Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
Lit Mag Goonrush

Submit your literary feces to the following place: http://boundoff.com/submit/

It's cool because it's a "mag" that reads your story aloud and only buys the rights for that recording, leaving the rest of your rights to you, so you don't lose poo poo for getting accepted and can publish it elsewhere. Read, understand, and follow the guidelines so you can maybe have your story read by a real human being and make a whole $20. I'd gladly pay that much to make sure you all never wrote again.

Proof must be posted, as before, for consideration for winning. Shame falls on those too cowardly to do it. Those accepted should post proof to encourage the failures among us.

Go show them how the loving TD rolls, fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

Lit Mag Goonrush

Submit your literary feces to the following place: http://boundoff.com/submit/

It's cool because it's a "mag" that reads your story aloud and only buys the rights for that recording, leaving the rest of your rights to you, so you don't lose poo poo for getting accepted and can publish it elsewhere. Read, understand, and follow the guidelines so you can maybe have your story read by a real human being and make a whole $20. I'd gladly pay that much to make sure you all never wrote again.

Proof must be posted, as before, for consideration for winning. Shame falls on those too cowardly to do it. Those accepted should post proof to encourage the failures among us.

Go show them how the loving TD rolls, fuckers.

I sincerely doubt it will be chosen, but gently caress IT

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
Looks like at least someone is swinging a pair.

I just want you fuckers to know that you keep me up at night. Literally. Mostly with rage, but--ya know. Up all night for you all the same.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Erik Shawn-Bohner puts the abs in absentee parenting.

Additionally, a friendly reminder to use Proper Manuscript Format for all your submissions (minus the bio stuff in this case). All gratitude for saving yourself from looking the fool is to be directed to Budgieinspector, the hippest cat I know.

EDIT: Better proof.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 28, 2013

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Additionally, a friendly reminder to use Proper Manuscript Format for all your submissions (minus the bio stuff in this case). All gratitude for saving yourself from looking the fool is to be directed to Budgieinspector, the hippest cat I know.

Wellp. That's what I get for just diving right in.

At least I got the double-spacing right. :v:

e: Withdrawn, resubmitting in just a little bit.

e2: Done.

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 28, 2013

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

budgieinspector posted:

How detailed they get would be up to the individual judge, but let's say at least two specific points.

(Really detailed critiques, when you've got to spend a day reading 20-40,000 words just to form an opinion, isn't really feasible.)

No, that's fine. Just, I'm fairly new to this writing lark so a bit more than just what gets given out during the judging would help some, I think.

e: Question re: the submission thing (I have no hope of ever being accepted but still)- While I'm very much in 'Murrica right now, I'm also a student on an F1 visa and we have all kinds of weird guidelines about making money off-campus for whatever reason. Is sending stuff into a literary mag kosher despite that? I'd rather not get into visa-related trouble over something like this. Actually, what would happen if I were back home? I have no idea how this poo poo works.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 28, 2013

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
Budgieinspector your system sounds good to me. (I will totally fail to comply with it though, because of my field of work. It's still a good system)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

STONE OF MADNESS fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 28, 2013

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
Re: Bracer

Send it an worry about it later. If they accept it, tell them to keep the dough. It's only twenty bucks. Then, you have no conflict.

Also marry me.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Erik Shawn-Bohner puts the abs in absentee parenting.

Pfft, formatting schmormatting. They'll take my quadruple spaced turquoise font manuscript and they'll like it.

Ugh fine what a whiner.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 28, 2013

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I can't say I like the way you break my tables.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Re: Bracer

Send it an worry about it later. If they accept it, tell them to keep the dough. It's only twenty bucks. Then, you have no conflict.

Also marry me.

Okay then. I'll consider it in the unlikely event they accept me, boss.

I can't say I'm entirely happy with this but I'm still grinning.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
So... is that a yes to the marriage proposal?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sent!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Sent.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I never had the chance to participate in paired detailed crits and wouldn't mind this in the least. Hopefully my schedule for the rest of the year wouldn't be as mad as the previous three week's so I can provide some valuable input that would surely enrich some goon's writing experience.

Lit Mag Goonrush

lol k

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

This sounds good to me. A question about the submission which I am doing now: their guidelines say no name in the manuscript. So following the formatting guideline posted we should keep the names in the headers but not the pseudo below the title?

EDIT

What did people put in their cover letter? I put GOONRUSH LOLS LOLS LOLS STAIRS THUNDERDOMING.

CancerCakes fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 28, 2013

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

CancerCakes posted:

This sounds good to me. A question about the submission which I am doing now: their guidelines say no name in the manuscript. So following the formatting guideline posted we should keep the names in the headers but not the pseudo below the title?

I just took my name out completely, was that wrong? Herp derp.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.

Sounds good to me for when I, you know, get my rear end in gear and don't gently caress up when it comes down to submission time.

The only thing that's between me and seppuku right now is the dream of redeeming myself in the dome next week!

monkeyboydc fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 28, 2013

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.

Well then

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

budgieinspector posted:

:siren: THUNDERPOLL :siren:

Had some ideas about how everyone could get more bang for their :10bux: (although, really, Thunderdome kicks the poo poo out of writing courses that costs a hundred times that much, so you all ought to be goddamn grateful for what you've got):

DO YOU THINK YOUR TD EXPERIENCE WOULD IMPROVE IF:

* You were guaranteed at least two (short) critiques for every round you entered.

IF SO, WOULD YOU SUPPORT A SYSTEM BY WHICH:

* Every contestant, by default, would be considered available to judge the next round, unless they stated otherwise when posting their entry;
* Contestants who state that they are not available judge the next round would not be eligible to win the current round, nor would they receive any guaranteed critiques;
* Each round of judging would be followed by the two least-senior judges (i.e., the ones who have judged the fewest consecutive rounds) posting (short) critiques of each piece.

These sound fine but I'd take issue with the second point. Anybody should be able to win the contest they enter. A rule like that would probably work towards discouraging new entrees who just want to test the waters and see how they stack up, and not have to worry about looking like a genius in the next round, or who may simply not have the time to commit to back to back rounds.

I feel like the pair judging was a good system but understand that it can lapse due to no shows. Maybe a combo system wherein people who are okay with critiquing (because we seem to have a few) can pull double duty on top of critiques we'd get from judges. There should of course always be at least a few critiques of maybe just the top (what they really liked) or bottom (what could be improved/worked upon) stories from the judges of that week.

edit:

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 28, 2013

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

The Proof is in the Posting.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Submitted!

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Submitted.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Canadian Surf Club posted:

These sound fine but I'd take issue with the second point. Anybody should be able to win the contest they enter. A rule like that would probably work towards discouraging new entrees who just want to test the waters and see how they stack up, and not have to worry about looking like a genius in the next round, or who may simply not have the time to commit to back to back rounds.

I agree on the issue of singling people out for not being able to judge, it seems unfair. Some weeks I would have time to judge if I won, other weeks I wouldn't, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't be eligible to win or get critiques, especially not if everyone else who entered does.

As an aside, I'm happy to critique people at random whenever, I'm just awful at remembering to actually do it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Done.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Canadian Surf Club posted:

Anybody should be able to win the contest they enter.

Fanky Malloons posted:

I agree on the issue of singling people out for not being able to judge, it seems unfair.

The problem, though, is that the winner traditionally becomes the new judge for the upcoming week. If the winner isn't available to judge, someone else has to step up. Would you agree that the person who won the last round has more incentive and motivation to stick around and critique than someone who's just doing the job because the gold medalist was too busy to bother? Would you agree that that sort of situation is unfair to the people who have to pick up the slack? I mean, all of the glory + none of the burden sounds like a pretty sweet arrangement, but it kinda subverts the double-edged sword ethos that so delightfully permeates Thunderdome, no?

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

budgieinspector posted:

:words:

Well, now that I think about it, there have been weeks where I haven't entered because I knew I wouldn't have had time to judge if I won, so you're probably right. I'd actually be more likely to enter in busy weeks if I knew there was no chance of having to judge the next round. We should still be able to get critiques though :colbert:

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
I wish someone would make a thread where you're allowed to post short fiction pieces for criticism and had a rule about reciprocation.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Such a thing would never happen.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
Srsly, folks.

Just go to the Fiction Farm (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527097) and start posting your stuff. Harass people into following suit to post and critique. That's the place for the after-party. Pretend any rules except the reciprocation rule do not apply and make that thread good. Don't even worry about word-count until it becomes an issue. The word-count rules were always counter-productive anyway. We made this thread kick rear end, so we can make the others kick rear end as well.

Stop worrying and learn to love the bomb.

swaziloo
Aug 29, 2012
This happened:

You'll note I came up with a better title.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
next time circle the two "Accepted" marks in red and follow up with a :smuggo:

twinkle cave
Dec 20, 2012

THUNDERBRAWL LOSER
So if I don't submit there's no chance I could win and then have to judge? I'm not submitting twice.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I managed to double space.

I'm never sure what to put in a cover letter for this sort of thing. "Hi from the internet, um, please pay me for my writing?"

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
I usually just attach a picture of my junk for cover letters. If you are using google chrome and hold left control while scrolling in, it's pretty impressive.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Sitting Here posted:

I'm never sure what to put in a cover letter for this sort of thing. "Hi from the internet, um, please pay me for my writing?"

I think generally you just state why you're writing, then the title of your piece and a short description of what it's about. Then thank them for their time and put your name.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Sitting Here posted:

Mine are literally:

Dear [EDITOR--and, for gently caress's sake, take a look at the masthead to figure out who you're addressing, and then spell their name correctly],

Thank you for your time and consideration of [TITLE(S)] for publication.

My work has previously appeared in [PUBLICATIONS].

Best regards,

[ME]

budgieinspector fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 29, 2013

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

It's one of those keep it simple and you can't gently caress up things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I'll be submitting later tonight.

• Locked thread