Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Dude posted some pics of the '99 with the "blown motor"

http://imgur.com/a/ayRDR#P5sRmKm

I should probably just offer via email to pay his asking price tomorrow assuming it matches the photos/description. I have the cash I just wasn't expecting something like this to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flier129
Aug 28, 2012

grumplestiltzkin posted:

July 26-28th is the Miatas at the Gap event at Tail of the Dragon. I'm already on taking some vacation time and driving up from Florida. Any other AIgoons plan on going? Apparently last year there were over 400 Miatas spreading the :D faced love at the gap.

Shameless plug..... http://www.aforwardmotion.com/miatas-at-the-gap-xvi/

I've been going for awhile now. I recently moved away from the gap :( but I make a run every 3 months or less.

Nodoze posted:

Are d2's any good on miatas? The reviews I've read people seem to like them

There's lots of setups I would consider before D2's. FM's Vmaxx, Koni/GC setup, Tein Flex, and the answer to any suspension for a miata, Xida's from 949racing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I took the 2 up to the gap, it wasn't as much fun as the Miata. :(

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

grumplestiltzkin posted:

July 26-28th is the Miatas at the Gap event at Tail of the Dragon. I'm already on taking some vacation time and driving up from Florida. Any other AIgoons plan on going? Apparently last year there were over 400 Miatas spreading the :D faced love at the gap.

I probably will maybe go. Id like to see how people are fitting seats.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Nodoze posted:

Someone here has done a 1.8 swap before right? Is it as easy as people make it out to be? There a 1.6 for sale with a hard top at a good price and my friend has an extra 1.8 set up with a torsen that I could probably buy off him.

This is all theoretical till I know for sure what happens with my car but trying to get an idea so I can act quick. Are d2's any good on miatas? The reviews I've read people seem to like them

Externally they are the same motor. Only thing you need to do is make the engine controls work. Not sure if you can swap sensors around so a 1.6L ECU runs a 1.8L motor. I'm sure it could be done but it wouldn't be ideal and would need band aids like a FPR to not run lean as poo poo. Aftermarket ECU would be the "easiest" way to solve that but then you'd have to tune it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Flyin' miata sells a 1.8 swap kit. Seems easy enough.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I hate my goddamned Miata.

I have a slight misfire in the car. It's most noticable at very slight throttle, basically when maintaining speed on the highway, or driving slowly in parking garages and such.

Every time I think I've had the issue fixed, it takes about 20 minutes of driving for it to come back again.

I've replaced the Plugs, Wires, and Ignition coil, every time I replaced these it drove fine for about 30 minutes, then the misfire came back. I've also replaced the TPS and Fuel Filter for unrelated reasons.

When I replaced the ignition coil, I noticed a lot of carbon in the spark plug towers on them.

Tonight I'm going to go home and make sure all of the other stuff didn't foul my plugs since I replaced them first. In addition to this I think something on my coil pack may be getting too hot since I've replaced it, as the car has an unusual odor coming from the back of the engine bay now. Awesome. I'm also going to clean two ground points tonight, one under the brake MC and the other by the throttle body and see if that resolves anything too.

Does anyone else have any thoughts as to what it could be, or what other checks I could do to try to diagnose this issue? It's incredibly frustrating, why do the ignitions on these cars suck so much rear end.

edit: Car is a 1996 with 108k miles on it, and probably a less-than-stellar prior service history.

edit2: No codes unfortunately.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 24, 2013

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Any codes?

I put injectors in a friends Miata that was misfiring from a leaky injector. We decided on that after going through most of the ignition system.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I had a very similar issue that wouldnt die, and it was fixed by a better-quality valve cover gasket (and wires, for me). I had oil and water getting into the spark plug "chamber" (?) and causing rough running. An ebay one started the issue, than a local auto parts store one, when i bit the bullet and went to mazda for the part, the issues stopped. Check for signs of oil and water on top of the plugs, and change if you see anything.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Going to check out the $1500 '99 with the "blown engine" on Saturday. The guy told me the best offer he has is $1250, which is a strange thing to say. It tells me it's either in much worse condition than he leads on, or there is no one around here not scared off by the "blown engine" line in the posting.

Other than the usual Miata stuff, is there anything specific I should look out for on an NB? Is there anything I can do to get an idea of what kind of damage the engine suffered by being ran without oil?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

It works!

Or it boots, flashes firmware, and talks to TunerStudio, anyway.

Now all I have to do is jumper it to the connector board, add a few more odds and ends, replace injectors, switch out the O2 sensor (curse it), IAT, run a vacuum hose for the MAP sensor, some odds and ends of wiring, and settle down with a good book on tuning. If only it was warm enough to go work in the garage...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Korwen posted:

Does anyone else have any thoughts as to what it could be, or what other checks I could do to try to diagnose this issue? It's incredibly frustrating, why do the ignitions on these cars suck so much rear end.

It's very possible that you got a bad plug. Or the fuel pump could be acting up.

The ignitions aren't that bad, it just needs to be maintained. On my next Miata I'm gonna do the Toyota COP swap and fuhgeddaboudit.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I'm never going to pass a broomstick test, am I? This is with an inch of foam removed already.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Style bars are a waste of time. Sell it and get a full roll bar. My current car came with one and I was able to get 200$ for it in like 24H, if you're fine with sitting on it for a while 300+ isn't out of the question either.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You only need to be under the bar for track.

That is a real rollbar. Boss Frog iirc

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Phone posted:

You only need to be under the bar for track.

That is a real rollbar. Boss Frog iirc

It is indeed. I had plans to take it out to Mid-Ohio Raceway this year. I'm only 6', but I guess I must be all torso or something.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

saint gerald posted:

It is indeed. I had plans to take it out to Mid-Ohio Raceway this year. I'm only 6', but I guess I must be all torso or something.

Bolt another seat to the floor, you'll be fine.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I have a 2006 Miata with 41000 miles on it. What maintenance should I perform, if any?

I've had this done so far:
  • Regular oil/filter changes
  • New tires
  • New brake pads
  • Several wiper replacements

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

destructo posted:

Bolt another seat to the floor, you'll be fine.

This. I had an even worse problem than him, i was probibly an inch or two OVER the bar on the stock seat and rails, so i bought a used Sparco sprint V, a pre-fabbed seat bracket, and wielded 2 90 degree steel brackets to bolt the seat to. Got me well below the bar, but with the helmet on im not as low as i'd like.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dominoes posted:

I have a 2006 Miata with 41000 miles on it. What maintenance should I perform, if any?

• New tires
  • New brake pads

I don't think you really have to do anything, but this is recommended for pre-FL NBs by ~40k miles, if you feel like it:
  • Spark plugs
  • Air filter
  • Coolant
  • Fuel filter
  • Gearbox and diff oil
  • Brake fluid

Last year I did most of these on my NBFL which has similar mileage but obviously is a bit older. :feelsgood:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Dominoes posted:

• New tires
  • New brake pads

Look in the owners manual - do services at mileages it recommends.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

This. I had an even worse problem than him, i was probibly an inch or two OVER the bar on the stock seat and rails, so i bought a used Sparco sprint V, a pre-fabbed seat bracket, and wielded 2 90 degree steel brackets to bolt the seat to. Got me well below the bar, but with the helmet on im not as low as i'd like.

How's the Sprint V for longer trips? I know it's not going to be as comfy as stock, but as long as it's bearable for a few hours at a stretch I should be able to get out to Lexington.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

saint gerald posted:

How's the Sprint V for longer trips? I know it's not going to be as comfy as stock, but as long as it's bearable for a few hours at a stretch I should be able to get out to Lexington.

I find it better than stock. Stock seats in a '99 are the worst though. In the stock seats by back would kill after a few hours, with the sprint v my rear end goes a bit numb but my back is fine.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

saint gerald posted:

Unless Lexington is where you event is swapping out seats takes ~15-20 minutes per seat once you do it a handful of times.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

saint gerald posted:

Another opinion: It's not great. The bottom is paper thin and if you're mounting to the floor you'll probably be feeling the floor pan. It's very upright and you have to mount it with a decent angle for it to be even remotely comfortable. I was not a fan.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So tax return time!

I plan on buying some Koni shocks with some tax money and wanted to know what springs people recommend? I plan to do some autocrossing this season.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So, now that the rollbar, sparco buckets, and 6 points are in, I'm torn on what to do next. The plan eventually is:

-RB 1.125" hollow front swaybar
-9" wide 6UL's with 225/45/15 rubber
-Xida clubsports with dual springs or FCM's, I'm torn between the two. Likely 700/400 spring rates.

The thing is, I can likely only do suspension or wheels this year, but not both. The sway bar is likely going to be done this year. Is there something I'm missing in terms of easy performance, or that should really be done before the above?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do you have an NB? Grab a 2001-2005 header.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah sorry, '99NB.

E: from what I'm reading, that's about a 2-4hp & a 2-4ft-lbs increase?

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 27, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's cheap, like $50.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm in Canada, so it's harder to find. I'll keep my eyes open. I believe I'd need gaskets + EGR tube + some modifications for an O2 sensor if I'm reading things correctly?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

So, now that the rollbar, sparco buckets, and 6 points are in, I'm torn on what to do next. The plan eventually is:

-Xida clubsports with dual springs or FCM's, I'm torn between the two. Likely 700/400 spring rates.

The thing is, I can likely only do suspension or wheels this year, but not both. The sway bar is likely going to be done this year. Is there something I'm missing in terms of easy performance, or that should really be done before the above?

Cant wait to hear what you think of it. This is exactly what I want on my car.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sadi posted:

Cant wait to hear what you think of it. This is exactly what I want on my car.

I drove a friends setup that is exactly that, except on an NA. I can confirm it is incredible. Honestly it's what sold me on spending that much money on suspension. Turn in was precise, accurate, balanced, there was so much feedback, it was great. Basically what convinced me that blowing that much money on suspension was worth it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

I'd consider doing all of the suspension bushings, they're also pretty cheap but the labor is intense. Might make more sense to install those and the coils at the same time.

flier129
Aug 28, 2012

TrueChaos posted:

I have that suspension setup now, except I have the RB hollow swaybar with the thicker wall. I'd HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the Xidas, the make my car for sure. FCM's ride great,but for performance the Xidas can't be beaten. That being said the ASTs swallow up(lolz) the 700/400 spring-rates, rides better than my dad's 91 with FM 2.5 suspension(KYBs).

I would consider getting the support blocks with your sway-bar, otherwise that bigass sway ends up flexing the mounting brackets around. Bushings is a great way to freshing up the car, but it's pretty drat time consuming.

You'll pick up the most speed/fun with the wheels and tires. I ran the 15x9s and 225 RS3s with my stock r-package suspension for awhile, it was a lot of fun.

Edit: I see you've driven on the setup, I didn't need to say anything lol.

flier129 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 27, 2013

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Any idea what suspension this is? He just calls it Flyin Miata Improved Handling.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/3573992685.html

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Any idea what suspension this is? He just calls it Flyin Miata Improved Handling.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/3573992685.html

Looks like KYB AGX adjustables with FM springs and top hats.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Suggestions where to find a 01+ Header for my 99nb?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're pretty bad shocks, arguably worse than the factory ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

the spyder posted:

Suggestions where to find a 01+ Header for my 99nb?

I can sell you mine, but shipping is not going to be cheap.