Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Quick update: we decided to do a "nursing vacation" where mom just stayed in bed with the baby for two days, nursing hourly if possible. No idea if it helped, but she just felt like all the bullshit around breastfeeding was ruining her relationship with the baby. So the end result is I returned the breast pump and we are done fussing with it. Mom is sick and tired of strangers touching her boobs, talking to nurses about latching, the whole bit. We are still supplementing with formula, baby is getting somewhere around 2/3 to 3/4 breastmilk and that's just going to have to be good enough.

Mom is feeling 100% better and having much more fun with the baby. It's still a huge pain in the rear end, no sleep, etc. Dont think you are going to like your baby. Oh you love them and would die to protect them, but they are annoying brats as newborns. It finally feels like we are making progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You can see some of my posts recently about my issued with breastfeeding. I ultimately decided not to do the medication because of the potential side effects for me and him. I tried power pumping where you pump for ten minutes every hour and all it gave me was an oz of milk over the whole day and incredibly sore nipples so I couldn't pump the following day without being in pain. I'm starting work full time and I can't do all the pumping needed for an ounce a day. After sort of "mourning" the loss, I feel a million times better. I can enjoy feeding him a bottle and not feel like a piece of poo poo for doing it. I also don't have to put him down every hour or so to pump if I'm by myself. It was to the point I felt like i was either feeding him, changig his diaper or pumping. Now we can just hang out. I can also leave the house for mor ethan an hour at a time!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Ender.uNF posted:

Quick update: we decided to do a "nursing vacation" where mom just stayed in bed with the baby for two days, nursing hourly if possible. No idea if it helped, but she just felt like all the bullshit around breastfeeding was ruining her relationship with the baby. So the end result is I returned the breast pump and we are done fussing with it. Mom is sick and tired of strangers touching her boobs, talking to nurses about latching, the whole bit. We are still supplementing with formula, baby is getting somewhere around 2/3 to 3/4 breastmilk and that's just going to have to be good enough.

Mom is feeling 100% better and having much more fun with the baby. It's still a huge pain in the rear end, no sleep, etc. Dont think you are going to like your baby. Oh you love them and would die to protect them, but they are annoying brats as newborns. It finally feels like we are making progress.

If you haven't already, you (and she) might benefit from checking out the fearless formula feeder blog.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Ender.uNF posted:

I'm so glad your wife found something that works for her and baby! I think your feelings right now for your baby could be affected by the stress you went through for your wife and the lack of sleep. :smith: I really enjoyed my newborn!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Ender.uNF posted:

I'm glad things are going better for you guys and I firmly believe that families should do what works best for them without shame or guilt, so good on you two for not beating your heads against the wall.

But really, please don't assume your experience is applicable across the board, newborns are not "brats," they're trying to figure poo poo out just like new parents are. Being a parent is hard, caring for new babies is hard, being sleep deprived is hard, but frankly it's a bit childish to have such a petulant attitude toward your baby. He's a baby, he's doing new baby stuff. Give him as well as yourselves a break.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Please do not jump down this guy's throat. He was letting off steam.

Carry on. :tipshat:

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer

Ender.uNF posted:

Don't worry, I was firmly in the newborns are terrible camp (I may have offended a few people by referring to my baby as a parasite) and I am really enjoying my son now that he's a little older. It will get better!

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
Does anyone have any suggestions for really supportive bras in huge cup sizes? I've been a 34G (US) for a long time, upgraded to 34GG, and am currently wearing a 34H, and I'm not sure how much longer it's going to last. But this is the largest my favorite bra brand (Fantasie) goes. My mom thinks I should get a nursing bra, but I think it's WAY too soon, and I can't imagine they'd make me look even a little perky.

Can someone either point me in the right direction for an awesome huge-cupped bra, or reassure me that nursing bras aren't terrible?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I got bras from breakoutbras.com. I needed a 36G when my milk came in. They sometimes run grab bag deals, where you tell them your size and they send you random bras in that size for a significantly lower price than normal. Hot Milk is a popular brand in nursing bras that isn't frumpy and awful.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I just wanted to say not to fall for the "convert your regular bra to a nursing bra" advice you get at some lingerie places. I had that done for a bra of mine and I think it's just not meant for larger breasts. The stitches repeatedly pulled out or ripped.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Schweig und tanze posted:

But really, please don't assume your experience is applicable across the board, newborns are not "brats," they're trying to figure poo poo out just like new parents are. Being a parent is hard, caring for new babies is hard, being sleep deprived is hard, but frankly it's a bit childish to have such a petulant attitude toward your baby. He's a baby, he's doing new baby stuff. Give him as well as yourselves a break.

As Eggplant Wizard noticed, I was just getting the stress and frustration out. He is incapable of being a brat because he has no desires or ulterior motives; at this age he just has needs.

Oh and tonight we are having a fussy night. Even the normally magical boob isn't really working. No idea what he wants, maybe gas pain? He sits there happy for a few minutes, then fusses for a few minutes. God forbid I try to hold him, then he screams.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Ender.uNF posted:

Oh and tonight we are having a fussy night. Even the normally magical boob isn't really working. No idea what he wants, maybe gas pain? He sits there happy for a few minutes, then fusses for a few minutes. God forbid I try to hold him, then he screams.
We call that "bipolar baby".
Sometimes she actually cries while smiling. It's mysterious. I have myself half convinced it's only right before it rains.. which here in southern california isn't all that often. Babies..

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Could be gas! Our guy had gas issues his first month and a half of life. He's pretty much over the painful stuff now and can fart (a lot) on his own without issues. Baby Gas X worked great for us.

I like the term bipolar baby. He was doing that tonight. Its hard not to laugh at how absurd it is. He had a hard day though since he got his first vaccines.

It does get better. He just turned 2 months yesterday and he's been sleeping 6 - 8 hours straight at night and goes to sleep every night between 8:30 and 9. IT IS AMAZING. We had to deal with a night when he was a little over a month old where he didn't sleep for 24 hours. Just know that it does get better.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Anyone have any recommendations on jogging strollers? Given the sub-zero windchills, it'll be a little while before it gets any use, but I do want to have one for when it warms back up.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

rangergirl posted:

Don't worry, I was firmly in the newborns are terrible camp (I may have offended a few people by referring to my baby as a parasite) and I am really enjoying my son now that he's a little older. It will get better!

People tend to forget that just as mothers can have a tough time adapting to motherhood and post partum, fathers can have a tough time adjusting too. Infants are on the whole wonderful, but you really don't know what you're getting and parents are humans with emotions.It just takes a lot of patience. :)

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

iwik posted:

Wow, congrats!

Sockmuppet posted:

Woah! Congratulations!

Greycious posted:

That is amazing! :3: Congrats!

From a few pages ago, but... Thanks so much! I'm a little... WTF about it still, I think. I guess one is measuring bigger than the other, yet they both have heartbeats. The ultrasound tech said she's seen it go either way. I suppose I'll have a better idea at 12 weeks if there are still two in there. It's a really, really weird combination of feelings. Like, in my head I have these constantly repeating thoughts which run the gamut. Everything from "wow, this is really cool!", to, "holy gently caress, what am I going to do?", to thinking that maybe the vanishing twin thing would be kind of a relief, but then feeling horribly guilty about it. So, so weird. I'm trying not to get too attached until it's more or less verified that there are going to be two in there.

Also, researching non-minivan options that aren't super douchy.

Greycious posted:

I'll most likely be finding out the baby's sex this week, I'm very excited but I'm pretty nervous too.

My mom and I both think it is a girl. I just have this feeling it's a girl, I've had it from pretty early on. I'm starting to get a little worried that if it isn't a girl I'll be a little..confused for a couple days. I've been trying not to get it so stuck in my head that it is one sex or the other but I just can't seem to shake that it is in fact a girl. :confused:

This sort of happened to me. I originally had a vague preference for a boy, and at the anatomy scan, was told that it was likely a girl, based on not seeing boy genitalia (as opposed to seeing girl genitalia.)The next couple ultrasounds were along the lines of the same, and I started to come around to the idea of how rad a girl would be, picking out knitting patterns, etc., but then we saw a scrotal sack. After getting into the idea of a girl (and getting over the initial "My poor baby will need surgery to remove her scrotal sack!), and becoming attached to some names, I then was a little down about a boy, which was my preference in the first place. It did throw me off a bit.

I think the worst/weirdest part after the anatomical scan was when leaving the hospital, my now-ex was on the phone with my dad, and I overheard, "Yeah, so don't worry. There's still a chance it could be a boy!"

I kind of with my baby girl had been born with a scrotal sac, just for that :mad:

bamzilla posted:

I know no one mentioned this, but you can also just use flour sack cloths that are like 5 for $5 at Walmart. They're big and super absorbent if you fold them (people even use them to fold into cloth diapers as doublers overnight). I love them.

One of the best received gifts I make are to take those tri-fold gerber diapers (which are super cheap and come in packs of 10 or whatever), and then sewing bright bits of fabric down the middle to make cute burp cloths. They're really easy to make, and are just handy in general for anything. I think I got the idea from an online tutorial.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

ChloroformSeduction posted:

.. My poor baby will need surgery to remove her scrotal sack!

I actually guffawed aloud at this, because that is exactly something I would have thought.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
So, I know moving house during the last bit of pregnancy or soon after the baby is born is generally A Bad Idea, but we don't really have much of a choice; this house is very cold and drafty, the rent's high (we had moved in expecting to be splitting rent, but there was roommate drama, had to kick him out), and it's just way bigger than what we need. We found a place to rent that's more suitable for us and a baby, and in a more suitable area, but we won't be able to move in until April. I'll be full term on February 28th, but I'm wondering how awful will moving be with a new baby? My nesting has taken the form of packing up our non-essentials like books, decorative things, unseasonable clothes, and poo poo such as that, and we don't really have that much stuff anyway. WITHOUT a baby, this would probably be the easiest move ever, since it's just a half hour drive with maybe one truck full of our stuff, but I know it can't possibly be as easy as all that.

Unrelated: my husbands sweet and wonderful cousin texted me to tell me a friend of hers had a pram, car seat, cot, and mass of baby clothes to give me; duplicates of gifts she got for her son or clothes he grew out of, and it's just super generous and I'm really touched because none of my family will be getting anything for the baby. People can be so cool sometimes :3:

ChloroformSeduction posted:

"My poor baby will need surgery to remove her scrotal sack!"

This is hilarious.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Dandy Shrew posted:

So, I know moving house during the last bit of pregnancy or soon after the baby is born is generally A Bad Idea, but we don't really have much of a choice; this house is very cold and drafty, the rent's high (we had moved in expecting to be splitting rent, but there was roommate drama, had to kick him out), and it's just way bigger than what we need. We found a place to rent that's more suitable for us and a baby, and in a more suitable area, but we won't be able to move in until April. I'll be full term on February 28th, but I'm wondering how awful will moving be with a new baby? My nesting has taken the form of packing up our non-essentials like books, decorative things, unseasonable clothes, and poo poo such as that, and we don't really have that much stuff anyway. WITHOUT a baby, this would probably be the easiest move ever, since it's just a half hour drive with maybe one truck full of our stuff, but I know it can't possibly be as easy as all that.

Moving with a new baby is not ideal, but doable. We moved when my son was ~10 months. It was not as easy as moving without a baby, especially as he was just becoming mobile and learning to stand up. But I think it would be a lot harder now that he's 2.5 years old. The good thing about infants is that they can't make a mess and get themselves into dangerous situations in the middle of the moving chaos.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Sounds like it wouldn't be too terrible, the baby should be young enough that you could strap them to your chest in a Moby or Boba and putter around packing/unpacking the lighter stuff.

My friend bought a house and moved into it when her child was only three weeks old. Much more ambitious than I would be.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

Moving with a new baby is not ideal, but doable. We moved when my son was ~10 months. It was not as easy as moving without a baby, especially as he was just becoming mobile and learning to stand up. But I think it would be a lot harder now that he's 2.5 years old. The good thing about infants is that they can't make a mess and get themselves into dangerous situations in the middle of the moving chaos.

Yeah, definitely the younger the better. If you are breastfeeding and the baby is sleeping in a Moses basket still it'll be even easier - nothing to build or set up straight away when you get there.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Dandy Shrew posted:

Unrelated: my husbands sweet and wonderful cousin texted me to tell me a friend of hers had a pram, car seat, cot, and mass of baby clothes to give me; duplicates of gifts she got for her son or clothes he grew out of, and it's just super generous and I'm really touched because none of my family will be getting anything for the baby. People can be so cool sometimes :3:

I would be wary about taking a used car seat, the rest sounds great though.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Schweig und tanze posted:

I would be wary about taking a used car seat, the rest sounds great though.

It's not used; she got 3 (!) as gifts, returned one, used one, and just still has the other sitting around. It's like €200 I don't have to spend and she basically just wants to get it out of her house and wrack up good new mama karma.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
What conclusions did people reach around cord blood? Our country is piloting a public bank donation program in our city, so we'll go with that over private options after our research. Just wanted to take in other perspectives.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

SKULE123 posted:

What conclusions did people reach around cord blood? Our country is piloting a public bank donation program in our city, so we'll go with that over private options after our research. Just wanted to take in other perspectives.

Not sure if you mean donating for medical purposes or storing in case you need it later. If donating for research, I wanted to do it but there isn't anywhere near to me (or possibly in the country) that takes donations. Personally I can't see any issues with it - it'd be going in the bin otherwise and if they can use my leftovers to help further medical knowledge that's a good thing.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

SKULE123 posted:

Banking it is probably not worth it but donating it for medical research is always great.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Dandy Shrew posted:

It's not used; she got 3 (!) as gifts, returned one, used one, and just still has the other sitting around. It's like €200 I don't have to spend and she basically just wants to get it out of her house and wrack up good new mama karma.
Check the date of manufacture on it and consult the manufacturer's website as to the date of expiration, just to make sure it's still ok to use. Car seats DO expire. Even if it's expired and you can't use it, it may save you some cash - around here, Babies R Us does a trade-in event several times a year where if you bring in a piece of equipment, you get 25% off new ones.

SKULE123 posted:

I looked into donating cord blood for research or medical purposes and basically got told that we're genetically boring and they didn't need it. The places around here would gladly take it, but we had to pay for its recovery and transportation. We didn't do it, although now I wish we had because I bet they'd actually be interested to have a bunch of Williams Syndrome cord blood to study. Then again, we didn't know he had WS at the time.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Bravado Designs is where I got my nursing tank tops. I had actually bought 2 bras, but returned them since none of my shirts fit me I had no use for the bras. I had gone from a 34D to a 40G haha. I bought 4 nursing tank tops in March of 2011 when I had my baby, and I actually quit nursing over 9 months ago, and I still wear them daily because they are so comfortable to sleep in, very supportive and I've even worn them in public. The are like $50, but they've held up extremely well, because I would estimate now that they've been washed over 100 times each.

http://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/the-essential-nursing-tank
http://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/the-essential-nursing-tank-curvalicious-sizing

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
My husband wanted to donate cord blood if we weren't going to do the thing where you wait to cut the cord and let the placenta pump everything in to the baby. You have to let them know when you register at the hospital so they can have everything ready if you're storing or donating. To be honest I'd rather just do the delayed cord cutting than donate. I ended up having a c-section though so it was all moot.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
We did delayed cord clamping, figuring it was better for our son to have it now.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
When I had asked about it, the nurses at my (large, well-known, with a huge children's wing) hospital had to call around the hospital, and it turns out the cord blood people don't go to that hospital on weekends or something. I don't even know what that is all about, but we didn't get to do it because nobody was there to take it.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I donated my son's cord blood. I signed some forms before I was admitted and they asked again when I came in. No fuss immediately after birth. After a week I got a call from the research team who asked me about ten minutes worth of questions about our genetic history and if our family had any strange diseases. (Have I ever had mad cow? Nope, don't think so.)

They do a bunch of testing on it to see if it is a good candidate for storage - only about three percent are accepted. Another week later I got a call again and said it was a good candidate and they asked me if the baby was doing well and reasked me some of the genetic history questions. They are storing it in the cancer hospital downtown if we ever need it and it's available for anyone else who might need it too. It was a very easy experience. Science is pretty cool!

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
We donated my first son's cord blood 7 years ago. We did delayed cord clamping and cutting and were still able to donate because the midwife took blood from the placenta. They had sent me a cooler and instructions for my midwife and then fed-ex picked it up the day after I gave birth and that was that. I am a pretty boring person medically but they didn't ask any questions about me or tell me they didn't want the cord blood. Weird how it varies from place to place.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 21, 2017

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Lullabee posted:

I wish we could donate ours. But with my fiance having leukemia, they don't want ours.

Just got back from labor & delivery. We went out for the evening, and I started having the 'hard to walk/talk through' contractions, so I started timing them - they kept coming every 5 minutes or less for well over an hour, and that was with sitting, drinking water and standing/walking around. We headed in, got checked - only dilated to a 1 and 'soft' - and hooked up. An hour later, they deem me as having promodal labor, give me vistaril and tell me to come back if they come back and intensify. :sigh: I think this kid is wanting me to look like an over zealous first time mom to my doctor. He happened to be the one on call tonight. I'm hoping this means he'll be here soon.. I have 16 days before my due date, so it would not be too terrible if he came.

I know it's silly, but I'm actually really excited for you because I've seen your posts through your whole pregnancy here. It's almost baby time! Best of luck, Lullabee! :)

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I went in and got sent home twice before I was finally in labor. They are used to this stuff. I remember how nervous I was about going to L&D wondering if I was wasting time. Now that Ben is here I don't regret any of it and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Lullabee I had prodromal labor with my 2nd the day before I had him though it wasn't diagnosed as such because I never went in to the hospital. Had it happened with my first I probably would have gone in thinking it was real labor but since I had been in labor before I figured it wasn't. The contractions were hard to get through but breathing through them was easy enough and they didn't intensify.

Troll baby kept me up all Saturday night with contractions 5 minutes or less apart lasting between 45 and 60 seconds. They were too bad to let me fall asleep and lying down made them worse. Then they stopped around 8 am and I got a few contractions here and there through the day Sunday. Went into labor for real early Monday morning.

Do not recommend by the way as I got maybe 4 hours sleep total the two nights before having a newborn (since I went into labor around midnight on night two) and then very little sleep the two nights in the hospital. Then the first night home from the hospital was really tough. A full night of sleep the day before real labor would have helped a ton.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2017

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008
Lullabee, girl, I hope that baby comes loving soon..I know you and your body are both ready to see this baby! :) YAY!! Baby time!

To everyone else, what do you consider a good amount of nursing bras and tops to invest in? I need to go shopping soon so I can put my hospital bag, but I'm totally clueless on what is considered a realistic amount of clothes since I want to try solely nursing at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Hastings posted:

To everyone else, what do you consider a good amount of nursing bras and tops to invest in? I need to go shopping soon so I can put my hospital bag, but I'm totally clueless on what is considered a realistic amount of clothes since I want to try solely nursing at first.

I would advise waiting to purchase nursing bras. Or maybe just get one and wait for the rest. I gained at a cup size once my milk came in, so any bras that fit at the end of my pregnancy are now too small.

I personally have been breastfeeding for 7 months now, and I only have 2 nursing bras, and no nursing tanks. I don't really wear bras around the house though, so that cuts down on the number of bras that I need. I also haven't got any nursing tops, but I found I didn't need them. I guess it really depends on how you dress, but the majority of shirts that I already owned worked just fine. Button-down shirts work, because you can just open the front, deep-v necklines work, because you can pull the neckline down below your boob, and regular tee shirts (or similar knit shirts) work because you can just lift up the bottom of the shirt.

The only thing that doesn't really work is dresses. Unless they're specific nursing dresses.