Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

842 posted:

I'll correct myself, a poor mans rangefinder. I'm well aware of the differences but after seeing the improvements that happened with the x100s in manual focusing, it is so similar I don't think most users would care about the differences. I just looked up there was a 13 month difference in release dates for the x100 and the x pro 1, which is probably a good tell for when the next x pro series will be announced. I guess I'm buying an x pro 1. I wish one of the brick and mortar stores near me had a tester I could play with to feel comfortable about the focusing options. I hope the improvements in firmware make quickly focusing in low light an option. Anyone have one who can voice an opinion? I currently shoot on a D7000 with a 35mm f/1.8 which misses focus 25% of the time in my typical shoot environments if anyone could compare the two.

Well, what are you shooting and from how far away?

I wouldn't do any low light shooting with the 60mm as it is a macro lens and takes a while to go through the range. The 35mm is pretty decent but you're going to need some contrast on what you're shooting for it to lock. I was out on Saturday in broad daylight gathering texture source and there were a few times where the X-Pro 1 wouldn't focus (painted walls and a dumpster and the side of a Conex). Each instance was entirely my fault for shooting featureless objects with a contrast-detect camera like a hooplehead. I ended up cutting black squares off the roll of Gorilla tape I keep in my car to affix them to surfaces to clone out later.

We were due a firmware update to the X-Pro/X-E1 body and the 35mm earlier this week but that is on indefinite hold as Fuji is investigating this single line of pink or green dots showing up in the upper top left of photos taken between 27 and 35mm on the 18-55. Both the body and lens firmware update had autofocus updates in their changelist.

Note that none of this is me complaining. For anything I've ever asked of it, the X100 focuses like a champ. The X-Pro 1 still feels a little "off" to me in that there are occasionally low light situations where my brain says "the X100 would have focused" but that may be due to differences in focal lengths or I could be flat out wrong. Of the 368 photos I took the other day, one was backfocused and that was me not paying attention and another one was blurred for no discernible reason. I suspect I fired the shutter before the lens completed focus. Since I've shot nearly exclusively with the X system for over a year and a half, I'm pretty happy with contrast detect because when you see that green box you know you've got it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Helicity posted:

I switched from an X100 to an XE-1 (just got it yesterday). The AF on the X-E1/X-Pro-1 is great now - still not blazing compared to a few other cameras known for their AF speed, but noticeably better than the X100. There's also yet another firmware update due soon with even faster AF. The X100 was frustrating with its AF accuracy and speed, but I haven't had a single issue with the X-E1 so far. If you won't miss the OVF, the EVF in the XE-1 is pretty awesome, and the camera is otherwise almost identical to the Pro. I don't want for better AF/MF at all with the X-E1 like I did with the X100.

Where the OVF really shines is when the EVF (kind of middling compared to the latest Sony stuff) gets blown out. I personally think the EVF is better for low light stuff but you should definitely try the XPro-1 out before committing.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

842 posted:

I'll correct myself, a poor mans rangefinder

Not even that; it just happens to share styling with classic rangefinders. Looking through a non-TTL viewfinder and relying on autofocus is really more akin to using a simple 35mm point and shoot camera.

If you truly want a poor man's rangefinder, just pick up a Fed or Zorki and shoot some film.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread yet, but B&H and Adorama are selling BOTH the Sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses in a kit for $199. Both the m4/3 and Sony versions are backordered, but if they get some more stock in it will be a hell of a deal.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5804534-Sig...9-Free-shipping

E: Sony version is showing 'in stock' at B&H at the moment.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 23, 2013

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
NEX folks - Sony giveth and Sony taketh away - http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/18-200mm-powerzoom-20mm-f2-8-to-be-announced-soon/

I have to think that the camera/sensor folks at Sony must truly hate their optics people. How can you look at what the competition has been enjoying for more than a year or longer and then step up to the plate with such mediocre offerings? Going from 16mm to 20mm and not improving speed at all? Maybe in a world where the Panasonic 20/1.7 hasn't existed for YEARS. It's a shame, because NEX is such a capable and compelling system. Waiting for the quality of glass the system deserves is enough to drive a man to drink.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I'd personally be very excited about the 20mm if the Sigma 19mm didn't already exist (and even then, I'd still consider getting this one since it looks a lot more compact). I don't think the Panasonic 20mm is a good comparison since that's a normal lens and this is a wide angle.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

krackmonkey posted:

NEX folks - Sony giveth and Sony taketh away - http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/18-200mm-powerzoom-20mm-f2-8-to-be-announced-soon/

I have to think that the camera/sensor folks at Sony must truly hate their optics people. How can you look at what the competition has been enjoying for more than a year or longer and then step up to the plate with such mediocre offerings? Going from 16mm to 20mm and not improving speed at all? Maybe in a world where the Panasonic 20/1.7 hasn't existed for YEARS. It's a shame, because NEX is such a capable and compelling system. Waiting for the quality of glass the system deserves is enough to drive a man to drink.

They're selling a f/3.5-6.3 superzoom for twelve hundred loving dollars?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Augmented Dickey posted:

They're selling a f/3.5-6.3 superzoom for twelve hundred loving dollars?

It's a camcorder lens, the body+lens kit for that cam is ~$2700. They can't let it cannibalize those sales, even if it could be cheaper.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Didn't they just partner with Olympus? I assume their glass should start getting better eventually.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxAtT2pTlyw

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEid8P1Rvrs

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

I'm ready to believe that Kai can do no wrong :)

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

krackmonkey posted:

This is exactly why I sold my NEX-5. Lack of viewfinder was killing me (yeah I know, newer models have them.) but the camera wasn't that flat with anything but the 16mm lens and promises for lenses just kept going unfulfilled.

X100 forever.

I also don't understand the push that everything must be full frame. Small cameras need smaller sensors and smaller lenses in order to be small and have zoom lenses.

For any FF EVIL camera to succeed it better have a load of tiny prime lenses. Sony has previously committed to their 1 lens per century schedule, split that between APS-C and FF lens line production and you may have a FF NEX with the same 2 lenses available for the first 4 years and 5 bodies.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 24, 2013

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Rontalvos posted:

This is exactly why I sold my NEX-5. Lack of viewfinder was killing me (yeah I know, newer models have them.) but the camera wasn't that flat with anything but the 16mm lens and promises for lenses just kept going unfulfilled.

X100 forever.

I also don't understand the push that everything must be full frame. Small cameras need smaller sensors and smaller lenses in order to be small and have zoom lenses.

For any FF EVIL camera to succeed it better have a load of tiny prime lenses. Sony has previously committed to their 1 lens per century schedule, split that between APS-C and FF lens line production and you may have a FF NEX with the same 2 lenses available for the first 4 years and 5 bodies.

Why would you be so upset about NEX lens availability when you can do :krad: things like this

feld fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 28, 2013

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

feld posted:

Why would you be so upset about NEX lens availability when you can do :krad: things like this

That's just a shitload of stuff crammed together, of questionable utility. This here is a legit configuration for shooting actual photos:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

HPL posted:

That's just a shitload of stuff crammed together, of questionable utility. This here is a legit configuration for shooting actual photos:

You're right. It was old m42 type lenses my dad had laying around and it was pretty bad. But it was amusing!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm liking the Takumar 55 that I adapted to my X-E1 quite a bit:

edit - moved stuff about sticky aperture to another thread

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 29, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HPL posted:

Why would you want a 30 mm fisheye on an APS‐C sensor? :psyduck:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I decided to return the NEX-5N and go with the GX1 with the 14-42 PZ. Main reason for switching was that I wanted something that I could fit in a jacket or cargo pocket. I realized that the NEX with the kit lens was something that I was going to have to make a point to carry with me instead of something I could put in my jacket (and kind of defeated the purpose of going mirrorless for me). It's not exactly perfect - it's still bulky - but it works well enough that I don't always need a bag. (I know there's a PZ for NEX and a pancake but I didn't have to spend any extra money to just get the GX1 instead).

Anyway, I'm really liking the GX1 - the physical buttons and controls are GREAT (didn't dig the constant NEX menu diving), and a hot shoe and built in flash are nice to have. And in terms of lenses I don't think that Sony really has anything close to the 20mm 1.7 pancake yet.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Speaking of useful adapters, has anybody tried one of those shift adapters on an APS-C camera? Would the image circle from something like a Nikon 18mm or 20mm be large enough to even be worthwhile?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FasterThanLight posted:

Speaking of useful adapters, has anybody tried one of those shift adapters on an APS-C camera? Would the image circle from something like a Nikon 18mm or 20mm be large enough to even be worthwhile?

Based on the size of the full‐frame image circle, you can shift them about 11 mm in one direction and 8 mm in the other. Nikon’s PC-E lenses give you 11 mm of shift, and 8 mm is proportionally the same on APS‐C as 11 mm is on full‐frame. I’d say that’s worthwhile.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A few weeks back I bought an E-P1 body to use with my Pentax lenses and old Russian lenses, which was awesome. But, I really wanted a walkaround kit lens, so I found an E-PL1 + Kit Lens auction that I picked up for less than I paid for the E-P1 body.

So, I'm trying to decide which body I want to sell (and keep the kit lens). Is there any reason to keep the E-P1 over the E-PL1, other than aesthetics? The E-PL1 has the option of the VF-2/VF-3 which is an incredibly cool feature, though it might not be terribly useful. Aside from that it seems to be pretty much identical, and I could probably get more for the E-P1.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

feld posted:

90% of pictures I make are outside in the daytime, and both of my grandparents have macular degeneration so I wear sunglasses outside 100% of the time. With polarized sunglasses, the LCD on my NEX-5 was nigh unusable. Hell, even without sunglasses it struggled to be visible. When the sun is so bright it makes the LCD screen unusable, it doesn't matter what kind of lens you have.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I guess this is the thread for this - my wife's grandfather gave me a couple lenses, one if which is a Takumar 55 1.8 M42 mount. My M42 -> NEX adapter just came in today and man, this lens kicks some rear end. Probably might flare since it is an older lens but wide open it is very sharp and all around seems to perform quite well. Thought I'd pop in to mention it in case anyone was looking for a cheap well performing 55 1.8 lens.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

rio posted:

I guess this is the thread for this - my wife's grandfather gave me a couple lenses, one if which is a Takumar 55 1.8 M42 mount. My M42 -> NEX adapter just came in today and man, this lens kicks some rear end. Probably might flare since it is an older lens but wide open it is very sharp and all around seems to perform quite well. Thought I'd pop in to mention it in case anyone was looking for a cheap well performing 55 1.8 lens.

You can get them for ~$30 off Ebay and they're phenomenal lenses, although they do flare quite a bit. They're an undervalued lens, especially in the shadow of the Takumar 50mm f1.4. The only downside is they're radioactive, if you're paranoid about that. I like the build quality of the 1965 Super Takumars, but the SMCs have been a lot sharper, corner-to-corner, in my limited testing.

edit: wow, prices have jumped up to $40-$60 on Ebay in just the last few weeks. Still a great lens for the price though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Nothing like a radioactive element placed right next to an exposed sensor 24/7.

But seriously it's probably not an issue.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Mr. Despair posted:

Nothing like a radioactive element placed right next to an exposed sensor 24/7.

But seriously it's probably not an issue.

I know you're kind of joking, but I actually looked into this because I was concerned. With the adapter, you have 4-5cm from the rear radioactive element to the sensor which is enough air to bring the radiation to near-background levels. That being said, high doses of radiation (way more than this lens) will fry optical sensors with repeated contact, so I don't tempt fate and leave my lens on when I'm not shooting with it. I think prolonged exposure directly next to the rear element is equivalent to eating a few bananas, 1/5 of a dental X-ray, or the amount you get from flying in a plane. The 50mm f1.4 is several times more radioactive to the point where I'd actually be worried about using that lens, but that's just me.

Also, unrelated, but the Fuji 18-55 is a sweet lens. I don't know if I'd pay the non-bundle price for it, but at $400 extra as a kit, it's very serviceable.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 30, 2013

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Suddenly the Sigma lens 2 for 1 specials make much more sense, better formulas are incoming, also a 60mm for NEX/M43

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/sigma-announces-new-lenses-cpplus-2013?link=feb_m_1

Also, NEX 5r and NEX 6 are finally getting Hybrid AF for the lenses most of their user base actually wanted it for.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-japan-announces-the-slt-and-nex-firmware-update/

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 30, 2013

May 18, 2009
Still considering buying a X Pro1 and with 4 days left to decide I was wondering if any X Pro1 owners could settle something I've read about the camera. I currently shoot a D7000 fully manual (besides auto focus) and use the AF-L/AE-L as my focus button rather than the 1/2 button press on the shutter button. I was trying to find out if it was possible to do this focus method on the X Pro1 and the only thing I found was from Ken Rockwell, who said its only possible in Manual Focus mode where the camera chooses the aperture, which defeats the purpose of shooting fully manual.

I read the camera's manual which says "If AE & AF ON WHEN PRESSING is selected, exposure and/or focus will lock while the AFL/AEL button is pressed." Since it doesn't say anything about focusing when the button is pressed I'm still not sure my current focus method is possible on the X Pro 1.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

842 posted:

Still considering buying a X Pro1 and with 4 days left to decide I was wondering if any X Pro1 owners could settle something I've read about the camera. I currently shoot a D7000 fully manual (besides auto focus) and use the AF-L/AE-L as my focus button rather than the 1/2 button press on the shutter button. I was trying to find out if it was possible to do this focus method on the X Pro1 and the only thing I found was from Ken Rockwell, who said its only possible in Manual Focus mode where the camera chooses the aperture, which defeats the purpose of shooting fully manual.

I read the camera's manual which says "If AE & AF ON WHEN PRESSING is selected, exposure and/or focus will lock while the AFL/AEL button is pressed." Since it doesn't say anything about focusing when the button is pressed I'm still not sure my current focus method is possible on the X Pro 1.

My X-Pro 1 is in the other room, but K-Rock is misinterpreted or incorrect, AFL/AEL initiates autofocus in Manual mode regardless of aperture or shutter priority or fully manual operation. If you keep the camera in Manual mode always it will behave exactly like the back button focusing you are used to. There is no other way to decouple the shutter button in other modes but I can't say I miss the option. In single shot mode the AFL-AEL button will lock exposure or autofocus or both as either a toggle or switch as you have it configured. I am not sure how Continuous works. The X100 works the same way now although in earlier firmware, back button focusing would occasionally achieve focus in low light situations where shutter button initiated focusing would fail.

I can't imagine a lot of X series users use back button focusing exclusively but I can't think of any reason why you couldn't.

Edit: No focus confirmation. I forgot you don't get a red or green box in Manual. If back button focusing is that important to you, consider an X-E1 instead as it is going to be a lot easier to see if the focus failed if you're looking through an EVF.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 30, 2013

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I'm either getting a 5r or a 6 in a month or so. Decisions are hard.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ease posted:

I'm either getting a 5r or a 6 in a month or so. Decisions are hard.

I'm waiting to see what the NEX-7's successor is like... most likely I'll pick up a used 6 or 7 from someone who's upgrading and use that until the full frame one comes out.

Since my Pen 42mm f/1.2 bit the dust I've been without a good low-light lens. I was between either getting another 42mm f/1.2 or the Sony 35 f/1.8 OSS. In the end I decided to go with the Sony... I've never been wowed by my OG NEX-3's AF performance in low light, but then again that's only been using the 16mm f/2.8, so not the best sample. I'll post up in a week or two after the lens comes and I've had a chance to shoot with it. Really wish it was a 1.4, but then again, stabilized.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Whatever the NEX 6N turns out to be, it'll probably be pretty sweet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus' Facebook page is announcing a 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 as what looks like an affordable alternative to the 100-300mm. They're listing MSRP at $550.

It's killing me that they're putting out these really nice lenses but only like 2 of them are weather sealed, and one of them is the kit lens.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DJExile posted:

It's killing me that they're putting out these really nice lenses but only like 2 of them are weather sealed, and one of them is the kit lens.

Yeah it kinda defeats the purpose of making the OMD weather-sealed if most of the lenses aren't. They should at least have made the premium lenses like the 12/2 or 75/1.8 as weather-sealed.

Ksi
May 1, 2007
"Hasta la victoria siempre"
New firmware for the X-PRO 1 and the 35mm 1.4 is out... I've been reading a few comments on fujirumors and dpreview forums and it seems that it made the AF slower but more accurate. I haven't updated yet until i read more about it.

Ksi
May 1, 2007
"Hasta la victoria siempre"
Nevermind. Just upgraded the body and the lens and, from a bunch of pictures in my dim light room it seems to focus faster and more accurately. It seems to hunt less for focus and no "lens noise" reported.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Ksi posted:

Nevermind. Just upgraded the body and the lens and, from a bunch of pictures in my dim light room it seems to focus faster and more accurately. It seems to hunt less for focus and no "lens noise" reported.

Good to hear, I'm going to upgrade mine tonight. I often think a lot of the whining on camera forums is over exaggerated. Wah why don't fuji update the firmware to give me a little feature, wah my lens is a little noisier.

You've gone out and bought a camera that is capable of producing some amazing shots. Fujifilm continue to develop improvements for it, What re you complaining about?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Aargh posted:

Good to hear, I'm going to upgrade mine tonight. I often think a lot of the whining on camera forums is over exaggerated. Wah why don't fuji update the firmware to give me a little feature, wah my lens is a little noisier.

You've gone out and bought a camera that is capable of producing some amazing shots. Fujifilm continue to develop improvements for it, What re you complaining about?

I don't know if I would call it noisier, it sounds different. The 35 is slightly slower and it is perceivable. The trade off is that it seems to hunt less in low light. It feels more "sure" in low light.

I've noticed it misfocus a few times on backlit things and in low light so look for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Take a look here at these specials starting on Feb. 7th for Fuji X-Mount stuff:

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php?/topic/7501-fujifilm-x-camera-and-lens-specials-starting-feb-7/

It's essentially the same deal they had with the X-Pro1 (save $300 if you buy the body with a lens) but with the X-E1, or the X-Pro1 with zoom lens plus additional discounts if you but additional lenses at the same time.