Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lord Lambeth posted:

This mod throws them back in, along with a bunch of other small cut content.
IS that a new nexus thing where you can click on "download with manager", which does nothing, or "download manually" where you get a 404 error?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

2house2fly posted:

It felt so weird to go back to Fallout 3 and pick up one of the two types of shotgun in the game (excluding The Terrible Shotgun which looks exactly the same as a normal combat shotgun) and see that its ammo is "shotgun shells". It was also weird that my character had 100 in Melee Weapons, 9 strength and endurance and 15 in Small Guns and I was still at least as effective with guns as with the unique nail board I found. In NV melee combat wrecks poo poo right from the word go, in F3 it feels like a backup in case you run out of ammo.

It's almost like it would be more realistic that a gun would do more damage than a board with a nail in it. Who knew.

Honestly, melee is a little TOO good in NV.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Xander77 posted:

IS that a new nexus thing where you can click on "download with manager", which does nothing, or "download manually" where you get a 404 error?

Just keep trying to download manually, nexus has never not been janky for me.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FlyingCheese posted:

It's almost like it would be more realistic that a gun would do more damage than a board with a nail in it. Who knew.

Surely this is a design error and not a way to make close range combat competitive with firearms up to endgame.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FlyingCheese posted:

It's almost like it would be good design that entire skillsets with numerous and varied weapons wouldn't get totally poo poo on by other skills.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Sure, I wouldn't want one playstyle to not be competitive compared to another. However, in my most recent playthrough I was playing a guns character. I had maxed out guns, had like 15 points in melee (never once upgraded it). I ran out of ammo in OWB at around level 30 and picked up the proton inversal axe and proceeded to slaughter everything in sight. I was killing things faster than with all the best guns I had and maxed out gun skill. Melee was still doing far more damage and taking down enemies that were absolute bullet sponges before with 2-3 hits with the axe. That shouldn't be possible.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Guns is full of faster-firing low damage weapons, which of course do poorly vs. the high DT enemy encounters in OWB. Try harder hitting yet fast-firing stuff like the plasma defender, sniper rifle or This Machine, and the trail carbine/Fido. (OWB shits out .357 and .44 ammo)

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

FlyingCheese posted:

Sure, I wouldn't want one playstyle to not be competitive compared to another. However, in my most recent playthrough I was playing a guns character. I had maxed out guns, had like 15 points in melee (never once upgraded it). I ran out of ammo in OWB at around level 30 and picked up the proton inversal axe and proceeded to slaughter everything in sight. I was killing things faster than with all the best guns I had and maxed out gun skill. Melee was still doing far more damage and taking down enemies that were absolute bullet sponges before with 2-3 hits with the axe. That shouldn't be possible.

I really don't enjoy late-game gunplay in NV. There's nothing more flow-breaking and weird than you and an NPC standing next to each other unloading an entire clip of ammunition into one another, each taking the time to reload, and continuing to fire. That might be because one of my other favourite games is Stalker which prides itself on being able to kill you in an instant, but NV could certainly do with being more dangerous to shoot someone in the face with a loving laser. All that said, it tends to balance out eventually since enemies shooting at you have the same problem, and enemies with melee weapons can absolutely beast you, and the failings of the plasma pistol only drive you harder to find a Gauss rifle.

On that note I had virtually no fun with Operation Anchorage until I installed the realistic guns and ammo mod, but mostly because that took everything too far in the other direction and was hilarious.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hbomberguy posted:

I really don't enjoy late-game gunplay in NV. There's nothing more flow-breaking and weird than you and an NPC standing next to each other unloading an entire clip of ammunition into one another, each taking the time to reload, and continuing to fire. That might be because one of my other favourite games is Stalker which prides itself on being able to kill you in an instant, but NV could certainly do with being more dangerous to shoot someone in the face with a loving laser. All that said, it tends to balance out eventually since enemies shooting at you have the same problem, and enemies with melee weapons can absolutely beast you, and the failings of the plasma pistol only drive you harder to find a Gauss rifle.
There are perks that will turn many Guns into absolute murder machines (And Stay Back for the Riot Shotgun, Grunt for the .45 Auto SMG, Cowboy for Trail Carbine/Brush Gun) and there's addiction-free rushing water that makes the non-automatic weapons fire like a meth maniac since ranged weapons don't have an action speed cap like melee weapons do, which actually can limit the effectiveness of Slayer in some situations. (~3.3 attacks per second for two-handed weapons, 4.5 attacks per second for one-handed weapons.)

The game isn't horribly unbalanced in favor of melee weapons, but energy weapons could have been given a bit better shake since there are a relative lack of perks in comparison to Guns that don't do stuff that is largely situational. Then again, with optimized cells (if you have GRA) they get bumped up to being the most ridiculously damaging weapons in the game.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 27, 2013

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The game isn't horribly unbalanced in favor of melee weapons, but energy weapons could have been given a bit better shake since there are a relative lack of perks in comparison to Guns that don't do stuff that is largely situational.

I never said it was unbalanced, 'balance' can be a bit of a red herring term in video games. There's just a window of time between low-damage guns and high-penetration murder machines that feels a bit off, somehow. Not even in comparison to melee weapons or whatever.

Where can I check in-game to see a weapon's penetration threshold or whatever? Because from your posts I get the feeling that the trail carbine is way better than its damage rating would have me believe.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hbomberguy posted:

I never said it was unbalanced, 'balance' can be a bit of a red herring term in video games. There's just a window of time between low-damage guns and high-penetration murder machines that feels a bit off, somehow. Not even in comparison to melee weapons or whatever.

Where can I check in-game to see a weapon's penetration threshold or whatever? Because from your posts I get the feeling that the trail carbine is way better than its damage rating would have me believe.
Living Anatomy shows the DT of enemies. That directly subtracts from your weapon's current damage before ammo and perk multipliers.

With the Trail Carbine, SWC ammo can be used without condition penalty and it has a DT modifier of -6, and if you have a low Guns skill (DT is not compensated by reduced weapon damage, so you will be hilariously ineffective with just about anything short of an AMR without special ammo) it can bump you above a shield indicator on the enemy. Maybe not for 30 DT boss creatures, but most of the enemies do become more vulnerable.

(Also, Trigger Discipline is a terrible trait because it doesn't affect the auto-misses in the base engine.)

That said, the design of the DT system means a lot of the automatic weapons get rendered useless late game, and there should have been a sort of hybrid system where DT/DR are both effective up to 50% damage reduction in each category (so if something doesn't get past DT and the target has 50% DR, the target should be hit for a total of 20% or 25% damage). Or maybe everything in OWB could have stood to be less of a damage sponge and dealt more damage instead.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 27, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FlyingCheese posted:

Nah, I think I'm generally more likely to survive three 9 mm bullets to my chest than I am to survive someone swinging an axe at me anywhere three times.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That said, the design of the DT system means a lot of the automatic weapons get rendered useless late game,

I don't know. Don't most automatic weapons have some kind of DT-crushing ammo? The assault carbine in particular has an inherent armor-piercing capability because all 5 mm ammo reduces some amount of DT, with the exception of hollow points, and if you can make 5 mm JSP's they do an absurd amount of damage, effectively making every other 5 mm round obsolete if you have jury rigging.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 27, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

thehumandignity posted:

I don't know. Don't most automatic weapons have some kind of DT-crushing ammo? The assault carbine in particular has an inherent armor-piercing capability because all 5 mm ammo reduces some amount of DT, with the exception of hollow points, and if you can make 5 mm JSP's they do an absurd amount of damage, effectively making every other 5 mm round obsolete if you have jury rigging.
Yes, but the low damage typically negates what benefit it has against the majority of OWB enemies. It does do pretty nice in the base game, though.

5mm AP crushes all armor, but that's rarely found in stores and Quartermaster "load the loot list 700 times and possibly freeze the game" Bardon is the only person that has a appreciable amount of it.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yes, but the low damage typically negates what benefit it has against the majority of OWB enemies. It does do pretty nice in the base game, though.

5mm AP crushes all armor, but that's rarely found in stores and Quartermaster "load the loot list 700 times and possibly freeze the game" Bardon is the only person that has a appreciable amount of it.

Well yeah, in OWB basically all guns suck. You kind of have to accept that going into it.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

thehumandignity posted:

Nah, I think I'm generally more likely to survive three 9 mm bullets to my chest than I am to survive someone swinging an axe at me anywhere three times.

You think wrong, unless the axe was aimed at your neck or head.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Xander77 posted:

After getting the 404, try replacing the "fs1" part in the URL with something else. "fs2" server works for me.

Smol fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 28, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Derek Dominoe posted:

You think wrong, unless the axe was aimed at your neck or head.

Hold on, let me get my sperg hat.

A heavy enough axe hitting anywhere but the meatiest parts of the torso has a pretty good, if not certain, chance of severing an artery, a wound that will kill pretty quickly without immediate intervention. Bullets, on the other hand, take a (mostly) linear path through tissue and will only kill immediately if they hit something immediately vital, which in the chest means the heart, aorta, or superior/inferior vena cava, or maybe the axillary artery. The bronchus or a lung or a sucking chest wound will be a fatal wound, eventually, but they would take a lot longer to kill you than blood loss would.

Not to mention that I specifically said 9 mm. 5.56, 7.62, basically any rifle round, or even 10 mm (maybe) would be much more likely to kill, but 9 mm rounds don't always have the power to break right through ribs. With 9 mm wounds it's really not uncommon to see bullets or bullet fragments lodged in the ribs or intercostal tissue.

Now I'm not saying that getting shot with a 9 mm is a walk in the park, or even that it isn't likely to kill you. I'm just saying that an axe is, when employed in a way that is deliberately intended to cause death, more likely to do it much faster. In my ideal world not I nor anyone else is ever wounded by either of those two very deadly things.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

So I finally got around to finishing the game (I kept restarting with different character gimmicks) and I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a slide that mentioned the fate of the Legion after the battle. I mean, after killing Caesar, I know they don't have long but a little info would've been nice. I also totally forgot to deal with Vault 19 and now I feel so guilty. I'm sorry NCR citizens! I'll try better in the next universe!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I am currently on a quest in this game to recover my brain, which has been replaced by Tesla coils. To get there, I must fight through giant spitting venus flytraps, lobotomized men with hunting rifles, giant mutated wasp things and a creature that is a cross between I think a coyote and a rattlesnake that can also turn invisible. Once I get my brain back I can go back to the Mojave, and hang out with my friends, the floating eyebot and the woman with a pneumatic powerfist.

What I am getting at here is that realism is not really a major factor in the fallout universe.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Not sure if this is just a general purpose New Vegas thread or what, didn't see another one. I have a crappy laptop I've mentioned before in posts on this forum, but the other night my friend was like "Try to install New Vegas, you'd be surprised what it'll run on" So I did, and the game automatically adjusted itself to run on medium settings. When I played it, it didn't seem very laggy at all from the gameplay, like moving around and such. The mouse cursor in the menus was really choppy though. I turned it all down to the lowest settings and disabled VSync and that took care of most of it. I haven't had a chance to find any battles yet to see how much they might slow it down, but otherwise it seems very playable and that's without any performance adjustments other than the game settings.

Anything I should know as a complete newbie to Fallout? I put my 5 points in agility, endurance and luck. I think I picked the glasses feat, and the 20% slower, 20% more accuracy one too.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

BlazinLow305 posted:

Not sure if this is just a general purpose New Vegas thread or what, didn't see another one. I have a crappy laptop I've mentioned before in posts on this forum, but the other night my friend was like "Try to install New Vegas, you'd be surprised what it'll run on" So I did, and the game automatically adjusted itself to run on medium settings. When I played it, it didn't seem very laggy at all from the gameplay, like moving around and such. The mouse cursor in the menus was really choppy though. I turned it all down to the lowest settings and disabled VSync and that took care of most of it. I haven't had a chance to find any battles yet to see how much they might slow it down, but otherwise it seems very playable and that's without any performance adjustments other than the game settings.

Anything I should know as a complete newbie to Fallout? I put my 5 points in agility, endurance and luck. I think I picked the glasses feat, and the 20% slower, 20% more accuracy one too.

My only advice would be to not horribly piss off either the Legion or the NCR too early. If you have the lowest standing with them, they send out hit squads which can be hell if you're just starting out. Of course you can kill whomever you want, you don't have to listen to anyone. Go crazy! Explore! Experiment! Murder!

Edit: I should add that if you do find yourself with a negative reputation among those two, don't worry. At a certain point in the main questline they will reset it to neutral.

Col. Roy Campbell fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 28, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BlazinLow305 posted:

Aside from the advice given by Col. Campbell, just so you know, Four Eyes reduces your base perception by one in exchange for giving you a +2 perception bonus wearing glasses. It's not much of an issue if you're going for a melee build, but if you're going for a guns type character then bear in mind that some good guns perks need perception, so you might need to boost perception a bit to take the perks, because eligibility goes off your base perception, which thanks to Four Eyes is now 4 if you didn't add or take any points from it at the start.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Remember to talk to everyone...the Fallout setting is a lot of fun, and there are loads of fun NPCs in the game.

I'd recommend a House run for your first playthrough, but really you should do a run for each of the faction endings to get the most out of the game.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I see. I picked Guns, Melee and Explosives for I think it was feats? I was just going to go for a mostly guns build, with some melee effectiveness if I got closed in on. Not sure if that would be viable or not. Should I reroll since I picked 4 eyes and gun build? Or just make sure to put some points in perception as I level?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The game isn't so hard that you should feel the need to reroll a character for fear of being ineffective. I personally wouldn't use that character because it's spread across a whole bunch of combat skills and I'd probably just use one of them for 95% of encounters and not being able to handle either locks or computers early on would drive me batty, but if it's your thing, go for it. If you're smart about it, there's not a whole lot that Isn't Viable.

EDIT: Also, while you get increased skills every level and a new perk every other level, your SPECIAL stats are relatively static. Some perks and quests can increase them and there are a lot of items that give temporary boosts, but they don't naturally increase when you level.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 28, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BlazinLow305 posted:

I see. I picked Guns, Melee and Explosives for I think it was feats? I was just going to go for a mostly guns build, with some melee effectiveness if I got closed in on. Not sure if that would be viable or not. Should I reroll since I picked 4 eyes and gun build? Or just make sure to put some points in perception as I level?

Nah, you'll be ok. You can buy a perception implant later on to boost it back up to 5, and then if you take a point in Intense Training you can get 6 perception, which is really all you need, letting you get the Sniper and Better Criticals perks. Sniper is very useful if you use VATS. If you are doing all your shooting by iron sights, then it might not be worth getting to 6 PER just for Better Criticals.

I would recommend having a look through the perk list once you're around level 10 and know what you're doing, to give yourself an idea of what sort of perks you want to pick up at later levels, because many have stat or skill based requirements you'll want to focus on to get the perks you want.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Best Friends posted:

I am currently on a quest in this game to recover my brain, which has been replaced by Tesla coils.

Once the brain was out, then came the COILS...the TESLA COILS...the COILS of NIKOLA Tesla.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
For Fallout terminology, you "tag" skills, and gain a bonus to them. In NV that means +15 points. You have the choice of up to two traits in character generation that give you a bonus and a penalty. Every even level you'll get to pick a perk, which all have skill and level requirements, but thankfully, the level requirements are all very low, so perk availability is only ever really based on your skills, which is nice. There are no feats.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I've started to prefer non-combat skills when picking tag skills, they generally rely more heavily on the exact number than the combat ones. A few extra points in Barter or Repair or Speech are much handier earlier on than a few extra points in Guns or Explosives. Though if you pick the Skilled trait you get a few extra in everything.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

thehumandignity posted:

Hold on, let me get my sperg hat.

A heavy enough axe hitting anywhere but the meatiest parts of the torso has a pretty good, if not certain, chance of severing an artery, a wound that will kill pretty quickly without immediate intervention. Bullets, on the other hand, take a (mostly) linear path through tissue and will only kill immediately if they hit something immediately vital, which in the chest means the heart, aorta, or superior/inferior vena cava, or maybe the axillary artery. The bronchus or a lung or a sucking chest wound will be a fatal wound, eventually, but they would take a lot longer to kill you than blood loss would.

Not to mention that I specifically said 9 mm. 5.56, 7.62, basically any rifle round, or even 10 mm (maybe) would be much more likely to kill, but 9 mm rounds don't always have the power to break right through ribs. With 9 mm wounds it's really not uncommon to see bullets or bullet fragments lodged in the ribs or intercostal tissue.

Now I'm not saying that getting shot with a 9 mm is a walk in the park, or even that it isn't likely to kill you. I'm just saying that an axe is, when employed in a way that is deliberately intended to cause death, more likely to do it much faster. In my ideal world not I nor anyone else is ever wounded by either of those two very deadly things.

Well, I guess you'd know better than me.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

I've started to prefer non-combat skills when picking tag skills, they generally rely more heavily on the exact number than the combat ones. A few extra points in Barter or Repair or Speech are much handier earlier on than a few extra points in Guns or Explosives. Though if you pick the Skilled trait you get a few extra in everything.

I tag what tends to be most useful. Small Guns, Speech, Lockpick. But I run rebalances mods so tagging is more than +15 points.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

StandardVC10 posted:

I personally like to tag a weapon skill, Speech, and some other non-combat skill. I would say pretty much anything except Barter is very useful. Barter's still useful, but you don't really get as much bang for your buck as you do with any other skill in the game.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
There are also certain skills that complement each other. A high Repair will get you Hand Loader, which is good if your character is a gun's braster. Alternatively, with high Science you can get Vigilant Recycler, which is useful for any weapon that uses energy cell ammo. Survival can be used by itself to make poisons, in case your melee weapons aren't murdering fast enough. Sneak is just damned useful no matter your weapon of choice.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

It's it a bug that the Yao Guai in Honest Hearts have 0 DT? Follows Chalk acted like they were a huge threat but literally every weapon I could find tore right through them.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

oldskool posted:

It's it a bug that the Yao Guai in Honest Hearts have 0 DT? Follows Chalk acted like they were a huge threat but literally every weapon I could find tore right through them.
Nope, they just have large amounts of attack damage.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

My only advice would be to not horribly piss off either the Legion or the NCR too early. If you have the lowest standing with them, they send out hit squads which can be hell if you're just starting out. Of course you can kill whomever you want, you don't have to listen to anyone. Go crazy! Explore! Experiment! Murder!

Edit: I should add that if you do find yourself with a negative reputation among those two, don't worry. At a certain point in the main questline they will reset it to neutral.

Hit squads are Caesar's gift of XP, ammo, and gear to the Courier in hopes that the Courier will be satisfied by the gift and not come after him.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Hit squads are Caesar's gift of XP, ammo, and gear to the Courier in hopes that the Courier will be satisfied by the gift and not come after him.

I prefer it if they don't try to give me the bullets in a used condition, though.

drat, tunnelers are annoying as hell. Thank goodness for the flare gun or they'd rip through me like tissue paper.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Pope Guilty posted:

The thing I hate about hit squads is when they turn up near populated areas and kill the roadside food vendors or whatever. FITZ HAS DONE NOTHING TO YOU, YOU ASSHOLES. :mad:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

The thing I hate about hit squads is when they turn up near populated areas and kill the roadside food vendors or whatever. FITZ HAS DONE NOTHING TO YOU, YOU ASSHOLES. :mad:

Bizarre, this JUST happened to me. What assholes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Speedball posted:

I prefer it if they don't try to give me the bullets in a used condition, though.

drat, tunnelers are annoying as hell. Thank goodness for the flare gun or they'd rip through me like tissue paper.

Pro Tip: the Nail Gun you can find in Lonesome Road rips them a new rear end in a top hat