Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Apparently it is national henka day. gently caress that. Way to pull your finger out of the dam, Aran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Just Winging It posted:

Also, Baruto didn't even look as if he was trying today. Probably because he hasn't fully healed just yet but still, being shoved out like this is just pathetic.

Maybe he wasn't. If he doesn't want to risk further injury in a match he is likely to lose, just go out easy and try hard against more favorable odds?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Super blatant by Aran yesterday, but his throw today on a gigantic human being was awesome.

Re: Baruto, hate the game, not the player.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RCxOiBJF90

Comments to follow.

E: What the hell happened in that Okinoumi-Aoiyama match?

Ikioi-Gagamaru was the poo poo.

Baruto :black101:

Kisenosato by the skin of his teeth!

That possible Harumafuji leg injury could be the storyline of this basho.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 23, 2013

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Ikioi - Gagamaru was a great match very spirited

Baruto was taking no prisoners there, hopefully he can win out!

Harumafuji won well but I really hope he's not injured, that would really be lame he had gotten into form from the after the first 3 days and looks great. Hopefully it's nothing serious,

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Another strong performance there by Tochinoshin.

Pushing Gigamaru out is no small feat by itself, doing it like Ikioi did is especially nice.

Baruto, goddamn, keeping the hope alive. Or rather, resuscitate it :v:.

Harumafuji gave another powerful performance today, hopefully the injury isn't that bad. It would be a major downer if an injury were to end up deciding this tournament.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Harumafuji seems plagued by injuries. I remember after his first yusho leading up to his yokozuna promotion, he said in an interview that his prior performances were due to a long string of repeated injuries, but now that he was better he was going to try and do his best. He's definitely proven that he's amazing when uninjured, so I hope he was just being cautious and not actually suffering from anything serious.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i really hope baruto can win out but right now i'm not that optimistic, 4 wins in a row is a lot for a guy who's been laboring. i miss his ridiculous tsuridashis.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Some great action today! What did I say about Kotooshu - dude is always involved in the most hellacious crash landings. Harumafuji took him out WWF style. I was surprised that he was the one limping after that as opposed to Kotooshu.

If Harumafuji is hurt to any degree, all of a sudden Kisenosato is a valid dark horse for the yusho. He has the best chance out of anyone in the tournament to beat Hakuho other than Harumafuji at 100%, and if Harumafuji starts losing a couple of the last 4, we could have 3 at 12-3 to finish the basho.

Really rooting for Kise - it'd be awesome for the sport to finally have another Japanese yokozuna and he is about the only one who has any potential unless Myogiryu goes on a tear. Giku just doesn't have yokozuna stuff.

E: He had a pretty ridiculous uwatenage against Shohozan earlier iirc, that might as well have been a tsuridashi. Just threw him out of the ring.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 23, 2013

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Speculating on possible future Japanese yokozuna is a bit premature I think, it's only been 7 years since the last Japanese yusho. Otherwise, I pretty much agree with your assessment. Speaking of yokozuna, former yokozuna and record 32-times tournament winner Taiho died a couple of days ago.

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biUatuDCwDI.

Myogiryu v Tochinoshin, highlight of the day in terms of entertainment value.

Hakuho dropping the ball against Kotooshu might just be what decides the tournament, especially now that Harumafuji beat Kotoshogiku without much effort.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 24, 2013

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Two matches in a row Kisenosato just barely manages to pull it out. Looking forward to tomorrow's matchup with Harumafuji.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

anakha posted:

Two matches in a row Kisenosato just barely manages to pull it out. Looking forward to tomorrow's matchup with Harumafuji.

Harumafuji looks fairly unbeatable at this point, looks like his knee is in good nick

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Harumafuji looks fairly unbeatable at this point, looks like his knee is in good nick

Like I said with Baruto, leg injuries especially knee injuries are tricky. One wrong step and it could be full blown terrible. That said, I'm glad Harumafuji did well and I hope it was nothing more than a little sore.

Baruto closing in on a return to Ozeki, I'm rooting for him!

I'm surprised at Hakuho there! That could pretty much wrap it up barring catastrophe for Harumafuji.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Funkysauce posted:

azan
Like I said with Baruto, leg injuries especially knee injuries are tricky. One wrong step and it could be full blown terrible. That said, I'm glad Harumafuji did well and I hope it was nothing more than a little sore.

Baruto closing in on a return to Ozeki, I'm rooting for him!

I'm surprised at Hakuho there! That could pretty much wrap it up barring catastrophe for Harumafuji.

Lower limb injuries seem like they would be a massive problem - all the high risk signs in place - big dudes with an incentive to 'play on' instead of taking the time to recover. What are the most common career ending injuries?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Great matches today, but I don't think Harumafuji is uninjured. Look at the way he squats before the tachiai. He's way more careful than normal. Obviously, he has a huge incentive to keep on through his injury for just a couple more matches, and I hope he can pull it off without injuring himself further.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
big mistake by hakuho trying the pulldown so close to the edge against such a tall guy... however even if it had been successful, would have been a hansoku dq. totally blatant hair pull.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

seorin posted:

Great matches today, but I don't think Harumafuji is uninjured. Look at the way he squats before the tachiai. He's way more careful than normal. Obviously, he has a huge incentive to keep on through his injury for just a couple more matches, and I hope he can pull it off without injuring himself further.

He may just be building things up a little more than usual, milking the tension a bit. You'd think Kotoshogiku's knees would have disintegrated by now with how slow he does his squat at the end, if a slow squat was indicative of a hurting knee.

Looks like this basho belongs to Harumafuji, unless Kisenosato and Hakuho both take him out. Very possible.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Harumfuji didn't really put a lot of force into the bout today, I'm not gonna judge yet.

Kotooshu flew out in spectacular fashion yet again.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JykZym_vJmo

shame i never got to see much of takamisakari in makuuchi, hope he enjoys his retirement
really disappointed that baruto won't remain ozeki, but maybe now that the pressure is off a little bit he can kind of lay back and wait to get to full health and then make a solid run to get back there. another silver lining is takayasu's win, he's still pretty young and although i've never seen him as someone who could potentially reach greater heights he's been very impressive this time around. always nice to have possible future ozeki contenders... i don't know if this basho alone proves he's in that echelon but it's a start
aran and goeido was fantastic. not much else to say about that one. a pleasure to watch.
certainly didn't see any indication that harumafuji is still hurting today. i'm rooting for another zensho yusho at this point.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Aran vs Goeido is definitely match of the basho so far! So nice they showed it twice!

I agree with a false's take on Baruto. Now that there's no shot at Ozeki this time around he can take it slow with that leg.

Harumafuji looked good today so maybe it was just a bit of a knock but he'll clinch with a win tomorrow anyway so he may take his foot of the gas just in case.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Aran v Goeido makes up for his henka relapse earlier in the basho.

While Baruto's loss may have ended his hopes for a speedy repromotion, I don't think it's that bad of a deal in the long run. Now he can focus on healing up, maybe skip the March tournament if necessary, and return to prime :black101:-condition in May. All the barely-healed/semi-injured soldiering on he did in this and the previous basho won't have done him much good anyway.

Takayasu's performance is quite nice, he's quite young to boot and might be going places. At the very least, it'll give him something else to stand out besides the fact that he's the only one in Makuuchi that doesn't have an actual shikona.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Lots of great stuff in the middle with the maegashira trying to lock in their 8, but the final matches were kinda :negative: with Kisenosato now out of the running, Baruto ending on a whimper, and easy victories for Harumafuji and Hakuho.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I am pretty sad for Baruto. What a lovely thing to happen after he was doing so well this time last year. Hopefully he heals up and makes another Ozeki run. He's still doing quite well for being obviously injured.

Regarding Takayasu, I'm not that impressed just yet. He has done very well this tournament, but a lot of different rikishi have had an unusually good tournament every now and then. I expect him to be one of those guys that suddenly gets promoted way too high and gets slapped down in a hurry, not unlike Shohozan this tournament (though I had higher hopes for him).

Goeido vs Aran was loving amazing, though.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i think shohozan still has a lot of good sumo ahead of him, he just got away from what works for him this tournament. he'll be back in the sanyaku ranks before long if he can ramp his tsuppari game back up.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8zNuEa_waY

Comments to follow.

I love seeing new finishing techniques - Tokitenkuu's nimaigeri was pretty awesome.

Shoutenrou's balancing act :allears:

Really, really nice performance in this tournament overall by Takayasu.

And Harumafuji takes it! Kakuryuu did really well fending off the first bulldoze attempt, though.

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 26, 2013

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
All those kicking attempts by Tokitenku finally paid off today. Only the tenth time this kimarite was used in the last 50 years of Makuuchi, three of them now his.

Aminishiki breaks Kotooshu's monopoly on death-defying crashes by defeating Toyohibiki like that.

Shohozan finally gets another win in, but he's still quite a bit short of where he could have been if he'd been really on top of his game. Looking back at previous basho's he really should've done better given that he's been up against mostly the same sanyaku rikishi since July.

The tournament might have been decided, tomorrow should have some interesting matches with Harumafuji trying to get a zensho yusho against and a bunch guys with a 7-7 record.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
a few really entertaining matches today, including the tournament clincher. great resilience by kakuryu, i think that effort would have beaten anyone other than harumafuji. i'm pulling hard for his third zensho yusho in 4 tournaments tomorrow, hard to say how it will go though. no matter how good harumafuji has looked you can't count hakuho out.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Quick day 15 comment: Sumo judges are blind, dumb and fat.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgTuVKDDQtQ

Holy gently caress, I'm exhausted after that Takanoyama match.

Goddammit, Aran :argh:

Aminishiki just escapes with a win there.

That Goueidou-Tochinoshin finish was 'unstoppable force meets immovable object' there for a while.

Zensho yusho for Harumafuji! :neckbeard:

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 27, 2013

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Tochinoshin continues to impress me with that kind of sumo. Luckily for us, Goeido could counter it with more of the same.

Harumafuji cinches the zensho yusho in style. It's not often that Hakuho gets bowled off the dohyo like that.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

My kachi-kochi for the tournament in terms of my personal like\dislike - Harumafuji, Tochinoshin, Tokitenkuu, Aminishiki, Ikioi
Make-kochi - Shouhouzan, Kotoshogiku, Okinoumi, Yoshikaze, Myogiryu (has to do better than that or he'll just pingpong around the upper maegashira)
Everyone else about the same opinion as I started with - not going to judge Baruto or Masunoyama given their conditions.

Hell of a basho. Couple of kadobans avoided at the end, but also a couple of Ozeki dreams dashed. The deck seems to be getting reshuffled a bit, but doesn't appear to be any big drama or anticipation going into the next basho.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
And Takamisakari gets a win to close out his career. :unsmith:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

My kachi-kochi for the tournament in terms of my personal like\dislike - Harumafuji, Tochinoshin, Tokitenkuu, Aminishiki, Ikioi
Make-kochi - Shouhouzan, Kotoshogiku, Okinoumi, Yoshikaze, Myogiryu (has to do better than that or he'll just pingpong around the upper maegashira)
Everyone else about the same opinion as I started with - not going to judge Baruto or Masunoyama given their conditions.

Hell of a basho. Couple of kadobans avoided at the end, but also a couple of Ozeki dreams dashed. The deck seems to be getting reshuffled a bit, but doesn't appear to be any big drama or anticipation going into the next basho.

agreed on all counts but would add chiyotairyu to the kachi-koshi list - i think he's steadily improving and i think we'll see him get a crack at the sanyaku ranks before the year is out - how he does there is anyone's guess though.

speaking of the sanyaku ranks, it looks like they're already pretty much determined for next basho, with the sekiwake staying the same and aminishiki once again at komusubi. other than aminishiki, a lot of make-koshi at the top of the maegashira ranks, with ikioi at 5W the next highest maegashira with a winning record.

coming up from juryo, looks like we'll be seeing jokoryu, chiyonokuni, sagatsukasa, and maybe sotairyu. i'd like to see jokoryu stick around this time.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2DP467Tm8s

Araibira recently released a Takanoyama highlights video. Lots of fun matches.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Supradog posted:

I just came. What exciting matches. He loving demolished Kaisei around the halfway point, more convincingly than I've seen any Ozeki beat him, even.

Also, he was totally cupping the 3rd or 4th rikishi's balls.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Supradog posted:

So how good do you guys suppose Takanoyama would be if he was average size for a rikishi? Is his lack of size holding him back, or has it allowed him to get higher up than he would have otherwise?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

dupersaurus posted:

So how good do you guys suppose Takanoyama would be if he was average size for a rikishi? Is his lack of size holding him back, or has it allowed him to get higher up than he would have otherwise?

Some of the guys can throw him around way too easily, so I'd say it's holding him back a little. He could add another 15kg and still be quick and agile enough to keep up his shenanigans.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 30, 2013

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gibbo posted:

Some of the guys can throw him around way too easily, so I'd say it's holding him back a little. He could add another 15kg and still be quick and agile enough to keep up his shenanigans.
Yeah, absolutely. Terao, who was maybe the most successful rikishi never to make to Ozeki in the last generation or two (seriously, look at this record), spent 15 years continuous years in the makuuchi without ever being heavier than 115kg. Someone with Takanoyama's skills could do something similar.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009

Supradog posted:

This is why I love this thread. I don't keep up with things as much as I should and I just watch the Kintayamaya and JasoninJapan videos, so I love to check up and see things like this!

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
mother of god, that move he makes that's shown in slo-mo around the 1:30 mark, holding onto his opponent and swinging out of the ring without touching down... that is just mindblowing.