Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

xamphear posted:

Now that there's support for h.264 (on Windows) is there some trick to getting YouTube to use the html5 player whenever possible? I joined the html5 trial but it didn't seem to have any impact at all. I still get "click to enable flash" when watching a video.

YouTube will always use the Flash player if the video has ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Install Gentoo posted:

What versions enable that h.264 support, or how can I check if what I'm using now does?

20.0+, and make sure media.windows-media-foundation.enabled is set to true.

EDIT: Oh, and you need Win7+ for now. If you're on Vista, then 1) :lol: and 2) it doesn't work yet (but it will eventually).

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 29, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

20.0+, and make sure media.windows-media-foundation.enabled is set to true.

EDIT: Oh, and you need Win7+ for now. If you're on Vista, then 1) :lol: and 2) it doesn't work yet (but it will eventually).

What about XP, or will I not get Firefox H.264 on my work laptop for another couple of years?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
XP doesn't have Media Foundation, so your Firefox on your laptop won't be able to take advantage of it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Are there any extensions around that will allow me to hit a hotkey and remove all chrome (possibly including the titlebar) from the browser window without fullscreening?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Install Gentoo posted:

What versions enable that h.264 support, or how can I check if what I'm using now does?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mozilla-firefox-browsers-h264-video,20012.html

quote:

The upcoming Firefox 20 for Windows will include a Windows Media Foundation playback backend that will enable the browser to support H.264, AAC, and MP3.

The feature is currently integrated in the nightly builds of the browser, but not enabled by default.

While the addition only affects the Windows version of Firefox, Mozilla said that the feature allows Firefox to play H.264 video, as well as AAC audio in MP4 and M4A files, and MP3 audio files without having to rely on third-party plug-ins.

To enable the backend, enter about :config in the URL bar and change the entry "media.windows-media-foundation.enabled" to "true". The nightly build can be downloaded here.

TL;DR: FF 20

[edit]
Oops, there was another page of posts....

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I have read up on this thread with all the font rendering issues, but I keep having this problem for the past 2 months. I have tried to reset the browser, ran it in the safe mode, completely uninstalled & reinstalled Firefox, removed all addons, changed values in :config, and yet I still have this problem.

When I load Firefox, there are many sites that render the font like this. It seems to happen mostly in comment areas but also in the WYSIWYG editor for Wordpress. Here is how it will initially render (sorry for the content, it was the first instance I could find):

Everything looks normal. However, after a few page refreshes, this is how it looks:

I don't know what is causing this bolding of the font, but it keeps coming back. This is on Firefox 18.0.1. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

edit: just realized that my images are terrible, but you can make out how bold the bottom version is. Sorry about that, didn't want to break tables.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 30, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I have read up on this thread with all the font rendering issues, but I keep having this problem for the past 2 months. I have tried to reset the browser, ran it in the safe mode, completely uninstalled & reinstalled Firefox, removed all addons, changed values in :config, and yet I still have this problem.
What operating system, what videocard, and have you installed the latest video drivers?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Alereon posted:

What operating system, what videocard, and have you installed the latest video drivers?

Sorry about that.

Window 7 Home Premium 64 SP1/8gb RAM, card is Intel Media Accelerator HD (Core I5). And yes, everything is up to date (aside from my wifi drivers as the most recent one disables the ability to use Intel Mifi/WiDi).

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

When I load Firefox, there are many sites that render the font like this. It seems to happen mostly in comment areas but also in the WYSIWYG editor for Wordpress. Here is how it will initially render (sorry for the content, it was the first instance I could find):

Everything looks normal. However, after a few page refreshes, this is how it looks:

I don't know what is causing this bolding of the font, but it keeps coming back. This is on Firefox 18.0.1. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

edit: just realized that my images are terrible, but you can make out how bold the bottom version is. Sorry about that, didn't want to break tables.

This trick worked for me:

my stepdads beer posted:

All you font issue bros:
code:
    gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled: true;
    gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.use_gdi_table_loading: false;
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_max_size: 6;
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_for_families: ''; (delete the string)
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode: 5;
edit: if you're on windows

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

WastedJoker posted:

This trick worked for me:

I tried that, no dice.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I tried that, no dice.
This really does sound like a graphics driver issue. To confirm, you have the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers from the Intel website, right?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Alereon posted:

This really does sound like a graphics driver issue. To confirm, you have the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers from the Intel website, right?

Must have been a driver issue. I was up to date with drivers but it seems like a graphics driver was out of date. This laptop has the WiDi on it and when I had previously updated, it killed the WiDi connection. Fonts seem to be rendering proper now, sorry for wasting everyone's time on this.

edit: once again, the issue is still there upon reboot. And yes all drivers are up to date.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 1, 2013

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

WastedJoker posted:

Cheers.

The menu bar is not quite right when not maximized but it's a big improvement!

Stratiform! Same author, more options.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/stratiform/

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
The latest messenger update did something to my firefox 18.0.1. Now every time I start after booting the computer, it switches to the default firefox skin instead of nautopolis, forgets the yahoo homepage I have it set for, and all default options are reset; including using hardware acceleration which causes it to crash constantly. Also opening any tab gets this error

Firefox can't find the server at https://www.[r;;iåvÞyevq¾qîx»òki.com.

Anyone have any ideas? Using XP by the way.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Rabidredneck posted:

The latest messenger update did something to my firefox 18.0.1. Now every time I start after booting the computer, it switches to the default firefox skin instead of nautopolis, forgets the yahoo homepage I have it set for, and all default options are reset; including using hardware acceleration which causes it to crash constantly. Also opening any tab gets this error

Firefox can't find the server at https://www.[r;;iåvÞyevq¾qîx»òki.com.

Anyone have any ideas? Using XP by the way.
Follow the instructions in the OP to use the Reset Firefox function.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Alright, tried it. After the reset, I installed a new theme, found most of the addon's I used before and set the options to how I like them. After rebooting the system, Firefox STILL..

1. switches back to it's default theme even tho the new theme says it's enabled. I manually have to switch to default, restart firefox, then enable the new theme and restart firefox again to get it to look how I want.

2. forgets the homepage I told it to use so I manually have to set it there again.

3. resets defaults so I manually have to turn off hardware accel so it doesn't start crashing every 30 minutes or so.

I wish I could figure out why it suddenly starting acting up like this after messenger got updated to skype. I can't find anything through searching that relates to this problem.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rabidredneck posted:

Alright, tried it. After the reset, I installed a new theme, found most of the addon's I used before and set the options to how I like them. After rebooting the system, Firefox STILL..

1. switches back to it's default theme even tho the new theme says it's enabled. I manually have to switch to default, restart firefox, then enable the new theme and restart firefox again to get it to look how I want.

2. forgets the homepage I told it to use so I manually have to set it there again.

3. resets defaults so I manually have to turn off hardware accel so it doesn't start crashing every 30 minutes or so.

I wish I could figure out why it suddenly starting acting up like this after messenger got updated to skype. I can't find anything through searching that relates to this problem.

Try uninstalling it and going to C:\Users\yourName\AppData folder and burning down anything related to Mozilla in the various folders (double check to make sure nothing is left in Program Files too). I had this problem with a workplace desktop image and this + reinstalling was the only thing that fixed it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

If something keeps changing your homepage, isn't it time to start looking at possible malware infestation? maybe scanning the system with a bootable antivirus USB stick or CD?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Homepage / search engine constant changes are most likely malware.

Run a full scan of Malwarebytes and see what it finds. I bet you it will find something.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

WastedJoker posted:

What's the name of that tool which removes unwanted locales info from your extensions?

It was two .exe files (one for 7zip.exe, or something) which you placed in your extensions folder and it went through your extensions, unzipping them to remove the locales then re-zipping them.

I've been googling for this thing for ages :( I first came across it on a korean website. The exe. name is something like hotfixest.exer or something. My memory lets me down again.

Finally found this motherf...

http://www.techgravy.net/tip-speed-up-firefox-and-decrease-page-loading-time/

It basically removes all the locale info from your extensions/jar files then re-zips them up.

Some extensions don't like it - they'll show as "incompatible" after you've used this tool but a simple update of add-ons "fixes" it. Themes will also need re-enabling after running the tool.

It's not worth running if you only use 3/4 extensions but if you're a heavy extension user, it does make a difference.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

jeeves posted:

Homepage / search engine constant changes are most likely malware.

Run a full scan of Malwarebytes and see what it finds. I bet you it will find something.

Ran Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, and Avira. They all found stuff and deleted them, but Firefox still keeps reverting stuff after a system reboot.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Rabidredneck posted:

Ran Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, and Avira. They all found stuff and deleted them, but Firefox still keeps reverting stuff after a system reboot.
I'd suggest uninstalling Avira first (non-Microsoft AV programs cause system problems) and running scans with ComboFix and Windows Defender Offline. If you still have problems, make a backup of your Firefox profile, uninstall Firefox, delete all profile remnants, update your video drivers, reboot, clean install Firefox, and restore the profile data you want to keep.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Also disable the Java browser plugin, not sure if you actually have it installed, it's just a hunch.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
18.0.2 is out.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's just a Facebook crash fix, if you don't use Facebook there is no reason to update, also v19 is right around the corner.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
How can I tell Firefox to start with the Speed-Dial (or whatever they call it)? I only see options for blank page or page x.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

midnightclimax posted:

How can I tell Firefox to start with the Speed-Dial (or whatever they call it)? I only see options for blank page or page x.

Set it to show homepage and set the homepage to about :newtab

But yeah, it's weird there is currently no option for it.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Sereri posted:

Set it to show homepage and set the homepage to about :newtab

But yeah, it's weird there is currently no option for it.

Works like a charm, thanks. And yeah, I agree it's weird.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
How can I get all my settings, preferences, bookmarks, that sort of thing, from Firefox on my old computer to my new computer? Is that what sync is used for or is that just for mobile devices?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Outpost22 posted:

How can I get all my settings, preferences, bookmarks, that sort of thing, from Firefox on my old computer to my new computer? Is that what sync is used for or is that just for mobile devices?

Sync does that between desktop clients too. Just go to sync on the new machine from the start page.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Outpost22 posted:

MozBackup should work for this as well.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What I tend to do is export my bookmarks to a bookmark.html file, then export my saved passwords via PasswordExporter addon.

Then I just rebuild my profile, and manually re-add my extensions (only use half a dozen or so), and redo my bookmarks and passwords from those exported files.

The benefit of this is that you have a fresh profile, as it seems Firefox likes having a new profile after a year or two of use.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

jeeves posted:

What I tend to do is export my bookmarks to a bookmark.html file, then export my saved passwords via PasswordExporter addon.

Then I just rebuild my profile, and manually re-add my extensions (only use half a dozen or so), and redo my bookmarks and passwords from those exported files.

The benefit of this is that you have a fresh profile, as it seems Firefox likes having a new profile after a year or two of use.

Why not use the automatic method in about :support?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

xamphear posted:

Why not use the automatic method in about :support?

Because to be honest I've been using Firefox for so long they didn't have that poo poo before so I forget it is there. :dog:

Also I was talking about exporting stuff to a new computer, not just rebuilding a profile.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What is the best anti-tracking cookie addon? Beef Taco, Ghostery's cookie protection, or something else?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

NihilCredo posted:

What is the best anti-tracking cookie addon? Beef Taco, Ghostery's cookie protection, or something else?

Just disabling 3rd party cookies in the settings will get you almost 90% of the way there. Ghostery does block tracking cookies, yes, but is more about blocking tracking via images/javascript/etc.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

NihilCredo posted:

RequestPolicy hands down, RequestPolicy blocks all cross-site bug requests by default, unlike Ghostery and Co that uses blacklists to filter. The downside to it's very comprehensive permission controls is that for many it's a large learning curve, so prepare yourself to spend some time teaching it through whitelists like you needed to do with NoScript.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/requestpolicy/

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Huh. I'm actually already using RequestPolicy, but since Ghostery is still giving me regular "Adcrapsite blocked" notifications I was assuming RP only handled content embedded in the page itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is there a specific reason that people have moved too chrome? Or is it just personal preference?

I have chrome but I don't really see the difference on a browsing level, also ff seems to have more interesting add ons?