Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Nordick posted:

Why the gently caress did I open that link? WHY?! For dick's sake, what a bunch of loving posers. "Hey check it out we're like totally technical mathcore and we have this screaming chick that's like really cute and really edgy at the same time." Augh.

Can you explain why a band making music you don't like is a disgrace to an entire genre? Because I have really bad news, there are a shitload of bands like this.

And being angry that the vocalist is a girl is really pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

At least they only have one singer. Most of those bands have an extra frontman to do the lovely clean-singing techno parts and jog in place the rest of the time, because apparently even the hilariously heavy-handed auto-tune they invariably use can't save Swoopy Hair #1.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hulk Krogan posted:

At least they only have one singer. Most of those bands have an extra frontman to do the lovely clean-singing techno parts and jog in place the rest of the time, because apparently even the hilariously heavy-handed auto-tune they invariably use can't save Swoopy Hair #1.

:golfclap: This made me chuckle

But I do get how one band like that can be a disgrace to a genre. It's bands like this that cause those awkward moments when someone at work hears you're into metal and keeps talking about lovely bands he likes (Linkin Park or Disturbed seem to be the most common ones, but Iwrestledabearonce has been a culprit as well) and you are forced to either A: tolerate it or B: try to explain that that is not what you actually mean when you say you listen to metal without sounding like a complete :spergin:

Usually I just show them whatever brutal pig squeely dm or straight up satanic bm I can think of and tell them that's what I mean, and it gets them to leave.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 22, 2016

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

But I do get how one band like that can be a disgrace to a genre. It's bands like this that cause those awkward moments when someone at work hears you're into metal and keeps talking about lovely bands he likes (Linkin Park or Disturbed seem to be the most common ones, but Iwrestledabearonce has been a culprit as well) and you are forced to either A: tolerate it or B: try to explain that that is not what you actually mean when you say you listen to metal without sounding like a complete :spergin:

Usually I just show them whatever brutal pig squeely dm or straight up satanic bm I can think of and tell them that's what I mean, and it gets them to leave.

I had a coworker exactly like this and literally all I said was "Oh I don't like Breaking Benjamin/whatever other lovely band he liked" and that was it. Then he named a few more bands and we talked about how much we like Deicide. Yeah I don't get his taste in music either.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I always get a chuckle at these "Oh you like heavy stuff? That's awesome. I love Godsmack!" conversations. Usually I just try to take the opportunity to steer them towards Baroness or Mastodon or something.

The only times I've actually gotten pissed at that type of thing were back in the very early days of my band when we didn't know any better and somehow kept getting ourselves on shows where we were the only band on the bill that didn't cover an Attack Attack song.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
The last type of conversation I had regarding this sort of thing was when this one guy at work was listening to Battlecross on his headphones (I saw him pull it up on youtube). I got his attention and jokingly said "I didn't know you liked good music". He somehow had never heard of Amon Amarth and I showed him that and several other bands that he ended up really liking.

What I don't get is after almost an hour of that he wanted to show me some Rammstein video and some 80's cover song that Lacuna Coil did. :confused:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
An oldie, but this is still waaayyyyy worse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why not Trollfest? They loving own and I am glad they are finally going to make it over to North America. I am looking forward to seeing them the most!

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Hammer Floyd posted:

An oldie, but this is still waaayyyyy worse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8

Oh God, look at that keyboardist just headbanging away at his lil setup back there. It's cracking me up. You keep that up, keyboard kid.

This makes me wonder, why do bands like these always give their songs these silly pop culture names? I know The Devil Wears Prada also does it, along with the Wrestling Bear Band. Is there any reason to it other than lolrandom?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cheapsteaks posted:

Oh God, look at that keyboardist just headbanging away at his lil setup back there. It's cracking me up. You keep that up, keyboard kid.

To be fair, I think it's physically impossible to be cool when you're rocking a keyboard. Unless you're John Lord but that's not fair.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nerve posted:

Can you explain why a band making music you don't like is a disgrace to an entire genre?

It's called getting old and new things no longer appealing. Happens to everyone. The swoop-haired kids who moshed themselves silly to Attack Attack and Whitechapel will piss and moan about whatever's the new hotness in 2020 and wondering what happened to true metal like Suicide Silence.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I enjoyed Pandora's Pińata, but I'm kind of reluctant to try out this band Stolen Babies I keep hearing mentioned lately. Are they not opening for Coal Chamber on this recently contrived reunion effort?!?! I understood that there may be some musical ties to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. A band I've thoroughly enjoyed in the past for their experimental rock/metal-ism.
Stolen Babies is kind of interesting. I've been listening to them for years and I'm still not sure if I really like them or not. They've definitely got a huge Angel Dust-era Faith No More influence, and I hear the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum comparisons, but they also come dangerously close to the electro-twee of Mindless Self Indulgence. They're probably the only band I can think of that would have crossover appeal between a Coal Chamber show and Estradasphere.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Scorpion Child don't have an album out just yet, but they seem like the sort of kids you might not mind having on your lawn.

e: For dude who just found Razor, have some Sacrifice :canada:. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cF3_ZJhD-Q

Great Horny Toads! fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 25, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

watt par posted:

It's called getting old and new things no longer appealing. Happens to everyone. The swoop-haired kids who moshed themselves silly to Attack Attack and Whitechapel will piss and moan about whatever's the new hotness in 2020 and wondering what happened to true metal like Suicide Silence.
Not exactly. Yes I am getting older, but I listen to new things all the time. It's more about the fact that they are a)terrible and b)show no respect towards the genre that they are attempting to utilize in order to make said lovely music.

Wikipedia posted:

With the recording of the band's new album, which was revealed to be titled Ruining It for Everyone, guitarist Steven Bradley has stated that the group's new album will embrace black metal, along with the band incorporating the use of corpse paint. He expressed that the entire band agreed that they do not want to be pigeonholed as a band that is suffixed as "core" any longer and the new record will be "90% black metal". Bradley went on to say “We were sick of getting lumped in with ‘scene’ and ‘whatever-core’ bands, so we decided to embrace our roots and just go straight black metal on the new album. We had to change our image to match ...because of course that's just as important, if not more so, than the music.” The black metal musical shift was later confirmed to be a large practical joke orchestrated by the band and the heavy metal website MetalSucks. The band's upcoming album, Ruining It for Everybody had a song from the album premiered on the website with the staff confirming that it was all a prank and that the upcoming album "features no actual black metal". The group primarily executed the joke to reveal and parody the over-serious attitude in black metal fans.

The smug "oh ho ho" attitude of this just pisses me off. I realize it's hilarious to get mad about someone making fun of music you like, but metal's been good to me for 27-ish years at this point, so yeah - my panties get in a twist.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
While we're talking about weird metal stuff, here's a video of a technical doom metal band playing at a water park. Confessor are an amazing band and seeing them live (not at a water park) was mind-blowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvUwx11d__k

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

nerve posted:

And being angry that the vocalist is a girl is really pathetic.
Yeah uh, you kinda massively missed my point there dude. How about reading a bit more carefully next time instead of just assuming the other guy is some sexist twat, k?
I have no problem with the vocalist being a girl. My problem is that her screeching is loving terrible and she seems contrived as hell, like she's just there to score points with the hipster crowd. Having a good vocalist who just happens to be female is perfectly fine with me, having one just so you can go "HEY CHECK OUT OUR SCREAMING HIPSTER GIRL" is not.

As for the disgrace bit, it's because they just seem so goddamn pretentious to me. Bands who I just don't personally like because they're not to my taste are one thing, I can still respect those. This BS is just something else. They just seem so goddamn smug about how they're so totally hip and cool and different while their music is still just the usual lovely whatevercore bullshit with some extra bits tacked on for show.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Oldstench posted:

Not exactly. Yes I am getting older, but I listen to new things all the time. It's more about the fact that they are a)terrible and b)show no respect towards the genre that they are attempting to utilize in order to make said lovely music.

Are you for real? I don't give a poo poo about that band but what does "showing respect toward a genre" have to do with anything? And what exactly in your mind constitutes "showing respect"? So what if they put out a stupid fake press release? Did it actually ruin your Tuesday to find out they were only kidding about being a fake black metal band? Yeah, it was a lame troll attempt, but hey it actually got dumb people upset so I guess it worked in the end.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 25, 2013

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Norway's potential entrant (it's made their domestic final) to this year's Eurovision song contest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1O_5Bh97I

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Semprini posted:

Norway's potential entrant (it's made their domestic final) to this year's Eurovision song contest:

The song would be great symphonic/operatic metal if they just got rid of Meatloaf's screechy cousin. That guy sounds like he's going to be hocking up blood in the morning.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Semprini posted:

somehow crabcore isn't acceptable but this is

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Nordick posted:

Yeah uh, you kinda massively missed my point there dude. How about reading a bit more carefully next time instead of just assuming the other guy is some sexist twat, k?
I have no problem with the vocalist being a girl. My problem is that her screeching is loving terrible and she seems contrived as hell, like she's just there to score points with the hipster crowd. Having a good vocalist who just happens to be female is perfectly fine with me, having one just so you can go "HEY CHECK OUT OUR SCREAMING HIPSTER GIRL" is not.

As for the disgrace bit, it's because they just seem so goddamn pretentious to me. Bands who I just don't personally like because they're not to my taste are one thing, I can still respect those. This BS is just something else. They just seem so goddamn smug about how they're so totally hip and cool and different while their music is still just the usual lovely whatevercore bullshit with some extra bits tacked on for show.

So you're not sexist you're just mad because the band seems a certain way to you.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'm gonna name my new one-man bedroom wigger slam/atmospheric black metal/xXxPanteracorexXx project HEY CHECK OUT OUR SCREAMING HIPSTER GIRL.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

While we're talking about weird metal stuff, here's a video of a technical doom metal band playing at a water park. Confessor are an amazing band and seeing them live (not at a water park) was mind-blowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvUwx11d__k

Confessor's vocalist is a dude? :stare:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
The Devil's Blood broke up. http://thedevilsblood.com/

The statement from this smug motherfucker is as follows:

"As of the 22nd of January 2013 The Devil´s Blood has returned into nothingness.
All planned Rituals will be cancelled.
No interviews will be done.
Consummatum est.

-SL & F

The Devil’s Blood – 2007 / 2013"

Furthermore, for a little glimpse of this man's smugness and psychosis, his statement when their tour bus driver allegedly stole their money and left them stranded:
"The Devil's Blood hereby declare never-ending and total war upon the following individual; David "Ape" Zoglio.
[...]This little rat scurried off so fast that attempts to find, catch and kill it were immediately unsuccessful.
[...]Also if anyone feels the need to vent any frustration or anger, his phone and email are noted as well...
As for you, David, you little oval office; rest assured that one day we will meet again. A curse upon your house until the day comes that my blade is on your throat.

SL/TDB/A-O"

I met this man once for an interview that, afterwards, he asked us not to publish. He made some comments about a fight for which he was later brought to court. He was proudly "making the system work" for him by living off of welfare (despite being able to work), doing lots of drugs and considering the rest of the world as "cattle".

Honestly, gently caress him

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Oldstench posted:

The smug "oh ho ho" attitude of this just pisses me off. I realize it's hilarious to get mad about someone making fun of music you like, but metal's been good to me for 27-ish years at this point, so yeah - my panties get in a twist.

To be fair, a lot of black metal bands/fans do take themselves WAY too seriously, and I say that as someone who listens to a pretty good amount of black metal.

Nordick posted:

That's how vocalists in that genre are supposed to sound. I agree it's terrible, but it's not like they hired her despite being inept (by their standards) because she has a vagina.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 25, 2013

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

m-o-o-n posted:

somehow crabcore isn't acceptable but this is

The goon metal conundrum, symphonic metal? Let me pause the latest Elevenking album to hear this!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loving hate that poo poo as all I picture are a bunch of fat goonlords in button up dragon shirts thinking, "this is the real poo poo right here!"

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Ahhh, according to their Facebook page it appears that The Devil's Blood have disbanded/broken up/spilt. I anticipate the announcement that Selim (guitarist & chief song writer) will join Watain in 3... 2...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Ahhh, according to their Facebook page it appears that The Devil's Blood have disbanded/broken up/spilt. I anticipate the announcement that Selim (guitarist & chief song writer) will join Watain in 3... 2...

He already plays with them live, he might as well.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Semprini posted:

Still won't be nearly as funny as the year Lordi won.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Semprini posted:

Whoa, I thought Sam Kinison was dead!? His yelling is SLIGHTLY less intelligible now though.

quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Watain had that whole TRIFECTA IS MORE SATANIC or whatever the gently caress, which is why he is kept as live only in the first place. Isnt that the reason Behemoth is officially still a three piece?

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 25, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
nergal would make them a 19 piece if he thought it would get him more press or money

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Bloodmobile posted:

Confessor's vocalist is a dude? :stare:

Yeah, and he still sounds like that well into his 40s.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

nerve posted:

So you're not sexist you're just mad because the band seems a certain way to you.
Yeah, I form my personal opinion on things according to the impression I personally get of them. Whodathunkit?
And I'm not actually mad, I just slipped into hyperbole. Not the smartest thing to do in a conversation, but it happens.
The sexism bit I'm not even going to dignify with further explanation. If you insist on interpreting me as such, that's your loving shame.

Hulk Krogan posted:

That's how vocalists in that genre are supposed to sound. I agree it's terrible, but it's not like they hired her despite being inept (by their standards) because she has a vagina.
Fair enough I suppose, although I'm still not fully convinced. And it's not just the vagina, it's also the hairstyle, thick-rimmed glasses and stripey shirt and stuff. It just smells so calculated to me and I can't help it.

And I've already given more attention to that band than I should've. As far as I'm concerned, this discussion is over.

fatherdog posted:

Still won't be nearly as funny as the year Lordi won.
Or the following year when we tried to repeat the trick with Teräsbetoni but lo and behold it didn't work.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Not quite. He filled in for one of their members who couldn't make it to the US for visa issues.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

The Devil's Blood broke up. http://thedevilsblood.com/

The statement from this smug motherfucker is as follows:

"As of the 22nd of January 2013 The Devil´s Blood has returned into nothingness.
All planned Rituals will be cancelled.
No interviews will be done.
Consummatum est.

-SL & F

The Devil’s Blood – 2007 / 2013"

Furthermore, for a little glimpse of this man's smugness and psychosis, his statement when their tour bus driver allegedly stole their money and left them stranded:
"The Devil's Blood hereby declare never-ending and total war upon the following individual; David "Ape" Zoglio.
[...]This little rat scurried off so fast that attempts to find, catch and kill it were immediately unsuccessful.
[...]Also if anyone feels the need to vent any frustration or anger, his phone and email are noted as well...
As for you, David, you little oval office; rest assured that one day we will meet again. A curse upon your house until the day comes that my blade is on your throat.

SL/TDB/A-O"

I met this man once for an interview that, afterwards, he asked us not to publish. He made some comments about a fight for which he was later brought to court. He was proudly "making the system work" for him by living off of welfare (despite being able to work), doing lots of drugs and considering the rest of the world as "cattle".

Honestly, gently caress him

Yeah they/he sounds insane. Good band though, I liked their music. Shame they're no more. I wonder what happened... It's a pretty massive dick move to do it now with all the shows they had booked as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they arrange some sort of "final ritual" lark though. I know bands like this seem to come and go because it is mysterious and stuff, but breaking up like that, without some long winded statement about drifting into the eternal void of total death or something suggests to me it wasn't planned.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Why are all these fuckheads listening to the radio on Destroyer 666 day?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Andy Sneap is on board for the new Amon Amarth album. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Stratovarius released a new single, "Unbreakable":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGUbVuf7Vsc

The song is not too bad. The single also includes some remasters of "Falling Star", "The Game Never Ends", "Freedom" and "Why are we Here"

On a side note, we are looking for more reviewers for https://www.metalblast.net since we can barely keep up with the albums and concerts, so if anybody wants to give it a shot, contact us through the site.