Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

There's a small bit part in a couple of episodes, so I looked up the character, then looked up the actor to see what else he's in. The reason I'm being so needlessly vague is because the first result for a google on his name, is his own Facebook page. Like, not a fan page, I mean it's just, the guy. I think that's pretty funny - since they used so many local and small players, these are people with lives and responsibilities. If that's something that's okay to post I'll link it, but it's nothing particularly noteworthy, just a "hey, it's him".

Chris Partlow will talk to you on Twitter.

I've also had extensive conversations with Dukie. He thoroughly enjoyed when I said "yo, Duke, man, you scared away the birds"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Brodie's one of the most depressing deaths in the entire series. Especially when you remember that even Pootmanaged to get out of the game and start shilling at the local footlocker. Bodie :smith:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

SpookyLizard posted:

Brodie's one of the most depressing deaths in the entire series. Especially when you remember that even Pootmanaged to get out of the game and start shilling at the local footlocker. Bodie :smith:

Bodie

But I think Poot's exit from the game had a lot to deal with Bodie's death. Remember, he remained in the game briefly after that.

Which begs the question, how did Marlo let one of his crew members just disappear? Presumably because he had too much heat on the bodies at the time, and had to lay low. Plus Poot never crossed him otherwise.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Was that the order it happened? I don't remember exactly how it went, it's been a while since I got all the way through the series. I have his horrendous habit of having to start from the beginning of the series.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

SpookyLizard posted:

Was that the order it happened? I don't remember exactly how it went, it's been a while since I got all the way through the series. I have his horrendous habit of having to start from the beginning of the series.

Yeah, I have seen it 3/4 times... I'm drat near a Wire savant.

Remember, Poot tried to save Bodie from his inevitable murder "Bodie you better run yo. . . Bodie, come on man...) That was the Season 4 finale. We don't see Poot until Season 5, Episode 8, the 3rd to last episode of the whole show.

Don't fret on your memory. I have the memory of an elephant, despite all the time I spend trying to erase and repress my memories.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I love speculating about the futures of the characters of this show. I know it's not the most practical thing to do given that the writers have said everything they want to say about them, but I can't help not imagining what McNulty or Michael do following the last credits. Perhaps the most interesting to speculate on is Marlo though - the guy has millions of dollars of clean money. Enough to get out of the game for good and live a pretty lavish lifestyle if he wants it. But all he cares about is his rep, as he shows in his last scene. I like to think that without Chris and Snoop backing him, Marlo attempts to get back in the game and gets taken out by Michael. Maybe too Hollywood I know, but that would have been a fierce showdown.

EDIT - I love "you're a soldier Boadie". You can tell McNulty actually has a lot of respect for Boadie, but it's laced with a bit of sadness too. Great line that really sums up a relationship between two compelling characters.

Michael doesn't last long in the game. He uproots and moves to Beverly Hills to attend high school.

Speculating about The Wire is always fun, though. I like to think if another season had been around it would have been about crime moving to the edges of the city and certain sections of the county, where it does go in real life. The neighborhoods The Wire plays out in had been bad for decades and the characters were born into an already hosed up environment. It would be interesting to see neighborhoods in transition and what happens when the old generation when faced with a new generation of people.

SlimWhiskey
Jun 1, 2010
Rewatched the first episode the other day, and something occurred to me. How exactly does McNulty know about Avon? I've seen the episode three times, but it never seems explained. When questioned about it, McNulty just says "Everyone knows." But he seems to be the only guy in the whole BPD who has even heard the name.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

SlimWhiskey posted:

Rewatched the first episode the other day, and something occurred to me. How exactly does McNulty know about Avon? I've seen the episode three times, but it never seems explained. When questioned about it, McNulty just says "Everyone knows." But he seems to be the only guy in the whole BPD who has even heard the name.

I think Avon's lack of name recognition is deliberately exaggerated to emphasize how much the BPD has gone away from actual meaningful investigations and how concentrated they are on the worthless street-level stuff.

Also, I think the story is supposed to be that Avon hadn't been the king for that long before the series started. McNulty knows about him only because of the several witnesses they scared or bought away, and I think he gives Rawls like 3 or 4 names aside from the guy D killed. My guess is he saw Stringer and co in the courtroom and just did some independent work to figure out who they were.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think it's meant to demonstrate that McNulty keeps his finger at least somewhat on the pulse of the street. Remember one of the key themes is just how detached from the street most of the organizations/bureaucracies are, particularly in season 5 when the "hero" of the newspaper fights a war over the integrity of their reporting while remaining completely ignorant of what is happening in the city as well as the MASSIVE story of the poo poo McNulty pulled.

Narcotics had no idea who Avon is and they're the ones who are meant to be going after people like him. I'd say McNulty (homicide) knew because of the bodies that were dropped during Avon's rise to the top, and his investigations hitting a brick-wall where the most he could find out was that the dead people were ones who had stood in the path of what were now known as "Barksdale corners".

GreenCard78 posted:

Michael doesn't last long in the game. He uproots and moves to Beverly Hills to attend high school.

Speculating about The Wire is always fun, though. I like to think if another season had been around it would have been about crime moving to the edges of the city and certain sections of the county, where it does go in real life. The neighborhoods The Wire plays out in had been bad for decades and the characters were born into an already hosed up environment. It would be interesting to see neighborhoods in transition and what happens when the old generation when faced with a new generation of people.

From memory they were keen to do something about the growing Latino population in Baltimore but they were lucky to get a fifth season as it was and they admitted that neither of them (Simon or Burns) could really speak as any kind of authority on the subject, whereas between them they were experts with firsthand knowledge of the police, the politics, the newspapers and the school system. I don't know if they had any background into the docks for season 2, but they sure as hell pulled that off.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

GreenCard78 posted:

Well, I see him at least lasting as long as Omar... but then I read your joke so, never mind that.

SlimWhiskey posted:

Three words: he's natural poh-lice. Remember, he was aware of Anthony Little (Omar's brother) even when another great detective, Kima, hadn't the slightest clue.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Listen, Kima. Do not tell me you don't remember No-Heart Anthony. drat girl, what town you been police in all these years?

Unrelated but one of the funnier things about the show is the worst performances came from the actual actors. Dominic West and his godawful accent especially.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 25, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

watt par posted:

Listen, Kima. Do not tell me you don't remember No-Heart Anthony. drat girl, what town you been police in all these years?

Unrelated but one of the funnier things about the show is the worst performances came from the actual actors. Dominic West and his godawful accent especially.

First comment is hilarious.

But I wouldn't say McNulty is the wost character. No two ways about it. He's complex, and of course, a fan favorite. Besides he only slipped on his accent less than a half-dozen times.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

escape artist posted:

First comment is hilarious.

But I wouldn't say McNulty is the wost character. No two ways about it. He's complex, and of course, a fan favorite. Besides he only slipped on his accent less than a half-dozen times.

In interviews he will even say he had trouble narrowing the accent down, and it really slipped out when he A) Had a British director or B) Had scenes with Idris Elba.

And I love me some Idris (mmmmmmhmmmmmm) but I think it's sad he's really the only actor from this show to get stardom. Wendell Pierce and Clark Peters got to move on to Treme (and Peters is about to be my favorite bad guy on Person of Interest) and other non-locals have gotten bit parts here and there, but it feels like Dominic West pretty much disappeared from the American radar, and that makes me sad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Check out Appropriate Adult if you get a chance, Dominic West is utterly terrifying in it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

chesh posted:

In interviews he will even say he had trouble narrowing the accent down, and it really slipped out when he A) Had a British director or B) Had scenes with Idris Elba.

And I love me some Idris (mmmmmmhmmmmmm) but I think it's sad he's really the only actor from this show to get stardom. Wendell Pierce and Clark Peters got to move on to Treme (and Peters is about to be my favorite bad guy on Person of Interest) and other non-locals have gotten bit parts here and there, but it feels like Dominic West pretty much disappeared from the American radar, and that makes me sad.

West plays in lovely American films... albeit usually bit parts... So take that for what its worth.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

chesh posted:

And I love me some Idris (mmmmmmhmmmmmm) but I think it's sad he's really the only actor from this show to get stardom.
Idris is the only member of the cast who has real star power though, in the old-school, marquee-idol sense. There's talk about him playing the next James Bond. It'll never happen because racism, unfortunately, but it's a plausible call.

I think this was at least partly by design. Stringer needed to be played by a capital-S Star.

[e: And Michael B. Jordan but his star potential didn't kick in until well post-Wallace.]

spite house fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 25, 2013

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

chesh posted:

300, Punisher, maybe Centurion and John Carter are the only movies I'd expect most people to have seen him in recently.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Unzip and Attack posted:

Perhaps the most interesting to speculate on is Marlo though - the guy has millions of dollars of clean money. Enough to get out of the game for good and live a pretty lavish lifestyle if he wants it. But all he cares about is his rep, as he shows in his last scene.
This is why that scene really stuck with me, he walks out of a high rise in a suit worth a few thousand dollars and nearly gets killed just to prove something to himself. And that's pretty much the last character moment we get from him, despite him walking away with millions as you said

E: So apparently youtube comments are actually quite on point when it comes to discussing the wire and I just re-watched this scene. The two guys on the block are swapping tall tales about Omar, like "so Omar had an AK and was surrounded by nine guys," when Marlo walks up and asks, "do you know who I am?" He's literally walking away from a legitimate path out of the game, to look for the respect on the streets which is instantly thrown back in his face. good stuff, i've only watched the show once.

cargo cult fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 25, 2013

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Glynn Turman is Don Cheadle's father in House of Lies. I hope they expand on his character in that show because so far it's been somewhat lackluster.

cargo cult posted:

E: So apparently youtube comments are actually quite on point when it comes to discussing the wire and I just re-watched this scene. The two guys on the block are swapping tall tales about Omar, like "so Omar had an AK and was surrounded by nine guys," when Marlo walks up and asks, "do you know who I am?" He's literally walking away from a legitimate path out of the game, to look for the respect on the streets which is instantly thrown back in his face. good stuff, i've only watched the show once.

This is one of the few times you can feel for the guy. He just wants to be known. Money is cool and all but so many of his men failed him by never telling him "let Marlo know who is loving with him!" Omar definitely wanted that known and it didn't get through but I think there were a few other characters, too.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

escape artist posted:

West plays in lovely American films... albeit usually bit parts... So take that for what its worth.

He's really good in Punisher: War Zone, co-starring Rome's Ray Stevenson. It's also 180 degrees away from The Wire in terms of legitimate commentary on criminal activity and the drug trade, but when a film is aiming to be the best 1980s action flick ever made, can you blame it?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Spoilers Below posted:

He's really good in Punisher: War Zone

Like I said.... lovely American movies ;)

Forgive me, not only am I a cinephile in the making, but comic book movies are something I refuse to watch.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He's in British programing regularly.

I really enjoyed the humble-rear end motherfucker with a big dick in Horrible Bosses. But it was christmas day so I'm pretty sure I'd drank enough to enjoy even Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

LordPants posted:

I really enjoyed the humble-rear end motherfucker with a big dick in Horrible Bosses. But it was christmas day so I'm pretty sure I'd drank enough to enjoy even Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones.

Hey... he ain't all the humble ;)

Anyway, one funny comment from Dominic West was that he kept trying to say "snotboogie" over and over... and despite voice coaching, it all sounded the same to him. "Snotboogie... I just said that!"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

LordPants posted:

The Hour's alright. He's not too bad in that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

escape artist posted:

Which begs the question, how did Marlo let one of his crew members just disappear? Presumably because he had too much heat on the bodies at the time, and had to lay low. Plus Poot never crossed him otherwise.

Doubt that he even knew about Poot's existence. He was just Bodie's second, just another street face to Marlo and so low that he couldn't exactly reveal anything to anyone.

EDIT: About post-show hypothesizing, can you imagine how terrifying Wee-Bey and Chris in prison together, presumably working for Avon are going to be? Oz's bodycount isn't going to hold a candle when those two get going. :stare:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 25, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DarkCrawler posted:

Doubt that he even knew about Poot's existence. He was just Bodie's second, just another street face to Marlo and so low that he couldn't exactly reveal anything to anyone.

He knew about Lil Kevin, Bodie's..... 3rd in line at least. Granted, Marlo doesn't take any chances when it comes to people disrespecting his name or spending 36 hours in police custody, although Kevin's downfall was not following Marlo's exact orders

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Wood Harris' career might be on the upswing again. At least he's starting to do bigger things then tv guest spots now.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zythrst posted:

Wood Harris' career might be on the upswing again. At least he's starting to do bigger things then tv guest spots now.

He deserves it. I can't imagine anybody playing Avon but him, and he did one hell of a job, and stood out, despite the cast being flush with extraordinary talent. Last I heard he we doing some B or C movie... They actually let you walk on the set, that's how far he fell.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
The worst thing is Andre Royo apparently being condemned to get bit parts forever, despite his amazing work in the Wire. It seriously blows my mind that an actor with his charisma and comedic timing doesn't have a regular gig in something.

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...

escape artist posted:

He deserves it. I can't imagine anybody playing Avon but him, and he did one hell of a job, and stood out, despite the cast being flush with extraordinary talent. Last I heard he we doing some B or C movie... They actually let you walk on the set, that's how far he fell.

Ehhhh

I like the actor, love Avon. His acting range hasn't seemed to break the Avon mold in the things I've seen him in.

I've got season one ready to start my fifth or sixth rewatch of the series. I had been (re)watching Law & Order and Law & Order: SVU and saw pretty much everyone from The Wire except McNulty, Sidnor, and Lester.

Bunk will be in next weeks Suits if anyone is interested.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Aren't a lot of those guys largely stage actors? I know Prez is a member of Steppenwolf in Chicago.

Law & Order is pretty much a Broadway actor side gig farm system.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 25, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Protocol 5 posted:

The worst thing is Andre Royo apparently being condemned to get bit parts forever, despite his amazing work in the Wire. It seriously blows my mind that an actor with his charisma and comedic timing doesn't have a regular gig in something.

I saw him in The Collection recently and he has only 1 or 2 lines, so to me he was still Bubbles. A flak-jacketed, machine gun toting Bubbles that gets a meathook through the face. Very disturbing to see that happen to Bubbles.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

I saw him in The Collection recently and he has only 1 or 2 lines, so to me he was still Bubbles. A flak-jacketed, machine gun toting Bubbles that gets a meathook through the face. Very disturbing to see that happen to Bubbles.

Well if he kept firing off like that, he was bound to fall out someday.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Boywhiz88 posted:

Well if he kept firing off like that, he was bound to fall out someday.

You're thinking of Johnny. He was given this advice by two elder heroin addicts, and well... and it's slamming poo poo like that. Sorry, I'm a Wire savant... and sure enough, Bubbles and the unnamed elder heroin addict were drat right. They even used the same wording-- if not the same advice verbatim-- when speaking to him. Sadly, they were both right.

Also, Andre Royo had an amazing, albeit brief, cameo in Bob's Burgers a few weeks back. The nude beach episode.

"Hi, I'm Andre Royo, better known as Bubbles from The Wire, but today I am here to talk about a different kind of bubbles-- soap bubbles-- you need to wash your hands to to the count of 1,000..." So out of the blue and hilarious for Wire fans. I can't find it on Youtube, though.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 25, 2013

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
What's everyones favorite opening theme variation? Two is perfect to me and really captures the melancholy/dock feeling. One is a classic, of course.

I'm not the biggest fan of five.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Four, strangely enough. It fits the darkness of Season 4 (and has a bitching guitar solo).

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Season 3 for me is by far the best. Not only do I have a shameful love for the Neville Brothers, the credits themselves feature my favorite little clip in all the opening credits, Major Colvin donning his police hat while walking by a slide show of crime stats. That shot speaks volumes and having Aaron Neville going on in the background is just perfect.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Andre Royo, Method Man (Cheese), and Tristan Wilds (Michael) were all in a pretty awful movie called Red Tails last year.

For me season 1 is the best by itself, but I really like every rendition when I'm watching the season in question. The Wire is one of the few shows that I actually watch the opening credits every time.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
One is the best for (Blind Boys of Alabama) and two is pretty great since it's actually the Tom Waits version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Protocol 5 posted:

He was in an episode of Criminal Minds as a killer. He had no lines. He was goddamn awesome.