Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dehry posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/09/nintendo-of-koreas-eshop-is-an-import-store-with-shin-megami-tensei-iv-kagura-burst/

It may seem odd, but if you can only buy one 3DS, go for the Korean one. They apparently have an import section in their eShop with English releases and additional Japanese games.

I wonder what the chances are that we could pester Nintendo for something like that.

Didn't Nintendo do the import concept with the Wii Virtual Console? With stuff like Sin and Punishment, even. I'd say Nintendo could probably do something like that in the future when the library has really swelled in mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Evil Canadian posted:

So what's the deal with screen protectors? I have seen a lot of goons recommend one for the XL and is this just a placebo effect or what? My old DS survived through countless hours of EBA spinning and being thrown around everywhere and lived just fine without any screen protector.

What if anything makes one so important for the XL?

Nothing. But it's like 8 bucks for peace of mind and not having to worry about unsightly scratches and people keep asking about it every couple of pages, so it's just easier to keep saying "yes, buy a screen protector", because seriously. It's 8 bucks.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Right on. I'm probably going to become a bit of a regular in this thread over the next few weeks/months so I'll spew a few questions - sorry if these have been asked to death in the old thread:

1. Do only some DS games look 'bad' on the 3DS XL? I have yet to play both of the DS Zelda games and Aliens Infestation, and I don't know if I will be getting to them before I get my 3DS XL.

2. Is there any (legal) way to play GBA games on the 3DS - this has to be via emulation only, right? I am still keeping an old DS Lite around for my GBA purposes...

3. Any of you that follow this scene closely, do you know if any of the following games/series going to be coming out?
a) remakes of Final Fantasy V thru IX
b) Chrono Cross
c) Civilization
d) A Dragon Quest game (core RPG series, not a spin-off)
e) a Metroidvania style game
f) Is Fire Emblem really only coming out in the UK at the end of the year?
g) Any Tony Hawk games?

4. Hang on, hang on, so I can not get those GBA games or certain other cool things because I am not a 3DS Ambassador...?

5. Is Zelda on 3DS better than the N64 version in any way (ie, improved in any way or straight port? Isn't the 3DS' resolution lower than the N64's?)

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 24, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

3. Any of you that follow this scene closely, do you know if any of the following games/series going to be coming out?

There's a bunch of Dragon Quest games lurking around, but the likelihood of them dropping overseas is suspect. The big one that probably will come to the West is the kickin' rad looking remake of Dragon Quest 7, and no Fire Emblem is going to come out at a reasonable time (like April or something)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Policenaut posted:

The big one that probably will come to the West is the kickin' rad looking remake of Dragon Quest 7, and no Fire Emblem is going to come out at a reasonable time (like April or something)

Great news about Fire Emblem!

Heard much about this DQ7 remake? Will it combat what I have heard of being some long, empty grindy sections in DQ7 (that was a PS1 game, right?). Expected launch date...?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Heard much about this DQ7 remake? Will it combat what I have heard of being some long, empty grindy sections in DQ7 (that was a PS1 game, right?). Expected launch date...?

There's been a bunch of stuff coming out about the remake but I haven't paid that close enough attention to it. Here's a brand new launch trailer for the remake that should give you a better idea of what it looks like. And yeah, DQ7 had some emptier sections in its original PS1 version but I have no idea how they're going about remaking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ8xOVmBkjU

I loved this game so I'm totally on board whenever Square and Nintendo decide to bring it overseas.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

BadAstronaut posted:

5. Is Zelda on 3DS better than the N64 version in any way (ie, improved in any way or straight port? Isn't the 3DS' resolution lower than the N64's?)

They tightened up the graphics on some textures and models, so it does look better.

Tinsin
Nov 3, 2012
So, the 3DSXL seems pretty cool, but what sets it apart from the regular one enough that I should buy the XL?

I mean, I already own a 3DS. Does anything in particular make it a must-buy?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Tinsin posted:

So, the 3DSXL seems pretty cool, but what sets it apart from the regular one enough that I should buy the XL?

I mean, I already own a 3DS. Does anything in particular make it a must-buy?

The differences are laid out pretty well in the OP. Also, Google.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Right on. I'm probably going to become a bit of a regular in this thread over the next few weeks/months so I'll spew a few questions - sorry if these have been asked to death in the old thread:

1. Do only some DS games look 'bad' on the 3DS XL? I have yet to play both of the DS Zelda games and Aliens Infestation, and I don't know if I will be getting to them before I get my 3DS XL.

2. Is there any (legal) way to play GBA games on the 3DS - this has to be via emulation only, right? I am still keeping an old DS Lite around for my GBA purposes...

a) remakes of Final Fantasy V thru IX
b) Chrono Cross
c) Civilization
d) A Dragon Quest game (core RPG series, not a spin-off)
e) a Metroidvania style game
f) Is Fire Emblem really only coming out in the UK at the end of the year?
g) Any Tony Hawk games?

4. Hang on, hang on, so I can not get those GBA games or certain other cool things because I am not a 3DS Ambassador...?

1. It depends on your definition of "bad." I don't mind it all that much, for 3D games specifically. If you have a 3DSXL you can play it at it's normal resolution and it's about the size of the normal DS screen.
2. Currently there is no way to legally obtain GBA games on the 3DS without having an Ambassador 3DS. If they decide to change this, they'll probably announce it at E3, after which a game will probably instantly available for purchase.
3. For all of your bullet points the answer is "nothing announced yet" besides e. Shantae Risky's Revenge and it's upcoming sequel are Metroidvania games. I wouldn't plan on seeing any Tony Hawk games on the 3DS, but who knows.
4. Nope! Some of the NES games are available, but It's pretty much them admitting that they fleeced us on the price. The GBA games are currently the only unique thing we have. We got Zelda 1, 2 and the original Super Mario Bros, but a lot of the games we got are nothing to write home about. Yoshi for NES is particularly bad, as far as I'm concerned.
5. There are subtle updates to the controls, they added gyroscopic control to the bow and slingshot, everything is more animated and the game all-around looks nicer. They also added Master Quest for after you beat the original. They took out most game-breaking glitches while keeping in some helpful ones. Also having your inventory always open makes the game far less tedious in places. If you're really into Ocarina of Time and want a better/more convenient way to play it it's a must-buy. If you've played it to death and know it like the back of your hand, you probably shouldn't bother, even though it does look nicer.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

BadAstronaut posted:

DQ7 is a really episodic game (moreso than any other DQ game), and I think that'll work much better on a portable system. We won't really know much for sure until it comes out in two weeks (in Japan) though.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hello. I want to buy a 3DSxl in the future for games like Soul Hackers as well as a bunch of others that are coming out. I live in the UK and a few of these games are only going to NA. How would I go about getting a 3DS which I could use to play these games with? Do I just buy an NA region one and import NA games for it? Thanx for the help.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

I.N.R.I posted:

Hello. I want to buy a 3DSxl in the future for games like Soul Hackers as well as a bunch of others that are coming out. I live in the UK and a few of these games are only going to NA. How would I go about getting a 3DS which I could use to play these games with? Do I just buy an NA region one and import NA games for it? Thanx for the help.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Yes. If you want NA only games import an NA DS and NA games.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Caitlin posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Yes. If you want NA only games import an NA DS and NA games.

I'm sorry, I only read the first post and missed the second one. I was wondering if there was some e-shop poo poo to think about or whatever. Well, thanks for answering anyway.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

I'm sorry, I only read the first post and missed the second one. I was wondering if there was some e-shop poo poo to think about or whatever. Well, thanks for answering anyway.

Assuming it's the same in the UK as it is here in Australia (I don't see why it wouldn't be) the e-shop (using a US 3DS) won't accept non US credit cards/addresses, so you will need to buy US cash cards/e-shop cards to redeem. This isn't really that big of an issue though with them being available digitally from places like http://www.maximuscards.com where you receive the code to redeem instantly.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

BadAstronaut posted:

Judge for yourself.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
I just picked up a 3DS XL with MarioKart and a few other games. Sorry if I missed it, but I don't see a friend code trading thread, where's the goon list?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

I'd say, even more so than the graphics, that the new controls are what make it better. The new UI makes Ocarina way more fun to play because I'm spending far less time switching items in and out.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

BadAstronaut posted:

I think it's one of the better (if not best) reissues of a game ever. I liked a lot of the fixes and convenience things they put in to make everything a more streamlined experience. The key feature though that sold it was having 4 'c button' item slots as well as having the open inventory on the bottom which made things like taking the iron boots on and off far less painful than the original game. Would have called it a success for that alone.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Are you kidding me?? That's way better... Going to have to get that. Are they going to redo the other N64 Zelda game?

Also, DQ7 looks excellent - those two alone are looking like they'll make the system worth it to me.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 25, 2013

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

BadAstronaut posted:

Are you kidding me?? That's way better... Going to have to get that. Are they going to redo the other N64 Zelda game?

Also, DQ7 looks excellent - those two alone are looking like they'll make the system worth it to me.

Remaking Majora's Mask would send a very large contigent of nintendo fans right over the drat moon, so I think it would be prudent, to say the least.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

Didn't Nintendo do the import concept with the Wii Virtual Console? With stuff like Sin and Punishment, even. I'd say Nintendo could probably do something like that in the future when the library has really swelled in mass.

It's not an "import section" per se, Nintendo just lets international publishers put their crap on the Korean eShop without localising anything. The HK/iQue stores work the same way, from what I gather.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not an "import section" per se, Nintendo just lets international publishers put their crap on the Korean eShop without localising anything. The HK/iQue stores work the same way, from what I gather.

Oh, so it's akin to Sony's PSOne Imports program then? Where publishers just get Westerners to dump Japanese game ISOs on the PSN? Well, I guess that could work too.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Zest posted:

Remaking Majora's Mask would send a very large contigent of nintendo fans right over the drat moon, so I think it would be prudent, to say the least.

poo poo I hope they do, because I still haven't played that. After looking at that, I went looking for a Star Fox N64/3ds comparison. Star Fox for the 3ds is certainly nicer like OOT for the 3ds does, but for some reason feels a lot less impressive to me.

Also posting to say Theatrythmn is the best thing, holy poo poo. Even if that is praise is a little late.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I got the latest Future Shop and Best Buy flyers for Canada and it looks like the 3DSs are going to be 40 bucks off starting tomorrow. I'll probably cave and get one even though I'm buying a massive new cage for my cockatiels.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Zest posted:

Good thing the moon would be coming to them :v:

But seriously, how Nintendo have not released an updated MM is beyond me, I guess they don't like warehouses full of cash.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Just decided to write a short list of 3DS games that I will pick up at some point, in some cases once they are released, (and in some cases, IF they are released in NA), and I realize how good of a library this system is developing:
Devil Survivor Overclocked (and 2, eventually)
Fire Emblem
Luigi's Mansion
Dragon Quest VII (if it's released here)
Theatrhythm
The two SMT games
Etrian Odyssey 4
Pokemon X
Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning
Kingdom Hearts 3D
MH3 Ultimate
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

And I already have a ton of great games for it. I wonder if things are looking this good in the Vita thread...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They already said they were debating whether to remake MM or work on a new game, and given that they're now remaking WW for Wii U they'll probably make something new for 3DS.

I know Miyamoto wanted to make a new LttP-style game for 3DS because he thinks it'd look good with stereoscopic 3D.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Green Puddin posted:

But seriously, how Nintendo have not released an updated MM is beyond me, I guess they don't like warehouses full of cash.

There was something about them taking doing it under consideration.

e: ^^ drat you. A LttP-style game would loving rock, too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Green Puddin posted:

That can probably be answered with "Wind Waker HD". I'm expecting it'll turn up some time after Wind Waker HD or whatever new Legend of Zelda comes after it. (Wasn't there also a statement of them wanting to avoid stagnation or something that was part of the reason they didn't jump on an MM3D immediately after Ocarina?)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Have they said anything about getting to dharma temple earlier in dq7? All of the other changes look great, but the original battle system was so shallow before you could change classes.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully whatever portable 3DS Zelda game they make will have normal controls, stylus only killed phantom hourglass and spirit tracks for me.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until after the WW HD release to put out Majora's Mask 3D. They said they were also making an original 3DS Zelda title and probably don't want to flood the market by releasing Zelda games back to back to back (though I'd buy them all :ohdear:).

Also Miyamoto wasn't talking about a LttP-style game so much as an actual remake of LttP. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 25, 2013

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I'm pleasantly surprised at how passable the new Brain Age demo is. I hadn't heard anything about it until the demo dropped on the eShop; lo and behold, it turns out that Demon Training game I kept hearing so much about at launch is the new Brain Age game.

having a voice-over for Dr. Kawashima really weirds me out for some reason

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until after the WW HD release to put out Majora's Mask 3D. They said they were also making an original 3DS Zelda title and probably don't want to flood the market by releasing Zelda games back to back to back (though I'd buy them all :ohdear:).

Also Miyamoto wasn't talking about a LttP-style game so much as an actual remake of LttP. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

He said both, depending on the interview and/or the translator.

The thing they were weighing up RE: remakes of MM or LttP or whatever is that they usually use remakes as a way of training new directors that Miyamoto thinks aren't ready to handle an original game, and that they didn't think 3DS owners would prefer a new title as opposed to back-to-back remakes.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Well drat it, I'd gone and forgotten about the blasted mascot character in Tales of the Abyss and then I put the cart in and BAM.

Bah. Almost regret the purchase. Do not regret the EO4 preorder. :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Eh, Mieu's not that bad. Like he's annoying but he could have been so much worse. And Luke beats a man unconscious with him at one point.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo's finally letting people talk about Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon's multiplayer mode titled "Hunter Mode", here's the tl;dr:

-Supports online play, multi-card local play and a stripped down version that uses single-card download play

-Up to four players (coloured Luigis) have to work together to clear all the ghosts from a randomised "scarescraper" within a certain time limit; the game ends if time runs out or all players are downed simultaneously

-Scarescrapers can be set to 5, 10, 25 or infinite floors, with three difficulty settings

-Boss fights every five floors

-After clearing every floor there's a red coin bonus rush; if players manage to collect all the red coins before time runs out unlocks a roulette wheel which rewards players with additional power-ups and vacuum upgrades, with the players who collected the most coins more likely to receive a bonus

-Score breakdowns between each floor list various player stats (most vacuums, most downed player, most coins, etc) and awards players various titles based on their performance a la Four Swords

-No voice chat, from the looks of things, but you can spam little pre-determined messages like "HEY" or whatever. I guess they map to the d-pad?

The people doing the write-ups are suggesting that there are other multiplayer modes that Nintendo's still not ready to show off, too.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Endorph posted:

Eh, Mieu's not that bad. Like he's annoying but he could have been so much worse. And Luke beats a man unconscious with him at one point.

Mieu is absolutely terrible and Abyss as a whole is a relic of a game that is out of place in this decade. Boring gameplay, boring characters, nonsensical story. It's okay if you disagree but you're strill wrong!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Louisgod posted:

Mieu is absolutely terrible and Abyss as a whole is a relic of a game that is out of place in this decade. Boring gameplay, boring characters, nonsensical story. It's okay if you disagree but you're strill wrong!!

Boring characters, gameplay and story all sound like what we're getting all the time this decade, so I dunno where this 'out of place' stuff is coming from.

• Locked thread