Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Tremors posted:

That's more of a space hammer than an axe. :colbert:

The leak mentioned Bioware adding more gamemodes. Clearly the hammer is for the Krogan version of Grifball. :thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
The background to the hammer krogan shot looks like Illium/Goddess to me - so clearly he's the new hazard!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Serpentis posted:

The background to the hammer krogan shot looks like Illium/Goddess to me - so clearly he's the new hazard!

an Angry Krogan running around trying to hammersmash you instead of a swarm of bees would sure make Glacier more interesting, that's for sure.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Maybe the krogan engineer is like a Torchlight 2 engineer that smashes things with a gigantic hammer/wrench.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Maybe the krogan engineer is like a Torchlight 2 engineer that smashes things with a gigantic hammer/wrench.

His hacking animation is the same one as Vega's from the SP campaign.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Serpentis posted:

His blue rose of Illium must be planted in the ground.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
The tears will fall hard if new game modes means you have to pay for the next dlc.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Houdini posted:

The tears will fall hard if new game modes means you have to pay for the next dlc.

At this point I'm not sure I'd mind. 4 free DLC packs and - let's assume this one adds all the potential stuff in the leak - one paid? That's a spectacular record compared to practically any other DLC scheme from any other developer ever. Contrast this to poo poo like Call of Duty's Season Pass where it's $50 prepaid for 4 DLC packs you might not care about? No contest.

also it may be a free MP/paid SP-and-or-co-op split.

but in general, I'm saying I would not necessarily be opposed to paying for one of these packs. It's not like they haven't gone above and beyond compared to anything else on XBL so far.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I've just unlocked a Volus Adept. Considering that my manifest is rather lacking, is there any way I can use him effectively?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Houdini posted:

If its as good as the leak is promising I wont mind paying. Quality and replayability notwithstanding if they really have designed and implemented a new game mode I'd say they deserve some money. I'm sure BSN would lose its collective poo poo though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ephemeron posted:

I've just unlocked a Volus Adept. Considering that my manifest is rather lacking, is there any way I can use him effectively?

No, he's probably the worst of the voluses next to the vanguard, I mainly use him on silver games and just stasis and headshot everything, guess you could use your carnifex for that since you don't have a paladin.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So I just read the last few pages of this thread after not playing the MP for at least six months or so, and god drat. It sounds like it's going to be really intimidating to fire this back up. Anything huge I should know other than new classes/maps? I basically haven't really played since the first MP expansion was released.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Ephemeron posted:

I might suggest something akin to a 5/6/6/5/4 build, where you focus on getting the Power Recharge and Orb Count evos of Biotic Orbs at Ranks 5 & 6, and couple it with Damage & Capacity at Rank 4 of Volus Training. You could then theoretically haul around a Mantis or Carnifex/Arc Pistol and still keep your power recharge rates reasonable enough to use Shield Boost when it's needed and use Stasis to set up battlefield face-ectomies.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

DrNutt posted:

So I just read the last few pages of this thread after not playing the MP for at least six months or so, and god drat. It sounds like it's going to be really intimidating to fire this back up. Anything huge I should know other than new classes/maps? I basically haven't really played since the first MP expansion was released.

-Collectors got added as a new faction
-Geth and Cerberus got buffed with new enemy types made to counter their old weaknesses
-the last update changed Glacier and White so they aren't 24/7 farming like the old days
-there's a new difficulty beyond Gold where you fight three factions at once
-they added a gear slot where you can equip a reusable piece of equipment to go along with consumables
-the last four updates added a fuckton of new stuff to unlock, but there are also new item packs that let you roll for guns or characters with higher odds

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Alteisen posted:

And yes Nomad is the most impressive, to many of those banners boil down to just grinding guns and poo poo.

Now that playing Platinum is no longer required for Nomad, I'm not sure that it's so impressive. Even if you are a totally worthless scrub, you can probably get at least 5 gold waves toward your goal with an even semi-competent team. Case in point, I recently played a game with 2 guys who were totally worthless. They wouldn't even help with objectives on objective waves. They just found some terrible place to camp and die every wave. Me and the other guy basically 2 manned it and those chucklefucks got 10 Gold waves toward Nomad.

So, Nomad is basically just a grind like almost every other Challenge now. At least Lone Wolf requires you to have enough basic skills to solo Gold twice, even if it is just cheesing Kroguard against Geth.

Moose12
Dec 8, 2007

shit YEAH
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=Sas0ri%20Sting&platform=xbox 1242 Hrs played. I just don't even have words.

edit: proper link

Moose12 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 28, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Alteisen posted:

No, he's probably the worst of the voluses next to the vanguard, I mainly use him on silver games and just stasis and headshot everything, guess you could use your carnifex for that since you don't have a paladin.

Shut your whore mouth, the Vanguard is awesome and if you spec him correctly he'll have almost zero cooldown on charge.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
So I just came across this guy who was using some kind of instakill hack. It was pretty funny watching Atlases bunching up and being mown down by an Avenger, but also really sad that he was taken down on almost every wave and didn't make extraction.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ephemeron posted:

Level him up enough to be able to Shield Boost as quickly as possible and pocket-medic the best (or worst) guy in Gold/Plat matches until your manifest isn't lacking :getin:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Something happened to my Volus Adept. After I got a character training for him I somehow had enough points to get 6 in every stat with 12 points left over.

After looking at him again it now says I have -33 points and I'm still maxed out with him. He's the only character that it happened to. Has anyone else had this happen?

He truly is a biotic god now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

1st AD posted:

Shut your whore mouth, the Vanguard is awesome and if you spec him correctly he'll have almost zero cooldown on charge.

And?

Every vanguard has a power they can at least fall back on, the volguard has jack poo poo, not to mention BioWare's patented will you or won't your charge technology.

quote:

Something happened to my Volus Adept. After I got a character training for him I somehow had enough points to get 6 in every stat with 12 points left over.

After looking at him again it now says I have -33 points and I'm still maxed out with him. He's the only character that it happened to. Has anyone else had this happen?

Yea that's a common bug. Either respec or don't use him cause you might get banned even if its not your fault.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Smelly posted:

What Alteisen said and also to get rid of the error it the future. Simply go to the change/select character screen and pick any character and it should fix the glitch to have its actual point count. It's possible you can get banned for it but basically just don't abuse the system and Bioware shouldn't have any reason to ban you over the minor edit.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

jpmeyer posted:

I usually view it as:

1) Best of the Best (since it includes everything)
2/3) Nomad and Lone Wolf (since both require you to play gold)
4) Dog of War (since it requires you to know how to grab)

And then nothing else means anything.

The only banners that are indicative of skill level are halloween challenge or hero of the last days indicative of sucking. Every other banner is just earned by grinding (or cheesing, for lone wolf).

If someone uses SMG mastery though it means they're probably funny and know enough about the game mechanics to kill stuff with lovely weapons, though it is trivial to grind it out on solo bronze.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Level him up enough to be able to Shield Boost as quickly as possible and pocket-medic the best (or worst) guy in Gold/Plat matches until your manifest isn't lacking :getin:

:aaaaa:

I should try that with my Volus Mercenary, I have no idea what else to do with him.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Volus Adept is your biotic support man. While not quite as ~super awesome~ as the recon mine volus, basically you:
  • shield-boost your team a lot
  • stasis priority targets (i.e. Phantoms) so your teammates shoot them
  • use orbs as a debuff on bosses/biotic detonator if you have to and then recast them asap so you can go back to shield boosting your team a lot again

extra credit if you make terrible jokes about your balls on voice chat every time you cast an orb at something.

I had a biotic (i.e. orbs working for recharge) volus teammate shield boosting me when I was playing an N7 Slayer on gold. I was busy shooting the poo poo out of a Geth prime and didn't notice the two hunters to my rear trying to shoot me. Hey, they didn't stagger me and my shields kept getting topped off every second or whatever, they can drat well wait until I finish obliterating the prime with Phase Disruptor before I turn around, notice them, and then destroy them with PD.

There's something to be said for ridiculously low cooldown, is what I'm saying here, and orbs provide.

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 29, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any benefit to slapping the armor piercing mod along with the more damage sniper barrel on a black widow?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Well, you still get the X% reduction in armour mitigation with your shots added on irrespective of a gun's innate materiel-piercing, so it'll be much better at killing those targets (it helps a great deal with Banshees and Atlases to slap a piercing mod on a Widow just for the sudden jump in damage IMO). I'm fairly sure in the case of the AM rifles the piercing mods also boost how much solid material the shot penetrates, so it can be pretty handy for getting people out from behind full cover.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fully modded for AP, your sniper rifles will shoot through 10-foot thick walls. Very nice with Drell/Geth Infiltrators.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Serpentis posted:

Well, you still get the X% reduction in armour mitigation with your shots added on irrespective of a gun's innate materiel-piercing, so it'll be much better at killing those targets (it helps a great deal with Banshees and Atlases to slap a piercing mod on a Widow just for the sudden jump in damage IMO). I'm fairly sure in the case of the AM rifles the piercing mods also boost how much solid material the shot penetrates, so it can be pretty handy for getting people out from behind full cover.

Piercing mod will only add like 37.5 damage per shot on Gold. With a single shot Widow that is hitting for several hundred you won't really see an appreciable difference.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
The damage is less important than being able to shoot through walls because :sicknasty:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Semisponge posted:

The damage is less important than being able to shoot through walls because :sicknasty:

Also killing multiple enemies with one shot.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Apologies to the goon I was playing with for that complete breakdown at wave 10. :( Not sure why my friends decided to go with lower level characters.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So I just unlocked the Quarian Marksman and I want to give it a shot, even if it sucks (looks like a support Soldier?). Any good builds or strategies would be great help because I feel a little lost looking at the powers list.

e: Since my weapons are still kinda crappy, am I better off buying the arsenal packs or the veteran packs?

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 29, 2013

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Quarian is basically the Turian Soldier with a shorter cooldown debuff and less survivability in exchange for a dodge.

I would skip Sabotage entirely. http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Soldier/QuarianMarksman/QMANR//////

The last rank of TacScan is up to your own discretion.

Arsenal packs are the way to go for non-UR weapons.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I've set mine up like this. The QM isn't really a good class. Unlike the TSol, you don't have any stability bonuses, so the recoil from weapons like the Hurricane is really hard to handle. The big thing you do have is the ability to dodge, and personally I think area tac scan is pretty nifty.

In any case, sabotage has way too long a cooldown to be worth taking, which actually gives you some freedom to take a heavier weapon. Both Marksman and Tac Scan have really short cooldowns, even if you decide to load yourself down. I like the Saber for this, mostly for the large clip size and ammo reserve. Additionally, it's pinpoint accurate both while in cover, or while running around with marksman active.

Alternatively, you could use the standard set of weapons that get a lot better with accuracy bonuses: Raider, Piranha, Talon, or Revenant.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

exquisite tea posted:

Wow, is that new concept art for the upcoming DLC? Please let there be space battleaxes.

Those both look like in-game shots.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Psion posted:

Volus Adept is your biotic support man. While not quite as ~super awesome~ as the recon mine volus, basically you:
  • shield-boost your team a lot
  • stasis priority targets (i.e. Phantoms) so your teammates shoot them
  • use orbs as a debuff on bosses/biotic detonator if you have to and then recast them asap so you can go back to shield boosting your team a lot again

Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a try.

(BSN thoughts on the subject were rather unhelpful, running along the lines of "the only good thing about biotic orbs is that they let me get away with carrying a Harrier X". Gee, thanks)

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 29, 2013

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I rather enjoy the Protector over the Adept, since Charge gives you some silly mobility for zipping about the map, staggering things as you Shield Boost your teammates. It's somewhere between the Shield Boost Jockey Boring Time, and Fun Teleport Man Time. Slap a Tempest with a stability mod and a Disciple on him and he's a staggering force of nature who will never let his teammates die. Something like Disruptor Ammo will double his stagger ability, since it will proc all the time on the Tempest. I'm sure the Hurricane is better with that build, but sadly, it's the only promo UR that I don't have yet.

EDIT: Though, I will say that the way I have him specced (nothing in Fitness), one mistake and you're hosed. Might be better to do an either-or on the weapon, and go 6/6/6/5/3 or 6/6/6/4/4.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Vanguard/VolusProtector/PRNJD/Tempest10BC5AW5/Acolyte10BA5AJ5///StructuralErgonomics5/

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 29, 2013

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Dilb posted:

The QM isn't really a good class. Unlike the TSol, you don't have any stability bonuses, so the recoil from weapons like the Hurricane is really hard to handle. The big thing you do have is the ability to dodge, and personally I think area tac scan is pretty nifty.

One handy thing to think about with regards to weapon selection with the Quarian Marksman (or any class that's not a Turian) is that the assault rifle stability mod (-70%) plus either a level 3 stability consumable or Barrage Gear V (each -30%) will completely remove recoil, allowing for high ROF shenanigans. This also works with SMGs, most notably the Hurricane; the Hurricane is one of the highest DPS choices for Marksman. The Argus is another good candidate for the stability / Marksman combo.

Also, for anyone looking to grind out grabs and / or Guardian points for Cerberus Mastery, I got into a good groove on Firebase Reactor Hazard using a Kroguard with a scoped Talon. For Guardians, there's two choices, going to Wave 6 on Silver for 15000 credits and about 30000 Guardian points in ~20 minutes, or doing through Wave 3 on Gold for 12000 points and 11000 credits in 10 minutes, (about 8 minutes if you skip Wave 3). You can abuse the Guardian conga line respawning in the three areas near the LZ (lower area by ammo box and cylinder towers, up top closest to the LZ by the crate, and down the hall from the LZ in that nook) by sniping them from afar, they'll keep coming for a while from the same spot if you're far enough away.

For grabs, the giant kinked pipe between front of the LZ and the reactor has a huge tolerance for the grab sweet spot, and enemies will congregate around it as you grab their buddies, letting you vault to the other side and grab another several guys in one go. It's not hard to get fifteen to twenty in one Guardian farming run, most of which from Wave 1 or so. It's easy to kite enemies to that giant pipe by either running into the reactor or towards the LZ, depending on where the crowd is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

Furnaceface posted:

So I just unlocked the Quarian Marksman and I want to give it a shot, even if it sucks (looks like a support Soldier?). Any good builds or strategies would be great help because I feel a little lost looking at the powers list.

Honestly, he's just not that great. I wanted to love him so much but he really doesn't have much going for him. Dodging is fine, but if something like a Dragoon gets in your face you're basically hosed since his health isn't that great and your only recourse is shooting your way out since none of your powers can save your rear end. As far as 'shoot things in the head until they die' playstyles go, the turian soldier is just better in every way but dodging. I put an Indra on him and tried to play him as a sniper but again, anytime something got close to me I was doomed.

The quarians are my favorite race so I'm holding out for the QME and QMI :(

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 29, 2013

• Locked thread