Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I would absolutely take the dumbest poo poo the EU has to offer all crammed into a single movie over another mediocre JJ Abrams movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

zVxTeflon posted:

I would absolutely take the dumbest poo poo the EU has to offer all crammed into a single movie over another mediocre JJ Abrams movie.

Well that's good because he hasn't made any mediocre movies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Well that's good because he hasn't made any mediocre movies.

Super 8 begs to differ, but that's not JJ's fault. That's the dumb script's fault.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
But JJ wrote the script?

I hope he's only brought on to kick-start the new film series and Disney gives the other movies to different directors.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Super 8 begs to differ, but that's not JJ's fault. That's the dumb script's fault.

Super 8 was mediocre and had a dumb script? :confused:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I haven't seen it, but I've heard Super 8, while bad, captures the feeling of 70s Spielberg perfectly. Is this true? If so, that could be very promising when it comes to recapturing the magic of the OT.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Super 8 was mediocre and had a dumb script? :confused:

"Look, Interesting Character Dynamics and Relationships that could build the core of this movie to make it more than a simple monster movie. NOPE. MONSTER GONNA SMASH EVERYTHING."

Yes. Mediocre with a very dumb script. Moments of good stuff just mired in pastiche and bad CGI.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

feedmyleg posted:

I haven't seen it, but I've heard Super 8, while bad, captures the feeling of 70s Spielberg perfectly. Is this true? If so, that could be very promising when it comes to recapturing the magic of the OT.

It definitely does! Never heard people say it was bad, though. I thought it was great and I was under the impression that other people thought so too :shobon:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It does capture the feel of Spielberg's work in the 80's, so it did succeed on some fronts.

gently caress Damon Lindelof. (although Prometheus rules, so, I guess everyone gets ONE)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Was that just meant as a change of subject? Because Damon Lindelof was not involved in Super 8.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Trump posted:

I hope he's only brought on to kick-start the new film series and Disney gives the other movies to different directors.
Yeah.

Because Disney bought a financially failing (or even stagnating) franchise and are going to let Abrams or anyone else mess with the look, feel, formula, etc. At best his contribution will be on par with Kershner.

Which of course wouldn't be bad. But he's going to be very tightly reigned in compared to anything else he's ever done.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Super 8 was originally two scripts, one a coming of age story about kids trying to shoot a movie on 8mm, and the other about an alien running amok in a small town. So if the final product occasionally felt like a not entirely coherent smashing together of th ose two concepts--it was.

But yes it really does feel very Spielberg; in fact all the business with the kids is pretty excellent, and it's probably the most interesting and intimate stuff JJ has directed.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Supercar Gautier posted:

Was that just meant as a change of subject? Because Damon Lindelof was not involved in Super 8.

Damon Lindelof is now the sci-fi people hate's scapegoat.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

Whoops, I thought he was. My mistake.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

So has there really been no further OFFICIAL word on this since the info came out yesterday? Just seems weird as hell considering all the attention and how solid the source is. I hope this isn't JJ starting round 2 of "being evasive with information even past the point where it is appropriate or makes sense".

Disney has officially announced that Abrams is directing.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

The Monkey Man posted:

Meanwhile, George Lucas' ex-wife, who pretty much saved the original Star Wars through editing, gets just two short paragraphs.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Marcia_Lucas

That's the entire drat thing.

To be fair, she pretty much refuses to talk about Star Wars at all. No one knows that much about her. I think she just wanted to get away from it forever after the divorce.

The Secret History of Star Wars website has the most complete biography of her life, if anyone is interested.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Has anyone made the 'Abrams is a good choice because he already made a Star Wars that just happened to be called Star Trek' joke yet? Because if not, you're welcome :smug:

I will say that Super 8 was pretty damned underwhelming, though. I guess we'll see if Star Trek Into Darkness is his Empire Strikes Back.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Wolfsheim posted:

Has anyone made the 'Abrams is a good choice because he already made a Star Wars that just happened to be called Star Trek' joke yet? Because if not, you're welcome :smug:

You're like the 8,328,593rd person on the Internet to make that joke.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Why is that a joke? Facts aren't jokes, you silly goose.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I'm more thinking about how one guy is now directing the current Star Trek AND Star Wars films. I think I can hear the fanboy hissing from here.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm more thinking about how one guy is now directing the current Star Trek AND Star Wars films. I think I can hear the fanboy hissing from here.

Maybe we can finally have the Star Trek vs. Star Wars crossover! Phasers vs. Light sabers. Vulcan mind meld vs. Jedi Mind Trick. Technology vs Magic midichlorians.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought Mission Impossible 3 was okay, it didn't blow me away. Same with Super 8, it had some problems. I really enjoyed the Star Trek movie but I wouldn't call it great. It was entertaining at least. He seems to be a competent director but he hasn't really made anything totally awesome yet in my opinion

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Maybe the new Star Wars will be an introspective, philosophical story about deep space exploration, difficult moral choices and the nature of sentience.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

qntm posted:

Maybe the new Star Wars will be an introspective, philosophical story about deep space exploration, difficult moral choices and the nature of sentience.

No one draws a lightsaber or a blaster in anger. All problems are resolved diplomatically. Everyone learns something about themselves.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
How can anyone be upset about Abrams?

The bar has been set so low by the prequels that anyone making ep 7 is going to look like a genius.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The JJ Abrams announcement was big enough news to make the front page of the Kansas City Star. Is my hobby finally cool and mainstream now?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

jivjov posted:

The JJ Abrams announcement was big enough news to make the front page of the Kansas City Star. Is my hobby finally cool and mainstream now?

No, the billion-dollar industry surrounding this 40-year-old media franchise is underground as gently caress.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

This isnt a bad decision. Abrams will step up his game with Star Wars just as he did with Star Trek, which I thought was fantastic and cant wait to see the next one.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jivjov posted:

No, it has been for the past few decades.

spiralbrain posted:

This isnt a bad decision. Abrams will step up his game with Star Wars just as he did with Star Trek, which I thought was fantastic and cant wait to see the next one.

I'm not Abrams' number 1 fan but I liked what he did to Star Trek. Coming from what Lucas did to the prequels, I think this is one of the best possible outcomes imaginable.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Is it just me, or does 'The Courtship of Princess Leia' seem just perfect for J.J. Abrams? :allears:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Lovin the EU hate in here cause it's dead on accurate, but I've always felt that the one thing they could pull from the EU to make some great films would be the tale of Corran Horn. You can't do his entire story because, like everything in the EU, it is insane. But he gives you pretty much everything you'd want in a Star Wars character. Starts out as a pilot for Rogue Squadron, is forced to learn the ways of the force to save his wife, trains with Luke Skywalker, etc.

Again, I don't think there's ANYTHING from the EU that they should use straight up, but this the sort of thing I'd like to see. No more children in Star Wars, please.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The only correct option for directing a new Star Wars is Panos Cosmatos.

I really liked Abrams' Star Trek, but it is a gently satirical film about making sense of this topsy-turvy information age. It's specifically anti-canon ("I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!" cries the personification of everything that sucked). It uses CG lens flares in its all-digital sequences to simulate the presence of a physical camera and thereby ground the action. Characters are more at risk from their own crazy technology than from the villain.

Star Wars was not about the internet. It was about television. (The prequels were about the internet, and people complained that they were too different - forgetting that Star Wars was made in the late 1970s.)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BreakAtmo posted:

I've never gotten into the rivalry that much but it does seem like an unholy alliance. I wasn't a fan of that 2009 Star Trek film either. Ultimately I don't really car who directs it. I'm just glad the legacy will live on.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Darn tootin'.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

I so wish this would happen.

edit: wording

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Jesus that would be awesome.

I think Abrams was a great choice, but I hope they only use him to get the ball rolling and don't have him direct the entire new trilogy or anything. He's certainly got a style, and I'm hoping working with Arndt, and not writing himself, or with Kurtzman/Orci will give this movie a different feel than his previous work.

I had stopped being into Star Wars at all until Disney bought Lucasfilm. The people they have involved so far are talented folks, so I'm back to being at least somewhat excited about the prospect of another film. Should be interesting to say the least. It's going to be kinda wild to see a Star Wars movie that opens with the Disney, Bad Robot, AND Lucasfilm idents.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Jesus that would be awesome.

I think Abrams was a great choice, but I hope they only use him to get the ball rolling and don't have him direct the entire new trilogy or anything. He's certainly got a style, and I'm hoping working with Arndt, and not writing himself, or with Kurtzman/Orci will give this movie a different feel than his previous work.

I had stopped being into Star Wars at all until Disney bought Lucasfilm. The people they have involved so far are talented folks, so I'm back to being at least somewhat excited about the prospect of another film. Should be interesting to say the least. It's going to be kinda wild to see a Star Wars movie that opens with the Disney, Bad Robot, AND Lucasfilm idents.

Wow, I just realized how unnatural it will be to see a Star Wars film begin without the classic 20th Century Fox Fanfare. Clearly it comes before plenty of other movies, but there is nothing I associate more strongly with that than Star Wars.

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven

Joe Don Baker posted:

Wraith Squadron features a genetically augmented Ewok fighter pilot.

No, it doesn't. That's Wedge Antilles pretending to be an Ewok in what is essentially an elaborate frat-boy joke. Wraith Squadron and the rest of Allston's works in the EU are actually a lot of fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fightest posted:

No, it doesn't. That's Wedge Antilles pretending to be an Ewok in what is essentially an elaborate frat-boy joke. Wraith Squadron and the rest of Allston's works in the EU are actually a lot of fun.

There does end up being a genetically modified Ewok that can pilot a shuttle...but he doesn't fly with the Wraiths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Abrams knows enough to be able to deliver some that won’t insult older fans and is fun and fast paced enough to entice new younger fans and sell toys. It’ll be something like:

Galaxy at peace
Long shots of distant planets and giant space ships
A threat emerges
Lightsabers
Love story
A bit of fan service
More lightsaber and a space battle
Exposions
Celebration
Credits roll

Easy. Michael Arndt showed with Toy Story 3 that he knows had to construct a solid story and how to handle a property that fans have an emotional investment in. Him and Abrams should be able to come up with something solid. Without Lucas this should be almost impossible to gently caress up in a meaningful way.

• Locked thread