Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Stop pretending like you really know Notch, or this woman. You don't know either.

Now talk about Minecraft. Today, I lost a pretty big house, farm, library that I slaved for, when I fell into a lava pit in the Nether like a loving idiot. Ghast blew the ground from under my feet. I still can't bring myself to play anything except hardcore when I'm in single player. Everything else just seems too dull. Then I'd rather spend my time in creative mode or online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Try mods, especially overhaul mods. Adds a new spice to Minecraft, turning it more into an engine than a game.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

No you see, Notch made a very successful video game that has failed to meet up to some people's expectations, and on top of that he's been a shithead almost every time he opens his mouth. That means he deserves to get his heart broken by a woman who only married him to get at his money because

Because I feel like any moron who couldn't see through her deserves what he gets....Nothing to do with anything he's done or made.....just, you know, he was an idiot to fall for it.

Edit: it's sort of akin to telling someone not to put their hand on a stove because it's hot. Then they do it anyway...do you feel bad for them, not really because you warned them.

EditFakeEdit: Seconding the whole mod comment. They can take this game and turn it on it's head.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 26, 2013

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Do you really know for sure that Notch was PLAYED LIKE A TOOL for his MINECRAFT MONEY by A GOLD DIGGIN HO or is it just an easy way for crazy internet people to read a bunch of disconnected events they have no real information about? There's plenty to laugh at about the subject, not the least of which is how toolishly Notch handled it (if I recall, we only know that he got a divorce in the first place because Notch wanted people to edit his Wikipedia page for him or some bullshit) but all the conjecture around it is pointless.

So I guess there's no ETA on 1.5 yet? I always get kind of interested in Minecraft again every time it updates. It never lasts, but I guess it's something, at least.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Until recently I've focused on multiplayer mostly so I haven't really done any recent modding (as I rent a server and find it a hassle to install and maintain them). So I don't know anything about this, really. What overhaul mods do you goons like the most?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Bolverkur posted:

Until recently I've focused on multiplayer mostly so I haven't really done any recent modding (as I rent a server and find it a hassle to install and maintain them). So I don't know anything about this, really. What overhaul mods do you goons like the most?

You should check out the Minecraft Modding thread to see what catches your eye. There are tons to choose from. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530416

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Bolverkur posted:

Personally, I love Tekkit and Hack/Mine. They both add a lot to the game and setting up a server to play with friends and roleplaying is really fun. I've spent a lot of time setting up shops, mining, building towns et cetera, although Equivalent Exchange is really cheaty and takes the server to the end of the game in a week. I'm not that much into the mod scene either so there's loads others that I haven't checked out so I can't give that good of an insight.

Also, if you're into graphical overhauls, then check out Sonic Ether if you haven't already. If your computer's good enough then Minecraft gets a lot more immersive and, obviously, prettier.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Are anvils a cost-effective way to repair non-enchanted iron tools, or is it a waste of iron? The inital cost of an anvil seems pretty steep.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Are anvils a cost-effective way to repair non-enchanted iron tools, or is it a waste of iron? The inital cost of an anvil seems pretty steep.

With the exception of diamond tools with exceptional enchantments, it's much cheaper to replace the item then to repair it with the anvil.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can use the normal crafting interface to combine unenchanted tools together, but you lose some overall durability doing this. It's good for clearing space if you have a bunch of half-broke poo poo laying around.

The anvil is really only meant for enchanted items.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Onkel Hedwig posted:

If you're like me and enjoy giving your tools stupid names then it's alright. It's still very expensive, 31 ingots makes it the most ingots used in any recipe, but they last a long time and let you add enchanted books which I prefer to the random enchantments.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can use the normal crafting interface to combine unenchanted tools together, but you lose some overall durability doing this. It's good for clearing space if you have a bunch of half-broke poo poo laying around.

The anvil is really only meant for enchanted items.

Are you sure? The wiki says otherwise:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Repair posted:

The repaired item will have usage points equal to the sum of the old items' usage points plus a 'repair bonus' of 10% of the item's maximum uses, up to a limit of the maximum durability for that item.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Are you sure? The wiki says otherwise:

Nope, I'm not sure. I thought it was a lossy process but I guess I was wrong.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is just a general question, but if my account name is, say, smithbob@gmail.com, is smithbob my name in the game? I migrated my Minecraft over to a new account entirely in hopes of using a new name and I really need to be clear on this.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is just a general question, but if my account name is, say, smithbob@gmail.com, is smithbob my name in the game? I migrated my Minecraft over to a new account entirely in hopes of using a new name and I really need to be clear on this.

No, your account name in Minecraft is independent of your email address. Otherwise there would be a ton of "admin" in game or something.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

IUG posted:

No, your account name in Minecraft is independent of your email address. Otherwise there would be a ton of "admin" in game or something.

So how do I make it what I want it to be, then? That's the core concept, I guess, of the problem I'm having.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 28, 2013

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

If you want to change your name you probably have to buy another account.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

If you want to change your name you probably have to buy another account.

Okay, I kinda figured that was it. Mojang's website was being super-weird about my credit card for a while there. :iiam:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They're currently trying to create a new account system, but until then, they wont allow name changes because in-game names and account names are one in the same, and they don't want people to be able to avoid server bans. Basically, they know they need a better system but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Real life minecrafter, before it was cool.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/the-man-who-made-way-for-progress/968751/0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashrath_Manjhi

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I've been messing with Erek's Water Temple map since someone posted it here again a while ago. The map was made before a lot of 'modern' features were implemented, like beds, horizontal logs, and maybe even pistons. Most of the double doors are broken, as are most of the chests.

I've got a local copy of the map and I'm updating it to be playable in modern Minecraft, replacing the "wool blocks" imitation beds with actual beds, fixing chest orientations and double chest, and mending all of the broken double doors. I'm also re-typing the PDFs that Erek included for backstory as actual in-game books. It's a huge project but I'm hoping that it will make the map playable as it once was. I've PMed Erek but he's been absent from the forums for quite a long time.

Here are a few shots of the work in progress.

Malsgrein fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 28, 2013

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Oggumogoggum posted:

I've been messing with Erek's Water Temple map since someone posted it here again a while ago. The map was made before a lot of 'modern' features were implemented, like beds, horizontal logs, and maybe even pistons. Most of the double doors are broken, as are most of the chests.

I've got a local copy of the map and I'm updating it to be playable in modern Minecraft, replacing the "wool blocks" imitation beds with actual beds, fixing chest orientations and double chest, and mending all of the broken double doors. I'm also re-typing the PDFs that Erek included for backstory as actual in-game books. It's a huge project but I'm hoping that it will make the map playable as it once was. I've PMed Erek but he's been absent from the forums for quite a long time.

You directly typing the books or just copy/pasting in ~250 character chunks?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

xanthan posted:

You directly typing the books or just copy/pasting in ~250 character chunks?

Typing. I didn't know you could copy/paste. Can you?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Oggumogoggum posted:

I just checked, and yep! Ctrl V works.

In other news, I've automated the growing and baking of potatoes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mv6NfPAKhU

Now to wait and see if dispensers will be able to plant in the future.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 28, 2013

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Oggumogoggum posted:

Only way to get colored text, text that just looks like random garbage, italics, or bold. Just put a § then K for garbage, l for bold I think, and I believe p for italics. The wiki has more info. Oh and an R after a second to reset it to normal text.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Book_and_Quill

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Oggumogoggum posted:

This is super sweet and I definitely want to explore all this when you're donezo.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Thanks! That gives me some ideas.

Wrist Watch posted:

The food system just really needs to be revamped altogether. When was the last time someone grew melons for food rather than just for potions?

I almost exclusively use melons for food, it's the easiest to set up in a small space and lowest upkeep. No replanting. One button harvesting.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Oggumogoggum posted:

This is incredible. You're awesome!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BitBasher posted:

Thanks! That gives me some ideas.

I almost exclusively use melons for food, it's the easiest to set up in a small space and lowest upkeep. No replanting. One button harvesting.

Yeah, melons all the way. It's potatoes I don't understand. They have a chance to be rotten, so why even bother?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, melons all the way. It's potatoes I don't understand. They have a chance to be rotten, so why even bother?

The chance is really low and I think they restore the most hunger of any growable crop, and you can get really large yields with small fields. edit: The poisonous potato chance is just 2%, that's not nearly high enough to be a factor worth caring about.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The chance is really low and I think they restore the most hunger of any growable crop, and you can get really large yields with small fields. edit: The poisonous potato chance is just 2%, that's not nearly high enough to be a factor worth caring about.

Doesn't the potato only fill half a food 'block', whereas a melon fills 1?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Doesn't the potato only fill half a food 'block', whereas a melon fills 1?

A baked potato fills up 3.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, you can bake them? :psyduck:

What in the gently caress.

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
It's a good thing you can find these things out on your own in game! ... oh wait :v:

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Holy poo poo, you can bake them? :psyduck:

What in the gently caress.

Baked potatoes and carrots are currently the best foods in the game once you get some as they are easy to harvest (just use a water bucket) and don't require setting up a crafting bench to eat. When 1.5 updates, setting up a truly automatic farm system capable of storing items will finally be achievable. Whenever 1.5 comes out of course :negative:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Has anybody tried automated planting yet?

I've only seen bonemeal and harvest. With a absurd number of redstone devices

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

What happens if you push a dirt block with something planted on it?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Roundboy posted:

Has anybody tried automated planting yet?

I've only seen bonemeal and harvest. With a absurd number of redstone devices

I think people are holding off to see if you can plant things with dispensers.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Death Himself posted:

What happens if you push a dirt block with something planted on it?

It breaks whatever is planted there. If the dirt being pushed is under a melon block or pumpkin, they only break if the dirt is pushed up. Tilled farmland stays tilled after being pushed, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If you can plant things from under a block with a dispencer I'll be happy.