Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Ill be honest I'm kind of glad we have a winter season up in the Northeast. It gives my bank account a few months to recover a bit each year.

And i've got a Bell helmet too and it fits well and is plenty comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

the spyder posted:

Figured this is the best place to ask: I need a new helmet. What are you running and why do you like it?

Another vote for the HJC AR-10 II. I tried on a bunch at the store and the HJC fit my head the best. I have a friend with a Stilo and that is a nice helmet.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

the spyder posted:

Figured this is the best place to ask: I need a new helmet. What are you running and why do you like it?

Zamp becuase it was cheap, SA2010 and fit. I like it so far, no issues for autocross or HPDE.
http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2032.htm

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Awesome! My 12yr old helmet needs to be replaced before I can do another track event. Same with my old harnesses. There goes another $700... Gotta love this sport.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

the spyder posted:

Awesome! My 12yr old helmet needs to be replaced before I can do another track event. Same with my old harnesses. There goes another $700... Gotta love this sport.

You can reweb the harnesses and save a bit.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

How do you like these guys compared to Hooked On Driving? I need to go back to Thunderhill at least twice this year, hopefully.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

the spyder posted:

I also got the Zamp. If I get more serious into track events I'll definately be getting a better one but it's not as bad as you would think for the price that it is. The visor is the worst part and the SA2010 is the best part after price.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Get the lightest possible helmet for auto racing, the strain a cheap and heavy helmet puts on your neck is worlds apart from a Kevlar or carbon fiber helmet weighing 1/3 - 1/2 as much. I love my HJC AR10 (original), its a great helmet and not the worst thing to work on by putting a radio in, and you can mix and match pads (XXS to M is one shell size, L to XXL is another), I run L headcap and XL cheek pads in mine. Stilo helmets do not have removable pads and are assembled with a glue similar to superglue and they tear like crazy if you dismantle the fabric sections. The HJC Si helmets are alright, but lose the removable cheekpads and hence are annoying to own.

HJC makes the best cost/value helmets, Pyrotect is the worst. Bell is a terrible value for a gilded Pyrotect, Arai is beyond expensive and not amazing. Impact! got in deep poo poo for making their own SFI stickers, bypassing the SFI Foundation's licensing fees and supposedly their certification system. A very poor decision and not one that should be forgotten anytime soon. Simpson is also not that great for performance/value. Peltor's helmets are nice, but expensive.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 19, 2013

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

sig11 posted:

Awesome! What club? I run mostly with 3Balls Racing and NASA but have hit a few BMWCCA and PCA event too.

It's actually the mid-ohio school performance driving course. The way I understood it is you had to take the two courses in order to go to a regular lapping day.But I'm new to this stuff.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Keyser S0ze posted:

How do you like these guys compared to Hooked On Driving? I need to go back to Thunderhill at least twice this year, hopefully.

Track group reviews:

Hooked on Driving is very expensive (well in excess of $250 per event), but also very safe and well organized. Particularly good for first-timers. Run groups not too large
NASA is not as expensive, has a lot of serious racers to learn from, and you'll see lots of action in the open passing group. Lots of really dedicated staff. Stringent (and expensive, if you do it at the track) tech inspections. I've been in some massive massive run groups with NASA (e.g. 30+ cars at Infineon), which is annoying but then you also learn to drive in traffic
Speed Ventures is predominantly SoCal but sometimes they'll have events up in the Bay Area. Cheaper than the first two, casual no bullshit atmosphere. Aaron, the proprietor, is cool to chat with. I love Speed Ventures
NCRC priced around the same as Speed Ventures, tends to be somewhat more uptight about things but less so than the first two. They're kind of middle of the road for me but you can't beat a reasonably priced day at Laguna :)
Extreme Speed is extremely cheap and typically holds events at Willow Springs (both Streets and Big Willow). I think the staff gets overwhelmed sometimes. Avoid unless you absolutely have to attend
Trackmasters comes highly recommended from a friend of mine - I attended an event at Laguna last year but don't have much recollection

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NCRC is may favorite track day provider. So cheap.
NCRC is not as newbie friendly as more expensive providers. I also am not in love with their passing rules as they progress. But not bad, attracts a great crowd (the NCRC Lseca event I went to had an F40.), and deals with douchebags quickly.

NCRC is way cheaper than Speed Ventures. Speed ventures wants $150 for buttonwillow. NCRC is $99. $200 for the Roval is a joke, though I suspect that is more a function of the costs of the Roval than speed ventures.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 21, 2013

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

SpellEdge posted:

It's actually the mid-ohio school performance driving course. The way I understood it is you had to take the two courses in order to go to a regular lapping day.But I'm new to this stuff.

Ahhh. I would love to go to that school just to see what what I would learn. You only need that to go to their school lapping days... you can go with a club with no experience at all.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've done BMCCA and HOD events at Thunderhill along with some SCCA auto-x at various NCAL locations. I do like the fact that the BMWCCA events require newbs to at least take their Car Control Clinic first (I did the Marina, CA one back in 2008) and get a proper inspection but yeah, it's pricy.

HOD I liked a lot and they were quick to sign you off solo if you weren't a tweaker or obviously deranged. I targeted their Friday events as they were much lighter in attendance and you could get in many sessions.

I will keep NCRC in mind although have concerns with open passing if there are a bunch of moufbreathers in 80's Camaro's there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Got my RACE wheels and tires mounted... now to finish the rest of the car and to tell my roommate & gf that "no, the tires need to stay inside":

Only registered members can see post attachments!

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Keyser S0ze posted:

I will keep NCRC in mind although have concerns with open passing if there are a bunch of moufbreathers in 80's Camaro's there.

Everyone was well behaved at Laguna Seca today. No Camaros but then there was a sweet Firebird

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Keyser S0ze posted:

Doesn't really attract that crowd. However, you can chose a lower run group and get more restrictive passing rules (I do this).
They basically sell everything out, so they have no problems kicking jackasses, which I think is an issue with some other providers.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

nm posted:

They basically sell everything out, so they have no problems kicking jackasses, which I think is an issue with some other providers.

You don't get a refund for breaking the rules. :P Not that I've ever seen anyone asked to leave an event. I can't imagine what someone would do to get kicked out.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

c355n4 posted:

Few more months before our season starts out here. :(

The other race car is almost done. Just a few small things to button up.

Some things buttoned up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
God drat that looks new.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
That looks incredible.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Wish I had a garage that big. :)

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

sig11 posted:

Wish I had a garage that big. :)

Me too. We're doing the work at a friend's shop - Entropy Racing. Looks like we'll be testing the car at VIR in March!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Take one CRX with no motor

Strip it of everything usable and good

Get another CRX Si with a motor and trans

Put them together and 2.5 months later you have this. Ready for sprint races and enduros. A big goal is to run The Devil in the Dark 12hr; but, that will most likely be in 2014 after we've shaken the car down and worked out the bugs. I'd really love to run the 25 Hours of Thunderhill.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 24, 2013

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Don't really know if anyone is interested in this but I think it seems pretty cool. Rally School in Austin, Tx. Apparently the guy that runs it is supposed to be well known in the Rally America series. I wanted to try to get into rally but financial and time constraints have paused that. Trying to get my prelude track day ready, can't wait for that tax return. Maybe sometime circuit of the americas will have open track days.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

laymil posted:

Me too. We're doing the work at a friend's shop - Entropy Racing. Looks like we'll be testing the car at VIR in March!

With who? :ninja:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Yes, with who? :ninja:

I'm eyeing Star Specs are Tire Rack. They are supposed to be on closeout, but it looks more like a JCPenney "sale". One dollar less per tire than the new ZII is not a deal!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I believe it is Mar 2nd/3rd with Chin Motorsports. I've never driven VIR so this should be interesting. New car, new track.

Anyone else gonna be there?

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 24, 2013

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

c355n4 posted:

I believe it is Mar 2nd/3rd with Chin Motorsports. I've never driven VIR so this should be interesting. New car, new track.

Anyone else gonna be there?

It is.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Yes, with who? :ninja:

I'm eyeing Star Specs are Tire Rack. They are supposed to be on closeout, but it looks more like a JCPenney "sale". One dollar less per tire than the new ZII is not a deal!
With the new BFG Rival coming out and rumored to be as good and possibly better than the ZII (which already looks fantastic), could be a very tough choice. When's Bridgestone's RE11 replacement coming out, isn't that rumored to be soon, too?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Chin motorsports are a bunch of you know who's and my leather interior better not be damaged by some fat rear end instructor and I want my membership fee back

But for reals, I'm going to be down the road (literally 15 miles) at an autocross.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
MY LEATHERS
I've never talked to anyone personally that's done a Chin trackday, but they really seem to run it fast and loose from what I have heard secondhand. Maybe you get a lot of seat time, but $500 is still a lot. AND they charge for instructors? Pffffffft.
GOOD LUCK let us know how it goes and if your seats survive.

grover posted:

With the new BFG Rival coming out and rumored to be as good and possibly better than the ZII (which already looks fantastic), could be a very tough choice. When's Bridgestone's RE11 replacement coming out, isn't that rumored to be soon, too?

I was just hoping for cheap tires, then buy a dozen.
For some reason, the new tires are neglecting my 245/45-17 size. ZIIs got it, RS-3s don't, Rivals won't, don't know about Bridgestone's next but at $250 each for RE-11s I think it might be worth it to just get a spec tire. ARGH

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are where it's at:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=445YR7PSSXL&tab=Sizes

You might actually get more than 10k miles out of a set too. :P

I have no idea if they're actually awesome or not

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

GreaseGunner posted:

Don't really know if anyone is interested in this but I think it seems pretty cool. Rally School in Austin, Tx. Apparently the guy that runs it is supposed to be well known in the Rally America series.

Looks pretty legit, especially the start-with-FWD philosophy and endorsement of Wyatt Knox of Team O'Neil in NH.
Corn is friends with Eintier.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Phone posted:

Chin motorsports are a bunch of you know who's and my leather interior better not be damaged by some fat rear end instructor and I want my membership fee back

But for reals, I'm going to be down the road (literally 15 miles) at an autocross.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

MY LEATHERS
I've never talked to anyone personally that's done a Chin trackday, but they really seem to run it fast and loose from what I have heard secondhand. Maybe you get a lot of seat time, but $500 is still a lot. AND they charge for instructors? Pffffffft.
GOOD LUCK let us know how it goes and if your seats survive.

Should be interesting. I've always done events with Independent Motorsports Group or NASA/SCCA. I'll definitely report back.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

This is beautiful. Kosei K1 club for life :hfive:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I was just hoping for cheap tires, then buy a dozen.
For some reason, the new tires are neglecting my 245/45-17 size. ZIIs got it, RS-3s don't, Rivals won't, don't know about Bridgestone's next but at $250 each for RE-11s I think it might be worth it to just get a spec tire. ARGH

Not tracking the e30? That's one of the big reasons that I gave up on the GTO for performance driving duty, there just wasn't anywhere near the support for it as there was for the Miata.

I do miss the hell out of the power though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Then you pass an M3 or Corvette and think about doing more... with less.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Then you get out of the novice groups.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

FatCow posted:

Then you get out of the novice groups.

For reals though. Once people in a given run group have comparable driving skills (DE4/TT), cars typically run laptimes like they "should." The only real surprises you get are the oddball trackday cars with unpredictable motor swaps and overclocked boost buggies that punch way out of their weightclasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
The E30's not mine, I only get to drive it when we split time and I drop to DE2. And it's track days are numbered if not done for already. It being a 4cyl, way down on power, we'll get run over in higher run groups. Cars are just getting FAST.

We've bought our own separate cars to turn into no holds barred track toys now. Hopefully we can get them to an event this year, but I need a stop gap either way.