Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Cheap Trick posted:

Fire Emblem: Awakening and Etrian Odyssey IV are also exceptions to this rule (checked within 2 minutes of this post). The former will show up on the eShop, and the latter can be ordered from other import-friendly shops like Video Games Plus.

Wait, Etrian Odyssey 4 isn't getting an eShop release? I have to admit, that was a big selling point for me. This slightly dampens my enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It definitely is getting an eShop release.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone own both a DSi-XL and a 3DS XL? How do they compare in size and weight?

Considering getting one, but this is a complete frivolous luxury at this point, and I still have 5 or 6 old DS games to play through first.

Are there any 'mature' games coming for the 3DS soon? By mature, I mean games that aren't designed for children. Of the entire catalogue on DS, there are literally about 15 games I care to play.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It definitely is getting an eShop release.

Then Christmas is back on!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BadAstronaut posted:

Are there any 'mature' games coming for the 3DS soon? By mature, I mean games that aren't designed for children. Of the entire catalogue on DS, there are literally about 15 games I care to play.

You're gonna have to be way more specific.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BadAstronaut posted:

I had both (at the same time) and sold the DSiXL because there is zero reason to keep it around. The "washed-out"ness of DS games on the 3DS is seriously exaggerated by the internet, I used the pixel-perfect mode once and haven't used it since. As for weight, they felt about the same to me, the 3DSXL is just a tad heftier but I like it. I've got relatively big hands and I think the rounded edges make it much more comfortable.

BadAstronaut posted:

So you like one out of every ~200 games released on the DS, sure you want to buy another Nintendo handheld? (Also you sound completely insufferable.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks for the very quick judgement (insufferable? hah, wow.) there, champ.

What I meant, and sorry for offending you by having my own preferences, and what I managed to convey just fine on these forums ages ago without any such responses when asking about DS games themselves, was that I was finding a lot of the games very kid-oriented or designed with a child/very young adult audience in mind. It was difficult for me, as a gamer now in my early 30's, to really enjoy the DS games lineup to the full because there seemed to be little in the way of games created purely for an adult market. People who were kid gamers in the 80's, teenage gamers in the 90s and still playing games today, specifically - I didn't find this to be as much of an issue on the GBA where there seemed to be a much larger spread of games on offer catering for different ages/tastes.

DS titles I am talking about include Hotel Dusk, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Fire Emblem, Civ: Revolutions, Age of Empires Mythologies... these games that don't have the often very juvenile character portraits, childish dialogue etc that so many of the other games have. Even Dragon Quest IX, which I absolutely adored, bordered on the silly and childish, but that is part of the franchise and the game itself was excellent enough for the rest not to matter.

Again, goony goons, please don't read this as an attack on what you like. This is me asking if there is much coming up that fits my tastes (on PC I enjoy the likes of Fallout New Vegas, the Baldur's Gate/Planescape:Torment style games, Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic (I have Clash of Heroes on DS), Neverwinter Nights, Warhammer 40k, XCom, etc).

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

BadAstronaut posted:

Again, goony goons, please don't read this as an attack on what you like. This is me asking if there is much coming up that fits my tastes (on PC I enjoy the likes of Fallout New Vegas, the Baldur's Gate/Planescape:Torment style games, Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic (I have Clash of Heroes on DS), Neverwinter Nights, Warhammer 40k, XCom, etc).

Well, as a fellow over-30 fellow, I'd say Etrian Odyssey (IV) and Fire Emblem might fit your bill - that is, if you can tolerate the anime graphics. Also, if you're not into anime plots, then your money should be on EO. And if you're still feeling old... err, there's always sport games, like Pro Evolution Soccer. And puzzles, like Professor Layton.

The most "adult" title would be "Virtues Last Reward", which is the sequel to 999.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 24, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks - yeah the graphics of Fire Emblem have never really been a problem because the core gameplay is solid enough strategy. Never tried Etrian Odyssey - that's the first person dungeon crawler where you have to map for yourself, right? Never heard of or tried Virtues Last Reward or 999, so will look them up. Thank you sir.

EDIT: Wah-hey, this is exciting! The promise of an old-school Metroidvania title, Castlevania: Mirror of Fate might be one well worth picking up. I always enjoyed these games. Bummer there was no traditional Metroid game for DS - will there be one for 3DS, do you know?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 24, 2013

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011

nerdpony posted:

Over the past few days, I've noticed a weird problem with my 3DS. Sometimes when I've opened it after taking it off the cradle, the screen has been dark and I've had to hold down the power button until it shuts off and then turn it back on to get it working. After this, no problems. This doesn't happen every time, but it's happened enough times to make me worry a little bit. :ohdear:

Anyone else had this problem? I got the 3DS last August, so I think it should still be under warranty.

Happens to me too all the time. It's not a cradle problem, it's some kind of a weird hardware glitch, when no matter what you do, the system won't recognise that the lid is open, and stay in sleep mode until restart. Rest assured that aside the annoying need to restart the system, it's not that big of a problem, as it only happen when the console is in sleep mode. As long as you keep saving before closing the lid, the worst that can happen is losing a few streetpasses.

In my case, it helps when i close the lid while in the home menu and there's a game / app open in the background. I found that it drops the chances for the system-lock significantly.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

BadAstronaut posted:

Bummer there was no traditional Metroid game for DS - will there be one for 3DS, do you know?

No, but you can buy from the eshop and play the original Metroid on virtual console.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BadAstronaut posted:

EDIT: Wah-hey, this is exciting! The promise of an old-school Metroidvania title, Castlevania: Mirror of Fate might be one well worth picking up. I always enjoyed these games.

Mirror of Fate is not a metroidvania, nor is it in the old-school NES style.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks for the very quick judgement (insufferable? hah, wow.) there, champ.

Because "childish" is not a category of games. You discount almost all of the DS library as "designed for children" because you don't know any better. It's not about "goony goons" or being butthurt that you don't like the same things we do, it's that you literally waltz in here saying "I want mature games for mature gamers such as myself" without giving any detail what you actually mean by that. If you can stand Dragon Quest, for example, there are dozens of games that use the same style of narrative. You even said it "borders on childish" for you, but you endured it because the game is so excellent?

If you can accept DQs quirks for what they are, there's no reason why you couldn't play Ghost Trick, Devil Survivor (2), FF Tactics and quite a few other games that other people might consider "childish" because to them, only war shooters are games for grownups. I'm sure some people consider Clash of Heroes to be a dumb game for babbies, too. Instead of making it seem like you fall into that category, you could have asked for strategy games/puzzles, action games, visual novels and RPGs that aren't too silly because that seems to be your interest.

I'm willing to bet that you missed a whole bunch of great DS games due to your judgment. Look into Dawn of Discovery (Anno), Picross 3D, Ghost Trick, Chrono Trigger, the Layton series (this one might not be for you, to be fair) and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for the 3DS.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

BadAstronaut posted:

It was difficult for me, as a gamer now in my early 30's, to really enjoy the DS games lineup to the full because there seemed to be little in the way of games created purely for an adult market.

This is me asking if there is much coming up that fits my tastes (on PC I enjoy the likes of Fallout New Vegas, the Baldur's Gate/Planescape:Torment style games, Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic (I have Clash of Heroes on DS), Neverwinter Nights, Warhammer 40k, XCom, etc).

None of those games were created for an adult market.

You might want to check out the 3DS Ghost Recon game (Shadow Wars, I think?), which is a turn-based strategy game that shares some significant overlap with the original X-com team. It's surprisingly solid, though a little buggy. I also really like the Professor Layton series. It has a great vintage look and really devious puzzles. There's also a new Shin Megami Tensei (the parent series to the more popular Persona franchise) coming out in April, which is a series that has a reputation for its dark, twisted artwork and excruciating difficulty.

And the Castlevania game they're making for the 3DS is going to be a terrible God of War clone, don't be excited for it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Mirror of Fate is not a metroidvania, nor is it in the old-school NES style.

Aw. :smith:

I saw this from Kotaku "The New 3DS Castlevania Brings Back Metroidvania In Lovely 3D" - but looking again the article was from June last year. That sucks.

So it is going to be more like the N64 version, then? That wasn't too bad, was it?

Katana Gomai posted:

Because "childish" is not a category of games. and some other :words: including "waltz in here".

Never said that "childish" is a category of games. This conversation is crazy. You misinterpreted my original post, no need to carry on down this line. I'm not a dickhead, don't worry about it.

Loved most of Chrono Trigger by the way - a very good game.

Sarchasm posted:

None of those games were created for an adult market.

Kinda splitting hairs here, sir. I think you understand exactly what I mean by adult market. Read that as more adult market if it helps. I definitely don't believe those games were designed for the same market as, say, Kingdom Hearts and Monster Hunter - I am sure it is very easy to understand exactly what I am asking, but I have unfortunately upset some people here by using hurtful words that upset them. Sorry, all.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 24, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Never said it "childish" is a category of games. This conversation is crazy. You misinterpreted my original post, no need to carry on down this line. I'm not a dickhead, don't worry about it.

To be fair, I tried to convey that I thought you made yourself sound like one, not that you are one. Didn't mean to offend, you are still free to check out the games I recommended v:v:v

Also never click Kotaku and/or trust anything they say. :shobon:

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

So I've decided to import in another 3DS (either XL or regular) as waiting for games to come out in PAL land sucks and have turned to Amazon like recommended. The thing is, it seems like most of the 3DS for sale there don't seem to want to ship to Australia, with an error message popping up come checkout time.
It's probably came up a lot in the old thread, but are there any other places that are as cheap as Amazon that will actually send to Australia? I know Play Asia does the shipping, but their prices are absurd.
I've already sperged out and preordered the new FIre Emblem so I guess worse comes to worse I'll resort to PlayAsia.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Also never click Kotaku and/or trust anything they say. :shobon:

Yeah I think this is an important point, but it was unfortunately what I saw as one of the first links when I searched for that title :( .

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hortism posted:

It's probably came up a lot in the old thread, but are there any other places that are as cheap as Amazon that will actually send to Australia?

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BadAstronaut posted:

Aw. :smith:

I saw this from Kotaku "The New 3DS Castlevania Brings Back Metroidvania In Lovely 3D" - but looking again the article was from June last year. That sucks.

So it is going to be more like the N64 version, then? That wasn't too bad, was it?

Mirror of Fate is by the same team that made the recent Castlevania game for PS3/360; that game is a modern action game with light adventure elements, comparable to God of War, and the 3DS game is basically the same thing but turned sideways. It might turn out okay but it's definitely cut from a different cloth than the GBA/DS games.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Thanks for this. Shipping is rather steep, but when it factors in to the whole cost of the console it's probably still cheaper than buying a new one here.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Then Christmas is back on!

Whoops, I should have posted with more clarity. I'm ordering a physical copy of Etrian Odyssey IV because of the music and art pre-order bonuses.

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 24, 2013

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Hortism posted:

Thanks for this. Shipping is rather steep, but when it factors in to the whole cost of the console it's probably still cheaper than buying a new one here.

Check ebay.com too. You might be able to get a system close to full price without paying too much extra for shipping.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

BadAstronaut posted:

3dsxl is slightly less wide (DSIXL has like, slanted edges that make it bigger)
3Dsxl is about the same depth, perhaps a couple of mill shorter (again, iXL has slanted side)
3dsxl is perhaps 1mm thinner, but i'd say its the same.
Weight feels about the same, 3ds being perhaps a touch heavier but not really noticable.

Looking at them both sat it, it looks like the dsixl is bigger, but I think its mostly down to the shape of the shell.

So yeah, I'd say any size/weight diff is minute at best. :)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Something I just heard elsewhere, Super C, the VC title just released, has local multiplayer with only one copy of the game required.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Junkie Disease posted:

Now I have a question. Will the Luigis Dark Moon multiplayer just be nintendolands ghost hunt? Because that would rock.

Joystiq just posted an article about one of the multiplayer modes. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/24/the-multiplayer-scarescraper-of-luigis-mansion-dark-moon/

quote:

The goal in Hunter mode is to work together to clear each floor of ghosts and advance to the next level. Sometimes this involves getting ghosts out of the objects they're hiding in, or finding hidden keys to open locked halls where more ghouls lurk. Since every floor of the tower is a randomly generated set of rooms and obstacles, no two sessions will be alike. The random placement of ghosts, keys, tools, healing hearts, and traps makes every new floor potentially treacherous, and some high-health spook encounters make coordinated multi-Poltergust teamwork a must on higher difficulties.

It also states there is online play.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Captain Hair posted:

3dsxl is slightly less wide (DSIXL has like, slanted edges that make it bigger)
3Dsxl is about the same depth, perhaps a couple of mill shorter (again, iXL has slanted side)
3dsxl is perhaps 1mm thinner, but i'd say its the same.
Weight feels about the same, 3ds being perhaps a touch heavier but not really noticable.

Looking at them both sat it, it looks like the dsixl is bigger, but I think its mostly down to the shape of the shell.

So yeah, I'd say any size/weight diff is minute at best. :)

Cool, thanks. Sounds good to me.

Pretty convinced there is some cool stuff on the system, and hey, Nintendo. Now I just need a raise, a bonus, anything, so I can justify this. :saddowns:

£169.99 from Amazon including Mario Kart, huh? Hmmmm....

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 24, 2013

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
By the way, in the 3rd post I linked a DSiXL case as a good case for the 3DS XL. Basically all DSiXL cases will work since they're the same size, so if you already have anything in that vein then you're golden.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

hey hey hey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgBmp44ld_o

Nintendo just posted this

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Missed opportunity for a Waluigi palette swap. The pink one is close, and yet so far.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Four Luigis. That's all I need! :allears:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Also, "Floor 1 Cleared" should say "Floor 1 Cleaned". They don't use vacuum cleaners for nothing.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I just found this out: since Amazon sells 3DS hardware via fulfillment (meaning other companies are supplying the units while Amazon handles the actual selling/shipping), the supplier for 3DS units can change, sometimes several times a day. This means that the price of 3DSes on Amazon will jump around a bit, as I saw today when the price of a 3DS XL briefly went down to $190, then jumped back up to ~$203 before I could act on it :negative:

(I have Amazon gift credit and a tight budget so I basically have to use Amazon for this purchase)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Another Luigi's Mansion multi article: http://www.destructoid.com/first-look-at-luigi-s-mansion-dark-moon-s-multiplayer-242814.phtml

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Um, I think I've convinced myself to get one of these, probably a month from now for February's pay day. I really dislike the sound of region locking but from what I can tell that conversation has been run into the ground here so I won't harp on about it.

What about the virtual shop - do they have different game options depending on region or is most stuff available?

Also, what site(s) is/are generally considered a good source of news on Nintendo/3DS gaming?

EDIT:
Is this IGN release date a joke?

Fire Emblem
Release Date:
UK: Dec 31, 2013

:smith:

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 24, 2013

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
So, after seeing a decent deal for the XL ($180 and a game for $10, wish I'd seen the Target deal :( ) I picked one up to replace my broken DSlite (bed frames dropping on your handheld game consoles are bad).

My question is, other than the Hori screen protectors, are there any recommendations for smartphone-style protective cases and game storage? I see a lot of stuff on amazon, but I don't want to drop cash on something that's just going not fit/fall off/snap like cheap porcelain. Years of owning smartphones has conditioned me to immediately put screen protectors on my touchscreens due to how oily and gross
my hands are.

Zest fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 24, 2013

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

BadAstronaut posted:

Um, I think I've convinced myself to get one of these, probably a month from now for February's pay day. I really dislike the sound of region locking but from what I can tell that conversation has been run into the ground here so I won't harp on about it.

What about the virtual shop - do they have different game options depending on region or is most stuff available?

Also, what site(s) is/are generally considered a good source of news on Nintendo/3DS gaming?

I don't know a ton about different region stuff, but I will say this thread is the best place for 3DS news. Seriously. I frequent GiantBomb, Penny Arcade Report, Polygon, Unwinnable, Destructoid, Nightmare Mode, etc, and a lot of people here do too. Goons are pretty incredible aggregators. Any Nintendo-exclusive site gets pretty sychophantic in my mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

EDIT:
Is this IGN release date a joke?

Fire Emblem
Release Date:
UK: Dec 31, 2013

:smith:
I haven't seen any official release date for the UK, I've heard 'April 2013' quoted lots of places though. So, no, it's probably just a placeholder.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/09/nintendo-of-koreas-eshop-is-an-import-store-with-shin-megami-tensei-iv-kagura-burst/

It may seem odd, but if you can only buy one 3DS, go for the Korean one. They apparently have an import section in their eShop with English releases and additional Japanese games.

I wonder what the chances are that we could pester Nintendo for something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So what's the deal with screen protectors? I have seen a lot of goons recommend one for the XL and is this just a placebo effect or what? My old DS survived through countless hours of EBA spinning and being thrown around everywhere and lived just fine without any screen protector.

What if anything makes one so important for the XL?

• Locked thread