Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

I bought one of those a few months ago and am curious: can I use the any generic leads with it?

This linked HF one? http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-digital-multimeter-98674.html

If so, my Extech leads work with it fine. Those same leads also work on my Fluke, so maybe that's what's considered "generic". Mine were ordered specifically as Extech leads so I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, that one. I was looking around at Lowes and Amazon and see many leads with similar plugs. I just wasn't sure if the plugs are a standard or manufacturer specific. Sounds like they are all standard. Good to know. Thanks.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

grover posted:

I have everything up to a full $10,000 Fluke 435 at work, but just use a $20 wal-mart special for myself at home. Even that's probably about $15 more than you need to spend for residential/light hobby work, and even cheap digital multimeters are surprisingly accurate. Make sure it does AC and DC volts and ohms and you're in pretty good shape.

Nice features that you will pay for, but not necessarily break the bank on:
Clamp ammeter (AC & DC)
non-contact voltage sensor
infrared thermometer

:hfive: Just bought this one last week. My first multimeter! I'm going around checking voltage on everything!

It did successfully tell me that there is, indeed, a parasitic draw on my car when it's off. Now just have to narrow it down. It's pretty cool.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Uthor posted:

I bought one of those a few months ago and am curious: can I use the any generic leads with it?
My wal-mart, ExTech, Fluke and Amprobe meters all use compatible leads. I actually prefer to use the really cheap leads with the good meters sometimes because they have nice long exposed electrodes that I can jam into places the "safe" "professional" ones can't go.

Astroman posted:

:hfive: Just bought this one last week. My first multimeter! I'm going around checking voltage on everything!

It did successfully tell me that there is, indeed, a parasitic draw on my car when it's off. Now just have to narrow it down. It's pretty cool.
Fun, aren't they? :) Do be aware there's always a tolerance/margin of error on these meters- you can look on the package for the specs on yours, but it's generally something like "0.1 +/-2%" but it can vary, especially on the fringes of it's range. For instance, I can't accurately measure currents less than 1A with my 1000A ExTech clamp ammeter- just letting it sit there on my desk, it'll say there's 0.8A flowing, which clearly isn't true. But it'll read a couple hundred amps within 0.1A of a really high-dollar calibrated fluke.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 16, 2013

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Some meters have slightly smaller plugs which make it harder to push the leads in, but I doubt you will find any that won't fit at all.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

True rms is key too.

Is this true for mostly automotive stuff? I'm still not clear on when it will be needed, but it seemed like non-car AC stuff.

At first, I was looking at 2 that had True RMS.
$54.98 Extech EX430 True RMS Autoranging Multimeter with K Type, Capacitance, Frequency, and Duty Cycle
http://www.amazon.com/Extech-EX430-Autoranging-Multimeter-Capacitance/dp/B0000WU1AC/

$62.96 - Amprobe AM-530 TRMS Electrical Contractor Multimeter with Non-Contact Voltage Detector and Temperature
http://www.amazon.com/Amprobe-AM-530-Electrical-Non-Contact-Temperature/dp/B007FZFE9K/

Then I kept reading how most people are happy with their cheaper meters for basic needs. I think I'm going to go with this:
$30.99 Mastech MS8268 Digital AC/DC Auto/Manual Range Digital Multimeter Meter
http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-MS8268-Digital-Manual-Multimeter/dp/B0050LVFS0/

It seems like I'll be needing to save some cash for leads anyway. Are there any useful leads that are often bought separately?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Alligator clips if your meter doesn't come with them.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

E30User posted:

Is this true for mostly automotive stuff? I'm still not clear on when it will be needed, but it seemed like non-car AC stuff.
Yeah there's not really anything in a car to use it on, and if there was, you probably wouldn't be using a multimeter for it anyways.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
True, but you have a house/apartment, right?

That Extech for $55 is a pretty good deal if you need TRMS.

If not, a cheap piece of HF crap will be fine if you just need "~12v, or continuity here" and "Nope, no voltage/continuity here".

I've got a 20 year old Craftsman that I use in the garage, and a set of Milwaukee TRMS/Amp clamp meters for the house.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
If you are doing all automotive work a Power Probe might be a better solution. My mechanic friends use theirs about 20x as much as they use their multimeters. The new Power Probe 3s have a voltage gauge built in.

http://www.powerprobe.com/pp3.php

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

PBCrunch posted:

If you are doing all automotive work a Power Probe might be a better solution. My mechanic friends use theirs about 20x as much as they use their multimeters. The new Power Probe 3s have a voltage gauge built in.

http://www.powerprobe.com/pp3.php

Power Probes are awesome. Expensive, but awesome.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

Astroman posted:

Assuming that you're not driving a 48 Chevy, the parasitic draw you detected might be your radio or PCM retaining power. Try this method: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133226

camino fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 17, 2013

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

~20-30 milliamps is usually considered acceptable in a modern car.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I should have asked here instead of the stupid questions thread. Is the 14point7 AFR kit the best value for money still? I'd really like one for diagnostic purposes on lots of things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stevobob posted:

~20-30 milliamps is usually considered acceptable in a modern car.

And 600-800 in many luxobarges.

And that's after an hour of being shut off. Many cars will draw quite a bit more for 10/15/20/30 minutes or more before various systems end up in "sleep" mode. So be sure of what you're looking at before you drive yourself crazy trying to find a problem that might not be there.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I had a battery drain issue with a brand-new battery at 250. How in the world could a car take 800ma parked in sleep?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

I had a battery drain issue with a brand-new battery at 250. How in the world could a car take 800ma parked in sleep?

All I can say is....Cadillac.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

revmoo posted:

Something probably keeping one of the computers awake. Start pulling fuses while watching your meter and see which makes the draw drop.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

revmoo posted:

Key off drain.

Edit: Do what the post above me said. Also check to make sure the battery and terminals are properly secured. If you see corrosion, you can wash it off with coca cola. Lastly check your alternator by running your car and looking at the meter. It should read somewhere around 14 volts.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

All I can say is....Cadillac.

Yep. This is the god drat truth.

I actually fixed the god drat leak in my car. Turns out it was a relay that had been causing my issues. It was just enough to not cause another system to go to sleep. And then that in turn cause another system to stay awake.

So yes, check your relays as well. Some times poo poo wont sleep correctly.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I fixed the issue, see my E36 thread. The point was that 250ma was enough to drain a brand new battery in 1-2 nights. I refuse to believe ANY car can draw 8/10 of an amp sleeping and not drain the battery.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Did anyone else buy an obdII scanner from that newegg deal? The pin wasn't on the cd, and so far 0000, 1234, and 6789 haven't worked. I'd check the newegg comments but they took down the product page.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

I fixed the issue, see my E36 thread. The point was that 250ma was enough to drain a brand new battery in 1-2 nights. I refuse to believe ANY car can draw 8/10 of an amp sleeping and not drain the battery.

Yeah...I just looked back and post wasn't very clear. 800 before going to sleep. 800 ma draw will drain a 650/750 CCA battery under what it will take to start again in about 3 days.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

thebigcow posted:

Did anyone else buy an obdII scanner from that newegg deal? The pin wasn't on the cd, and so far 0000, 1234, and 6789 haven't worked. I'd check the newegg comments but they took down the product page.
The pin for this one is 6789, if this is what you have.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I tried it again after work and 1234 worked fine. :iiam:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thebigcow posted:

I tried it again after work and 1234 worked fine. :iiam:

Some of them only stay in pairing mode (or sometimes even discoverable) for so long after being powered up. Maybe it had passed that amount of time when you tried before.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So multimeters are a new thing to me. I've had a really lovely $5 one that I got for free that I use to check "does it have voltage?" on the lemons car. Right now I badly need to diagnose my parasitic drain on my german luxobarge. I imagine it's things not going to sleep, but I need an idiot-proof multimeter that I can hook up to the battery and it will say, "here's your current flow!" Or at least comes with a manual that tells me how to read that. Looking through all the one's you guys just happened to be discussing earlier in the page, I can't really tell one from the other. I'd like to spend less than $50, closer to $30? I think the main thing that confuses me is all the symbols, my free one never came with a manual :(.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deceptor101 posted:

So multimeters are a new thing to me. I've had a really lovely $5 one that I got for free that I use to check "does it have voltage?" on the lemons car. Right now I badly need to diagnose my parasitic drain on my german luxobarge. I imagine it's things not going to sleep, but I need an idiot-proof multimeter that I can hook up to the battery and it will say, "here's your current flow!" Or at least comes with a manual that tells me how to read that. Looking through all the one's you guys just happened to be discussing earlier in the page, I can't really tell one from the other. I'd like to spend less than $50, closer to $30? I think the main thing that confuses me is all the symbols, my free one never came with a manual :(.

The one you have would appear to be able to do just that....to the extent that any other one can. It looks like it has a DC amp setting.

Just google "how to test for parasitc draw", watch some youtube videos and ask if you need more information. You have a knowledge deficiency, not a tool deficiency. And you can fix that for free.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Found a video, feel a lot more confident now. The worry is if the tool is up to the draw of the bigger circuits. Now I understand what more of the numbers and symbols mean too! Once I find the drawing circuit, I get to open up my 2" thick E39 Bentley Electrical manual.....

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Deceptor101 posted:

Found a video, feel a lot more confident now. The worry is if the tool is up to the draw of the bigger circuits. Now I understand what more of the numbers and symbols mean too! Once I find the drawing circuit, I get to open up my 2" thick E39 Bentley Electrical manual.....
:science: Just don't try and measure starting current and you're most likely gonna be fine. Worst case, you're out a $5 multimeter.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yup don't try to start it or use a power window/sunroof and you should be fine. Avoid the locks to be safe also.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Anybody have any experience with Blue Point stuff? Considering getting a roll cart this week.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=allll&item_ID=743162&group_ID=681837&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
(Snap-On guy wants to unload it on me for 350)
I know its China and everything and that tool storage is never an investment. But somehow I want to believe its better quality than Craftsman for basically the same price. I also want a cart I can sit on for obvious reasons.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

grover posted:

:science: Just don't try and measure starting current and you're most likely gonna be fine. Worst case, you're out a $5 multimeter.
The fuse on that multimeter is 10A; AFAIK the only thing that's going to be too much is the starter, although I'm sure I'll get a dozen other things on an auto that routinely draw more.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Just bought myself this set:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/combo-kits/2696-29

And a 240v charger because the kit i bought from the US is 110v... paid $1195 for the kit, $80 for the charger, and the RRP of the kit in Australia is anywhere from $1600 to $1800!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Preoptopus posted:

Anybody have any experience with Blue Point stuff? Considering getting a roll cart this week.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=allll&item_ID=743162&group_ID=681837&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
(Snap-On guy wants to unload it on me for 350)
I know its China and everything and that tool storage is never an investment. But somehow I want to believe its better quality than Craftsman for basically the same price. I also want a cart I can sit on for obvious reasons.

Get the HF cart. Seriously. It is incredibly well built, and sells for $150. You can add a better side table or can storage for a lot less than $200.

Or get the BP, it'll sell for more money if you want to sell.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

nmfree posted:

The fuse on that multimeter is 10A; AFAIK the only thing that's going to be too much is the starter, although I'm sure I'll get a dozen other things on an auto that routinely draw more.

Usually the 10A is unfused. Kick it too hard and it's dead. I grabbed one of these when it was $9. It works for tracking down parasitic draw just as easily, and if I pop the fuse, I just need to replace the fuse.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

sharkytm posted:

Get the HF cart. Seriously. It is incredibly well built, and sells for $150. You can add a better side table or can storage for a lot less than $200.

Or get the BP, it'll sell for more money if you want to sell.

The US General they have at HF feels like it will fall apart once I drag it over the drain that runs down the middle of the shop. I dont know if the display model is just built like poo poo or if its the actual quality... Either way Im scared to trust it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have been pleased with my HF carts. Maybe you need to tighten up the bolts? I swapped all mine to lock nuts and never had a problem since then.

Also the normal price of 700 for Snap-On cart and the drat thing isn't assembled? That's crap.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

West SAAB Story posted:

Usually the 10A is unfused. Kick it too hard and it's dead. I grabbed one of these when it was $9. It works for tracking down parasitic draw just as easily, and if I pop the fuse, I just need to replace the fuse.

That actually looks pretty handy. I used min yesterday and got about 2/3 of the way through when i had to stop. Only thing is I think the scale is messed up, or I have a 30 Amp parasitic draw.... It went down to 6 after I pulled the fuel pump fuse, but then didn't go back up after I put it back in. It needs more work. I bought the $30 one someone linked earlier on amazon. looks to be the exact same as the $45 HF one. That being said I may also pick up this fuse tester at my local HF tonight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Deceptor101 posted:

That being said I may also pick up this fuse tester at my local HF tonight...

Make sure you get the right one. They were selling the ATM as the ATC for a long time (its a smaller fuse).

E: They're now offering a 30A ATC one as well for the same price, guess they never got their staff to figure out the difference between the two 20s. :v:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 23, 2013