Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Bovril Delight posted:

Not a mechanical failure but I saw the price for a replacement front bumper on an 06 Elise today. Over 6k. :staredog:

Ha! You think that's bad, check out the replacement cost for the rear bumper.

:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

Ha! You think that's bad, check out the replacement cost for the rear bumper.

:staredog:

Fill me in!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A buddy of mine got tapped by a grandma in a parking lot in his 05. 12k for a new rear clamshell, including labor.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I do believe we have a new definition of "rape".

:aaaaa:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, we've been calling it that since Aug. 15 2012.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It just got real cold in here. :golfclap:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
When you run a tuning shop sometimes people bring in poorly modified poo poo to get tuned. This was running on the stock tune, complete with turboback exhaust.

I think those are drywall screws.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Holy poo poo! That might be the worst WRX intake I've ever seen.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When you run a tuning shop sometimes people bring in poorly modified poo poo to get tuned. This was running on the stock tune, complete with turboback exhaust.

I'm disappointed it's not PVC.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My friend's neighbour had a setup like this on a 90's STI. One of the little vent things in the bonnet had been purposely removed so that the crappy pod filter and AFM were exposed to the sunlight. So every time it rained his filter filled with water....

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Slavvy posted:

My friend's neighbour had a setup like this on a 90's STI. One of the little vent things in the bonnet had been purposely removed so that the crappy pod filter and AFM were exposed to the sunlight. So every time it rained his filter filled with water....

It's half an MW-40 system. Clearly, a considered and well-thought-through act.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

It's valued at $115,000 because.....

So, there's your answer. It's simple math. Not "how bad it looks" or even "what's wrong." Just how much does it cost to fix vs. what it's worth.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

oddspelling posted:

I'm disappointed it's not PVC.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

What...the...gently caress...

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

What...the...gently caress...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4989942-VR6-12V-Custom-PVC-Shorty-Intake-Manifold.-Check-it-Out

Is there really anything wrong with using PVC for your intake tubing though?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

As long as you are not putting any boost into it, no, but there is always the off chance the block will melt the PVC eventually.

As someone pointed out in that thread, its okay for a mock up but I wouldn't use it as an actual replacement/alternative.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Doesn't PVC outgas some kind of chlorine gas when it heats up? Seems like that would lean out an engine at the very least.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Absolutely do not use PVC ever in an engine compartment. It softens around 120F and outgasses pretty nasty stuff not much higher than that. ABS pipe is okay, but its not really made for anything with forces on it, be it pressure or vacuum.

edit: Hell, it melts at like 170F

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 25, 2013

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

It's ok guys, he took care of the heat problem.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, it's a good idea to deal with a heat problem by further insulating it and preventing it from shedding any IAT.

Additionally, are those glued to the ports? Lacking an engineering degree, I'm thankful that I can't even imagine the full extent of what's wrong with that from a statics perspective.

The new Subaru intake manifolds are plastic, but it's ABS plastic blended with some glass fiber stuff that makes it more resistant to heat than the old steel manifolds were.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Because plastic intakes are AWESOME! NOT! (Looking at YOU GM 3800 series II intakes).

Even the manufacturers get it wrong. I can't imagine a homebrew working long at all. First mis-fire and the car is toasted.

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 26, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hey, at least GM gets it right when they don't run coolant in the intake itself; they've run a plastic intake on the LSx since 1997.

Interesting comparison point, the regular Mazda MZR gets a plastic intake in the 3, but the turbo in the Mazdaspeed version gets an aluminum intake.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hey, at least GM gets it right when they don't run coolant in the intake itself; they've run a plastic intake on the LSx since 1997.

Interesting comparison point, the regular Mazda MZR gets a plastic intake in the 3, but the turbo in the Mazdaspeed version gets an aluminum intake.

Plastic intakes prevent the icing problem?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Brigdh posted:

Plastic intakes prevent the icing problem?

They heat the throttle body, not the manifold. There is a coolant pipe running from one head to the other under the intake manifold, but it's metal and not actually part of the manifold.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

CommieGIR posted:

As long as you are not putting any boost into it
See, about that...

This one's supposed to hold boost. It appears later in the thread.

(Though, to be fair, he ditches it for an aluminum intake eventually).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not aware of any current new vehicle which doesn't have a plastic manifold; the engineering hurdles have been solved. Interesting that the turbo mazda gets an alloy one, I can only think of it being to reduce intake air temperature because plastic is a pretty poor heatsink.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

parrhesia posted:

See, about that...

(Though, to be fair, he ditches it for an aluminum intake eventually).

Is that...wood glue? :psyduck:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

IOwnCalculus posted:

They heat the throttle body, not the manifold. There is a coolant pipe running from one head to the other under the intake manifold, but it's metal and not actually part of the manifold.

Oh duh. Reading comprehension fail on my part

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
A coworker of mine had a bit of trouble with his Renault.

He claims that the sparkplug broke and did that damage, although i'd reckon the valve broke first, because i'm fairly sure it'd take a broken spark plug a long time to do all that damage.

And another coworker messed up a 'bit' when reassembling a forklift

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

I was looking at it and thinking it was maybe a casting positive (Normally you'd do it with Papier mâché), but that's giving perhaps too much benefit of the doubt.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

CommieGIR posted:

Is that...wood glue? :psyduck:

Pretty sure it's Liquid Nails.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

A buddy of mine got tapped by a grandma in a parking lot in his 05. 12k for a new rear clamshell, including labor.

Jesus, I'll stick with Miatas. I always thought I'd be able to afford to buy an Elise one day, but I sure as hell won't be able to afford to own one :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dor1 posted:

He claims that the sparkplug broke and did that damage, although i'd reckon the valve broke first, because i'm fairly sure it'd take a broken spark plug a long time to do all that damage.

Something dropped in two cylinders from what I can tell...

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CommieGIR posted:

Something dropped in two cylinders from what I can tell...

Probably an interference engine and the really hosed up cylinder twisted up the camshaft?

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

Absolutely do not use PVC ever in an engine compartment. It softens around 120F and outgasses pretty nasty stuff not much higher than that. ABS pipe is okay, but its not really made for anything with forces on it, be it pressure or vacuum.

edit: Hell, it melts at like 170F

Hahaha there was a stupid hick from Oklahoma I worked with at Navistar who built an intake for his lifted F150 out of pvc. He thought he was too clever for saving $100 over something you can buy. He also thought it was good practice to build all his cad layouts from local files on his computer.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

parrhesia posted:

See, about that...

Needs a ratchet strap. :haw:

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

dor1 posted:

And another coworker messed up a 'bit' when reassembling a forklift

The valve did that damage, not a plug. We just had a 07 trailblazer in the shop with 80k drop a valve and do the exact same thing. Came in running like crap and literally dropped the valve when we fired it up the next morning.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Ecotec also uses a plastic intake, at least on the 2.2 and 2.4. And it faces the radiator.. which will just make it all the more painful to fix if it's ever in a frontend collision. :gonk:

Who was it that started the plastic intake manifold trend? I remember there was a lot of uproar when the Neon first came out, due to its plastic intake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

The Ecotec also uses a plastic intake, at least on the 2.2 and 2.4. And it faces the radiator.. which will just make it all the more painful to fix if it's ever in a frontend collision. :gonk:

Who was it that started the plastic intake manifold trend? I remember there was a lot of uproar when the Neon first came out, due to its plastic intake.

I'm sure its more an accountants doing than engineering. They no doubt save a lot on not having to forge and flesh out actual metal headers for each car rolling down the assembly line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

leica posted:

Jesus, I'll stick with Miatas. I always thought I'd be able to afford to buy an Elise one day, but I sure as hell won't be able to afford to own one :(

Excerpts on Elise ownership from Grassroots' forum:

"There just seem to be too many drawbacks to daily driving one. Bumped in parking lot? Car is totaled. Run over a speed bump too fast? Car is totaled. Scrape too hard on driveway? Car is totaled. Run over a board? Car is totaled. Hit a possum or roadkill? Car is totaled.

It's awesome in theory, but the reality is that you have to have the right kind of driveway, the right kind of neighborhood, you have to scope out parking lots and make sure you can enter and exit without messing up your car, and you HAVE to use heart healthy parking. God help you if it's a small parking lot."

"Very good points, rotard. I'm not sure people realize how easy it is to damage a clamshell beyond (reasonable) repair, and how breathtakingly expensive they are to replace. For that reason alone, I would never daily drive one... and it is a big factor in why I don't own one right now.

FYI folks, rotard is almost not exaggerating. While a busted clamshell on its own won't total the car, you're looking at $5k+ just in paint and parts, never mind the labor, for something as simple as a parking lot bump. If anything underneath it gets damaged... look out.

EDIT: Yes, full coverage is a must. However, I can't imagine your insurance company hanging onto you after more than one pricey repair."

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/quickly-school-me-in-lotus-elises-2005/42507/page1/