Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
One thing I did that I found helps a lot is to complete a mission, then watch AN's LP of that level. You can learn a ton by just seeing what kind of poo poo she pulls and the imitating it. http://lparchive.org/Devil-May-Cry-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

WeaponBoy posted:

One thing I did that I found helps a lot is to complete a mission, then watch AN's LP of that level. You can learn a ton by just seeing what kind of poo poo she pulls and the imitating it. http://lparchive.org/Devil-May-Cry-3/

Yeah she helped me tons with the Agni & Rudra fight.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
Is there any way in DMC3 to convincingly beat those floating angel bastards with the giant spears? They're the one baddy I have the most difficulty with.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Is there any way in DMC3 to convincingly beat those floating angel bastards with the giant spears? They're the one baddy I have the most difficulty with.

The Fallen are boring to fight at best, infuriating at worst. They can noclip into walls and can't be damaged until you break their wing shield, which you can only do during their attack and a short bit afterwards. I find Trickster and A&R the most efficient way to deal with them since you can dash away from their attack and use Air Trick to get in their face and bust their shield while they're recovering.

Once you break the shield, they're vulnerable to any attack. For the quick kill, which is recommended since they often come in staggered pairs, charge a full DT Explosion to kill off the first one so you can concentrate on the second.

Their attack patterns are actually easier to dodge before their shield is broken, since they usually swing or stab once. Their main attack once exposed is to move near you and wave their sword/lance around like a loving baton. What makes this bad is that the hitbox on that attack is really wide and I swear it changes length during the animation, so you really have to be conservative in your attacks if you don't want to get hit. Fortunately, since they swing it overhead with their right arm, you can avoid it entirely by staying under and to the left of them.

Also, they can throw their lance at you, which then explodes afterward. They telegraph the throw, and you can get away from the explosion radius relatively easily. Basically, don't try to get fancy since there's very little room to do so and not getting hit will earn you a better rank anyway against them. Terrible monster design really; it's a good thing their analogues in DMC4 stay vulnerable and helpless once you break their shield as opposed to becoming even worse to fight.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Hel posted:

PCSX2 let's you set custom resolutions but it's limited by your computers performance , I get sub 60fps if I go over 4x native, just try it if you have a Ps2 DVD to use. You could also just full screen on a lower res but that look rather bad. There are some graphical oddities you might have problems with but I personally don't care about them. I don't think DMC3 uses the analogue buttons on the ps2 so you could probably even use a 360 controller. If you do play via emulator I recommend making ISO instead of running via the DVD drive.

Whoa, are you telling me I can play PS2 games in my DVD drive and also easily make isos from them to play on an emulator? That's kind of amazing. I just thought it was all dodgy poo poo. As far as DMC is concerned I'll probably stick with HD Collection on Xbox 360 and DMC4 on Steam which I bought for stupidly low from GMG.

I have been replaying DMC4 on Steam and it's much better than I remembered. I've gotten more into "not sucking" since I played it on Xbox 360 ages ago, but that was only really in DMC3. Going back to 4 now has been a really great experience. Especially Dante with on-the-fly style switching which is overwhelming as first but SICK (like a skater would say) when you get the hang of it. Kind of miss Nero's buster, though. Nero and Dante play so different but both are so fun. Whoever suggested switching Blue Rose to RT thanks because that is amazing and should be default. I just beat the planty lady as Dante. The only two missions I've gotten S on so far have both been the ones with planty lady. Guess I'm just good at that boss fight.

I hate Mr. Ice Frog so much though aggggggh. At least now I can use DT to escape when I gently caress up I guess.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Thing to remember with the ice frog dude is that you just walk towards him diagonally so if he does his floor ice attack it goes past you. Then once you're at his side you just jump and slap the poo poo out of his ice crystals, he takes the MEGA DAMAGES.

Etc.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PoshAlligator posted:

Whoa, are you telling me I can play PS2 games in my DVD drive and also easily make isos from them to play on an emulator? That's kind of amazing. I just thought it was all dodgy poo poo.

Most(all?) PS2 games are on DVDs(and not with some arcane difference like the DC's GD-ROM), so just put them in your computer and you can look at the files. And as far as I know the emulators themselves aren't that dodgy it's just the a lot of the users do the :filez: thing. Just google PCSX2 and try it out, most of the questions can be solved with a quick search on the internet.

DMC3 chat, what do you get for style level 3? Because the jump from 30000 to 99999 seems a bit big to just grind out, is there any reason to do it or should I just play with whatever style I like?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hel posted:

DMC3 chat, what do you get for style level 3? Because the jump from 30000 to 99999 seems a bit big to just grind out, is there any reason to do it or should I just play with whatever style I like?

They just give you better things.

Trickster LV3 gives you a triple dash and allows you to teleport above a targeted enemy.
Swordsmaster and Gunslinger give you more moves for their respective weapons.
Royal Guard LV3 allows you to convert guard energy into health for yourself.
Dark Slayer allows Vergil to teleport more in various ways (above the enemy, away from the enemy, etc).

Play with what ever style suits you the most, though, it doesn't hurt to level any of them up to max.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hel posted:

Trickster level 3 gives you Air Trick, where Dante teleports into the air right in front of the enemy. It's an excellent move since you can air dash away from attacks and teleport right back into fray very easily.

Royal Guard level 3 gets you Ultimate. It blocks projectiles and turns them into health, but it doesn't hold a candle to standard/Just Blocks and Releases.

Swordsmaster level 3 gives you a stylish and easy combo with Rebellion that can be mashed into a 360 spin attack that racks up style points and stunlocks lesser enemies for the duration. Beowulf gets Real Impact, which is probably the strongest move in the game; if it doesn't kill the enemy during the uppercut, it can even be mashed into a tornado kick (tatsu from Ryu in Street Fighter) for even more hits. Cerberus gets an ice shield skill that makes you invulnerable, and Agni & Rudra get an AoE move that mashes into another AoE hit; but they don't really compare to the other two since there's some recovery lag from the former and the latter leaves you immobile and vulnerable to anything that doesn't flinch.

Gunslinger level 3 further buffs the damage and hits from level 1 & 2 skills.

The grind sucks; honestly, I'd get a trainer or hack just to raise them to max ASAP. Makes the game more fun that way. Other than that, feel free to mix up your Styles. Some missions and bosses are easier with certain styles, but you can manage without them if you're good enough.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For grinding, I did the Boss Rush level on Heaven or Hell mode. In a few hours I maxed every style

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've definitely enjoyed the last couple of DMC3 stages more than I enjoyed the earlier. Stage 8 was definitely different from most DMC stages and the chapter 9 boss was very fun even if predictable. Dodging all her attacks with trickster felt pretty sweet. All these interludes with Lady makes me just wish she was a playable character, though.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You know if you just play the game with your favorite style selected, it will level up. You don't need to grind anything. Personally I never took off Swordmaster unless there I just had to have an extra dodge, like those platforming sections late in the game. Really all the crazy combos and extra sword moves are the best way to play in my opinion. Royalguard is for people who just want to sperge out and just completely dominate the combat systems, and gunslinger is well... guns are useless in DMC3 so why bother?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

notZaar posted:

You know if you just play the game with your favorite style selected, it will level up. You don't need to grind anything. Personally I never took off Swordmaster unless there I just had to have an extra dodge, like those platforming sections late in the game. Really all the crazy combos and extra sword moves are the best way to play in my opinion. Royalguard is for people who just want to sperge out and just completely dominate the combat systems, and gunslinger is well... guns are useless in DMC3 so why bother?

I enjoy Swordmaster as well but I can never consistently execute a dodge roll, because I can't get the angle right. I usually end up jumping and getting hurt, so I just stick to trickster. In my mind, Dante has extremely powerful attacks, but is also something of a paper tiger, so he has to dodge all the time. That's why all the cut-scenes where he just stands there and gets skewered multiple times, and giving no fucks about it, are REALLY jarring to me.

EDIT: Really DMC4 had the perfect solution to this.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
DMC3 seems to be the consensus favorite game but I'll always be the most fond of DMC1. It's just so pure.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I really liked the style system in DMC4. Real shame that they're not in DmC(?). I would have loved to see this system refined and expanded upon even more.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

DMC3 seems to be the consensus favorite game but I'll always be the most fond of DMC1. It's just so pure.

DMC1 feels like the game DmC most wants to be. It's a shame it isn't because if they'd gone more DMC1 and put real effort into the bosses and enemies it'd be a lot easier to overlook other problems.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Returning to DMC1 is just soul crushing with how terrible I am at it.

That game is just balls to the wall tough -- I can't get on with it at all anymore.

e:
One of my biggest problems (I mean, it's not bad but, for me) with DMC1 is just how brutally unforgiving it is even on Normal mode. I can be doing pretty good against Nelo Angelo (1, ha) and then slip up and he gets a good combo in and just decimates my health bar. And then I have to start the whole mission again. Maybe I should be making sure to collect all the blue orbs even on a first run-through just for that health kick.

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 18, 2013

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm playing it on DMD at the moment. Even though it's pretty much the first game in the genre, it does right what lots of games today do wrong. The bosses are so much fun on DMD. Nelo Angelo 3 took me forever, but by the end I was jumping off the tip of his sword like it's nothing.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Just finished DMC3, It was pretty fun and I see why people consider a good DMC game even if I think 4 is better.
I really don't understand why they put Cerberus in the game, he doesn't work the way the rest of the game does since he is rooted and can't be flanked. The only other boss I disliked is the penultimate one, especially the second phase. I also hate how in some levels you can get lost and just walk really far in the wrong direction.

By the way is there real way to damage Veril while he is in DT mode? or do you have to just stay away and wait it out?

I'm probably just going to play trough all the DMC games backwards since I finished 4 just before I started 3, but I think I'll skip Lucias disc in 2 because gently caress the underwater levels. Is there any reason to play through vergil mode in 3 or is it just the same levels with a different character?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just beat mission 12 and I'm having a blast. The game has been great since the first Vergil fight. More interesting levels, and fun bosses! I've been warned about the later levels but I'm hoping it's not too bad. The guitar is fun as hell to use, and makes getting SSS style meter trivial, at least against ordinary enemies!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 18, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hel posted:

By the way is there real way to damage Veril while he is in DT mode? or do you have to just stay away and wait it out?

I'm probably just going to play trough all the DMC games backwards since I finished 4 just before I started 3, but I think I'll skip Lucias disc in 2 because gently caress the underwater levels. Is there any reason to play through vergil mode in 3 or is it just the same levels with a different character?

If you attack him while he's DT, it shortens the time he spends in DT - the problem is hitting him.

You're doing yourself a favour, Lucia's disc has the worst boss in the entire franchise...aside from the Possessed Chopper, (but at least you can hit that accurately!), and it's really not worth it.

Vergil plays differently from Dante, he gets two new cutscenes at the very begining of the game, but otherwise it plays exactly the same, skips all the other cutscenes, and he can only use his starting weapons. The upside? Vergil is a loving beast.
He's slower than Dante, but hits harder, can spam summon swords while attacking melee, and can do all but the two super DT moves he uses in the final battle. It's a fun little bonus for completing Dante's stuff.

And even better, one of his alternate costumes is Nero Angelo, with DMC1 animations.

Renoistic posted:

Just beat mission 12 and I'm having a blast. The game has been great since the first Vergil fight. More interesting levels, and fun bosses! I've been warned about the later levels but I'm hoping it's not too bad. The guitar is fun as hell to use, and makes getting SSS style meter trivial, at least against ordinary enemies!

The levels do trail off somewhat, but they do make up for it in various ways. Nice to see someone rocking the gently caress out with Nevan too! :rock:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 18, 2013

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I absolutely agree with this. Although I can see why DMC3 is the best game, I am just fond of DMC1 because of the atmosphere and not-too-animesh stuff involved.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Do people usually consider Nevan to be useless against stronger enemies? It decimates enemies that trip up and fall over. Or am I just using it wrong?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

AASman posted:

Do people usually consider Nevan to be useless against stronger enemies? It decimates enemies that trip up and fall over. Or am I just using it wrong?

I've always seen it as more of an AOE weapon, yeah. It's version of Stinger in the Swordmaster style can be Crazycombo'd into something decently damaging, I think.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
DMC is the best game to me in terms of variety, because while Pandora and Lucifer were pretty cool there's really nothing as awesome as having Nevan, A&R, Cerberus, Quicksilver, Doppleganger, and Kalina Ann. I still think DMC4's overall mechanics are the most engaging, though, especially Dante because holy gently caress, five styles, three weapons and three guns. Nero is pretty awesome, too. :shepface:

Also, we might want to change the thread title so that people don't think this is the general DmC discussion thread.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have PMs, so if anybody would be willing to let a mod know I would appreciate it :shobon:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Hel posted:

I really don't understand why they put Cerberus in the game, he doesn't work the way the rest of the game does since he is rooted and can't be flanked.

I definitely disagree on this. Frequently he will be facing the wrong side of the room and you can just slap him silly from the other.

Although this might just be a common AI bug.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

SurrealityCheck posted:

I definitely disagree on this. Frequently he will be facing the wrong side of the room and you can just slap him silly from the other.

Although this might just be a common AI bug.

The boss arena is pretty much a cone with Cerberus at the point, so that you are always within 90 degrees of his front, the only exception being when he rushes forward and even then flanking him does nothing since most of his model has no hitbox. Except for the Leviathan thing, every other boss can be attacked from all 360 degrees. Honestly, He feels like Jokatglum Mark II.

Edit: Gonna have to retract that, Jokatglum is a much better Boss fight.

Hel fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 19, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just beat Arkham and I have to say, in my 7 years since I originally played DMC3 and 6 years since the Special Edition, I have never Arkham do that move where he grabs you and chews into your health. I barely beat the fight with a sliver of health left and lost most of it because those shark things still got in even when I had Kalina Ann at full firing rate and it's so dumb how you can't even Devil Trigger with Vergil, it's not like the L1 button has any dedicated function during that fight so have both of them DT for god's sake. Oh well, it's not too tough a fight so long as you can see Arkham's attacks coming and bob and weave.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it sucks you can't DT. I think the actual technical reason is that they're forcing the doppelgänger style on you with some tweaks to the AI partner to be more like Vergil.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Reached DMD in DMC4 and now I'm stuck on Mission 6 with the bullshit flying sword and lightning room fight. You can cheese the dice game easy, but that "boss" fight is loving terrible with multiple Gladii being able to chain that vertical slice on you and the lightning hazards taking like a quarter of your health if you fall/collide with them. Savior might be boring, but at least you can beat him quick once you know the trick; the only one I know for this fight is to stay close to the window to force the camera into "disabling" the enemies' attacks, but it leaves me with very little room for error with how damaging the hazards are, how resilient the boss is, and Nero's lack of air mobility.

What's killing me is I know I cleared this mission before with an S-rank, and without using items. Anyone got any advice, because that fight is driving me up the wall and I'm pissed that it's basically only half the level I'm getting stuck on.

vvv: Yeah, I'm considering that option now. Lord knows how I pulled that poo poo off before, but I guess what "counts" is that I've already done it :unsmith:

EDIT: Hah, and I still got an S due to a double Bael roll on the dice game and DMD enemies being excellent combo punching bags. gently caress it, it's the S that matters!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 21, 2013

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
My advice (and the way I passed that fight) is to spam items and suck up the lower rank. That fight is just no fun, no point in punishing yourself for a meaningless reward.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
I had no problems with that fight originally, but then when I was playing on Turbo mode on the PC, I found it had a HUGE bump in difficulty. Try turning off Turbo just for that mission if you have it on.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

AccountingNightmare posted:

I had no problems with that fight originally, but then when I was playing on Turbo mode on the PC, I found it had a HUGE bump in difficulty. Try turning off Turbo just for that mission if you have it on.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did when I got to the fight. Actually finished it again with an S by camping the central pillar and doing nothing but Charge Shots, throwing the swords at Agnus, and abusing the invincibility frames of Nero's DT. I still had to use two Vitality Stars and a Holy Water, but it was an improvement over the 10-ish Stars and 5 Holy Waters I blew by being aggressive and getting right up on the glass window.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
All this drama about DmC got me to buy the HD collection and 4. Goddamn was 3 a fun game and I finally understand the whole CRAZY PARTY meme. Wish I didn't suck so much so I could play on harder difficulties.
As for 4, I'm frankly amazed at the black magic Capcom had to perform in order to make a game made in 2008 look as good, crisp, and fluid as DMC4 looks. It's insane.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been playing through the HD collection and just reached DMD on DMC 1 after S ranking all of Hard. I'm having a hell of a time with the first Phantom fight, and I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm using Stinger when he charges his fireball, and usually using the downward slash from the air on his body besides that. Any other tips besides that, or is it just a matter of surviving long enough to kill him?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
You can bait his front leg attack and counter with a stinger. Otherwise, stick to DT'd helm breakers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Phantom is such an iconic enemy. I mean, LAVA SPIDER with SCORPION TAIL! What's not to love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
So now they're both out, could I get some opinions on how DmC's fighting style feels vs Revengeance? I know which I prefer the look of, but I've not played either of them and I'd like an opinion from someone with both.

• Locked thread