Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

TheGopher posted:

I can't play as aliens without turning vision on. The contrast is sooooo much better.

The downside is the game is so pretty and I can't stare at it :(

There is a mod called minimal alien vision, which only highlights structures/players/mines but gives the world geometry an outline instead of a highlight. When it is allowed to work it makes alien vision much less jarring, but if an area is genuinely dark it can sometimes be frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
So if you want to use a mod can you only play on servers running that mod? Or does it depend on the mod? I would love to use that alien vision mod but if it can only be used on whatever handful of servers are running it then that could suck.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It will work on any server that isn't running a consistency check.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Sometimes i wonder what this game would be like if mirror matches were possible.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I don't buy them because they aren't worth the utility of 15 pres when I can get a jetpack for 10 and a shotgun for 20. Maybe it's a player count thing. In 5v5 or whatever competitive matches are if you can't spare anyone from the front lines then I can see mines being useful, but when I mainly stick to 16-20 player games there's almost always someone there to defend.

And frankly they just don't seem to do much. One match I tried using them, I bought 3 packs total, 45 pres. I put them down covering power nodes, RTs, and phase gates. I got 1, maybe 2 kills total out of all 9 mines. For that I gave up 4 jetpacks or 2/3s of an exo?

The thing about mines is that they get way more amazing if a lot of players buy them as soon as they come out. When its just you and some other guy on a 20 person team then they can seem underwhelming.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Dyz posted:

Sometimes i wonder what this game would be like if mirror matches were possible.

This was a mod in NS1 and it was loving terrible, besides the novelty factor.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This was a mod in NS1 and it was loving terrible, besides the novelty factor.
The infestation fights in NS2 Alien vs Alien might be interesting. Ditto lines of whips beating the poo poo out of each other,

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Dyz posted:

The thing about mines is that they get way more amazing if a lot of players buy them as soon as they come out. When its just you and some other guy on a 20 person team then they can seem underwhelming.

If everyone spent their first 15 res on mines, the aliens would be absolutely paralyzed in enemy territory. Oh how I wish....

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Splicer posted:

The infestation fights in NS2 Alien vs Alien might be interesting. Ditto lines of whips beating the poo poo out of each other,

Can you imagine how horrible skulk fights would be? :stare:

Like a trainwreck. A...glorious trainwreck. Ok yeah, someone go make this please.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Like a trainwreck. A...glorious trainwreck. Ok yeah, someone go make this please.

I would rename myself Smash Mouth and all I'd do all game is EAT ALL THE EGGS!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Lerks would dominate since nothing but a good fade, a gorge, or another lerk could hit them.

My question is how would aliens detect other camouflaged aliens?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dyz posted:

Lerks would dominate since nothing but a good fade, a gorge, or another lerk could hit them.

My question is how would aliens detect other camouflaged aliens?
I dunno. Try killing a Fade with no ranged weapons. Or taking down an Onos with, well, anything other than another Onos.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Splicer posted:

I dunno. Try killing a Fade with no ranged weapons. Or taking down an Onos with, well, anything other than another Onos.

I bet Onos are weak to spikes too :v:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mr. Peepers posted:

I don't buy them because they aren't worth the utility of 15 pres when I can get a jetpack for 10 and a shotgun for 20. Maybe it's a player count thing. In 5v5 or whatever competitive matches are if you can't spare anyone from the front lines then I can see mines being useful, but when I mainly stick to 16-20 player games there's almost always someone there to defend.

And frankly they just don't seem to do much. One match I tried using them, I bought 3 packs total, 45 pres. I put them down covering power nodes, RTs, and phase gates. I got 1, maybe 2 kills total out of all 9 mines. For that I gave up 4 jetpacks or 2/3s of an exo?
If 3 packs of mines save a single RT for 1 minute it more than pays for both the team and player resource cost.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I actually had a dream where an update came out adding a new mode that was mirror match. But instead of Aliens v Aliens or Marines v Marines both sides got access to both alien and marine stuff.

That would probably be unplayable. Dreams are dumb.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Onos with jetpacks and shotguns :getin:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Now I remember why I don't like playing online shooters :cripes:

Look, I know the very existence of a feminine voice in your team's chat is a horrible travesty beyond all comprehension, but that doesn't mean it's time to switch teams and break out the "I'm going to loving rape you you loving flat-chested oval office" diatribe. It's never time for that.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Huh. I've noticed more than a few female gamers playing NS2 but no responses like that. Not even any subtly creepy responses, which came as a pleasant surprise. Maybe Australia breeds a better class of gamer :australia:.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dyz posted:

Balanced. :downsrim:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Look, I know the very existence of a feminine voice in your team's chat is a horrible travesty beyond all comprehension, but that doesn't mean it's time to switch teams and break out the "I'm going to loving rape you you loving flat-chested oval office" diatribe. It's never time for that.
:( As with cheaters, the best solution here would probably to find a server that has admins around who aren't shitheels and who will bad people for that stuff. Dunno how hard that is, but I know the Penny Arcade server at least has admins that don't let that poo poo fly.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
The females I've seen have been really good shooters, like..better than myself.

Of course as a marine, I couldn't hit the ocean if I was on a boat.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Aferisan posted:

The females I've seen have been really good shooters, like..better than myself.

Of course as a marine, I couldn't hit the ocean if I was on a boat.
The preferred term is, I think, "women" rather than "females," and if you couldn't hit the ocean if you were on a boat then most of the men ("males?") you've seen are probably better shots than you too. In fact, I suspect that ability to aim is not tied to one's gender. The only :biotruths: in NS2 are the different alien lifeforms, I'd say.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
I can only support the vocal rapist if I know that she was the type of female player that makes sure to let everyone know they are female by making themselves sound artifically mousey for attention from aforementioned weirdos. There's nothing more annoying than joining a game that has the stereotypical extremely vocal girlgamer who has 3 dudes fawning over her for being a girl and ignoring that she's talking way too much in voice chat instead of playing the game. Girl gamers tend to either be the ones that a) make their gender as invisible as possible and possibly don't even use their mics or b) the ones that get off on it and won't shut up.

Then we've got the pubbie commander who doesn't drop medkits or ammo for his marines or give anybody any sense of direction and then complains all the way into the ready room about how everyone hosed it up in the Noobs Only Server.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AgentF
May 11, 2009
So you don't suppose there's a better way to deal with the issue than threatening to rape the woman and calling her a oval office?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

AgentF posted:

So you don't suppose there's a better way to deal with the issue than threatening to rape the woman and calling her a oval office?

Yeah seriously :stare:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
As much as I'd love to get a full list of "times when it's appropriate to support a vocal rapist" so that, going forward, I can lend my support at the necessary junctures, maybe it would be better to talk about something else, and lacking much else to post, here are two videos I've made recently which I will relentlessly shill because 1) I have no shame and 2) christ almighty I would love to move away from the current discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJb_Y5RzCnA
This is a competitive match from a few days ago. It's the second round, so follow the video annotations if you want to watch them in order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKVHzjxd5Ss
This is the latest in my tutorial video series so if you are a new player or have any new friends, this might be helpful. This particular video covers a very important aspect of NS2, "what should I be doing at any given point in the game," which is super important because players who answer that question wrong end up killing cysts or power nodes half the time and we all know how loving useless and potentially counterproductive that can often be.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Dave Mustard posted:

I can only support the vocal rapist if I know that she was the type of female player that makes sure to let everyone know they are female by making themselves sound artifically mousey for attention from aforementioned weirdos. There's nothing more annoying than joining a game that has the stereotypical extremely vocal girlgamer who has 3 dudes fawning over her for being a girl and ignoring that she's talking way too much in voice chat instead of playing the game. Girl gamers tend to either be the ones that a) make their gender as invisible as possible and possibly don't even use their mics or b) the ones that get off on it and won't shut up.

Then we've got the pubbie commander who doesn't drop medkits or ammo for his marines or give anybody any sense of direction and then complains all the way into the ready room about how everyone hosed it up in the Noobs Only Server.

Wow.

You know, the best part of this post isn't even the first sentence where you actually managed to basically vomit "I support rapists" with a conditional and think it was a good start to a post. No, the best part is the thought process behind it all where you managed to admit that you think women are better silent and that it irritates you more than anything else when a woman is overly vocal on voice comms just because she's a woman. You know, plenty of guys are overly vocal on voice comms and love attracting attention to themselves by constantly yelling into the mic but it irritates you more when women do it...why, exactly?

I'm guessing the answer to that lies somewhere between Jealousy and "Get out of my video games and back in the kitchen where you belong!"

TychoCelchuuu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJb_Y5RzCnA
This is a competitive match from a few days ago. It's the second round, so follow the video annotations if you want to watch them in order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKVHzjxd5Ss
This is the latest in my tutorial video series so if you are a new player or have any new friends, this might be helpful. This particular video covers a very important aspect of NS2, "what should I be doing at any given point in the game," which is super important because players who answer that question wrong end up killing cysts or power nodes half the time and we all know how loving useless and potentially counterproductive that can often be.

God with power nodes. Cysts aren't as bad, at least they die fast and it can actually benefit your team/hurt the other team.

Power nodes though, I can't count the number of times I've seen a skulk go after the power before anything else. I spend alot of time yelling at people as Alien Comm not to attack a power node, ever, unless there there are two of the following in the room: Phase, IP, Obs. Too many skulk lives wasted on power nodes without ever touching an RT when you could have at least gotten the RT down to like five chomps and yelled about it over coms so someone else can come finish it off.

The same with phases. Can't count the number of times I've seen us get a phase down to less than 10% and all die and then no one goes and finishes it off. Everyone spawns and goes and does something else. Playing Aliens is so often like herding cats.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 24, 2013

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah I guess I should just shut my whore mouth next time instead of mentioning that there is a group of marines rushing the hive :jerkbag:

With alien teamwork, I honestly rarely see people listen to the commander. But if the dude next to you goes "hey follow me!" nine times out of ten they do. A good second in command is really great on both sides.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I often end up being something of a coordination commander because I'm loud and obnoxious and never shut up because no one else is ever talking and half the people who are actually decent at commanding, just like in NS1, frequently don't have a mic for some damned reason.

Oh, and I dunno, sometimes it seems easier to wrangle aliens than the marines. At least when a skulk strikes off on their own repeatedly you can usually wrangle that as an advantage, or try to ignore it. Newer pubby marines who all rambo in different directions and get eaten five steps out of the base constantly and never listen to voice chat telling them to wait five seconds for one of their rambo buddies to spawn, however, those guys aren't just inoptimal, they're frustrating.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 24, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I had a weird match the other day as Aliens where one guy said of the Marines "Com is a female, so gg" (and no, he wasn't not saying the Marines have an advantage).

I was going to call him on it but another Alien player started ripping him a new one and I was worried if I joined in they'd think I was doing it for the wrong reasons and end up undermining her (the Alien player's) righteous anger :smith:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Does anyone know a good server that isnt KKG or one the other big 24 person ones? I got really tired of the team stacking when we were able to take the map, rush single exo, and punch the only hive to death.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The preferred term is, I think, "women" rather than "females," and if you couldn't hit the ocean if you were on a boat then most of the men ("males?") you've seen are probably better shots than you too. In fact, I suspect that ability to aim is not tied to one's gender. The only :biotruths: in NS2 are the different alien lifeforms, I'd say.

Not to be argumentative but, I've seen a lot of dudes who are terrible shots. I'm saying like, since the sample size of women is so small, the players that I've seen have been consistently better than men. But you're right that's not a rule or a gender thing, just a coincidence.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A smart thing to do when posting on the internet: as soon as you find yourself using gender to categorize, close the tab and never admit to anyone you were typing what you did.

This also applies to using voice communications playing a video game, but the internet fuckwad theory interferes with that.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

People play games. Some of them are good. Some of them are poo poo. Done.

Also NS2 still owns bones. I feel like exos really need something though. They're nice for a push, because they have the mobility that ARCs lack and they can pack quite a punch, but the other weaknesses they force on the player feel a bit harsh. Can't be beaconed, can't repair, can't build. If the marines end up on the back foot at all, they get trashed. Meanwhile one good onos can really control the flow of the game with forced beacons. Thoughts? I haven't watched much competitive play, how do things usually work out there, and how do they overcome or work around those issues?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think exos have to stay like they are because jetpacking death marines are so powerful. Improving exo utility would necessitate weakening a lot of other things.

Exos are kind of a sandtrap, lots of people see them as a "final solution" to winning a game and miss all the other tools marines get when trying to push the exo rush.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

That is super lovely, but I really don't think that's the norm for this playerbase. I've never seen women that talk in this game get any poo poo or creepy people... but admittedly I don't see them talking much (probably for fear that that will happen). It's especially bad because voice communication is so important in this game. :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Black Balloon posted:

Also NS2 still owns bones. I feel like exos really need something though. They're nice for a push, because they have the mobility that ARCs lack and they can pack quite a punch, but the other weaknesses they force on the player feel a bit harsh. Can't be beaconed, can't repair, can't build. If the marines end up on the back foot at all, they get trashed. Meanwhile one good onos can really control the flow of the game with forced beacons. Thoughts? I haven't watched much competitive play, how do things usually work out there, and how do they overcome or work around those issues?
A good Exo can control the flow of the game. The difference being that a big part of being a good Exo is teamwork. Someone in an Exo who is bad at teamwork is by definition a bad Exo player. And usually by the time Exos come out all the team players have spent all their res on being useful and the first guy to buy an Exo is the guy who spent all game wanting to be a big stompy dude in a gunsuit and gently caress anyone who's going to tell him to wait for those namby-pamby jetpack marines and their "welders".

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Black Balloon posted:

Depends on the players. A group of exos can take down a hive in about a minute. Once you reach critical mass of exos you can pretty much run around the map and base race and still come out ahead\. I'm not sure but I think exos have a really high damage output comparative to Onos. Onos have like 4x the health of a Exo. Let's see, 1300 + 800 with carapace armor. 2900 versus 580.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
4 gorges with bile bomb will kill infinite amounts of exos.

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES
I often see people saying Exos are a complete waste of res, which isn't true. I tend to think of them as ARCs - great tools when used properly, but they require a good amount of co-ordination and support so as to not waste the res you pay for one. For example, a common counter-Exo strategy is to force a beacon to cut off their non-Exo support. Good commanders will warn their Exos that they might need to beacon, and good Exos will heed the warning and retreat to a safe area to wait for support so they're not left at the entrance to a hive all alone. Too often I'll see an Exo lose his welder buddies and continue to push forward, making him an easy meal for a group of skulks. Another common sight is an Exo followed by a clump of MACs. All it takes is a few Gorge bile bombs to cut off their lifeline and leave them without a source of repair.

Lots of people poo poo on Exos for not being a flat upgrade like the Jetpack, which is true, but they're far from worthless if used correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

AndyAML posted:

I often see people saying Exos are a complete waste of res, which isn't true. I tend to think of them as ARCs - great tools when used properly, but they require a good amount of co-ordination and support so as to not waste the res you pay for one. For example, a common counter-Exo strategy is to force a beacon to cut off their non-Exo support. Good commanders will warn their Exos that they might need to beacon, and good Exos will heed the warning and retreat to a safe area to wait for support so they're not left at the entrance to a hive all alone. Too often I'll see an Exo lose his welder buddies and continue to push forward, making him an easy meal for a group of skulks. Another common sight is an Exo followed by a clump of MACs. All it takes is a few Gorge bile bombs to cut off their lifeline and leave them without a source of repair.

Lots of people poo poo on Exos for not being a flat upgrade like the Jetpack, which is true, but they're far from worthless if used correctly.

They aren't worthless, but it is silly that you can pay 75 res to buy something that is going to make you slightly less useful to your team than a marine with a 10 res jetpack and an LMG.

• Locked thread