but considering it's a PS2 port I'm not complaining. Apparently it's as rare as a few Atlus games, but the game had been sitting on the shelf for weeks.

Now that I've bought it, the game will be coming out on the NA eShop in another week, guaranteed.

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012
If I buy a XL with a game pre-loaded to the SD card (ie Mario Kart 7), can I download it again at a later time if I decide to remove it?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dianekwon posted:

If I buy a XL with a game pre-loaded to the SD card (ie Mario Kart 7), can I download it again at a later time if I decide to remove it?

Yeah. When you move all your data from another 3DS, it actually deletes the Mario Kart 7 copy from your XL and you have to redownload it to get it again.

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012

Rirse posted:

Yeah. When you move all your data from another 3DS, it actually deletes the Mario Kart 7 copy from your XL and you have to redownload it to get it again.

How does downloading Mario Kart 7 work? When I boot up my XL for the first time, do I create an account and then I redeem a copy of the game for that account or something like that?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

dianekwon posted:

How does downloading Mario Kart 7 work? When I boot up my XL for the first time, do I create an account and then I redeem a copy of the game for that account or something like that?

There is no account system. The game permissions are tied to the system and you can download it from that system only through the eShop.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I have a few questions along a similar line about eShop games.

Does it work the same way for eShop games that weren't bundled? I like the idea of having a bunch of my games on the system itself, but what happens if my SD card gets corrupted or something? Can I re-download the games onto a new card? And what happens if the 3DS breaks? If the permissions are tied to the system, how do I get to my games on a replacement 3DS?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

I have a few questions along a similar line about eShop games.

Does it work the same way for eShop games that weren't bundled? I like the idea of having a bunch of my games on the system itself, but what happens if my SD card gets corrupted or something? Can I re-download the games onto a new card? And what happens if the 3DS breaks? If the permissions are tied to the system, how do I get to my games on a replacement 3DS?

If your SD card breaks it is fine. It happened to me. Just go to download history in the eShop and re-download them to a new card. If the 3DS breaks there is not much you can do. Perhaps you can send the systems to Nintendo and they can transfer them?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Murodese posted:

- Amazon will ship ~most~ 3DS games internationally. If you find one that refuses to be shipped, make sure that you're getting it from Amazon itself and not a third-party seller. The only game I've had trouble with this is Theatrhythm.

Fire Emblem: Awakening and Etrian Odyssey IV are also exceptions to this rule (checked within 2 minutes of this post). The former will show up on the eShop, and the latter can be ordered from other import-friendly shops like Video Games Plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing just got changed to a retail/download title along with Splinter Cell 3D in the US eShop. Ghost Recon is $29.99

• Locked thread