Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So, the Paladin is my first tech character I've really played with. How exactly do cryo/pyro/tech explosions trigger? And does the upgrade that increases tech combo damage only increase tech combos, or does it also include cryo explosions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

precision posted:

If you're using DC immediately after you Cloak, you're using it too soon and not getting any benefit. You have to wait ~1 second after cloaking to use a power (maybe only off-host?)

OHH, gotcha. That makes a bit of sense, thanks.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Relentless posted:

So, the Paladin is my first tech character I've really played with. How exactly do cryo/pyro/tech explosions trigger? And does the upgrade that increases tech combo damage only increase tech combos, or does it also include cryo explosions?

Tech damage increase is bugged.

As for how it works, you prime with one power detonate with the other.

Example, snap freeze on something then drop an incinerate on them and you'll cause a cryo explosion, incinerate along with cryo will cause a fire explosion.

With energy drain it will only detonate if the drain effect kicks in, in other words it won't detonate if the enemy doesn't shields or a barrier up, energy drain will detonate 100% of the time if its synthetic enemies(geth in other words.)

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

precision posted:

If you're using DC immediately after you Cloak, you're using it too soon and not getting any benefit. You have to wait ~1 second after cloaking to use a power (maybe only off-host?)

Aww, i loved doing cloak + DC in 0,5 seconds. :( Guess i have to make sure i stop doing that.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

precision posted:

Wait what? Is this right? I've been Cloak/DC'ing almost together, does that mean I'm not getting the bonus damage?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Tech damage increase is bugged.

As for how it works, you prime with one power detonate with the other.

Example, snap freeze on something then drop an incinerate on them and you'll cause a cryo explosion, incinerate along with cryo will cause a fire explosion.

With energy drain it will only detonate if the drain effect kicks in, in other words it won't detonate if the enemy doesn't shields or a barrier up, energy drain will detonate 100% of the time if its synthetic enemies(geth in other words.)

Be careful because if you use Snap Freeze to detonate the combo, it's centered on your character and not the primed enemy.

As an aside, it's kinda hard to combo off of anything but Snap Freeze so whatever. I don't think I took duration for Incinerate (if there is one) and same for Shield Drain, so ymmv.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I'd love a krogan engineer with snap freeze in the next update. With flamer and defence matrix. :getin:

E: come to think of it, it's pretty rare to actually see people playing as krogans lately. If I do, it's the shaman of all characters. It's been ages since I saw anyone play as a soldier.

Houdini fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 28, 2013

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Houdini posted:

I'd love a krogan engineer with snap freeze in the next update. With flamer and defence matrix. :getin:

E: come to think of it, it's pretty rare to actually see people playing as krogans lately. If I do, it's the shaman of all characters. It's been ages since I saw anyone play as a soldier.

I was going to say, "HEY I PLAY AS A KROGAN ALL THE TIME," but then I noticed the Shaman caveat. Honestly, if I'm gonna play a melee-focused character, I'm gonna use the Vorcha Soldier instead.

But word, Krogan Engineer would be pretty sweet.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Houdini posted:

I still see Krogans pretty often on PC. Granted, I'm usually the one playing the Krogan...

The Shaman is a pretty boring reskin of the Human Adept though. Soldier and Sentinel forever.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

I still see Krogans pretty often on PC. Granted, I'm usually the one playing the Krogan...

The Shaman is a pretty boring reskin of the Human Adept though. Soldier and Sentinel forever.

But you're forgetting about Barrier, let alone the higher health and shields in general. WALKING ARTILLERY etc.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Dee posted:

But you're forgetting about Barrier, let alone the higher health and shields in general. WALKING ARTILLERY etc.

Shockwave is the shittiest power though, I'd rather use the human and cause explosions all day.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Doc Dee posted:

The Shaman can't use 3 powers to get 2 biotic explosions. :colbert:

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

I get explosions all the drat time. +200% cooldown.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Went to do some matches with Alicorn with my level 12 geth engie, pubbie came in, immediately tried to kick me then kept readying and unreadying to delay the game.

Some people in this game, is my nomad banner not enough for them? I swear, most people with the lone wolf or best of the best title are either assholes or really terrible(no offense to the people here with it.)

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Just got Collector General because I usually play random/random... should I use this or is my Nomad going to be more impressive?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I decided to play my Krogan soldier after all the Krogan chat and holy poo poo is he great. A 135% cooldown bonus with a Harrier I lets you set off fire explosions constantly with carnage, it's fun as hell and absolutely melts armor.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

LogicNinja posted:

Just got Collector General because I usually play random/random... should I use this or is my Nomad going to be more impressive?

Nomad is the most impressive (or at least the most meaningful) Challenge Award.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

LogicNinja posted:

I usually view it as:

1) Best of the Best (since it includes everything)
2/3) Nomad and Lone Wolf (since both require you to play gold)
4) Dog of War (since it requires you to know how to grab)

And then nothing else means anything.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

I've had the tech banner at 97% the week they launched because I've never used the shadow. :negative:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Alteisen posted:

Went to do some matches with Alicorn with my level 12 geth engie, pubbie came in, immediately tried to kick me then kept readying and unreadying to delay the game.

Some people in this game, is my nomad banner not enough for them? I swear, most people with the lone wolf or best of the best title are either assholes or really terrible(no offense to the people here with it.)

Nothing is ever good enough for your typical multiplayer video game player. You're not allowed to dick around with your equipment between rounds (this includes setting up consumables), play a loadout he deems inferior, outscore him, or steal his kills. And god forbid you're not RIGHT THERE the split second his sorry rear end gets dropped.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Houdini posted:

I've had the tech banner at 97% the week they launched because I've never used the shadow. :negative:

I didn't bother to get Biotic God before they changed how all the title cards work and now I'm faced with getting 50000 points with Barrier. Yeah, no. :negative:

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Psion posted:

I didn't bother to get Biotic God before they changed how all the title cards work and now I'm faced with getting 50000 points with Barrier. Yeah, no. :negative:

What did they change? I've done biotic mastery 5 times so far without scoring a single point in barrier.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

It's doable without using Barrier. Throw, Warp, Reave, Singularity, Dark Channel, Annihilation Field, Shockwave and Biotic Charge are all easy to get as long as you have the characters. Pull requires judicious use of the Acolyte, so that might be slightly challenging, and Stasis takes longer than usual but easy to get if you play a bunch of Cerberus matches. Nova is the most challenging to get done on a higher difficulty, but since the same update that added Barrier also added Smash, it's still an easy challenge to complete.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Psion posted:

Bull puckey. There's plenty of good abilities on the list without having to resort to Barrier. Besides, they only changed how the mostly-tiered ones worked, and Biotic Mastery has only the 3 explosion achievements tiered. There are 19 achievements within BM, you only need 14, and the explosions are such a gimme that you basically just need 11 out of 16 powers. Even with Barrier and Biotic Orbs taken out for taking too long, there's still plenty to muck with.

Assuming I've found the right profile, finish up your Singularity and Annihilation Field, and then you've got Pull, Shockwave, Lash, and Smash to pick from for the last two (or I suppose you could keep trucking on Stasis too).

Also, I did Barrier. It was fun. :colbert: Just tooling around on bronze as a kroguard and only spamming Barrier at everything is pretty amusing since you're drat near invincible even without Charge as long as you're not completely retarded about it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ah, I see. I misremembered. I thought Biotic God was one of the ones changed to "you have to do all of the items in this list" instead of the "do x of y" type.

whew, no barrier. THE DAY IS SAVED.

Felinoid posted:

Assuming I've found the right profile,

On a related note I love being able to go look at people's profiles on n7hq. A friend of mine has said that I know his inventory better than he does. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 28, 2013

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Psion posted:

Ah, I see. I misremembered. I thought Biotic God was one of the ones changed to "you have to do all of the items in this list" instead of the "do x of y" type.

whew, no barrier~

Nah, they only did it to the enemy factions and Combat Mastery. And I don't know if Squad Elite was non-resetting before the change, but it certainly is now.

Psion posted:

On a related note I love being able to go look at people's profiles on n7hq. A friend of mine has said that I know his inventory better than he does. :v:

It is pretty handy, isn't it? I wonder how many people are still doing "background checks" on people in lobbies.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Felinoid posted:

It is pretty handy, isn't it? I wonder how many people are still doing "background checks" on people in lobbies.

I still do from time to time. Caught a dude who had hacked the game to give himself 999,999,999 credits, a maxed manifest and had a full 6 in every skill tree for each character.

I didn't even bother playing with him because I knew he'd suck poo poo having just started the game only to hack his way to completion.

He's still not banned.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

He's still not banned.

They've done six ban waves in 11 months, I'm not surprised. It is funny though - anytime I see someone with an ultrarare X I'm skeptical automatically. Some idiot rolls in with N7 130 into my gold game and an Avenger III and I'm like "eh, maybe they can do it."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Nomad is the most impressive (or at least the most meaningful) Challenge Award.

Nomad was the first banner I got after Mathemagician/Biotic God and I still use it the most. I almost never see anyone else using it.

I finally got War Fighter and haven't even used it. Sometimes I use Gun Slinger because :clint:

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

I use sniper because :sicknasty:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Did anyone see that Krogan with a space axe or am I have to go through hell to post it from my phone.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Houdini posted:

Did anyone see that Krogan with a space axe or am I have to go through hell to post it from my phone.

I saw, I want an axe for my kroguard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If ME4's multiplayer doesn't introduce "mounts" (humans can get in Atlases, Krogans can ride dinosaurs, Salarians get giant dragonflies or something, Quarians get nothing because they stink) then Bioware is really stupid.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

precision posted:

If ME4's multiplayer doesn't introduce "mounts" (humans can get in Atlases, Krogans can ride dinosaurs, Salarians get giant dragonflies or something, Quarians get nothing because they stink) then Bioware is really stupid.

Elcor weapons platform.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
2 things I see so far:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
That's more of a space hammer than an axe. :colbert:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Tremors posted:

That's more of a space hammer than an axe. :colbert:

If it's going to cut you into two just the same, I suppose you can call it an axe.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Clock at extraction hits 0.

"You have lost your connection to the mass effect 3 servers.

gently caress you EA, gently caress you Bioware and gently caress your lovely, worthless piece of poo poo servers. :argh:

And yes Nomad is the most impressive, to many of those banners boil down to just grinding guns and poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wow, is that new concept art for the upcoming DLC? Please let there be space battleaxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Felinoid posted:

My favorite background checks are on people with crazy high N7/challenge ratings but don't have one of the top tier titles, because they almost always reveal players that almost never go above bronze.

• Locked thread