Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Alereon posted:

You should have noticed REDUCTIONS in the amount of memory used. You may have a lovely plug-in or extension installed, or may need to make a new profile. Please see the instructions in the OP.

In addition to this, exactly how much memory is "so much memory"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Does anyone have suggestions for a basic vertical tabs extension? I loved how Chrome handles this, and the few I've tried on Firefox aren't quite what I'm looking for. I do not want tab trees or groups.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It uses up more than 150% (almost 2 mil) of memory usage when I open my daily tabs, compared to the last build. I also need to restart the browser to stop the stuttering. I did get rid of several add-ons.

Starting a new profile is such a bitch. Might need an add-on to help.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Keyboard Kid posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for a basic vertical tabs extension? I loved how Chrome handles this, and the few I've tried on Firefox aren't quite what I'm looking for. I do not want tab trees or groups.

I'm pretty sure either Vertical Tabs or Side Tabs will do what you're looking for. But man, the trees are the best part.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It uses up more than 150% (almost 2 mil) of memory usage when I open my daily tabs, compared to the last build. I also need to restart the browser to stop the stuttering. I did get rid of several add-ons.

If you use the built-in method, it's not that bad anymore.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

YggiDee posted:

I'm pretty sure either Vertical Tabs or Side Tabs will do what you're looking for. But man, the trees are the best part.

Both have been broken for around a month--you can't move tabs.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sorry. I fired them up long enough to make sure they ran, but didn't check past that.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Keyboard Kid posted:

Just use Tree-Style Tabs, turning off trees is trivial: you go into Options -> New Tabs and set everything to open as "an independent tab".

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Unload tab was mentioned a few posts back. I currently have five windows open with around 26 tabs and Aurora is using 476mb. Yeah the tab refreshes if you haven't accessed it in a while but if you have a plugin that you can't do without but leaks memory (Like Flash) it's a good alternative. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/unloadtab/?src=api

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I'm having a new font rendering problem. I think it cropped up when I upgraded to 18.0, but I haven't used this computer much for a few weeks so it could have been around in some 17.x version.

Gmail:

Twitter:

The comparison is to Chrome. Firefox is first in both images, and Chrome is second, and at 3x scale. The "Gmail" text and the "TWEETS/FOLLOWING/FOLLWERS" text are the biggest problems in these images.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 on a Dell laptop with Intel graphics. This doesn't seem to be a problem with most sites, or even all text on a problem site. And I haven't noticed any problems in any application outside of Firefox. I at least skimmed the about :config for anything with "font" in it and nothing seemed to suggest hinting/smoothing/subpixel rendering adjustments, so I'm at a loss. It's kind of starting to drive me nuts, though. Is there any way to fine-tune font rendering, or am I going to have to bug report this?

fourwood fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 16, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, hardware-acceleration is such poo poo for me on FF18. I've never had a problem with it on previous versions, but ever since updating to 18 I've been lagging like hell after 10 - 15 minutes of browsing, due to HWA. Luckily turning it off fixes it (so far at least) so it's not a huge deal, but stll annoying. Anyone know what they changed about it to cause this?

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 17, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The only major changes I'm aware of are Azure Canvas and DPI-scaling, neither of which should actually come into play on a normal system. Do make sure you have the latest video drivers (if you have an AMD videocard you need to use the latest beta drivers). If that and using the Reset Firefox feature mentioned in the OP don't fix it, post a link to your about:support log.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmmm, Firefox is using my lovely integrated graphics, which I've not bothered updating since I bought my laptop, looks like that was the problem. Since I use my other card for gaming/watching videos and I've only owned this PC for 5 months I didn't think about that yet. I had tried resetting Firefox, and updated my main card drivers on Monday, so I was stumped, guess I'm still not used to multiple video cards. Thanks for the help!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yeah that would do it, in general to save power only games and other apps that really need the performance of the videocard will use it, the rest of the time it stays powered off. This is probably something you can change if you care to or primarily use the laptop plugged in.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My desktop install of FF18 refuses to sync bookmarks with my Sync account. My laptop (Win7) and both android devices sync perfectly fine, but my desktop (Ubuntu 12.10) refuses to either sync bookmarks, or even load them from a backup file from my laptop. I can add bookmarks locally, but that's it. I have checked, and my sync settings are correct.

EDIT: Noting this for posterity. Make sure all your devices are running the same version! Laptop was still on 17.x, since I don't use it that often. Updated, forced Sync, and everything is peachy.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 18, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
My laptop install of Firefox 18 appears to be on its last legs. No longer does it only require a please-release-all-your-memory-leaks-restart after a fierce bout of opening 300 Wikipedia articles and several hundred more on saved tab groups. Now even running a cozy, 8-9 tabs causes it to become death, the shatterer of swapfile. Could be some idiot extension, most likely Tab Mix Plus because god knows that's black magic, or maybe it's just finally getting to the point where my going on six-year-old bargain bin even then laptop is finally reaching the end of its useful life.

Or, I could just raise the angry MOZILLA DOESNT CARE ABOUT LINUX PEOPLE banner. Every other broken Linux afterthought app does just fine on it. Never thought I'd see the day when Spotify Linux was causing fewer problems than Firefox Linux.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

fivre posted:

My laptop install of Firefox 18 appears to be on its last legs. No longer does it only require a please-release-all-your-memory-leaks-restart after a fierce bout of opening 300 Wikipedia articles and several hundred more on saved tab groups. Now even running a cozy, 8-9 tabs causes it to become death, the shatterer of swapfile. Could be some idiot extension, most likely Tab Mix Plus because god knows that's black magic, or maybe it's just finally getting to the point where my going on six-year-old bargain bin even then laptop is finally reaching the end of its useful life.

Or, I could just raise the angry MOZILLA DOESNT CARE ABOUT LINUX PEOPLE banner. Every other broken Linux afterthought app does just fine on it. Never thought I'd see the day when Spotify Linux was causing fewer problems than Firefox Linux.

Try Tab Utilities instead of Tab Mix Plus?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

fivre posted:

Or, I could just raise the angry MOZILLA DOESNT CARE ABOUT LINUX PEOPLE banner. Every other broken Linux afterthought app does just fine on it.

You could, but you'd be completely wrong. The vast majority of Firefox devs run Linux. Windows ends up being closer to an afterthought than Linux does.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
edit - never mind I've fixed it

Jippa fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 20, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm currently testing out Aurora 20.0a2 (2013-01-19) and for some reason I can no longer stop GIF animations by hitting ESC. Is there a way to enable that?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

fourwood posted:

I'm having a new font rendering problem. I think it cropped up when I upgraded to 18.0, but I haven't used this computer much for a few weeks so it could have been around in some 17.x version.

Gmail:

Twitter:

The comparison is to Chrome. Firefox is first in both images, and Chrome is second, and at 3x scale. The "Gmail" text and the "TWEETS/FOLLOWING/FOLLWERS" text are the biggest problems in these images.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 on a Dell laptop with Intel graphics. This doesn't seem to be a problem with most sites, or even all text on a problem site. And I haven't noticed any problems in any application outside of Firefox. I at least skimmed the about :config for anything with "font" in it and nothing seemed to suggest hinting/smoothing/subpixel rendering adjustments, so I'm at a loss. It's kind of starting to drive me nuts, though. Is there any way to fine-tune font rendering, or am I going to have to bug report this?

Exact same issue here.

Was sick of Chrome so switched to firefox today.

Complete fresh install of Firefox 18.01 and fonts look hosed up.

I've turned off hw acceleration too. No effect.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

If anyone cares, Waterfox finally updated to V18 today.

Apparently there were some critical bugs in the Intel C compiler he uses, which he's finally gotten Intel to fix.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fivre posted:

Nah longtime Firefox fan here and I am experiencing the same issues as you; and I am on an i7 with 16 GB of RAM. Looks like I am going to have to use Chrome full time as much as I don't want to (so many awesome Firefox plugins I will miss).

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

A long time ago someone posted a setting in this thread that you could change to zero and it stopped it from doing any processing of tabs at startup. I've just had to do a long overdue profile reset and can't remember what this setting was. It's not the same as the "do not load tabs at startup" tickbox in options.

Can anyone remember what it was?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

WastedJoker posted:

Exact same issue here.

Was sick of Chrome so switched to firefox today.

Complete fresh install of Firefox 18.01 and fonts look hosed up.

I've turned off hw acceleration too. No effect.

Yeah, I unticked the HW acceleration box, no effect. This is like Chinese water torture. It's such a small effect but after staring at it for so long... :suicide:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I thought I had figured this out but obviously not. Can some one please explain how I can block the "who to follow" section on twitter using adblock please?

I have tried a few different ways, but none of them work. Like this http://howdoitknow.net/tutorials/how-to-hide-who-to-follow-section-on-twitter/

It's possible it's out of date?

Seed
Aug 2, 2004
title text

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Nah longtime Firefox fan here and I am experiencing the same issues as you; and I am on an i7 with 16 GB of RAM. Looks like I am going to have to use Chrome full time as much as I don't want to (so many awesome Firefox plugins I will miss).

Having the same slowdown/memory hog problem as you guys. Some dude on the official support forum says it's due to poor handling of flash, but I dunno. I've switched to Chrome temporarily until this is resolved.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jippa posted:

I thought I had figured this out but obviously not. Can some one please explain how I can block the "who to follow" section on twitter using adblock please?
Take a look at Element Hiding Helper for AdBlock Plus, which makes things like that easy.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I've tried using that. I select the box just around "who to follow" and it says it's called "div,class:flex-module".

I add this but it hides the trending box below it as well which I'd like too keep.

e- excellent I've done it.

twitter.com##.module.wtf-module.js-wtf-module.has-content

Jippa fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 23, 2013

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Has anyone else had any problems with the Firefox and the Windows 8 snap feature--where you can attach a metro app to the side. It regularly causes freezes and instability for me.

Sometimes if you wait long enough it pops up with a 'stop script' button that works, other times I have to restart Firefox.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Jippa posted:

Yeah I've tried using that. I select the box just around "who to follow" and it says it's called "div,class:flex-module".

I add this but it hides the trending box below it as well which I'd like too keep.
You have to use W and N on your keyboard to "zoom" in and out until you find the proper object (H will hide the legend if it's in the way). For that particular box it is twitter.com##.module.wtf-module.js-wtf-module.has-content which is one step higher in the page structure than what you were doing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Swilo posted:

You have to use W and N on your keyboard to "zoom" in and out until you find the proper object (H will hide the legend if it's in the way). For that particular box it is twitter.com##.module.wtf-module.js-wtf-module.has-content which is one step higher in the page structure than what you were doing.

Thanks mate, I just this minute found that and edited my previous post. Thanks for looking into it though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Seed posted:

Having the same slowdown/memory hog problem as you guys. Some dude on the official support forum says it's due to poor handling of flash, but I dunno. I've switched to Chrome temporarily until this is resolved.

You and Miyamotos RGB NES are both having totally different experiences to me - v18 has been the quickest and lightest Firefox I've used in the last 5+ years. Ram and CPU usage is down, there have been fewer freezes when switching tabs, and I've not had a crash.

I'm also a long time user, and I have the habit of opening tons of tabs at once, so either the difference is an extension going haywire, or a problem with flash.
I run a bunch of addons: Pentadactyl, Adblock Edge, Stylish, Lastpass etc, but I use the click to play option for all plugins, and have no plugins enabled at all other than Flash.

Maybe try that?

I have a fast home PC (latest gen i5, 16GB of ram, SSD, Ubuntu) & a slowish work PC (Core 2 Duo, 3GB, Win7). Firefox runs fine on both, whilst Chrome bogs down easily on the Win7 PC & runs great in Linux.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lum posted:

A long time ago someone posted a setting in this thread that you could change to zero and it stopped it from doing any processing of tabs at startup. I've just had to do a long overdue profile reset and can't remember what this setting was. It's not the same as the "do not load tabs at startup" tickbox in options.

Can anyone remember what it was?

browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs = 0 per chance? If that's it, does it not just do the same as "Do not load tabs at startup"?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs = 0 per chance? If that's it, does it not just do the same as "Do not load tabs at startup"?

That sounds familiar, but if that is the same as that setting, I guess my problem lies elsewhere

The other thing that's bugging me, and it's a really stupid thing, on my old profile my tabs and toolbar picked up their colour from my Windows 8 theme, including changing colour when the window lost focus or if you changed the Windows colour setting.

The new profile doesn't do this and I can't figure out which setting does that, googling just finds people telling me to install themes or fursonas which isn't the same thing, this was on the default theme.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Is there a way to disable Firefox from 'unloading' your inactive tabs?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

You and Miyamotos RGB NES are both having totally different experiences to me - v18 has been the quickest and lightest Firefox I've used in the last 5+ years. Ram and CPU usage is down, there have been fewer freezes when switching tabs, and I've not had a crash.

I'm also a long time user, and I have the habit of opening tons of tabs at once, so either the difference is an extension going haywire, or a problem with flash.
I run a bunch of addons: Pentadactyl, Adblock Edge, Stylish, Lastpass etc, but I use the click to play option for all plugins, and have no plugins enabled at all other than Flash.

Maybe try that?

I have a fast home PC (latest gen i5, 16GB of ram, SSD, Ubuntu) & a slowish work PC (Core 2 Duo, 3GB, Win7). Firefox runs fine on both, whilst Chrome bogs down easily on the Win7 PC & runs great in Linux.

I dunno, I can describe what happens though, and this has been going on for over a year or so. I'd open a ton of tabs (really bad habit), sort of a way to remind myself to read something later or whatever. Anyway, "back in the day" I could have ridiculous number of Firefox tabs open; no joke, like over 200 of them at once, and my computer would not bat an eye. Now, if I am approaching anything close to 15 of them, my computer is partying like it was built in 1999.

I can force close Firefox (it gets so slow that just clicking a link on a page I am already on can take forever) and when it restarts again (after a good 3 minute wait) it will be fast as lightning. Even after having 30+ tabs open (forget about the old days of 200 of them though). However, after MAYBE one day of Firefox simply existing on my computer and it becomes a slow mess, even with only 1 tab open. Reboot the computer or force close Firefox and restart it, and it will be blazing fast again. A friend of mine with a similar PC reports almost the exact same thing as me. :(

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I dunno, I can describe what happens though, and this has been going on for over a year or so. I'd open a ton of tabs (really bad habit), sort of a way to remind myself to read something later or whatever. Anyway, "back in the day" I could have ridiculous number of Firefox tabs open; no joke, like over 200 of them at once, and my computer would not bat an eye. Now, if I am approaching anything close to 15 of them, my computer is partying like it was built in 1999.

I can force close Firefox (it gets so slow that just clicking a link on a page I am already on can take forever) and when it restarts again (after a good 3 minute wait) it will be fast as lightning. Even after having 30+ tabs open (forget about the old days of 200 of them though). However, after MAYBE one day of Firefox simply existing on my computer and it becomes a slow mess, even with only 1 tab open. Reboot the computer or force close Firefox and restart it, and it will be blazing fast again. A friend of mine with a similar PC reports almost the exact same thing as me. :(

As always, temporarily disable all plugins and extensions & restart --> does it still happen? If it's flash this should stop it. I use click to play for plugins, and perhaps that mitigates the issue a bunch.

What extensions are you running? There are some know offenders that leak memory.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

As always, temporarily disable all plugins and extensions & restart --> does it still happen? If it's flash this should stop it. I use click to play for plugins, and perhaps that mitigates the issue a bunch.

What extensions are you running? There are some know offenders that leak memory.

I definitely thought extensions could be the culprit but my friend has 0 installed (wouldn't even know how to install one).

All I have is TabMix Plus and SANZBDB. Could it really just be from one of the tabs having Youtube opened? Or even the ads on the top of these very forums is Flash. Could something that small be the culprit?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Is there a way to disable Firefox from 'unloading' your inactive tabs?
What do you mean by this? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't.