Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Boring characters, gameplay and story all sound like what we're getting all the time this decade, so I dunno where this 'out of place' stuff is coming from.

Tales of Graces combat is several million times more enjoyable that Tales of the Abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like Tales of the Abyss so far. There's just something about the charm of a PS2 JRPG that can't make me hate it. Although I do agree that the blue thing is horrible.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The beautiful final boss sequence makes up for all of Abyss's other flaws.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Mieu is absolutely terrible and Abyss as a whole is a relic of a game that is out of place in this decade. Boring gameplay, boring characters, nonsensical story. It's okay if you disagree but you're strill wrong!!
Yeah? Well Xenoblade Chronicles is!

... Sort of okay? Goodish? 6/10?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Abyss is a great game hidden behind bad pacing and an insufferable protagonist. But it is seriously a good game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Abyss is a great game hidden behind bad pacing and an insufferable protagonist. But it is seriously a good game.

I've put 25 hours into it so far and am really, really struggling to see where the serious good is in it. I just left a town that was sinking or something so my team could go get a flying ship they heard about in passing on another continent. Yes, leave this sinking city to come back hours later and hope that people are still alive. I love the Tales games but Jesussss Abyss is a wreck. I'll go play it now and hope that something remotely fun happens.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Louisgod posted:

I've put 25 hours into it so far and am really, really struggling to see where the serious good is in it. I just left a town that was sinking or something so my team could go get a flying ship they heard about in passing on another continent. Yes, leave this sinking city to come back hours later and hope that people are still alive. I love the Tales games but Jesussss Abyss is a wreck. I'll go play it now and hope that something remotely fun happens.

They are leaving cause the town is doomed. Please don't tell me that there are characters that believe they can save those people who are sinking into like... miasma. I must be remembering the dialog wrong. You are almost at the point where Luke stops being a twat.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He's 25 hours in, I doubt he's at that point.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Edoraz posted:

They are leaving cause the town is doomed. Please don't tell me that there are characters that believe they can save those people who are sinking into like... miasma. I must be remembering the dialog wrong. You are almost at the point where Luke stops being a twat.

I'll let you know what happens and if Luke becomes less of a twat aside from his realization that he's a dick and nobody likes him because nobody understands the story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Luke never stops being a twat. At best he evolves to a different kind of twat.

I am admittedly biased because Luke is by a significant degree my least favorite JRPG protagonist ever. That fucker is awful.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

When I was playing through Abyss I was incredibly impressed at how unlikable they made Luke.

Then I stopped playing because I didn't think Abyss was very good.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Yeah Abyss isn't great. There's a billion other better Tales games to play, maybe they'll bring one of those to the 3DS eventually.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Call me a negative nancy, but I don't think we're going to see a Tales game on 3DS for a little while with the way Bandai Namco is going.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Policenaut posted:

Call me a negative nancy, but I don't think we're going to see a Tales game on 3DS for a little while with the way Bandai Namco is going.

I guess wait till Smash. Even if it sucks, it will only sell like, a billion copies. :v:

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

Is it just my imagination or is the 3ds XL circle pad a little slippery? I still have my old purple 3DS around (because it looks so baller, mainly), and it really seems to feel a little tighter. Suddenly I'm paranoid about wearing out the rubber on the thumb pad too!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

I.N.R.I posted:

I'm sorry, I only read the first post and missed the second one. I was wondering if there was some e-shop poo poo to think about or whatever. Well, thanks for answering anyway.

From what I've heard, the US version of the eshop can be pretty choosy when it comes to method of funds.

I think it's also worth noting that the region lock can extend to local multiplayer. So you can't play games like Dead or Alive Dimensions with your buddies who have PAL 3DS versions. (Internet play is fine, tho'.)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

BadAstronaut posted:

5. Is Zelda on 3DS better than the N64 version in any way (ie, improved in any way or straight port? Isn't the 3DS' resolution lower than the N64's?)

Late on this, but to get into brief technical :words: about this: the big difference lies in color depth and available VRAM. The 3DS' "action screen" has a lower technical resolution than the 64 (though most games output to 240p anyway, including Zelda IIRC), but the 3DS is capable of rendering full 32-bit color as its GPU is quite a bit more powerful; the N64 was limited to 16-bit color, despite the name. :v: This is why not just Zelda but a whole lot of N64 games look "washed-out" these days - the effective color palette available to the N64 was quite a bit less than what modern computing hardware can do. The 3DS also has far more video RAM, so it can store more complex textures (and the 32-bit color information on those textures) resulting in the models looking quite a bit better. The larger amount of VRAM and RAM in general means environments can be more complex and that the 3DS doesn't have to rely on fog nearly so much.

In short, the 3DS is more like a PS2 than an N64 in terms of power. So yeah, as you saw, Zelda looks a drat lot better. :3:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I know this is the 3DS discussion thread, but I was wondering if someone could help out with Etrian Odyssey 3. I've picked up the game again after setting it down and I'm having some trouble. My party is level 5, and I've unlocked the first sea quests, but my guys all go down like chumps to the bird boss at the lighthouse and even normal enemies on the second floor of the labyrinth. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

My party composition is Hoplite | Gladiator | Monk in front, and Zodiac | Princess in back (I thought I heard someone say before that you should have both a Monk and a Prince/ss in your team, but it's been so long I don't remember for sure).

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Try the Etrian Odyssey-thread.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

SpaceDrake posted:

Late on this, but to get into brief technical :words: about this: the big difference lies in color depth and available VRAM. The 3DS' "action screen" has a lower technical resolution than the 64 (though most games output to 240p anyway, including Zelda IIRC), but the 3DS is capable of rendering full 32-bit color as its GPU is quite a bit more powerful; the N64 was limited to 16-bit color, despite the name. :v: This is why not just Zelda but a whole lot of N64 games look "washed-out" these days - the effective color palette available to the N64 was quite a bit less than what modern computing hardware can do. The 3DS also has far more video RAM, so it can store more complex textures (and the 32-bit color information on those textures) resulting in the models looking quite a bit better. The larger amount of VRAM and RAM in general means environments can be more complex and that the 3DS doesn't have to rely on fog nearly so much.

In short, the 3DS is more like a PS2 than an N64 in terms of power. So yeah, as you saw, Zelda looks a drat lot better. :3:

There was only a handful of games that used the 640x480 resolution. Also, it was called the N64 because it has a 64bit processor, not because it had a 64bit color palette ;)

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So NOE have decided to revert Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon's name back to Luigi's Mansion 2 for PAL release.

I don't know what NOE has against overly acceptable sub titles and why they need to replace them with a bunch of words like Let's go to the City, or a plain old number like this.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Haquer posted:

There was only a handful of games that used the 640x480 resolution. Also, it was called the N64 because it has a 64bit processor, not because it had a 64bit color palette ;)

Yes, I do know these things, that's the point I was making. :v:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

Now I just need a raise, a bonus, anything, so I can justify this. :saddowns:

£169.99 from Amazon including Mario Kart, huh? Hmmmm....

And like magic a magazine I write for just gave me a freelance job that will allow me to afford this thing I don't in any way need! :toot:

UK goons, any recommendation on where I can get the best price/best bundle at the moment?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Well, I sold my 3DS back in June from a rather long drought of worthwhile games and a pending move that I needed the extra cash for more, but after 15 hours of overtime at work and the pending release of a bunch of good poo poo, I picked up a blue XL from Best Buy this morning.

Just to echo the sentiment, buy the loving XL unless you have some super pressing need for the extra portability. This thing feels way nicer than my original did. It's worlds apart. I'm gonna go dive in to Paper Mario now and try to drown out the sobs from my wallet as it waits for what's coming.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

No I am all about the XL, worry not. I have a DSi XL and a DS Lite as well, so will probably sell the DSi XL and replace with this thing.

I'm just wondering which bundle to go for and from which distributor/shop in the UK is the best option. It may well be the Amazon bundle that includes Mario Kart.

EDIT: My current AC Adaptor for my DSi/DS Lite will work with the 3DS, right?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 25, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Query about sleep mode: I tend to play on my 3DS XL on the subway to and from work (and sometimes during lunch). If I am playing games that are still stuck in this idiotic mindset of not having a suspend save, how does the XL's battery handle being in sleep mode for hours at a time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theshim posted:

Query about sleep mode: I tend to play on my 3DS XL on the subway to and from work (and sometimes during lunch). If I am playing games that are still stuck in this idiotic mindset of not having a suspend save, how does the XL's battery handle being in sleep mode for hours at a time?

Really well. I've left my 3DS on sleep mode for 2 days at a time and come back to half a battery left.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

theshim posted:

I've found if the wireless is off then the battery is pretty good but not nearly as energy efficient as the DS/Lite was. If the wireless is on and, say, you have it fully charged in the morning but keep it closed all day, it'll probably be at one less bar, which still isn't too bad.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

BadAstronaut posted:

EDIT: My current AC Adaptor for my DSi/DS Lite will work with the 3DS, right?

I know my DSi XL adapter is the same as the 3DS one.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The DS Lite takes a different adapter than the 3DS. I have both of them on my desk RIGHT NOW.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Crawfish posted:

So NOE have decided to revert Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon's name back to Luigi's Mansion 2 for PAL release.

I don't know what NOE has against overly acceptable sub titles and why they need to replace them with a bunch of words like Let's go to the City, or a plain old number like this.
Because Dark Moon is a loving terrible subtitle.
NoE did good on this one.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Ah, thanks, I didn't know there was one.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

The DS Lite takes a different adapter than the 3DS. I have both of them on my desk RIGHT NOW.

But the DSi XL has the same adapter as the 3DS XL as far as I can tell.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
There are four different handheld Nintendo chargers, if I remember correctly. Here they are with what they work with and the first time we saw them;

GBA SP Charger
GBA SP
Original DS (the fat one)

GBA Micro Charger

DS Lite charger

DSi Charger
DSi
DSi XL/LL
3DS
3DS XL/LL

Are there any I`m forgetting? Not including things like the Pokewalker (did that even recharge?)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Man, the GBA Micro. I had completely forgotten that thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's your Soul Hackers pre-order bonus, NA dudes:

Only six tracks, but whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 26, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I hadn't even heard of that until just now.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Regarding the Soul Hackers bonus, does anyone know if the "participating retails" are only the list of a handful on the site? 'Cause I have some Best Buy credit I'd like to use but would prefer to get the soundtrack.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I preordered the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle and have a few questions since I haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since the GB Color.

1) My friend used to tell me about his wifi issues with his DS. The 3DS supports WPA now right? Or will I still have to do some wifi fuckery to get things working?

2) 3 hours of battery sounds very little for a handheld. Are there any recommended extended battery packs I could get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Eddain posted:

I preordered the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle and have a few questions since I haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since the GB Color.

1) My friend used to tell me about his wifi issues with his DS. The 3DS supports WPA now right? Or will I still have to do some wifi fuckery to get things working?

2) 3 hours of battery sounds very little for a handheld. Are there any recommended extended battery packs I could get?

1) Yes, WPA is supported, but not for regular DS games.

2) The Nyko battery pack seemed to work reasonably well with the original model, though I don't recommend you use the charging cradle if you sleep nearby and aren't 4 years old.

• Locked thread