Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LiquidRain posted:

Do you happen to still have the URL you used to sign up? $25 codes are usually referrals. (you get $25, person who referred you gets $25) If the code you got says on the website you were supposed to get $50, and you only got $25, call customer support and tell them. Ask them to escalate the issue and it'll get to development for testing, and if they don't give you a $25 credit on the spot to top you up to a $50 credit, tell me and I'll walk up there and give 'em a scolding.

Port in to Ting whenever you like, order whatever phones whenever you like, and do it in whatever order you feel like. Your billing date is for your entire account and won't change as you add more phones.

I got the coupon code from your post here on 1/9 :P

LiquidRain posted:

edit: follow this link for $50 off a device or $50 service credit. :) I wish I had a special goon coupon I could hand out. That'd be neat. (though it'd have the same $50 effect) That's just a generic one that points back to us as the source, rather than an advertising partner.

The lady on the phone said she would get me the other 25 after she got authorization. Sounds like everything is going swell.

I will begin ordering the other phones whenever I like! Thanks Ting guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Long Francesco posted:

It really depends on what carrier you're on and your budget, but you'd probably be happy with any high end popular phone from the last generation or the current one if you can swing the bucks for it. The sgs2 is still a great phone for most things and there's the nexus phones if you want to sperg out about software. And people seem to be happy with the razr and it's variants if you're looking Verizon.

It's just really not worth saving what's relatively not all that much on a new low end phone when spending a little more can save you from suffering in crap phone hell.

For a low end phone you really can't beat the nexus s

At around $100 you're lucky to get a mediocre phone running gingerbread used let alone a phone that's pretty stable with great battery life that also runs 4.1. It's low end but it's actually usable.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Herr Tog posted:

I got the coupon code from your post here on 1/9 :P

The lady on the phone said she would get me the other 25 after she got authorization. Sounds like everything is going swell.

I will begin ordering the other phones whenever I like! Thanks Ting guy.
I thought that was the code I gave you, and that's strange. Looks like that promo code got bumped down to a $25 reduction instead of $50. I swear it was $50 when I checked it for you. :( Well if they don't give you the extra $25 I'll try my best to fix the situation from my end and ask if the reduction was recent and on purpose.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 25, 2013

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I totally for the $25! Thanks man! I also ordered another phone and may order another tonight! You guys rock and I am telling everyone about you.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Anyone have much experience with using an iPhone with the new T-Mobile 1900mhz rollout?

According to a t-mobile press release, our city supposedly has been switched over to 1900Mhz. My wife's iPhone (testing out t-mobile prepaid), on the other hand, thinks differently. In certain locations it will get great 3G service (10mbit+ download), but it most places it just sits on EDGE. Strangely, at home it is usually on EDGE, but will randomly jump to 3G, generally after making/receiving a call. Are there APN settings I need to use to force it to go on 3G? Or does T-mobile just not have their poo poo together yet?

Seems like they've got a ways to go if they're really going to attempt an iPhone launch this year.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tonic posted:

Anyone have much experience with using an iPhone with the new T-Mobile 1900mhz rollout?

According to a t-mobile press release, our city supposedly has been switched over to 1900Mhz. My wife's iPhone (testing out t-mobile prepaid), on the other hand, thinks differently. In certain locations it will get great 3G service (10mbit+ download), but it most places it just sits on EDGE. Strangely, at home it is usually on EDGE, but will randomly jump to 3G, generally after making/receiving a call. Are there APN settings I need to use to force it to go on 3G? Or does T-mobile just not have their poo poo together yet?

Seems like they've got a ways to go if they're really going to attempt an iPhone launch this year.

Not sure where you are at, but I just recently took my iPhone 5 from AT&T to the $30 prepaid plan here in Ann Arbor, MI (and other Detroit suburbs). I've found that in the 30 miles surrounding Detroit I've had pretty good 3G service, albeit a bit unpredictable. Where I live (just outside the 30 miles) I'm on Edge at my house, but at my neighbors I'm on 3G. It's rolling out, just slowly I think. At least I hope they didn't stop 15 feet from my house. In Ann Arbor, I'm on Edge except in a few spots, and the drive through the country to get to my house drops all the way down to GPRS. I'm hitting a lot of different locations and didn't expect 3G everywhere when I signed up, but I am looking forward to a wider net of iPhone 3G broken out.

I should note that the T-mobile EDGE is faster than the AT&T EDGE. Pandora works just fine on it.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

tonic posted:

I'm getting my X-sim (which supposedly lets me use a tmo sim in a sprint 4s) today. My area is supposed to be part of the 1900MHz HSPA+ rollout, so we'll see. I'll be happy to be able to make calls without an airrave at home (though I am growing to hate my 4s more and more).

E: or would have been able to try today if any of the tmo store employees had had a brain cell and not tried to force me to sign up for the 50$ plan instead of just giving me a sim card.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 26, 2013

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So with Verizon's latest debacle with re-locking the Galaxy Note 2's bootloader I am confident I'm leaving them once my contract is up and going with Straight Talk or T-Mobile. Looking at unlocked phones, anyone ever buy anything made by Huawei? I see them mentioned all the time on sites like Engadget but I haven't heard much. Looking at their prices for unlocked phones seems very reasonable for the specs. Perhaps I'll crosspost this in the phone thread as well.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

tonic posted:

I'm experiencing the same thing on my iPhone; EDGE at home, and 3G works seemingly at random. Sometimes it's 3G in some places and sometimes it isn't. I'm not sure what that means.

e: I'm in Austin, TX

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

tonic posted:

You're definitely not the only one. I've got an iPhone 5 in the DC area. When I've got 3G it's fantastic, but it seems every other tower doesn't have it in the area.

I think when you notice the fluctuation between 3G and edge at home, that's your phone bouncing between a tower that is closer to you with edge and one slightly further away with 3G, but can't hold onto the 3G one.

I also experience pretty bad handoffs between 3G and edge (periods of no data for 5-10+ seconds) which are pretty bad. My best guess is the 1900 MHz cities that are "launched" really aren't done, we'll see as LTE starts deploying when poo poo gets done.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ugh I really hate navigating websites for phone companies. I get the impression T-Mobile wants me to go to one of their stores so they can try and talk me into buying something more expensive instead of allowing me to get the plan/phone I want online. Why can't I just select plan > buy phone > checkout?

I just want to get the $100 pay as you go plan which includes 1000 minutes and 365 days of service. I don't have to go to a T-mobile store to get this do I?

Or do I just need to find a T-mobile phone with sim that I can activate/refill?

edit: Ahhh OK:

https://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/ActivateCodes.aspx

Looks like I have to get the phone/sim first and then activate online.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 26, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

3 days into the billing cycle and I've almost hit 700 megs of roaming data :v: Sprint may hustle me out before the month is through.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
Does anyone know if the iPhone 5 that Straight Talk offers through Walmart does LTE? I'm already on Straight Talk with an iPhone 4 and want to upgrade, but from what I've read it seems like it would just be easier to get an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple and cut down my old SIM (I know the Straight Talk iPhone 5 is on Verizon so that wouldn't be an option if I went that route). Suggestions?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Does anyone know if the iPhone 5 that Straight Talk offers through Walmart does LTE? I'm already on Straight Talk with an iPhone 4 and want to upgrade, but from what I've read it seems like it would just be easier to get an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple and cut down my old SIM (I know the Straight Talk iPhone 5 is on Verizon so that wouldn't be an option if I went that route). Suggestions?

I recall someone here saying that the Straight Talk iPhone 5 doesn't have LTE.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Straight talk iPhone doesn't do LTE (on ST at least). Probably just as well off buying an iPhone directly from Apple and cutting your card.

If you buy from Apple the at&t or Verizon version are both okay. Both have unlocked SIM slots for 3G, whichever you get just depends who you might wanna go with in the future of you decide to get LTE

SB35 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 27, 2013

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

I don't think there's any MVNO that does LTE no matter which phone you have.

e: Looks like I misread the question.

VVVVV You're right. Disregard!

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 27, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Newsman posted:

I don't think there's any MVNO that does LTE no matter which phone you have.

e: Looks like I misread the question.

Fairly sure Ting does.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Correct, we have LTE wherever Sprint does. :) We were the first MVNO on any carrier to do that. (and our prices remain the same on LTE, though with how much data costs for us, that's not saying much :( )

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cricket Wireless has LTE as well.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So LTE capable phones (eg iPhone 5) on T-mobile prepaid won't get LTE access once the T-Mobile rollout begins?

It looks like 1 of the 4 main towers in my town was upgraded to 1900Mhz, while the other 3 I've seen are 3G (I get full HSPA+ on an Android phone with them), but not switched over to the 1900Mhz band. I wonder if they even plan on switching all of their towers to 1900 or if they are just going to wait for LTE to rollout.

Seems like there will be some pretty disappointed iPhone customers when they find out their phones are on EDGE 1/2 the time. Or maybe they won't be offering the iPhone at all until they make LTE happen.

tonic fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 28, 2013

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

tonic posted:

So LTE capable phones (eg iPhone 5) on T-mobile prepaid won't get LTE access once the T-Mobile rollout begins?

It looks like 1 of the 4 main towers in my town was upgraded to 1900Mhz, while the other 3 I've seen are 3G (I get full HSPA+ on an Android phone with them), but not switched over to the 1900Mhz band. I wonder if they even plan on switching all of their towers to 1900 or if they are just going to wait for LTE to rollout.

Seems like there will be some pretty disappointed iPhone customers when they find out their phones are on EDGE 1/2 the time. Or maybe they won't be offering the iPhone at all until they make LTE happen.

I don't think T-mobile has made their LTE plans clear yet. AT&T and Verizon don't share their LTE networks with prepaid users, but Sprint has opted to let Ting have access to theirs. It's likely that T-mobile will let their prepaid users use their LTE network but impossible to know for sure until they light up the LTE networks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My iPhone 4 contract should expire this summer. I want to unlock and put that $30 T-Mobile plan (unlimited data/text, 100 minutes talk) on it. Do I just buy the micro SIM card from their website and select this plan during the activation process? Does this go pretty smoothly?

Also I assume the 100 minutes of talk doesn't apply to nights/weekends?

I'm so tired of paying AT&T $60/month.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

actionjackson posted:

My iPhone 4 contract should expire this summer. I want to unlock and put that $30 T-Mobile plan (unlimited data/text, 100 minutes talk) on it. Do I just buy the micro SIM card from their website and select this plan during the activation process? Does this go pretty smoothly?

Also I assume the 100 minutes of talk doesn't apply to nights/weekends?

I'm so tired of paying AT&T $60/month.

You have to get AT&T to unlock your phone but that's pretty much it and it's smooth. Also, make sure you live in an area that will give your iPhone 3G.

There are no nights/weekend minutes on prepaid. You get 100 minutes a month to do as you please to call anytime. I think most of us have some other means to call people (Obihai, Skype, Ooma, other VOIP solution).

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

CampingCarl: I work for Ting (until the end of next week anyway) so let me know if there's anything I can do to ease your transition. I can also toss you a $50 coupon off your first device if you'd like. :)
Just a couple more quick questions about switching.
What sort of coverage do I need to activate the phones once I get them? Because my house is in a deadzone of sorts, can I do it through wifi if I don't have a good enough signal?
As I understand it there really isn't a way to transfer our current Tmobile numbers without an ETF(need to double check exactly) so if I want to try for the Ting ETF promotion I shouldn't activate them until after the 1st or can I activate them now then transfer the number later?

I would like a $50 coupon, thanks. :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

CampingCarl posted:

Just a couple more quick questions about switching.
What sort of coverage do I need to activate the phones once I get them? Because my house is in a deadzone of sorts, can I do it through wifi if I don't have a good enough signal?
As I understand it there really isn't a way to transfer our current Tmobile numbers without an ETF(need to double check exactly) so if I want to try for the Ting ETF promotion I shouldn't activate them until after the 1st or can I activate them now then transfer the number later?

I would like a $50 coupon, thanks. :)
Turns out the $50 coupon got reduced to $25... actually looks like every single $50 coupon code I can find is reduced to $25. I'll try to pry tomorrow to see what happened there.

I believe you will need cell service on Sprint to activate (no roaming please), and you will need to wait until after the 1st to port your number/activate to be eligible for the ETF fund. I'm also leaving my job there this Thursday, so I won't be able to provide goon support, you'll have to call in like a pleb. :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gariig posted:

You have to get AT&T to unlock your phone but that's pretty much it and it's smooth. Also, make sure you live in an area that will give your iPhone 3G.

There are no nights/weekend minutes on prepaid. You get 100 minutes a month to do as you please to call anytime. I think most of us have some other means to call people (Obihai, Skype, Ooma, other VOIP solution).

So it does count towards my limit on nights/weekends? That's too bad. It doesn't with my current plan as far as I know.

edit: then again I rarely use data, so maybe the one with 30MB would be better.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 29, 2013

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
A minute is a minute is a minute.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

actionjackson posted:

So it does count towards my limit on nights/weekends? That's too bad. It doesn't with my current plan as far as I know.

It's 100 minutes, period. There's no such thing as free nights and weekends on prepaid.

That's part of the reason that plan is recommended for folks that use Google Voice or another VoIP solution.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay. I checked my AT&T account, it says that I'm not currently under any contract. I got my first one in 2009, but got the iPhone 4 in summer 2010. Does that mean that my contract did not renew when I upgraded my phone? If so I should switch to T-Mobile ASAP.

And just to clarify, if I do want to do that I just order the micro-SIM card from their website and that's it?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
How many minutes do you normally use?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Most I've used in a month is 400. Not sure if that includes nights/weekends or not, but it probably does. I usually use about 40 MB of data, so if I can cut that down a bit I could get the 30 MB data plan with 1500 talk/text.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
If you can keep it under 30mb that would probably be your best bet, but just syncing email and other background stuff can use a lot. Be aware the 100min 5gig plan is only for new customers so you couldn't switch to it if you find you do want to use it.

You also might want to check out straight talk I think their plan fits your usage best.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well it's a lot easier for me to control my data usage than my phone usage. Also it looks like straight talk doesn't support Apple voicemail which I like and is more expensive at 45/month. If there was a plan that was mixed data and voice that would be the best, I don't care about texting at all.

What happens if you go over your data cap with T-mobile?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
With the 30mb plan I'm pretty sure they just cut you off, the other 4G plans you get throttled to like 80kbps.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are you cutoff if you go over on voice minutes as well? I'm just trying to figure out if one is less penalized than the other. I suppose if I got the limited voice plan instead I could use alternatives, like texting since that would be unlimited or email more often.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Minutes are 10c after you go over, I have the $30 plan and just keep a few bucks on my account for when I need them.

Even if you regularly go over even a good bit it's still cheaper than pretty much any other plan.

Before switching to tmo I used like 400 or so a month and it's not hard to cut it down. I didn't like the problems I found with porting my number to Google voice to use voip with my real number, but I have a separate gv number I use for voip to call companies and ordering food, and that helps a lot to use less minutes.

Long Francesco fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 29, 2013

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alright, I'll probably do that one then. I don't even need to call as much as I do, and I can make some from work anyway. I assume if I set up autopay will they just bill extra minutes to that?

Last question would be when I switch, will T-Mobile end my account with AT&T or do I have to do it myself, and if so when should I do that?

Thanks!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Last question would be when I switch, will T-Mobile end my account with AT&T or do I have to do it myself, and if so when should I do that?

If you're concerned with keeping your number then activate service with your new provider and have them port your number over, which will automagically cancel service on your current/previous provider. If you were to cancel it yourself you run the high risk of losing your number to the abyss.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

actionjackson posted:

Alright, I'll probably do that one then. I don't even need to call as much as I do, and I can make some from work anyway. I assume if I set up autopay will they just bill extra minutes to that?

Thanks!

If you go over you draw money from your account balance, just keep a few bucks in there for when you need them. It will cut you off if there is no balance because it is prepaid.

Don't do anything with your att account. I'm not sure if it has changed but there was no option to just set up the port online for prepaid. You will have to get your sim and activate a new line, and have a temp number. Then call and have them do the port over the phone.

Long Francesco fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Long Francesco posted:

If you go over you draw money from your account balance, just keep a few bucks in there for when you need them. It will cut you off if there is no balance because it is prepaid.

Don't do anything with your att account. I'm not sure if it has changed but there was no option to just set up the port online for prepaid. You will have to get your sim and activate a new line, and have a temp number. Then call and have them do the port over the phone.

I just ported AT&T to T-Mobile last week and did everything online. They ask you at some point in the process if you'd like to port, just click yes and put in your phone AT&T account number. About three hours after that my AT&T phone suddenly displayed "SIM not provisioned" and that was that.

• Locked thread