Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
It makes sense, I suppose. Jet engines seem to be one of those things that we actually don't let the Chinese make for us, and thus is something they can't steal as easily.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when they get into it with Russia in the next twenty years or so. I have the sinking feeling that it will be surprisingly quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

LAX twilight approach and landing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFEtJOF2UpU

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

China did briefly have a McDonnell Douglas factory, a few MD-80s and I think one MD-90 were constructed there. And the former type used the JT8D.

2 md-90s. Delta has them now. 9265 and 9264 I think are the ship numbers.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

PatrickBateman posted:

Yep! http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/McDonnell-Douglas/MD-90/60001,N964DN-Delta-Air-Lines.php http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/McDonnell-Douglas/MD-90/60002,N965DN-Delta-Air-Lines.php

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PatrickBateman posted:

Also why the Comac ARJ21 looks so very familiar. They reused a lot of the tooling they had previously purchased. Oh China.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Canadians, especially in their late 30s and older, might be interested in this Canadian National Film Board production on Max Ward.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/max_ward

Shows some interesting insight in his thoughts and his battle against regulation and the big airlines.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Lobster God posted:

Yep, and I'm pretty sure my dad still has some of those stickers from when he was on Nimrods in the late 80s.

Talking of modifications made to Nimrods during the Falklands:

This is Nimrod MR.2 XV230, which broke up and crashed in Afghanistan in 2006, in part due to the bodged together nature of the air to air refueling system, installed in Nimrods during the Falklands. Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_Nimrod_XV230

I saw a Nimrod at the Houston air show several year back. Loudest plane I've ever heard. Ugly too.

I think the Nimrod might be the only aircraft that is offensive to every sense.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It is pretty much a real world version of what a 6 year old would produce if asked to "draw an airplane"

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!

PhotoKirk posted:

I saw a Nimrod at the Houston air show several year back. Loudest plane I've ever heard. Ugly too.

I had the "pleasure" of watching one of these plow into Lake Ontario back in 1996. I was just mad I didn't get to see the rest of the airshow

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ctishman posted:

It makes sense, I suppose. Jet engines seem to be one of those things that we actually don't let the Chinese make for us, and thus is something they can't steal as easily.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when they get into it with Russia in the next twenty years or so. I have the sinking feeling that it will be surprisingly quick.

This is probably better for the other thread but -

- you think China is gonna seek Lebensraum in Siberia?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 28, 2013

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

DiscoDickTease posted:

I had the "pleasure" of watching one of these plow into Lake Ontario back in 1996. I was just mad I didn't get to see the rest of the airshow

Here's the ugly fucker hitting the drink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o6PitZEmMI

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Got this email from a buddy of mine a few days ago.

quote:

I have been told that there is a complete Constellation passenger airplane parked at the airport in Aguadilla (BQN). It is parked where the B-52's used to park when this was a SAC base. It is parked in an area where it can't be seen from the operating RW or from the road that passes near it. I've been trying to get permission to go over and look at it. May do that next week. I was told today, by a reliable airport source that the Constellation was previously owned by the Queen of England. Apparently, it was damaged in a taxi accident with another plane 25 years ago and has been there ever since. I will try very hard to get pictures.

A quick web search confirmed (some) of what he'd heard - HI-542CT, abandoned at the Borinquen airport after being struck by a runaway DC-4 some time in the early nineties.

off to Google Maps!

https://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...68&z=19&iwloc=A

The shape is unmistakable.

Over the weekend he got someone to take him to the section of the airport where the plane is parked, and got pics.
They are heartbreaking.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well it was a plot of Tom Clancy novel so... :clancyfap:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

buttcrackmenace posted:

Got this email from a buddy of mine a few days ago.

A quick web search confirmed (some) of what he'd heard - HI-542CT, abandoned at the Borinquen airport after being struck by a runaway DC-4 some time in the early nineties.

off to Google Maps!

https://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...68&z=19&iwloc=A

The shape is unmistakable.

Over the weekend he got someone to take him to the section of the airport where the plane is parked, and got pics.
They are heartbreaking.

:ohdear: That poor Constellation...

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

Even the AEW3 variant was pure beauty, how can you say any comet derivative is ugly?

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

China isn't going to start poo poo, I don't think. They've got all the raum they could ever want to Lebe in (as for land quality, Siberia offers nothing they don't already have in plenty). Their major concern will be stabilizing the massive economic gains they've made over the past few decades. Finally, ambition to conquest and colonization isn't really baked into the Chinese national character and mythos.

Certain elements in the Russian government, *cough* however, do see the former SSRs as part of their rightful territory. Their recent program of re-armament as an element of a greater economic recovery will leave them with a lot of influence to throw around. I'm just speculating, though.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
China's arable land is shrinking rapidly through desertification, and there's more to Siberia than just open space. I won't pretend to know what they are going to do, just that they will be going through or are having a dust bowl scenario already this decade.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

EightBit posted:

China's arable land is shrinking rapidly through desertification, and there's more to Siberia than just open space. I won't pretend to know what they are going to do, just that they will be going through or are having a dust bowl scenario already this decade.

Is it man-made or natural?

Oh wait, sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXejUgnxQps
AIRPLANES

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

StandardVC10 posted:

China did briefly have a McDonnell Douglas factory, a few MD-80s and I think one MD-90 were constructed there. And the former type used the JT8D.

Two MD-90s. Fun fact: Delta is the only airline to operate Chinese assembled aircraft.

edit: gently caress beaten there is another page and everything

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ctishman posted:

Is it man-made or natural?

Oh wait, sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXejUgnxQps
AIRPLANES

I still find it so hard to believe that there is only one flying IL-2 in the world, considering how many they made.

Beyond that, I can think of a whole pile of significant historical aircraft with no airworthy examples. If I was a billionaire...

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

MrChips posted:

Beyond that, I can think of a whole pile of significant historical aircraft with no airworthy examples. If I was a billionaire...

B-motherfuckin-36 please. That'd be fantastic!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MrChips posted:

I was going to say that if I was a multi-billionaire, I would make a Convair 990 my executive jet, that would show those johnny-come-latelys in their Citation Xs and G650s! Then I got to thinking more seriously- there are a few business jets at the top of the market where adding 0.01 mach to the advertised cruising speed is apparently a thing... is that actually a meaningful sales metric when Mach 1 is a pretty clear ceiling on that?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MrChips posted:

I still find it so hard to believe that there is only one flying IL-2 in the world, considering how many they made.

Here's a quick chart I whipped up.

It seems the best chance of survival is being an allied fighter aircraft. (Don't consider USSR Allied)

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I was going to say that if I was a multi-billionaire, I would make a Convair 990 my executive jet, that would show those johnny-come-latelys in their Citation Xs and G650s!

Same but L-1011 with onboard rock wall :hellyeah:

quote:

Then I got to thinking more seriously- there are a few business jets at the top of the market where adding 0.01 mach to the advertised cruising speed is apparently a thing... is that actually a meaningful sales metric when Mach 1 is a pretty clear ceiling on that?

Apparently the test people are sworn to secrecy whether the new Gulfstream broke Mach during the dive portion of certification testing.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
i had no idea there were exactly 0 Ju88's left flying. I know preserving aircraft, and especially German aircarft, wouldn't have been too high on anybody's priorities post-war but what happened to them all? Or were they mostly lost before the war was over?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Polymerized Cum posted:

Apparently the test people are sworn to secrecy whether the new Gulfstream broke Mach during the dive portion of certification testing.

A DC-8 pulled the same trick back when that type was still fairly new. I know that it's possible to do it. I was thinking more along the lines of higher cruising speeds mattering as much as say, top speed numbers for supercars, if there's a point where you won't be able to cruise any faster than the other business jet types on offer anyway because you'll create a sonic boom any faster.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

jammyozzy posted:

i had no idea there were exactly 0 Ju88's left flying. I know preserving aircraft, and especially German aircarft, wouldn't have been too high on anybody's priorities post-war but what happened to them all? Or were they mostly lost before the war was over?

It wasn't a priority anywhere. Mustangs are thick on the ground because people bought them up as private planes. We've got a few of the 2 and 4 engine bombers because they were used as executive transports, or water bombers or whatever for long enough for people to get interested.

Story goes you could buy a Mustang still crated for shipping for 2000$ post-war. Of course, you could buy a modest 2br house for 2000$, but still, a lot of people did. Jugs were a lot bigger, and a lot shorter legged, so even though more of them were built, a lot fewer of them found a way to stay useful into the 70's when people decided to start preserving/restoring them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The last time I visited the air museum at Palm Springs, my family and I talked with a docent in his mid-eighties who had flown P-38s in World War II. He mentioned gathering together a few of his buddies and visiting an airfield where they were selling surplus examples, getting in one and taking a taxi test; apparently between them they had the money to pick one up, and it was in great shape, but they had already burned a pretty high value in gasoline just taking it down the runway (I forget the estimate they gave) and actually flying it would have been very expensive indeed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

StandardVC10 posted:

...had already burned a pretty high value in gasoline just taking it down the runway (I forget the estimate they gave) and actually flying it would have been very expensive indeed.

Anybody know what the per-hour fuel cost of 6 Wasp majors and 4 J47s would be?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

A RAF Hawk just took off from Calgary. While it was awesomely loud I need to know WHY there was a Hawk taking off from Calgary. I'm guessing it's Suffield related, but what could the be doing here that they can't do in Jolly England? Cold weather training? Because they picked a hell of a good week for it then.

Anyways, Hawks are really cool looking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

joat mon posted:

Anybody know what the per-hour fuel cost of 6 Wasp majors and 4 J47s would be?

Rough calculations:
6,837 Lbs/avgas per hour for the 6 Wasps
22,736 lbs/JP4 per hour for the 4 Non-Water Injected GE J47s

At $6.45 per lb of Avgas, the total cost for one hour operation of the Wasps would be: $44,098/hr
Since JP4 is no longer made since 1995, its equivilent Jet A at $5.99 per lb: $136,189/hr

Total cost for an hour of operation? $180,287

But don't worry, you can shutoff the J47s once in the air :haw:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Captain Postal posted:

B-motherfuckin-36 please. That'd be fantastic!

There's one in private hands!
http://goo.gl/maps/LUwyc
(a unique fixer-upper opportunity)

Cedhed
Feb 27, 2006
Whee!

CommieGIR posted:

Rough calculations:
6,837 Lbs/avgas per hour for the 6 Wasps
22,736 lbs/JP4 per hour for the 4 Non-Water Injected GE J47s

At $6.45 per lb of Avgas, the total cost for one hour operation of the Wasps would be: $44,098/hr
Since JP4 is no longer made since 1995, its equivilent Jet A at $5.99 per lb: $136,189/hr

Total cost for an hour of operation? $180,287

But don't worry, you can shutoff the J47s once in the air :haw:

But Avgas and Jet A are sold per gallon.

So 6.02 lbs per gallon of avgas = 1135.71 gallons * $6.45/gallon= $7325.35

and 6.79 lbs per gallon of Jet A = 3348.45 gallons * $5.99/gallon= 20057.22

So only $27,382.57 per flight hour. Almost affordable!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cedhed posted:

But Avgas and Jet A are sold per gallon.

So 6.02 lbs per gallon of avgas = 1135.71 gallons * $6.45/gallon= $7325.35

and 6.79 lbs per gallon of Jet A = 3348.45 gallons * $5.99/gallon= 20057.22

So only $27,382.57 per flight hour. Almost affordable!

drat, thanks for correcting me, I'm so used to the military where the planes are filled by lb.

joat mon posted:

There's one in private hands!
http://goo.gl/maps/LUwyc
(a unique fixer-upper opportunity)

Its missing the most expensive parts: The engines and the wings.

This is what I'd want to do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_B-58_Hustler

That or an F-111

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 30, 2013

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Don't forget how much oil the wasp majors ate. Each engine held 100 gallons of oil and it would easily consume all of it during a full-length flight. So that's 600 gallons of oil and we'll even give it the benefit of the doubt and say that they can run on regular old off-the-shelf rotella at $13 per gallon. $7800 bucks in oil for every flight! And some quick googling seems to indicate that aircraft-grade oil is about double that.

Cedhed
Feb 27, 2006
Whee!

CommieGIR posted:

drat, thanks for correcting me, I'm so used to the military where the planes are filled by lb.

Oh good point. Actually I should correct my correction. I know the airlines talk in pounds a lot as well. They might even buy and have prices in pounds, I'm honestly not sure. So I should probably clarify, those PRICES are for gallons. Good thing too, $5.99 a gallon would yeild $1440 fillups in a 172 instead of the $240 it currently costs :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm pretty sure the FAA and possibly the EPA would poo poo a kitten if you tried to fly a B-36.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm pretty sure the FAA and possibly the EPA would poo poo a kitten if you tried to fly a B-36.

Or a B-58 for that matter, or a F-111B :(

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

CommieGIR posted:

Its missing the most expensive parts: The engines and the wings.

This is what I'd want to do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_B-58_Hustler

That or an F-111

I've seen a B-58 on display at Pima air and space museum. Just sitting there on the ground that thing LOOKS fast. Such a sexy looking plane.

I've read they were notoriously difficult aircraft to fly and something like 1/4 of them were lost to accidents.

Speed:

100% professional photo stitch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

You could go the Bob Lutz route and buy a Soviet equivalent.

Maybe a MiG-27? Just paint lines for an internal bomb bay and add a jet fueled flamethrower on the back. Tell people it shrunk in the wash.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/gm-chief-bob-lutz-flight-2011-12-16