Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Andy Sneap is on board for the new Amon Amarth album. :getin:
What has Andy Sneap ever done that wasn't a sweltering pile of deer poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Misogynist posted:

What has Andy Sneap ever done that wasn't a sweltering pile of deer poo poo?

The last two Accept albums. That's about it really, unless you want to give him credit for the first two Sabbat albums which he mastered.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Sabbat put out a couple of good albums. Oh you edited that in... or it was there all along but I missed it somehow.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 27, 2013

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
That was always there. I did forget about the Hell album, although I find the production on it detracts from the album!

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
What about the last decade of Kreator tunes? That doesn't count?

e: vvvv wikipeida says remix, sir.

Great Horny Toads! fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 28, 2013

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Did he do the original, godawful version of Nevermore's Enemies of Reality, or did he do the remix/remaster?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

What about the last decade of Kreator tunes? That doesn't count?

e: vvvv wikipeida says remix, sir.

The last decade of Kreator has pretty much defined "trying to ruin your own legacy".

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sneap can sometimes sound a little too dry for my likings, but I did like what he did with Exodus on the two Atrocity Exhibition albums.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I thought he did a decent job on Nevermore's Dead Heart in a Dead World, but almost every single thing he's produced since then has been clinical and algorithmic and way, way overproduced. His trademark "every drum hit is overlaid with a sample" drum production has never not sounded awful.

The Clit Avoider posted:

The last two Accept albums.
Not horrendous, but the snare drum on Stalingrad makes me think I'm listening to Dream Theater's Images and Words for the above reason.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 28, 2013

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Im not sure why they want to change producers anyways, since the same guy did their last 3 which sounded just fine.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

Did he do the original, godawful version of Nevermore's Enemies of Reality, or did he do the remix/remaster?

Sneap did the remix/remaster, as well as production on This Godless Endeavor and the aforementioned Dead Heart, in a Dead World.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

deadwing posted:

Sneap did the remix/remaster, as well as production on This Godless Endeavor and the aforementioned Dead Heart, in a Dead World.
You forgot The Obsidian Conspiracy (most people forget The Obsidian Conspiracy)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The new Helloween album has great drums and mediocre everything else. There's some nice songs but nothing as amazing as Seven Sinners had.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I've been an Arch Enemy fan for years now, and a fan of at least one Carcass album. However a lot of melodeath doesn't really do anything for me, even Amon Amarth which I still do listen to. So finding The Absence is great, more so since it's not about vikings, or any other genre of song writing, and it has great vocals and riffs.

This thread helped me find The Absence.

Thank you thread.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Measly Twerp posted:

I've been an Arch Enemy fan for years now, and a fan of at least one Carcass album. However a lot of melodeath doesn't really do anything for me, even Amon Amarth which I still do listen to. So finding The Absence is great, more so since it's not about vikings, or any other genre of song writing, and it has great vocals and riffs.

This thread helped me find The Absence.

Thank you thread.

Good news about The Absence, as they've recently lost guitarist Peter Joseph but replaced him with Per Nilsson from Scar Symmetry. They have a new album coming out this year.

A lot of melodeath coming out these days is really lovely and uninteresting, but you should try out bands like Insomnium and give older In Flames (like Whoracle and The Jester Race) a shot. Also, Be'lakor is one of the finest melodic death metal bands to come out in recent years. And while I'm on the subject of Austrailian melodeath, Ouroboros is pretty sick too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Y8jOXLL0E

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Defiant Sally posted:

Good news about The Absence, as they've recently lost guitarist Peter Joseph but replaced him with Per Nilsson from Scar Symmetry. They have a new album coming out this year.

A lot of melodeath coming out these days is really lovely and uninteresting, but you should try out bands like Insomnium and give older In Flames (like Whoracle and The Jester Race) a shot. Also, Be'lakor is one of the finest melodic death metal bands to come out in recent years. And while I'm on the subject of Austrailian melodeath, Ouroboros is pretty sick too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Y8jOXLL0E

Thanks, I've actually been enjoying Be'lekor - Of Breath and Bone lately too. Can't beleive their Australian and people have heard of them.

There's something about old In Flames that just doesn't sit right. I think it probably comes from my introduction to melodeath being to Carcass - Heartwork and just wanting more of that. I guess I like my melodeath to be a bit more on the death side?

Thanks for the suggestions, Ouroboros sounds pretty great.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Melodeath couldn't get mentioned without mentioning Kalmah, can it? I got into melodeath with Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom when you could still call CoB melodeath, but I discovered Kalmah one day, and if Arch Enemy is a hamburger, and Children Of Bodom is a 7/11 hotdog, then Kalmah is like Steak to me. Your Mileage Will Vary, but here's one of theirs that I personally like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L4rHQu3npQ

edit: Music Video contains lead guitarist shredding on a rifle. Watch even if you hate it.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 28, 2013

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
This is about as "melodic" as death metal should ever get.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

The Clit Avoider posted:

If I hadn't read the name / got it from this thread I'd assume it was an early demo for Mind Assault.

For comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No3ZNDPt-94

(And yes, this is waaaay more melodic. Actually, Measley, you might like it.)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The much more obvious comparison is Battle Ruins era Arghoslent. Without the racism.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

hemophilia posted:

Melodeath couldn't get mentioned without mentioning Kalmah, can it? I got into melodeath with Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom when you could still call CoB melodeath, but I discovered Kalmah one day, and if Arch Enemy is a hamburger, and Children Of Bodom is a 7/11 hotdog, then Kalmah is like Steak to me. Your Mileage Will Vary, but here's one of theirs that I personally like:

edit: Music Video contains lead guitarist shredding on a rifle. Watch even if you hate it.

I like melodeath for the most part but I have never liked Arch Enemy or COB. Kalmah is great though. Other Finnish melodeath to check out are Omnium Gatherum, Mors Principium Est.

There's also relatively unknown band that I listen to by the name of Quo Vadis that I think falls under melodic death metal and is worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXc19p1DumM

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Oh and this owns too (also finnish melodic death metal), but some of the female clean vocals in some of their songs are painfully awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovqHZwEOOzg

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Well thread, this discussion came about at the right time. Sitting in one of my lectures the other day, an Amon Amarth riff popped into my head despite not having listened to them for ages, and I decided I wanted to try listening to some melodeath again to see whether I still enjoy it. I think I'll always enjoy Slaughter of the Soul and Heartwork, but the genre definitely seems to be a mixed bag for the most part (although I guess this is true of all genres if you don't know what you're looking for). I was really disappointed with Surtur Rising, and stopped listening to Amon Amarth shortly after, but I kind of hope the new album is good, if only because they were such an important gateway band for me.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Amon Amarth is an essential band that I always come back to, and are my go to band for getting pumped in the gym. Really, melodeath comprises my entire gym playlist. Some notable melodeath on that playlist are Mors Principium Est, Gloria Morti, Insomnium, In Mourning, and Allegaeon. Most of these aren't really what I would call a major "stand out" bands, but they are a few of my favorites in that genre.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

The Clit Avoider posted:

counterpoint

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

nomapple posted:

Well thread, this discussion came about at the right time. Sitting in one of my lectures the other day, an Amon Amarth riff popped into my head despite not having listened to them for ages, and I decided I wanted to try listening to some melodeath again to see whether I still enjoy it. I think I'll always enjoy Slaughter of the Soul and Heartwork, but the genre definitely seems to be a mixed bag for the most part (although I guess this is true of all genres if you don't know what you're looking for). I was really disappointed with Surtur Rising, and stopped listening to Amon Amarth shortly after, but I kind of hope the new album is good, if only because they were such an important gateway band for me.

Check out Dawn's Slaughtersun (Crown Of The Triarchy) if you missed it. Melodic black/death metal album par excellence.

e: linky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7_q_F9ubwE

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

yeah but what about

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Check out Dawn's Slaughtersun (Crown Of The Triarchy) if you missed it. Melodic black/death metal album par excellence.

e: linky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7_q_F9ubwE
I tried really, really hard to like this back in the day, but I feel like most of the songs go nowhere -- it just doesn't have the momentum of something like Aeternus's Beyond the Wandering Moon, which I think is a flat-out better album in every respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiDBesm7yGE

Out of the Dissection-alikes, I feel like they really pale next to Sacramentum as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1YXIdfwX9U

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 28, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Yup, those are great albums as well. I'll rebut with Necrophobic's The Nocturnal Silence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXhhKerW20Y&list=PL6FF366F522739E43

e: Also Unanimated's Ancient God of Evil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZYV1rI86Nc

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 28, 2013

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I liked a few of Arch Enemy's tracks, but "Beast of Man" is just Dismember's "On Frozen Fields" with new lyrics and the intro of Amon Amarth's "Without Fear".

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
I'll admit that I do love Arch Enemy's "Silverwing" but maybe it's because something about it reminds me of "Seaside Hill" from Sonic Heroes.

Let Angela growl all over the Seaside Hill theme and you'd have a song for the next Arch Enemy album, really.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I liked a few of Arch Enemy's tracks, but "Beast of Man" is just Dismember's "On Frozen Fields" with new lyrics and the intro of Amon Amarth's "Without Fear".
This seems to really be most of Arch Enemy's career. "Seed of Hate" started out with the chorus riff from Ozzy Osbourne's "Bark at the Moon," "Pilgrim" was Blue Oyster Cult's "Astronomy," etc.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 22, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In metal Facebook news Mirai and Mikannibal from Sigh are getting married

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In metal Facebook news Mirai and Mikannibal from Sigh are getting married

I always figured Mikannibal would be one of those crazy girls that's really good in bed but you'd never want to introduce her to your family ever.

Then again, Mirai's family is probably a wee bit different than mine.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Aww shhiiiiiiit. Boris is touring the US. Bought my tickets for the Seattle gig(s) immediately. They're doing a normal show in every city with un-heard live songs outside of the US and new songs and another night they're doing Flood.

my god this is gonna be amazing. I need peeps to go with.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

WASDF posted:

Aww shhiiiiiiit. Boris is touring the US. Bought my tickets for the Seattle gig(s) immediately. They're doing a normal show in every city with un-heard live songs outside of the US and new songs and another night they're doing Flood.

When and where are they hitting Seattle?

:allears:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Misogynist posted:

You forgot The Obsidian Conspiracy (most people forget The Obsidian Conspiracy)

I thought that Soilwork dude was in charge of loving up The Obsidian Conspiracy.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

WASDF posted:

Sunday May 19th at the Crocodile. loving awesome. I saw Earth there a few months back. The Croc is an alright venue for that kind of stuff.

<edit> Going. Going so hard.
<double edit> Going to both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Qu Appelle posted:

When and where are they hitting Seattle?

:allears:
May 18th and 19th at the crocodile. Two day combo is $25