Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

A Link Between Worlds was released in November 2013 for the Nintendo 3DS and 2DS. The game is a sequel to A Link to the Past, taking place in a slightly modified overworld with updated 3D models. Fans and critics alike praised the game's dedication to pure fun. No tutorials and long opening sequences bogged down the gameplay. NPCs spoke quickly and succinctly. Good puzzles, fun dungeons, and clever design gave fans something that had been missing from the Zelda series for years.

Wikipedia posted:

The game follows the top-down two-dimensional gameplay of various Zelda games, especially A Link to the Past, though it is now presented with stereoscopic 3D graphics when played on the Nintendo 3DS. The top screen is used as the main screen, while the bottom touch screen contains the map, gear, and items.[6]

Although the overworld is largely the same as that of A Link to the Past, all the dungeons are totally new.[6][7] Exploration of dungeons utilize the game's 3D effects and feature Link jumping between levels to solve puzzles and advance.[8]

Several items from A Link to the Past return, including arrows for shooting enemies from a long distance, the mallet which allows Link to knock down pegs in the ground, and the Fire Rod which creates a firestorm. The magic meter now refills on its own, a change from the original where it required potions to refill. The magic meter replaces previous games' ammunition system for Link's bow and bombs, as well as being used to power other items and special abilities, such as the magic hammer and spin attack.[9][10][6] The Master Sword shoots projectiles when Link is at full health as in A Link to the Past.[10]
Another new feature is the ability for Link to enter walls and become a drawing. When he does so, the camera shifts to a profile view and he is able to move along the walls to reach new areas.[11][12] Drawings of hearts and rupees can be found on walls and Link can collect them when he turns into a drawing.[13] This ability also allows Link to enter cracks in walls to move between Hyrule and Lorule.[13] This ability causes the player's meter to deplete with time.[9] The feature was inspired by the Phantom Ganon boss battle in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.[14]

Welcome to a new installment of the Zelda Megathread! Skyward Sword has been out for over a year now. We've all played it, all had a lot of fun and a bit of disappointment. The new motion controls were either an intuitive and engaging new way to interact with the game or a crippling handicap that left it unplayable (or you just thought they were okay). It's time to move on though, and the Zelda Megathread is here to facilitate discussion of what many consider to be the greatest series in video game history.

Hey MokBa, just what the heck is a "Zelda" anyway?

The Legend of Zelda is a series of video games created by Shigeru Miyamoto. Most games center around a boy with a sword saving a princess in peril from an evil wizard.

The original game is based on Miyamoto's childhood adventures outdoors. Therefore, a great deal of exploration through woods, fields, lakes, deserts, beaches, and mountains is involved. But they are fantasy games, full of magic and wizards, swords and bows, and every sort of fantastical creature - each with a unique spin. Zelda generally falls into the Action/Adventure genre and, in my opinion, is the epitome of all action/adventure games.

Some things you should know:

• The Legend of Zelda is an action/adventure game with platforming and puzzle-solving elements placed liberally throughout each title.
  • Link is our silent green-clad hero. He carries around a sword, shield, and a large array of items, tools, and weapons that vary game-to-game. These items help him solve puzzles, defeat enemies, and progress further through his environment.
  • The games generally take place in Hyrule, a fictional medieval kingdom with such sights as Lake Hylia, Death Mountain, and the Lost Woods.
  • Zelda is the princess of Hyrule, and she often gets kidnapped.
  • The main antagonist is Ganon, a powerful king/thief/wizard who seeks to rule Hyrule through force.

The big news right now is an HD remake of Wind Waker for the Wii U.

Bloom and different lighting aside, the screenshots look gorgeous, and this remake may be the push many of us need to finally purchase a Wii U. Here's hoping they give us some new content (like the cut dungeons) to justify it, but let's not get our hopes too high.

There's been a little bit of information about the next console title, with hopefully more to come in the upcoming months:

IGN posted:

Aonuma Discusses The Legend of Zelda for Wii U

Franchise producer Eiji Aonuma, citing the scope and ambition of this new Zelda for Wii U, declined to do a full unveiling of the Wii U Zelda entry but provided some insight into his team's mission. Nintendo is "rethinking the conventions of Zelda," including:

Dungeons completed in a set order
Single-player gameplay

Despite considering multiplayer options and possibly an open-world layout for the next Zelda game, Aonuma said that they're "returning to basics." The goal of all this, Aonuma said, was to create a reborn Zelda -- and more details on this will be shared as the game comes together.

We were promised a retooled Zelda with Skyward Sword, and while many elements had been changed, most of them were for the worse. Perhaps Aonuma, Miyamoto, and co. will actually take a hint from the early games and give us an open world after so much railroading.

quote:

Aonuma discussed Nintendo's new visual approach for the original Zelda game for Wii U, which purportedly is completely unlike the HD demo shown at E3 2011.

Aonuma noted this still-mysterious "new style" developed as his team experimented bringing Zelda's many graphical styles into HD. Part of developing the new art style including reworking the "cel-shaded" style of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. This culminated in a remake of The Wind Waker for Wii U, slated for Fall 2013. The producer said over time something entirely new and unique evolved.

Will we get a return to cel-shading? A continuation of Skyward Sword's paint daubs? Nintendo has surprised us in the past, and I bet they surprise us again.

And slated for release on Jan. 29 is the English translation of Hyrule Historia!

quote:

Dark Horse Books and Nintendo team up to bring you The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, containing an unparalleled collection of historical information on The Legend of Zelda franchise. This handsome hardcover contains never-before-seen concept art, the full history of Hyrule, the official chronology of the games, and much more! Starting with an insightful introduction by the legendary producer and video-game designer of Donkey Kong, Mario, and The Legend of Zelda, Shigeru Miyamoto, this book is crammed full of information about the storied history of Link's adventures from the creators themselves! As a bonus, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia includes an exclusive comic by the foremost creator of The Legend of Zelda manga - Akira Himekawa!

WILL WE FINALLY GET ALL OUR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE TIMELINE ANSWERED? Who cares? Don't talk about the timeline in this thread.

Past threads:
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Raise your sword the highest you can
Zelda Megathread: I found a timeline under the table
Let's talk about the Legend of Zelda

MokBa fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Carrying on from the last thread, re WiiU Wind Waker:

Nahxela posted:

It would really be fantastic if they did do that, but it seems kind of unlikely.
They did add a whole ton of stuff for OoT3D, including a new difficulty mode and boss rush, so I will remain hopeful.
I can't see them putting the dungeon for Jabun's pearl back in, unfortunately, since that would need a dungeon item and I can't see where they'd reassign one from, but maybe extending the ones for the bracelets and the iron boots (Fire and Ice dungeons to match the Earth and Wind ones?), or at least adding some variety to the Triforce Chart "fight a bunch of enemies in a room" ones would be awesome.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I look forward to Zelda's Epic Yarn, an open world adventure through a magical land made out of yarn and glue.

Nah but seriously, I'm glad that Nintendo is finally getting the hint that Zelda has grown obnoxiously stale. even though I really liked Twilight Princess

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

It'd be cool if they made the figurine sidequest more convenient. Like letting you turn in all your pictures at once and let the pictobox store more than 3 pictures. Would also be nice to be able to save the pictures to outside the game.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Holy poo poo, wait what? An HD remake of Wind Waker. I will buy a Wii-U just for this.

God drat.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Was going to post this in the old thread and then it closed on me! How slightly unlikely.
Anyhow, I'm not too worried about the shaders in the WW HD remake. WW's shader changed a good bit from its first shots to release, and the thing is shaders are generally things that are very easy to experiment with, unlike a lot of other things in game development. It's pretty much entirely post-processing and they are very flexible. I would be more surprised if the released HD remake looks the exact same it does in those shots.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I loved the Wind Waker style since they announced it and I'm ecstatic that it's going to be in glorious HD. It's not a new game, but I think it's just as good. I'm not too certain if they're doing big changes on anything other than the graphics, but more longevity and difficulty would be nice. I'll also be buying Hyrule Historia the day it's available, it's another thing I've been waiting for. The new revamping of Zelda is also fantastic news, it has been getting somewhat old, honestly. I can already tell that this is going to be a great year for Nintendo and Zelda fans alike.
It's also good to hear that although the Wii U's launch was pretty "meh", we're getting some great stuff quickly.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009
All Zelda games are amazing for speedrunning. I'm going to paste a couple of must watch runs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7IINwTFVw Amazing OOT run where Cosmo explains the story behind the speedrunning in OOT.
http://fr.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda/b/355843975?t=22h02m01s Zelda 2 broken.

Loads more on Youtube.

I'm currently playing LTTP exclusively. Also a great game to speedrun.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
I'd forgotten about it until that part of the OP, but do debates really still happen with the official timeline out? I quite enjoy speculating on where (and by extension, the specific plot of) the next game will be using it as reference, but this will be the only time I speak of it if it's really just a flat "no". (As I do remember the bloodbaths of words that accompanied debating the actual order of the timeline)

Runcible Cat posted:

I can't see them putting the dungeon for Jabun's pearl back in, unfortunately, since that would need a dungeon item and I can't see where they'd reassign one from, but maybe extending the ones for the bracelets and the iron boots (Fire and Ice dungeons to match the Earth and Wind ones?), or at least adding some variety to the Triforce Chart "fight a bunch of enemies in a room" ones would be awesome.

I think it'd be great if they put two of the triforce charts into the Fire/Ice dungeons later in the game and add in those cut dungeons.

I'm sure they'd just implement whatever the hell they had planned before they cut the dungeons anyway if they were going to do it.

Magnatux fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 24, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Runcible Cat posted:

There was a dungeon for Jabun's pearl originally? I knew there were dungeons for the volcano and glacier but not for that segment. Just make the dungeon item the bomb bag, you earn it anyway during that sequence.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Did anyone who worked on Wind Waker actually confirm that there were fire and ice dungeons that got cut, or is that just fan speculation?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man I never really knew that people were divided on the Skyward Sword motion controls, I thought the new sword controls were one of the best things to happen to the series in a long time. I'm going to miss them in the Wii U Zelda since I imagine they'll probably use the gamepad instead. (Though I'm interested to see what they do with it)

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

KimT posted:

Man I never really knew that people were divided on the Skyward Sword motion controls, I thought the new sword controls were one of the best things to happen to the series in a long time. I'm going to miss them in the Wii U Zelda since I imagine they'll probably use the gamepad instead. (Though I'm interested to see what they do with it)

Something I'd love to see (and will probably never happen) is the new Zelda game having two quests: One on the TV with Wiimote Plus controls, the other on the GamePad with the top-down gameplay of LTTP. You control two different Links in different eras/timelines/whatever who, because of something the bad guy is doing, are forced to work together across space and time.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Something I'd love to see (and will probably never happen) is the new Zelda game having two quests: One on the TV with Wiimote Plus controls, the other on the GamePad with the top-down gameplay of LTTP. You control two different Links in different eras/timelines/whatever who, because of something the bad guy is doing, are forced to work together across space and time.
Maybe the next one will feature Co-Op similar to the Zelda game in Nintendo Land, only more complex. That'll be a pretty fun feature that's sure to add replayability.

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

I'd like a coop mode where Link and Zelda have to work together to get through temples. Give Link some of his usual items and gear and Zelda could have some magic spells. Both of their abilities would be necessary to solve puzzles. We'll probably never get anything like that, though.

Also, I really liked the motion controls in Skyward Sword, but I wouldn't really care if they took them out for WiiU Zelda. I do hope they take out destructible shields in the next one, though. I never used my shield because I didn't want it to break.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I want a 2D Metroidvania Zelda inspired by Zelda II because after playing it on my 3DS Virtual Console it became my favorite Zelda game. Also because of that Adventure Time game.

Also, for anyone who hasn't played it before, Legend of Princess is an arcade style beat 'em up for PC that's inspired by Zelda II and Link to the Past. It's also free!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KimT posted:

I think the only reason people were divided on SS motion controls was that it seemed like a lot of people had hardware issues with the WiiMotion Plus. General consensus in the last thread seemed to be that the Wii Remote+ with the built-in MotionPlus worked pretty well, but the dongle attachment for the game was finicky as poo poo.

Also, I felt like too many enemies became little miniature puzzles (okay, swing left-to-right, that's the only way you'll do damage! now top-right-to-left-bottom!) but that's probably just me being bad at video games and having a tendency to swing first and ask questions think strategically later. Seriously, gently caress Stalfos. And Lizalfos

RentCavalier posted:

I look forward to Zelda's Epic Yarn, an open world adventure through a magical land made out of yarn and glue.

Nah but seriously, I'm glad that Nintendo is finally getting the hint that Zelda has grown obnoxiously stale. even though I really liked Twilight Princess

Whatup TP fan buddy :hfive:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Baron FU posted:

All Zelda games are amazing for speedrunning. I'm going to paste a couple of must watch runs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7IINwTFVw Amazing OOT run where Cosmo explains the story behind the speedrunning in OOT.
http://fr.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda/b/355843975?t=22h02m01s Zelda 2 broken.

Loads more on Youtube.

I'm currently playing LTTP exclusively. Also a great game to speedrun.

Also this OoT speedrun is a pro-click, both for how amazing it is and for how quickly my Nerd Gathering BINGO card filled up while looking at the audience.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I preordered the book on Amazon, looking forward to it.

I don't really like the bloom lighting and other things happening in that HD Wind Waker. Not something I'm getting a Wii U for but I bet when I pick one up in 4-6 years I won't be able to resist it.

Ocarina of Time 3D is the only thing I want from a 3DS. Someday I'll get one handed down from a friend or on the cheap and then it's Ocarina of Time time. I'm happy they kept a lot of the glitches intentionally. It would be nice if they do that for the next Wind Waker.

An open world Zelda would be interesting. It would lose the charm and linear puzzle piece elements of how items work in Zelda games but that would honestly be a welcome change. With the almost skill-based combat of Skyward Sword I could see good combat being the focus which is welcome in the genre. I like Skyrim and if only the combat were more lime Skyward Sword it could be amazing. Hell more games in general need to actually use motion controls in that way.

As mentioned above Wind Waker and OoT are some of the best Speedruns to watch:

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Co-op is a bold move, but it makes sense. I'm actually surprised Skyward Sword didn't have some variant of Mario Galaxy's co-star mode. Wasn't the whole "philosophy" of Wii that more people would play together? Anyway, I'm glad they're doing it for Wii U, because they can do way more with it now. I picture Link being controlled with the Wiimote like Skyward Sword while the sidekick has special new abilities with the GamePad. I don't know if Player 2 would have full control or just follow Link around, but the applications of the GamePad are near limitless either way. The sidekick could have a bow like in Battle Quest, an augmented map with the ability to set waypoints, Bomber's Notebook, bestiary, Lens of Truth, etc. The GamePad could be used to look around the room and draw circles or arrows on the environment, which are mimicked on the TV screen to help Player 1 solve puzzles. I can also see it used for special objects/scenarios, like the Groosenator. Who knows? Maps and navigation might get a big emphasis if the game really is open/non-linear.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I would love if the world was open like Dark Souls. I would also love if it took the coop/pvp structure of dark souls.
What I'm saying is if Nintendo made Zelda Souls I might never stop buying the game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RME posted:

I would love if the world was open like Dark Souls. I would also love if it took the coop/pvp structure of dark souls.
What I'm saying is if Nintendo made Zelda Souls I might never stop buying the game.

Half the fun of Dark Souls is the difficulty. It's a great idea but I can't imagine Nintendo doing it. What we really need is a 3D style online Four Swords for the Wii U. (If not 3D, a 2D one would be great also)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Spacebump posted:

Half the fun of Dark Souls is the difficulty. It's a great idea but I can't imagine Nintendo doing it. What we really need is a 3D style online Four Swords for the Wii U. (If not 3D, a 2D one would be great also)

You could make a Zelda game with the same style of open-ended, interconnected world that Dark Souls has without making it difficult, and it would still be a compelling experience. Zelda has always been about exploring and puzzle-solving moreso than combat and difficulty, and it's going back to that exploration that I interpret from the comments about re-imaging the "Zelda Experience".

E: For example in most Zelda games, areas are locked off and the various items are used to open those paths. One change would be to design the world such that you can get around with no items, but having those items opens up various shortcuts. For example, there's a canyon you could cross either by climbing down, crossing on foot, then climbing back up OR if you have a Hookshot, you can grapple across. The Hookshot's not required, it just makes it easier.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 24, 2013

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

I don't know if they really mean "co-op" or any other kind of multiplayer. IGN says that they're reexamining "single-player gameplay," but in the actual presentation Aonuma used the phrase "play by yourself." If I had to guess, some kind of Demons' Souls-esque Miiverse integration seems just as likely.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This better have loving Tingle Tuner. :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I want to play the desert sequences of Skyward Sword again but I don't want to play the other 20 hours of the game. Help.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Am I alone in thinking that the dungeons in TP and SS are the best in the series? The problems I've had with both games lie with things outside the dungeons.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

This better have loving Tingle Tuner. :colbert:

The Wii U has the second screen for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still say the series peaked with the Oracle games.

Wind Waker was awesome, though, definitely the 3D Zelda I enjoyed the most. TP was just so boring.

The thing I want most from the next console title is the ability to write on the loving map like you can in the DS games. Playing a Zelda game should not require me to keep a goddamn notebook handy so I know where every dumb bombable wall or heart container is. :colbert:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
So I'm playing all the Zelda games right now, or at least all the mainline ones. I kinda just got started and I'm bad at games so I just got to LTTP.

gently caress Zelda 2.

There were moments where I really felt like I was getting the hang of it and starting to have fun but seriously fuuuuuuck Zelda 2. It's fine if they want to make the game hard, hell LoZ is pretty hard in NG+, but the random battles, grinding, and horrifically punishing death penalty are just nuts. I still can't believe I beat that stupid bird boss right before the end, I got insanely lucky.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Zelda 2 has literally zero redeeming qualities. Even within the tiny genre of "obtuse NES RPG-platformers" it doesn't measure up to Faxanadu.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

What did you think of the original Zelda? I still really enjoy it, especially since it's so easy to try dungeons in a different order, or get items before you're expected to.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

That loving Sned posted:

What did you think of the original Zelda? I still really enjoy it, especially since it's so easy to try dungeons in a different order, or get items before you're expected to.

I thought it was pretty rad. When I first started it I thought it was just a more primitive LTTP and I guess if you were to list all of its elements out on a piece of paper it would look like that but in reality it's a LTTP that is much more mysterious and open. It reminds me of Dark Souls in a big way.

I definitely got frustrated with it at times but if you explore a lot you can find stuff that helps big time(more heart pieces, a better sword) and that's pretty nice.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I'm not sure why you would call Zelda 2 out for grinding. You never have to grind in that game; even if you only kill the enemies you run into in caves and dungeons, you'll maintain a good level of strength throughout the game. I don't think the random battles are a big deal either, since Zelda 2 is an action game and each battle is more engaging than it would be if the game were an RPG. I agree that the death penalty is a little annoying at first, but it stops mattering after you get the hammer.

But full disclosure, the NES Zelda games are my second and third favorites in the series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I definitely remember having to do a bunch of grinding to max everything out in 2. Enough that I remember it as "a grindy as gently caress game".

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Well, yeah, of course the game is going be grindy if you decide to max out all of your stats. There's no reason to do that, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Well, yeah, of course the game is going be grindy if you decide to max out all of your stats. There's no reason to do that, though.

Well I was a kid when I beat it so who knows, but I barely beat the final dungeon after about five thousand tries and felt like I definitely needed max health, magic and attack. v:v:v

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Well I was a kid when I beat it so who knows, but I barely beat the final dungeon after about five thousand tries and felt like I definitely needed max health, magic and attack. v:v:v

Agreed. In theory you can beat that whole game at level 1 everything(except for the mana required to cast spells I guess) but if you are playing it for the first time I seriously doubt you will. Getting to level 8 attack and life seemed downright necessary for me and I struggled until I got there.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I'm not sure why you would call Zelda 2 out for grinding. You never have to grind in that game; even if you only kill the enemies you run into in caves and dungeons, you'll maintain a good level of strength throughout the game. I don't think the random battles are a big deal either, since Zelda 2 is an action game and each battle is more engaging than it would be if the game were an RPG. I agree that the death penalty is a little annoying at first, but it stops mattering after you get the hammer.

But full disclosure, the NES Zelda games are my second and third favorites in the series.

I don't think it being an action game automatically makes the random battles more engaging. They might be more physically demanding but if anything that's worse. Sometimes by the time I even got back to a dungeon I'd just be tired of playing. Also, by the end there are random battles with flying moas and instant death pits so it is very, very easy to die.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Any news on an original Zelda game for the 3DS?

And Wind Waker looks pretty on the Wii U but I will only buy a Wii U and the game if they include the dungeons that were cut from the original game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm weird. I liked Zelda II better than Zelda I. Zelda I's just unplayable to me.

• Locked thread