Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
I like cilantro, but man is it an herb ripe for abuse. I only pile it on like some of you when it's the anemic stuff. It's a flavor I enjoy, but easily overwhelms everything else.

My mom told me she doesn't like pho :cry:

Herb abuse snype?

Lyssavirus fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steakandchips posted:

You big babby.

Right, and you like every flavour and texture. (In which case you're undiscriminating!).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Dear E/N,
It seems like becomming unemployed is kinda hard to do..

I have handed in my resignation, which technically isn't a resignation, but a negation of an offer that they made me.

Now they have made me 2 new offers.. the third is in formulation.

This is really reminding me of the first time I had to dump a girl... She is weepy, clingy, and trying to pressure me back with her information about having missed her period, asking for just one last time together, incessantly phoning (yeah - I dumped my last girl right before texts got popular people) at two am asking for sexual favors..

This is what my relationship with senior management has been reduced to.

In the other news - I am presently going to second and third interviews with some new, better looking, more fit and vigorously and healthily plump full-bodied future girlfriends.

Love

Your pal

Happy Hat

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
I just got a 3 lb wild boar ham, what should I do with it?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

I just got a 3 lb wild boar ham, what should I do with it?

Is it cured or do you just have a huge piece of boarbutt?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Lyssavirus posted:

My mom told me she doesn't like pho :cry:

Sever.

HH, I just had a mental image of a senior VP crying and telling you he's pregnant while trying to get you to stay at the company, so thanks for that, haha.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Sever.

HH, I just had a mental image of a senior VP crying and telling you he's pregnant while trying to get you to stay at the company, so thanks for that, haha.

That's probably not far from the truth.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

therattle posted:

Right, and you like every flavour and texture. (In which case you're undiscriminating!).

Babby!

Ok yeah I don't like cardamom.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Is it cured or do you just have a huge piece of boarbutt?

huge piece of boarbutt.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steakandchips posted:

Babby!

Ok yeah I don't like cardamom.

Now look at who's broken.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Now look at who's broken.

Mum, is that you?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steakandchips posted:

Mum, is that you?

No but I'll tell her hello.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Read this post, then mediaphage's masterful response 2 posts down:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3309340&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post412008877
:golfclap:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dane posted:

Hey, so, the cilantro thing might actually be a ... thing. https://www.23andme.com/about/factoid/cilantro/

I think it was me who started it, but I didn't say people were man babbies, I said the original "study" was stupid. The original study was basically a dude going to a "Twin Fair" and asking twins if they liked or hated cilantro and based on that he said that it may be genetic. To which, everyone who hates cilantro said, "SEE, IT'S GENETIC :science:".

Maybe it's because I'm a physicist and I'm used to being able to get real, measurable results not wishy washy "we asked a few people some questions and they gave us their subjective opinion which we cannot test or verify" results but even this sounds inconclusive to me. "Tastes soapy" is such a weird qualifier. What even does it mean for something to taste soapy? They separate "tastes soapy" from "likes/dislikes" but they didn't show any correlation. They don't mention any study of upbringing, culture. Were they raised to experience cilantro, do they have a propensity to like new foods, is cilantro even considered a "new food" to them? Sure they separate out by ethnicity, but the perception of soapiness could just be due to the lack of cilantro use in European foods. They could just as easily have asked "Does cardamom taste like vaporub?" or "Does cumin smell like some hippie's arm pits?" and probably got similar results, to which they could have run the same genotype analysis and got the same result. Not really correlation, unless I'm missing something.

Though, I admit, I am not a biologist, and if this is what is considered conclusive in that field I concede.

Link to paper:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1209.2096v1.pdf

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
God drat it. It's the second time my small lunch group at work has gotten random metal in our food from the local Indian spot. I feel like a battered woman who doesn't want to report her boyfriend. Gotta do it... Sorry old friend.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dane posted:

Hey, so, the cilantro thing might actually be a ... thing. https://www.23andme.com/about/factoid/cilantro/

Why would they use "factoid" in this, when they have at least some sort of evidence supporting the plausibility of cilantro tasting soapy?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Casu Marzu posted:

Why would they use "factoid" in this, when they have at least some sort of evidence supporting the plausibility of cilantro tasting soapy?

Because they're a popsmart website trying to get some scientific validity from it? *shrug*

I don't recall you as being particularly harsh, I just remember the thread about food dislikes where there was a lot of bitching going on.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

huge piece of boarbutt.

I roasted a 20 pound ham for pre-Christmas, and it came out awesome.

I used Emeril's orange glaze:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/baked-fresh-ham-with-citrus-rum-glaze-recipe/index.html

Only thing I did wrong was let the pan drippings burn. If it's a big ham, it's going to take a long time, so watch for that.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 29, 2013

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I probably never had any cilantro as a kid. When I was finally exposed to it, I found cilantro very unpleasant and soapy and it would ruin anything it touched. Then I ate it some more and it wasn't so bad. Now I like it a lot.

MY GOD! Have I mutated?!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wroughtirony posted:

I probably never had any cilantro as a kid. When I was finally exposed to it, I found cilantro very unpleasant and soapy and it would ruin anything it touched. Then I ate it some more and it wasn't so bad. Now I like it a lot.

MY GOD! Have I mutated?!

There was an interesting article in I think Slate about how one can train oneself to like flavours one doesn't like. Pairing them with flavours or textures one likes helps, apparently.

I [i]stis tills can't get used to the taste of cum though.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

therattle posted:

There was an interesting article in I think Slate about how one can train oneself to like flavours one doesn't like. Pairing them with flavours or textures one likes helps, apparently.

Don't type with your mouth full.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Very Strange Things posted:

Don't type with your mouth full.

I'm not going to edit my post as it would ruin your excellent comment.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

therattle posted:

The 'chocolate sauce' isn't helping.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wroughtirony posted:

MY GOD! Have I mutated?!

Here's an interesting article from a few years back about some of the science behind cilantro and the "soapy" tastes some people detect. I'm not sure if I fully buy into it, but it's pretty neat.

Personally, I never had cilantro until I went to college and expanded my palate dramatically, and I gobbled that poo poo up since day 1. I feel bad for those who don't like it because it's so delicious, and I can't help myself from looking down on people who don't like it through no fault of their own. Sorry, babbies!! I really can't help myself!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Here's an interesting article from a few years back about some of the science behind cilantro and the "soapy" tastes some people detect. I'm not sure if I fully buy into it, but it's pretty neat.

That Wysocki dude is the guy I was talking about in my post above. The one who went to a Twin Fair and asked people about their food preferences and deduced genetics. :pseudo:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Personally, I never had cilantro until I went to college and expanded my palate dramatically, and I gobbled that poo poo up since day 1. I feel bad for those who don't like it because it's so delicious, and I can't help myself from looking down on people who don't like it through no fault of their own. Sorry, babbies!! I really can't help myself!

Like I said earlier, anything you don't like?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lyssavirus posted:

I like cilantro, but man is it an herb ripe for abuse. I only pile it on like some of you when it's the anemic stuff. It's a flavor I enjoy, but easily overwhelms everything else.
This. It's got a nice flavor, but holy crap you have to be really sparse with it or it just tramples all other flavors into nothing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

This. It's got a nice flavor, but holy crap you have to be really sparse with it or it just tramples all other flavors into nothing.

... and?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah, this is totally cool by me. But then again, I usually use a lot of cilantro on heavily spiced food that I cook, like thai style curries/stir frys or mexican food. I usually have a lot of strong flavors going in either of those two things, so a lot of cilantro is loving awesome and not overpowering.

But I have also made salads with a fair amount of cilantro in it so there is that. I love that poo poo.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

geetee posted:

God drat it. It's the second time my small lunch group at work has gotten random metal in our food from the local Indian spot. I feel like a battered woman who doesn't want to report her boyfriend. Gotta do it... Sorry old friend.

This happened to me when I was a kid, there was a bit of metal in my salad. It was a mom & pop place where the mom was the waiter so she started apologizing profusely and gave us free stuff (we went there a bunch so maybe that had something to do with it). So what I'm trying to say is you should tell someone to reduce the chances of metal in the future.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Eeyo posted:

This happened to me when I was a kid, there was a bit of metal in my salad. It was a mom & pop place where the mom was the waiter so she started apologizing profusely and gave us free stuff (we went there a bunch so maybe that had something to do with it). So what I'm trying to say is you should tell someone to reduce the chances of metal in the future.

This too is a mom and pop place. I've been going there for 5+ years with no issues until a couple months ago. My buddy had a whole loving screw in his saag! Similar story: lots of apologies and free food. poo poo happens, and nobody got hurt, so we gave them a pass. This time around I got a chunk of cast iron (lip of a pan I think) in my vegetable curry (and mouth). I wasn't really chewing with any force, so fortunately no damage.

I feel bad reporting them through official channels, but is that the appropriate course of action? At the very least I'm going to send the owner a picture and tell them I don't want any free stuff because I'm done eating their otherwise delicious food.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm at a sort of loss for cooking vegetables like broccoli, brusslesprouts, green beans, and carrots recently

I've settled on a high oven - 425-450ish usually, and tossing them in plenty of olive oil, salt, pepper, and usually garlic. spices also depending on mood. I trend on indian - so usually a little cumin, fennel, black mustard seed.

I'll cook broccoli until it's pretty deeply brown and getting withered, brusslesprouts a little less so, and I usually do green beans in a blazing pan with a little chicken stock - so same effect just not in an oven. gets all brown and charry, stock fries up into little crispy salty bits, it's amazing.

I like this style so much that I think I may have become obsessed with it, but I'm basically just caramelizing everything. I'm worried I've sunk into a one-note funk - if I don't do it that way, I'm usually either pureeing or blanching into an ice water bath. what do you guys do with your veggies that you like a lot?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
argh just typing that made me want to fire up my oven and roast some vegetables :(

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I'm at a sort of loss for cooking vegetables like broccoli, brusslesprouts, green beans, and carrots recently

I've settled on a high oven - 425-450ish usually, and tossing them in plenty of olive oil, salt, pepper, and usually garlic. spices also depending on mood. I trend on indian - so usually a little cumin, fennel, black mustard seed.

I'll cook broccoli until it's pretty deeply brown and getting withered, brusslesprouts a little less so, and I usually do green beans in a blazing pan with a little chicken stock - so same effect just not in an oven. gets all brown and charry, stock fries up into little crispy salty bits, it's amazing.

I like this style so much that I think I may have become obsessed with it, but I'm basically just caramelizing everything. I'm worried I've sunk into a one-note funk - if I don't do it that way, I'm usually either pureeing or blanching into an ice water bath. what do you guys do with your veggies that you like a lot?

I usually conserve some in a court bullion - just give them a quick steaming in the court bullion, and then let them cool in there - will keep for a weekish, and is good with sandwiches, or reheated as a side..

Then there's starting to confit'ing them (low and slow) in olive oil (a bit of balsamico is good too)... That works better for onions, tomatoes, peppers and garlic than for broccoli though - good results can be made with busselsprouts.

Then there's the puddle... Carrots at 75*c (can't remember the temperature, it might have been 80) for 1hr in butter with bay leaf, salt and thyme is awesome! Lots and lots and lots of flavour, while still having a crunch..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mindphlux posted:

argh just typing that made me want to fire up my oven and roast some vegetables :(

If you were a banjo, you would only have one string?

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

mindphlux posted:

Bruss are delicious braised with pork, treated more or less like cabbage (slaw is a neat application,) and my restaurant deep-fries them briefly (causing lots of grease to be sprayed all over) and then dresses them with balsamic reduction and dried cranberries; we also have dressed them with a red wine vinaigrette.

I like a lightly sautéed green bean with prosciutto and almonds. Carrots, I almost always glaze—most recently with honey, lime, and tangerine juice. I can't stand broccoli, but I don't know that I've ever seen it done as anything but raw, blanched florets, or roasted florets (though you can tourné the stems for fun I'm told.)

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Brussels sprouts are real good sliced thin and sauteed very quickly in a little butter or bacon fat with blanched almonds. Season them however you like based on your main or keep it simple with just a little salt and pepper. Really good either way and I need to make the time to actually cook sometime soon. They also make good sauerkraut and are great for slaw, like battlemonk said above me.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Happy Hat posted:

If you were a banjo, you would only have one string?

I love you hh and want to come stay in your glorious compound so I can listen to everything you have to say all the time.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Broccoli is good stir-fried with other vegetables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

dino. posted:

I love you hh and want to come stay in your glorious compound so I can listen to everything you have to say all the time.

You will always be welcome! Seriously!

Did you get any mail yet?