Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Any awesome new online features announced for Animal Crossing: New Leaf? Spotpassing mail and stuff would be radical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Agoat posted:

Any awesome new online features announced for Animal Crossing: New Leaf? Spotpassing mail and stuff would be radical.

All we know is that Iwata mentioned that Miiverse will play a huge role in New Leaf

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Japanese version's been out for a little while now, so unless they add radical new features for the international release we already know everything there is to know.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

bpc908 posted:

All we know is that Iwata mentioned that Miiverse will play a huge role in New Leaf

FINALLY! One of my townsfolk will speak purely in dick drawings.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

ropesnake posted:

Is there any word on new XL colors? The ones out right now make it look like a toy.

I just got a red XL yesterday and it is poo poo hot. But I agree with you about the blue, though. Something about that one is too bright and cheery.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Japanese version's been out for a little while now, so unless they add radical new features for the international release we already know everything there is to know.
Yeah, unless they change the game for the western release and ignore/patch the Japanese version, any miiverse stuff will just be that the game has its own community for people to post stuff on and it won't actually be integrated in the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
When he mentioned Miiverse he was talking about social media more broadly, and how being able to share screenshots online was playing a big part in making the new game such a hit in Japan. There's no specific Miiverse integration as such.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

I'm still waiting for a (pretty much guaranteed to never happen) Purple XL. I do kinda feel like at least "upgrading" my blue 3DS to a Purple one even if its still a normal 3DS. I'll probably just resort to a Purple shell case for an XL if new colors are made and one's at least decent (not counting Special Editions).

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Volfogg posted:

I'm still waiting for a (pretty much guaranteed to never happen) Purple XL. I do kinda feel like at least "upgrading" my blue 3DS to a Purple one even if its still a normal 3DS. I'll probably just resort to a Purple shell case for an XL if new colors are made and one's at least decent (not counting Special Editions).
Nice to see Marie from Breaking Bad posting here.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Can anyone comment on playing 3DS games like Super Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus through an SD card? Preferably a 32GB one? Does it feel worse in any way than using a normal cart? I'm thinking of getting one for some games soon, but obviously I don't want to buy every game digitally if there's massive load times for the bigger games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Speeds vary on your memory card class speed. The cheaper it is, the slower it will be. I'd wager an average class runs at exactly the same speed as the real thing.

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012

Volfogg posted:

Do you mean to say that I could replace a XL case with that of another? I'm not really much of a fan of either blue or red and would much rather have a purple one, but I don't think there will be one out in time for Fire Emblem. Do they sell those separately? Is it pretty simple to remove and add them?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

dianekwon posted:

Do you mean to say that I could replace a XL case with that of another? I'm not really much of a fan of either blue or red and would much rather have a purple one, but I don't think there will be one out in time for Fire Emblem. Do they sell those separately? Is it pretty simple to remove and add them?

No, it's incredibly hard.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-3ds/3DS_XL_Shell_Swapping

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

noirstronaut posted:

This is one of those times wherein you realize you bought a knock off.

Well, I didn't buy it yet, just curious if it would have that big of an impact.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

ropesnake posted:

Is there any word on new XL colors? The ones out right now make it look like a toy.

This argument always confuses the hell out of me. It is a toy, the express purpose of the device is to play video games on it. Just because it is a computerized toy does not make it less for playing things. You're not gonna be organizing spreadsheets on it.

That said, both colors look much better in real life than they do in photographs. I got the blue one bundled with MK7, and it it is a darker metallic blue than the pictures make it look, much more like the matte metallic colors a lot of netbooks got releases in.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I got a question about the eShop. I'm planning on downloading Fire Emblem when it comes out. This'll be my first time downloading a full retail title and I just want to make sure I get it all straight. When do retail titles usually go up for sale? The release date is Feb 4. Does that mean it'll go up at midnight?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Silver Falcon posted:

I got a question about the eShop. I'm planning on downloading Fire Emblem when it comes out. This'll be my first time downloading a full retail title and I just want to make sure I get it all straight. When do retail titles usually go up for sale? The release date is Feb 4. Does that mean it'll go up at midnight?

Yep, retail games go up at midnight.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

surc posted:

This argument always confuses the hell out of me. It is a toy, the express purpose of the device is to play video games on it. Just because it is a computerized toy does not make it less for playing things. You're not gonna be organizing spreadsheets on it.

That said, both colors look much better in real life than they do in photographs. I got the blue one bundled with MK7, and it it is a darker metallic blue than the pictures make it look, much more like the matte metallic colors a lot of netbooks got releases in.

I picked up the red, and while I'd prefer something like all black, it doesn't look as light as it does in photos either and I don't really mind the colour.

I don't like a few other things about it, but I've only had it a day or so and I've only played the GB Tetris I got for free with it. Part of me wishes I got the regular 3DS.

Anyway, it's Nintendo. We'll see a revision in six months to a year.

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I picked up the red, and while I'd prefer something like all black, it doesn't look as light as it does in photos either and I don't really mind the colour.

I don't like a few other things about it, but I've only had it a day or so and I've only played the GB Tetris I got for free with it. Part of me wishes I got the regular 3DS.

Anyway, it's Nintendo. We'll see a revision in six months to a year.

What is it about the XL that makes you wish you would have gotten the regular?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

dianekwon posted:

What is it about the XL that makes you wish you would have gotten the regular?

For one, I lack stereoscopic vision. While both of my eyes are relatively fine, my brain only interprets the stimulus from one eye at a time. Which means I have lovely depth perception and don't perceive 3D, so the larger sweet spot doesn't really mean anything. Second, I'm myopic to the point where when I hold the system far away enough to have both screen in my field of vision at the same time, I can't see it as clearly as I'd like to (since I play handhelds without wearing my glasses).

Third, it just cramps my hand but I just need to find out how to hold it properly, maybe. It's not that it's bad, it's just that in my case it's not worth the extra money. I will say this however: after playing around with the video settings for the virtual console games and regular DS games, they definitely look better in their native resolution as opposed to stretched, which I can't imagine being comfortable looking at on the regular 3DS.

I haven't spent time with a regular 3DS aside from the beat-up in-store kiosks; while there are a lot of hardware improvements with the XL, in my case it's hard to say if it was worth the extra money.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

WorldWarWonderful posted:

For one, I lack stereoscopic vision. While both of my eyes are relatively fine, my brain only interprets the stimulus from one eye at a time. Which means I have lovely depth perception and don't perceive 3D, so the larger sweet spot doesn't really mean anything.

Hey, me too! I've never met anyone else with the same problem I have. At least we can conserve battery power by playing with 3D off all the time, right?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This arrived recently and, as the oddity it is, I thought you guys would like to look at it.

It's a sealed copy of Zekkyō Senshi Sakeburein, which translates to something like Exclamation Warriors. It's a bizarre little thing as it was an exclusive Club Nintendo Japan game in 2007, focused on multiplayer and on voice commands. I had never heard of it until I was looking for more information on another Club Nintendo Japan exclusive, Tingle's Balloon Fight.

A multiplayer game using only one cart and up to three players, you are a group of Sentai ("Power Rangers") and you use your moves by shouting their names in unison. You can see a video of a group playing it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM7ZlAok5nQ

It's all *punch* *punch* *kick*.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Oh poo poo, Ive wanted that game for years, but totally forgot the name. What did it cost you?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I'm kind of considering getting a XL, is my Nintendo Ambassador'd black 3DS going to be worth more than a regular 3DS or do most people not care about that?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

What did it cost you?

The cheapest I could snag it from ebay was $18.89 + $4 (shipping). The others were around $25, I think.

Geektox posted:

I'm kind of considering getting a XL, is my Nintendo Ambassador'd black 3DS going to be worth more than a regular 3DS or do most people not care about that?

If you aren't going to transfer the games to a new system, you're basically selling one with a bunch of preloaded games, which should net you some additional money. I'd transfer them, though.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 27, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Saoshyant posted:

If you aren't going to transfer the games to a new system, you're basically selling one with a bunch of preloaded games, which should net you some additional money. I'd transfer them, though.

Oh you can just transfer them? Cool, after the whole WiiU account fiasco I just sort of assumed it was locked to the hardware.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Geektox posted:

Oh you can just transfer them? Cool, after the whole WiiU account fiasco I just sort of assumed it was locked to the hardware.

You need both systems together and a wifi connection. There's a system transfer utility that just shoves all your stuff from one console to another, and when it's over the last step is to swap SD cards. If you were planning on using the cash from the Abassador'd unit to buy the XL, keep that in mind.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I pretty much sat on the floor in Gamestop for 20 minutes letting the system transfer go so I could do a trade in m'self.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm looking to catch up on the DS/3DS hosed up game genre. Do I have many options? Actual genre doesn't matter, I just want some dark, bleak horrorish games. Could be ghosts, murder, possession, zombies, whatever. I just started RE:R and it made me realize that horror works really well on portable game systems. You really get sucked in.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You've played 999 already, right? That's probably the closest thing the DS has to a quality horror game. Off the top of my head there's also Dementium and Theresia, which are both pretty lovely in their own ways. There's also Nanashi no Game, didn't come out over here but there is an English patch for it. No clue if that ended up being any good though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm looking to catch up on the DS/3DS hosed up game genre. Do I have many options? Actual genre doesn't matter, I just want some dark, bleak horrorish games. Could be ghosts, murder, possession, zombies, whatever. I just started RE:R and it made me realize that horror works really well on portable game systems. You really get sucked in.

Would Ghost Trick count? It's not really scary or startling, and the art is cute, but it's a pretty creepy murder mystery. It's as close to a page turner mystery novel as a game can get.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'd consider 999 on the DS horror-ish. It's more suspensful than horror but when/if someone dies you get a nice grim explanation about it and you're kinda on edge the whole time. For actual horror there was a game on the DS called Dementium which was good. First person survival sorta setup in a hospital. Let you write everything down on your notebook and solve poo poo within the game. Apparently it had a sequel too which was from what I hear even better graphically and story wise but I haven't had a chance to pick it up myself.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I literally didn't buy a single 3DS game in 2012 after reading impressions for stuff I was initially excited for :/ looking forward to Etrian Odyssey 4 until the Internet tells me why it's bad

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

Dehry posted:

Seconding this. The nyko power pak is $10 and drastically improves battery life. There's supposed to be a newer model that's even better called the power grip pro.

The power grip pro has been cancel a while back. :(

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/nyko-no-longer-releasing-the-power-grip-pro/

geeksauce
Mar 1, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I literally didn't buy a single 3DS game in 2012 after reading impressions for stuff I was initially excited for :/ looking forward to Etrian Odyssey 4 until the Internet tells me why it's bad

If you don't mind me asking, what were the games you were excited for that you skipped? The internet can be a cruel place, and while lots of people can rip into a game, another large batch of people may love it and just not be as vocal.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
If Kid Icarus: Uprising was one you passed on I'd take another look at it again, I just beat it a few days ago. Yes the controls are difficult, but after some adjusting and an hour or so of play time I got pretty used to it and eventually good at it (the stand that comes with the game can help a lot). It was so much fun; the shooting on-rails sequences were awesome, and beautiful, and make me really wish theyd make a new Starfox for the system. The on foot sections is where you'll struggle (initially) with the controls, but it gets to be a lot of fun, and the constant banter between the characters is fun and endearing. The single-player campaign is pretty lengthy; I havent yet touched multiplayer and maybe wont, but it was a great buy.

Right now though I'm taking a break from Harvest Moon ANB and playing the Fire Emblem GBA ambassador game and a DS game I bought ages ago but never got around to, Dragon Quest 5.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Just preordered the Fire Emblem 3DS; what're the best screen protectors for the thing cause I don't want to scratch the top screen? Bonus points for being available B&M or at a place with free shipping.

edit: I know about the hori protector but I couldn't find one with the conditions above

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 28, 2013

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Hori really is the go-to brand for screen protectors. It's eligible for free shipping so if you can find something else to buy to push you over $25 that would be the best deal. As of this post they're even on sale for $7.19. Failing that, you'll have to look around for a brick-and-mortar that sells them in your area.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So what's the deal with the Circle Pro Plus or whatever the gently caress they call it? Y'know, the second analogue stick attachment that was a thing for like two games ever and then was apparently forgotten about. Is there a version of it that fits the XL? Will I ever have to worry about the 3DSi XLite coming out and having a second circle pad built in? Or has it been abandoned entirely for being too good/convenient of an idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Philip Rivers posted:

So what's the deal with the Circle Pro Plus or whatever the gently caress they call it? Y'know, the second analogue stick attachment that was a thing for like two games ever and then was apparently forgotten about. Is there a version of it that fits the XL? Will I ever have to worry about the 3DSi XLite coming out and having a second circle pad built in? Or has it been abandoned entirely for being too good/convenient of an idea?

There is a version of the Circle Pad Pro that fits the XL, but I've only ever seen it on sale in Japan. No plans from Nintendo to incorporate the second stick into the 3DS itself, since most games don't use it.

Honestly, unless you plan on playing Resident Evil or Monster Hunter, don't bother.

• Locked thread