Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

powderific posted:

As long as you check up on stuff like insurance and parking, having two vehicles is totally doable and not that crazy a thing to do. I had both a turbo Miata and a Jeep Cherokee for a few years and I'm not even remotely wealthy, only somewhat mechanically inclined, and don't have a garage. It was great. Only cost me about $20 more a year to insure both. For a variety of reasons I downsized to one vehicle, but I'm working towards having a sporty project for a second car in the next few years.
poo poo, just $20 for an additional car :mad:

An RX-7 is a bit of a :can: in terms of maintenance due to the (awesome) rotary engine, but otherwise this is very possible, not to mention pleasurable :getin:. People look at me like I'm nuts for having two >10 year old cars (and admittedly that's very unusual here, as many people don't have even one car), but my Miata costs me an extra $200/year for insurance and it's totally worth it. Overall maintenance spending shouldn't go up too much, as you'd be driving each car less, and when one car shits itself, you can take your time tracking down junkyard parts and fixing it yourself rather than immediately running to the stealership because you need it to go to work tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's not quite the same as having two cars, but I do have a car and a motorcycle. It's great and really not all that expensive. Since I split my annual miles between them I can drop my car insurance to the "low usage" tier (less than 7500 mi/yr) which saves me a few hundred bucks a year and basically pays for the annual motorcycle insurance. And I can fit both in my one space in my apartment's underground garage, which is important since I live in the middle of the city with limited and heavily monitored street parking. Plus if one breaks down I'm not dependent on getting it fixed ASAP - which is usually how you get boned on repair costs.

If I had a place to park and work on a second car, I absolutely would pick up an older beater small truck or SUVs as a utility/outdoors/camping vehicle. If you can do the basic maintenance yourself (hint: anybody can, it's easy) it's not a very big expense and the limited miles as a second vehicle is cheap to insure.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah, I'd be looking to have one vehicle to haul camping gear and people on roadtrips, moving stuff, carrying bicycles, etc, with a sporty 2-seater for driving about town or zipping about on roads in the country.

All the posts have been more encouraging than I expected--and I hadn't though about how the reduced usage would preclude insurance costs from going up a lot, but of course it makes sense that it would.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
What is the deal with cars sold at auction? I've just now seen a car that has a clean carfax report but it says the car was sold at auction. It also says that "millions of used cars are sold at auction every year". I don't know if that is a bad thing or nothing. Maybe the car was repo'd? Although there doesn't seem to be any lien events.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MickeyFinn posted:

What is the deal with cars sold at auction? I've just now seen a car that has a clean carfax report but it says the car was sold at auction. It also says that "millions of used cars are sold at auction every year". I don't know if that is a bad thing or nothing. Maybe the car was repo'd? Although there doesn't seem to be any lien events.

All it generally means is a dealer took a car in on trade or off lease and didn't want to try to sell it. Million reasons, few of them worth worrying about.

Bootloafus
Apr 5, 2009

giblet gravy
I've been driving a 2001 Grand-Am SE for 10 years and now that I'm pushing 200k miles things are starting to go wrong enough regularly enough that I'm about to start the process of getting a new (used) vehicle. I'm mostly a doofus when it comes to cars and haven't gone through the process since I was 17 and had my parents helping me shop. I've been able to keep my grand-am rolling strong though and I'm looking to get into something that I can get a similar life cycle out of.

Budget: 8k-10k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Four-door small sedan.
How will you be using the car?: Primarily a short commute to work and somewhat frequent trips out to Colorado for snowboarding.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability/cost of ownership before fuel economy before room.

The leaders right now at the earliest stages of my search are a 2009 or later Focus or the Mazda3. I haven't done any test driving yet, but I'm 6'7" and so that might be a factor in these cars, but I don't know. I've been browsing this thread on and off for months so these cars might be covered frequently, sorry if I missed some. Anything I should know?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Apollodorus posted:

This is more of a general BFC question and less of a specific vehicle question. How does one approach the prospect of owning two cars? Or assuming a family, more than one car per driver? I ask because I literally cannot think of a single person I know who has more than one vehicle, yet I get the sense that one does not need to be a millionaire to own, let's say, a practical station wagon to drive during the week and a sports car on the weekends.

I look around on Craigslist, eBay, cars.com, Autotrader, local dealerships, etc. and see plenty of cars like the RX-7 or MR2 available at reasonable prices, no more than a Matrix or Fit. With a good knowledge of amateur auto maintenance (something I'm working on, and will continue to work on if I end up somewhere where I need to keep driving as much as I do here in north FL), a reliable and honest mechanic, and safe driving habits, the prospect of owning a sporty yet tiny and impractical car as well as a boring yet capacious and efficient vehicle seems fairly affordable.

But is it? What sort of things would someone need to know before considering a second vehicle? Is a house with driveway and garage necessary, or could a person who lives somewhere with street parking pull it off?

Lots of folks have more than 1 car. In my experience one of them is a 'beater' of some sort that addresses a certain need, while the other is the nicer vehicle that gets treated better. Some folks have beaters that are old pickup trucks, others have commuter cars where they don't care how many miles get put on them. Some (like AI posters) want an impractical fun to drive car like a Miata to mess around with on the weekends. A cousin of mine works at a dirty rear end chemical plant so he has an old car he just uses to drive to and from work. He doesn't give 2 shits about it, it's cheap to fix and gets good gas mileage. He doesn't have to worry about getting poo poo from the plant all over his newer truck. It's just a beater that fits his needs.

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004
Proposed Budget: $3,000-$5,000
New or Used: used, monthly payments make me itchy
Body Style: see: aspects
How will you be using the car?: ~30 mile commute daily on highway, don't really drive on weekends, space is not an issue so much (other than me being around 6'
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG, Cost, I think in that order, something a bit sporty wouldn't hurt

I currently have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee (220k miles) that I think is going to give up the ghost soon. It's not a particularly pretty car, it has some cosmetic damage from an accident a few months ago, and already has a couple of off color parts and I think has started leaking oil like a sieve. Probably needs new tires, a complete tune up, and maybe various other tweaks.

It wouldn't take me too long to build up a bigger budget, but thats what I have currently.

Mostly just trying to get some feedback on what I should keep my eyes out for on CL/Auto Traders.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ryven posted:

Proposed Budget: $3,000-$5,000
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG, Cost, I think in that order, something a bit sporty wouldn't hurt
It wouldn't take me too long to build up a bigger budget, but thats what I have currently.

Since reliability is your first priority, I think you'd do very well to save up even a little bit more money. Cars in the sub-$5k range are going to be quite significantly older (or higher miles) than those in the ~$5k to $8k category, in most parts of the country. And cars that get good commute mileage tend to carry a small premium over the gas-guzzling variety.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
Proposed Budget: $5000 - $8000
Body Style: Compact to Midsize. Hatchback/coupe/sedan doesn't bother me.
How will you be using the car?: Just a standard commuter car. Work is about 30 miles round trip. I would say I put a total of 800-900 miles on per month.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability is the biggest factor. MPG is important as well, but i'm assuming most compact to midsize get decent mpg. I typically like import designs better. Especially from the mid '90s to mid '00s. Manual transmission is a must. As is front wheel drive due to winters here in Michigan.

I currently have a 1995 Toyota Celica(140k miles). Rust is starting to become a problem and maintenance cost is becoming a burden. I paid $2000 for it and I have put about $1500 into it. It runs great but aesthetically, I am starting to get quite frustrated with it. On top of the rust, I was recently a victim of a hit and run in a parking lot. Leaving a huge dent on the passenger side. It definitely isn't worth getting it fixed cosmetically.

Leaders right now via auto trader are a 2003 Toyota Celica GT($5850) and a 2005 Honda Accord EX ($7837). I have heard conflicting reports on reliability on both cars via google search, though.

Sypher fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 28, 2013

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Since reliability is your first priority, I think you'd do very well to save up even a little bit more money. Cars in the sub-$5k range are going to be quite significantly older (or higher miles) than those in the ~$5k to $8k category, in most parts of the country. And cars that get good commute mileage tend to carry a small premium over the gas-guzzling variety.

Cars would be probably a little cheaper where I live (central texas), but it shouldn't take me too long to get up to that bracket.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Proposed Budget: 4k to 6k
Body Style: Coupe or Sedan is fine. No trucks or SUVs. Also, I don't like huge sedans.
How will you be using the car?: Well, I plan on driving the drat thing. :v: It's gonna be an everyday car, with a possible chance of road trips and super long commutes.
What aspects are most important to you? I want something sporty looking, but not an actual sportscar. MPG is a gigantic factor, but I'm fine with ~20 in town. I want sleek, sexy, fun to drive, but nothing that will get me into trouble with either the law or carphiliacs. Also, I don't know how to drive a stick, but I'm willing to learn. v:v:v

I'm kind of at desperate straits: I blew my first given car to me (Oil Pump went out, didn't take long for the thing to die, found out what I did after the thing went out), which was a KIA '01 Spectra. Hated the thing. Despised would probably be a better word. I don't want another KIA, newer models being better or what not. Cheap Korean cars that think they are Toyotas. I'm currently driving a '91 Chevvy(?) Topaz with 360k miles on it. :gonk: It's a bad ride with a terrible starter.

I've currently driven:
•Riced out Honda Civic 02(?), which was really fun, but it had too many miles on it. Dealer said I was one of his better automatic drivers, so yay compliments.
•Well taken care of Poniac Firebird 01~03(?), it had a lot of get up and go, fun to drive, everything in it felt very responsive.
•Well taken care of Mitsubishi Eclipse 03, can't tell if GS or RS model, seems to be a GS (power windows, spoiler, same color as body door handles... all I saw that made it GS like). Good ride, everything was fairly responsive. Seat ran high, so some of my vision was on the dash/visor. Also, had a strange view range, too.
•A terribly taken care of Mustang 99 :gonk: It didn't take me long to drive that sucker back. Drove like poo poo, the last owner clearly didn't care for his investment.

I'm looking at that Mitsubishi (5k cash, 5950 dealer loan). Owner claimed his little brother had it last, thing certainly seemed taken care of. There are some problems. Front bumper is loose, scraped on a speed bump. Also, the paint job needs to be redone soon, Florida weather has been harsh to the poor thing. No rusting, but it won't last this coming summer without huge chipping and rust. I was thinking of talking him down at least five hundred more. Any suggestions on similar cars? I'm from the panhandle of Florida, Pensacola to be exact, if that helps any. :v:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

skipdogg posted:

Lots of folks have more than 1 car. In my experience one of them is a 'beater' of some sort that addresses a certain need, while the other is the nicer vehicle that gets treated better. Some folks have beaters that are old pickup trucks, others have commuter cars where they don't care how many miles get put on them. Some (like AI posters) want an impractical fun to drive car like a Miata to mess around with on the weekends. A cousin of mine works at a dirty rear end chemical plant so he has an old car he just uses to drive to and from work. He doesn't give 2 shits about it, it's cheap to fix and gets good gas mileage. He doesn't have to worry about getting poo poo from the plant all over his newer truck. It's just a beater that fits his needs.

Yeah, this is the way I picture my hypothetical 2-car arrangement. Maybe a ~2003 Outback as the hauler/commuter with a Miata as the fun car.

I'm also curious as to how closely mileage is tied to lifespan for different makes/models of car. I see a lot of relatively late-model (2009, say) cars such as the Toyota Matrix with what seems to me to be high mileage, around 120k, but which don't seem to have any real issues beyond the mileage itself. My dad's had the same Passat wagon since 1998 and put about 250,000 miles on it with no plans for replacement (though he's in abject denial about how much he's spent on maintenance, which I would put at AT LEAST $1000 a year every year since maybe 2002) and I'm not especially concerned with getting a new car just for the sake of having a new car.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Ok, lets do this. Looking for a new-to-us car for my fiance:

Proposed Budget: $3000-6000
Body Style: Small to midsize sedan, possibly wagon or hatchback.
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute of about 20-30 minutes. Preferably would also be good for hauling kids around in the future.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and cost of maintenance.

Basically, I'm just looking for a basic car that's not going to have a bunch of lovely little problems. Major maintenance over the course of a couple years doesn't bother me. For example, if I can expect to replace the timing belt in 20k miles or a year and a half or whatever, that's fine. However, a car with a bunch of known electrical problems or a cheap interior that will fall apart is out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Focus with a ZTEC motor. Not the non-Zetec, they're poo poo and break. You can even get a ZXW (wagon) and join us in the ultracool AI wagon thread.
Mazda Protege5 or Mazda 3 (maybe)

Edoraz posted:

Body Style: Coupe or Sedan is fine. No trucks or SUVs. Also, I don't like huge sedans.
How will you be using the car?: Well, I plan on driving the drat thing. :v: It's gonna be an everyday car, with a possible chance of road trips and super long commutes.
What aspects are most important to you? I want something sporty looking, but not an actual sportscar. MPG is a gigantic factor, but I'm fine with ~20 in town. I want sleek, sexy, fun to drive, but nothing that will get me into trouble with either the law or carphiliacs. Also, I don't know how to drive a stick, but I'm willing to learn. v:v:v

I'm kind of at desperate straits: I blew my first given car to me (Oil Pump went out, didn't take long for the thing to die, found out what I did after the thing went out), which was a KIA '01 Spectra. Hated the thing. Despised would probably be a better word. I don't want another KIA, newer models being better or what not. Cheap Korean cars that think they are Toyotas. I'm currently driving a '91 Chevvy(?) Topaz with 360k miles on it. :gonk: It's a bad ride with a terrible starter.

I've currently driven:
•Riced out Honda Civic 02(?), which was really fun, but it had too many miles on it. Dealer said I was one of his better automatic drivers, so yay compliments.
•Well taken care of Poniac Firebird 01~03(?), it had a lot of get up and go, fun to drive, everything in it felt very responsive.
•Well taken care of Mitsubishi Eclipse 03, can't tell if GS or RS model, seems to be a GS (power windows, spoiler, same color as body door handles... all I saw that made it GS like). Good ride, everything was fairly responsive. Seat ran high, so some of my vision was on the dash/visor. Also, had a strange view range, too.
•A terribly taken care of Mustang 99 :gonk: It didn't take me long to drive that sucker back. Drove like poo poo, the last owner clearly didn't care for his investment.

I'm looking at that Mitsubishi (5k cash, 5950 dealer loan). Owner claimed his little brother had it last, thing certainly seemed taken care of. There are some problems. Front bumper is loose, scraped on a speed bump. Also, the paint job needs to be redone soon, Florida weather has been harsh to the poor thing. No rusting, but it won't last this coming summer without huge chipping and rust. I was thinking of talking him down at least five hundred more. Any suggestions on similar cars? I'm from the panhandle of Florida, Pensacola to be exact, if that helps any. :v:
I'd avoid all of these. Maybe a civic that hasn't been riced out. Please tell me you're not considering paying nearly 11k on a 2003 Mitsu eclipse.
Focus ZX3s are kinda sporty as are Mazda Proteges.

nm fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 29, 2013

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

nm posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Focus with a ZTEC motor. Not the non-Zetec, they're poo poo and break. You can even get a ZXW (wagon) and join us in the ultracool AI wagon thread.
Mazda Protege5 or Mazda 3 (maybe)

I'd avoid all of these. Maybe a civic that hasn't been riced out. Please tell me you're not considering paying nearly 11k on a 2003 Mitsu eclipse.
Focus ZX3s are kinda sporty as are Mazda Proteges.

I should've said "Test drove". I haven't bought anything yet. Also, I was saying it was 5k in cash, 6k in dealership loans, not both.

But those two car lines are nice, so thank you for that. I'm assuming you are pointing me towards a more reliable direction than the ones I listed?

edit: Pass on the Focus ZX3. Too unreliable. Also, Proteges don't exist down south used. :v I'll keep an eye out.

Edoraz fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 29, 2013

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome suggestions that came from this thread when I posted, ended up getting a 2004 Infiniti G35. After a bit of searching and test driving, with a little bit of haggling thrown in to round it out I finally found one that was exactly what I wanted. Black/Black, 78k miles, every option(I think?) and most importantly 6MT.

Paid $12.5k OTD from a local dealership, I had them replace the rear tires since they were on their way out and a few other small things like wheel locks(had to break the stock ones off when I took it to my mechanic to inspect it since there was no key) and one of the exhaust gaskets since it was leaking. Ended up putting putting $3k down and financing the other $9.5k from my credit union which worked out great, made the whole buying the car process much easier having the financing already figured out prior to actually shopping. Price seems to be right on par if not a tad high for my local market, but I am completely satisfied with the car and the purchase as a whole so far. Much thanks to whoever the original person who suggested a G35 was since it was not a car that I had on my radar originally, but ended up being exactly what I wanted.

Here's a pic I posted in the "Post your own ride" thread just for reference.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Edoraz posted:

See if you fit into a 1999 or 2000 Miata. Then get handy with a wrench.

They're reliable cars and dead simple to work on.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2
I'm tired of driving a leaking 91 Park Ave...

Proposed Budget: $10-15k
Body Style: Sportier sedan
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute is about 20min but I take the bus usually. Mostly used for in-city runs and weekly, longer, 45-min-hour each way trips.

Prefer a sedan for (near?) future kid hauling.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, looks, mileage.

I've always had cars that start out in the 90k miles full of problems that previous owners left for me. Id like a newer car to drive for 4-5 years, preferably under 30k miles.

I can stretch the budget for something I really want. I am tempted by the Suzuki Kisashi, but unsure because of the bankruptcy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

100% Dundee posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome suggestions that came from this thread when I posted, ended up getting a 2004 Infiniti G35. After a bit of searching and test driving, with a little bit of haggling thrown in to round it out I finally found one that was exactly what I wanted. Black/Black, 78k miles, every option(I think?) and most importantly 6MT.

Paid $12.5k OTD from a local dealership, I had them replace the rear tires since they were on their way out and a few other small things like wheel locks(had to break the stock ones off when I took it to my mechanic to inspect it since there was no key) and one of the exhaust gaskets since it was leaking. Ended up putting putting $3k down and financing the other $9.5k from my credit union which worked out great, made the whole buying the car process much easier having the financing already figured out prior to actually shopping. Price seems to be right on par if not a tad high for my local market, but I am completely satisfied with the car and the purchase as a whole so far. Much thanks to whoever the original person who suggested a G35 was since it was not a car that I had on my radar originally, but ended up being exactly what I wanted.

Congrats dude, looks great. I'm going to chalk this up as a win for me since I was that guy :hfive:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Rukawa posted:

I'm tired of driving a leaking 91 Park Ave...

Proposed Budget: $10-15k
Body Style: Sportier sedan
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute is about 20min but I take the bus usually. Mostly used for in-city runs and weekly, longer, 45-min-hour each way trips.

Prefer a sedan for (near?) future kid hauling.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, looks, mileage.

I've always had cars that start out in the 90k miles full of problems that previous owners left for me. Id like a newer car to drive for 4-5 years, preferably under 30k miles.

I can stretch the budget for something I really want. I am tempted by the Suzuki Kisashi, but unsure because of the bankruptcy.

Not sure how many are on the used market yet, but a low milage 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive should suit your needs perfectly. I don't think yu're going to find anything truely 'sporty' with <30k on the odometer under $20k. But if you're coming from a Park Avenue pretty much any compact sedan should feel quite agile in comparison.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 29, 2013

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

Augmented Dickey posted:

Not sure how many are on the used market yet, but a low milage 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive should suit your needs perfectly. I don't think yu're going to find anything truely 'sporty' with <30k on the odometer under $20k. But if you're coming from a Park Avenue pretty much any compact sedan should feel quite agile in comparison.

Re: Sporty, exactly, I just want sportier :). Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look around.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Augmented Dickey posted:

Having just bought a used Mazda 3 this weekend (thanks thread!), you won't find a 2012 with low miles for under $20k either.

It's insanely nice coming from a 94 Camry.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

IRQ posted:

Having just bought a used Mazda 3 this weekend (thanks thread!), you won't find a 2012 with low miles for under $20k either.

It's insanely nice coming from a 94 Camry.

This isn't true, unless you're looking for a Grand Touring. I'm going to be buying a brand new 3 for around 17k, I've seen used ones around 16.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

This isn't true, unless you're looking for a Grand Touring. I'm going to be buying a brand new 3 for around 17k, I've seen used ones around 16.

I've been looking at the Mazda3 as well, is that total with tax and all other fees? Seems around the Miami area prices are inflated to high hell. Sucks to live in a place with horrid public transportation.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2
What is the general feeling on buying an Suzuki now? I'm definitely intrigued by the SLS Sport for cheap since they left the market.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

IRQ posted:

Sure you will; I bought a 2012 Skyactiv new for around $18k OTD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Edoraz posted:

I should've said "Test drove". I haven't bought anything yet. Also, I was saying it was 5k in cash, 6k in dealership loans, not both.

But those two car lines are nice, so thank you for that. I'm assuming you are pointing me towards a more reliable direction than the ones I listed?

edit: Pass on the Focus ZX3. Too unreliable. Also, Proteges don't exist down south used. :v I'll keep an eye out.

The ZX3 isn't unreliable in ZETEC form after the first two years.

I'll recommend the Integra if you can find a non-riced LS or RS. The four door is less desirable, for whatever reason.

It's strange, I can think of some decent small sporty cars but not anything that's sporty LOOKING but not actually sporty. Maybe like the two door Pontiac Bonneville or Grand Prix but those are pretty lovely cars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't even see Integras around anymore, they've certainly all been stolen and chopped by now.

It's a little bit older but surely there are still non-turbo 2G DSMs with the 420A engine and 4 speed auto still floating around? Those look pretty sleek and sporty and one would think the usual DSM meatheads would stay away from the NA automatics.

EDIT: Also the most legendary nameplate in American performance until the SRT4 came along.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 30, 2013

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

I've been looking at the Mazda3 as well, is that total with tax and all other fees? Seems around the Miami area prices are inflated to high hell. Sucks to live in a place with horrid public transportation.

I've got a quote right now for 17k including destination, minus other taxes and fees. So probably end up being around 18-18.5k.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't even see Integras around anymore, they've certainly all been stolen and chopped by now.

It's a little bit older but surely there are still non-turbo 2G DSMs with the 420A engine and 4 speed auto still floating around? Those look pretty sleek and sporty and one would think the usual DSM meatheads would stay away from the NA automatics.

EDIT: Also the most legendary nameplate in American performance until the SRT4 came along.

Impreza 2.5RS might be an OK choice. Did that version of the EJ have head gasket issues?

DSM is a pretty good choice. I think the base Prelude is too much along the lines of the Integra. What about the base Celica? But again, I never see those.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Agronox posted:

Sure you will; I bought a 2012 Skyactiv new for around $18k OTD.

Automatic though? The shitlord boss at the dealership tried to sell me a new 2012 Mazda 3 for less than 20k (before all the other costs) but it was a manual. I can't drive stick so it was a no-go. Then he tried to sell me a new Mazda 2 - which was like driving a river barge with 1 horsepower. I can't believe anyone buy those things, especially new. Not everyone can drive stick or wants to deal with dickhead dealers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IRQ posted:

Automatic though? The shitlord boss at the dealership tried to sell me a new 2012 Mazda 3 for less than 20k (before all the other costs) but it was a manual. I can't drive stick so it was a no-go. Then he tried to sell me a new Mazda 2 - which was like driving a river barge with 1 horsepower. I can't believe anyone buy those things, especially new. Not everyone can drive stick or wants to deal with dickhead dealers.

Do you have a physical condition keeping you from driving stick? If not, saving some money and learning a somewhat useful skill might be worth it. Certain people will act like you need to be a hardcore driver or something to learn stick. I learned stick by showing up at a dealer in utah and driving my car (a car with a slightly difficult clutch and poo poo gear box, yay turbo subarus!) back to California. Probably only cost me a found thousand miles of clutch.
Also, the Mazda 2's a pretty fun car. Horsepower isn't the end all, be all. Also, manuals tend to make low horsepower cars more fun.

If you have a physical disability, I get it, but otherwise if you're deal hunting in the low end of the market, you shouldn't be picky.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 30, 2013

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I bought a 2010 Lexus HS 250h this weekend - paid $25k, has 25k miles on it. I should have probably come here first, but since I didn't - go ahead and tell me how bad I did.

DaveStorm
May 6, 2005
haha, yeah right
Family man here...

Proposed Budget: 8k-12k EUR (12k-16k USD) - I'm not in US
Body Style: Station wagon (don't like SUV's)
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute is about 15-20 min, but on lovely roads - snow and ice in the winter. Longer trips on weekends, with 2 kids in seats and a lot of stuff to haul.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, reliability, a good "winter car" (heated seats, good climate control, good handling in snow/ice/wet). Preferably with all the gizmos. FWD or AWD. Stick shift.

What I've looked so far and can't decide on:

Subaru Outback (3rd gen): meets the requirements, but do I really want the AWD? Reading different opinions it seems that it only offers advantages in deep snow/mud and on hill climbs which I won't be getting into. I have driven AWD Audi A4 (Quattro) for about 5 years and apart from being able to get into some parking spaces in the winter which I would probably avoid with other cars, I haven't noticed any real advantage. It seems the other options are cheaper and with lower running costs.

Mazda 6 (2nd gen): seems good enough on all fronts. Reviews give a good impression and I like the looks. Should I get it?

Toyota Avensis: don't know much about these, seem also to be good enough and in the price range. Toyotas are supposed to be very reliable, which I like. Euro NCAP results seem to be a bit better then the Mazda, but does a small difference matter if they both get five stars?

There are probably more, but these seem to be most common choices in my area.

Also might add that I'm pretty stupid with cars - this is the second car I'm buying in my life and would like to avoid loving up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

photomikey posted:

I bought a 2010 Lexus HS 250h this weekend - paid $25k, has 25k miles on it. I should have probably come here first, but since I didn't - go ahead and tell me how bad I did.

Congrats on your used and marginally upmarket Prius.

It's not a bad buy but it doesn't do anything better than the Prius except Be Less Useful and Cost More Money.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe I'm out of the loop because I've never seen one of these fuckers on the road ever and have never heard of anyone that bought one, but they started at $36k brand new, how can a ~4 year old one still be worth $25k?

For comparison here's what you can get for $25k:

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...102&prcId=28576

The MKZ has more power AND better fuel economy (41/36 vs 35/34), real leather seats, can be had with cooled front seats, and is larger and roomier to boot. It's even a sedan so it can satisfy your irrational hatred of hatchbacks.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 30, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IRQ posted:

Hi. I bought one of those river barges with a stick. It's obvious that you've never driven one because "river barge" doesn't seem to be synonymous with a 2300 lbs car with excellent handling.

I, too, think anybody who tries to sell me something that I'm not immediately familiar with is an automatic shitlord.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe I'm out of the loop because I've never seen one of these fuckers on the road ever and have never heard of anyone that bought one, but they started at $36k brand new, how can a ~4 year old one still be worth $25k?

For comparison here's what you can get for $25k:

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...102&prcId=28576

The MKZ has more power AND better fuel economy (41/36 vs 35/34), real leather seats, can be had with cooled front seats, and is larger and roomier to boot. It's even a sedan so it can satisfy your irrational hatred of hatchbacks.
I assume a 3 year old one (2013 minus 2010 = 3) can be worth more than a two year old Lincoln MKZ because... people like it more, so will pay more for it.

Gotta say, I like the look of the Lincoln (though not as good as the Lexus), and I had not driven one before I made my purchase. Looking at local listings, seems like they are in the same price range. Indeed, there is a 6mpg boost to go that way. My lexus has "real" leather seats and has heated/cooled seats, and frankly, I'd make the same move again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

photomikey posted:

I assume a 3 year old one (2013 minus 2010 = 3) can be worth more than a two year old Lincoln MKZ because... people like it more, so will pay more for it.

2014 cars are already being built right now, it's possible that a 2010 Lexus is 4 years from its build date at this point.

Enjoy your car, but the Lexus badge is about all that the HS 250h has going for it. People do like the Lexus badge, so time may show that you made a very good decision when you sell it to a bigger idiot in 7 years for $10k.