Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

genderstomper58 posted:

Moses you seen this one yet???

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=037_1359110266

Dude blows his own head off with an RPG, NWS obviously

Did the warhead just immediately detonate on launch or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
So...what's with loading that fucker like a musket?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

So...what's with loading that fucker like a musket?
Weak attempt at cleaning it I guess.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

AB posted:

How the gently caress did that happen?

Just a guess here but I think he might have forgotten that although the sights were clear, the wall in front of him was obstructing the path of the munition?

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
Looked like he had the barrel over the wall and it didn't show a lot of debris flying so I don't think it hit the wall. At least not the one he was standing right behind. Looks like the round just cooked off instantly. Though I have no experience with RPGs so I'm not sure if that is something that they can actually do.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Best screenshot I could get. I'm not sure if the launcher split or if this is a result of low framrate.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/Ytd2nCU.png:nws:

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

hazza posted:

Just a guess here but I think he might have forgotten that although the sights were clear, the wall in front of him was obstructing the path of the munition?

Even then, the warhead shouldn't activate until well after that.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Triggs posted:

Even then, the warhead has an arming distance well beyond that.

Spitballing here since I know zero about RPGs, could whatever propels the RPG have blown up right out of the tube?

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
lol at that. some martyr he is :rolleye: (the beginning text calls him a martyr)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

genderstomper58 posted:

Spitballing here since I know zero about RPGs, could whatever propels the RPG have blown up right out of the tube?

That's kind of what I was thinking. The damage is right at his neck.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
From the appearance of the injury, it looks as if the recoil from the launch forced the tube to his neck, ripping his head from his torso.

Someone should have learnt him better.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Ima be so mad if that vid is old news to 'Moses!!!!!

Seriously though Idk if you'd answered it before but is what you do just a hobby or what? Just curious :shobon:

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
I rate that RPG was booby trapped and "passed along" to rebel forces.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Abandon All Hope posted:

From the appearance of the injury, it looks as if the recoil from the launch forced the tube to his neck, ripping his head from his torso.

Someone should have learnt him better.

I thought there wasn't any recoil on RPGs? I was under the impression they belonged to the 'recoilless' category, like AT-4s.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Admiral Bosch posted:

I thought there wasn't any recoil on RPGs? I was under the impression they belonged to the 'recoilless' category, like AT-4s.

Yes it is considered recoilless, but in this particular case I think he meant the recoil produced when the warhead blew up in the tube.

EDIT: DERP

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 29, 2013

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

GyverMac posted:

Yes it is considered recoilless, but in this particular case I think he meant the recoil produced when the warhead blew up in the chamber.

The warhead isn't it the chamber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KOcuzHJSAE

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

genderstomper58 posted:

Ima be so mad if that vid is old news to 'Moses!!!!!

Seriously though Idk if you'd answered it before but is what you do just a hobby or what? Just curious :shobon:

I saw it last night just as I was heading to bed, I was going to look around for the original version to see if it was in HD.

I started the blog as a hobby, just to write up stuff I was seeing online for future reference in internet arguments, and at first just focusing on the UK phone hacking scandal with a bit of Syria stuff. Then I discovered 100's of Youtube channels from Syria with all sorts of footage like that, and ended up reviewing each one everyday. Currently I've got about 500 channels listed.

What happened then is I started to spot stuff that was overlooked in the mainstream media, probably because journalists don't have all day to go OCD over Youtube videos, but so that led to me being the first person to write about various aspects of the conflict, such as the first use of a variety of weapons, including cluster bombs, incendiary bombs, and grad cluster rockets; executions performed by the opposition, and very recently evidence of weapons being smuggled to the opposition in vast quantities.

That's led to me making lots of contacts with journalists, researcher, human rights activists, etc, which has in turn led to me being interviewed and featured in a variety of media outlets (some of which are listed here), including the New York Times, NPR, France 24, CNN, Christian Science Monitor, Wired, and other titles. I've also written a couple of articles for Foreign Policy Magazine's website on the weapons used by the Syrian opposition.

Currently I'm doing a bit of part time consultancy work for Human Rights Watch, gathering video evidence of cluster bomb use in Syria (around 400 videos so far), and cataloging them, as well as helping UNMAS out with their UXO education project in Syria. I've also got one (and maybe more) pieces lined up with the New York Times' At War blog, a series of interviews for ITN's new online news section where I'll be talking about the weapons used in Syria, and a few other things on the go.

So in summary I accidentally became a world authority on the weapons used in the Syrian conflict.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Oh ok Now that you said that I think I remember you explaining it before. Are you getting paid by these folks/trying to start a career out of it? Pretty neat either way :)

Also please tell me caro is in prison

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What I mean is, I don't know what happened, but it looks like there WAS recoil, perhaps from not cleaning it enough and it getting temporarily stuck in the tube or something.

I honestly think that it was somehow forced to the mans jaw, and the upward motion simply peeled his head from his neck.

That injury looks like a tear from his left to his right of his neck. The head is dangling by flesh on his right side. He had the RPG shouldered on the left.

EDIT- He doesn't appear to have any burn damage either.

Abandon All Hope fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 27, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

genderstomper58 posted:

Oh ok Now that you said that I think I remember you explaining it before. Are you getting paid by these folks/trying to start a career out of it? Pretty neat either way :)

Some stuff pays, not enough to make it a full time thing, not yet anyway.

Last I heard of Caro he was back in the US after failing to reach Syria from Turkey. Our last conversation involved him calling me a "CIA drone", I've not heard from him since.

stevenolson88
Sep 30, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

ACUs after swamp phase in Ranger school.

Was the Weaver as much fun as I remember?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

genderstomper58 posted:

While Caro is most definitely crazy, a lot of his exploits in Libya were nothing like how the rumor-mill on SA spun them into. Turns out he was never running around performing unlicensed surgery, more of unlicensed medic-ing/nursing. Remember: SA loves to take things out of context and spin them up until it's unrecognizable (ask me how I know!).

Brown Moses posted:

Last I heard of Caro he was back in the US after failing to reach Syria from Turkey. Our last conversation involved him calling me a "CIA drone", I've not heard from him since.
His last PM to me was something like "Oh god, the CIA got to you, too!" and he stopped talking to me after that. Guess that's a trend with him when people try to help him get help.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 27, 2013

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Well, there are videos of him actively partaking in combat actions (like spotting for an amateur sniper and then shooting at buildings himself or something along those lines), if I recall correctly?

But to get back on topic: Regarding that RPG explosion, my money is on deteriorated propellant, resulting in an explosion of the first stage charge outwards, rupturing the tube and causing the injury as opposed to a controlled combustion that would normally propel the head a few feet outwards before the ignition of the rocket motor.

A belgian friend of mine in EOD had a story about the disposal of expired DM-22 propellant sections and rocket motors (without the explosive charges) from the old german Panzerfaust 44 and when "screwing around" (:psyduck:), they noticed that charges with signs of corrosion would occasionally explode rather than launch out of their makeshift rails/tubes due to moisture seeping in over the years and changing the composition of the propellant in a way that would plug up the rear end, preventing a controlled dissipation of pressure.
They were surprised by the punch them little fuckers packed, not to mention the rocket motors.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well, there are videos of him actively partaking in combat actions (like spotting for an amateur sniper and then shooting at buildings himself or something along those lines), if I recall correctly?

But to get back on topic: Regarding that RPG explosion, my money is on deteriorated propellant, resulting in an explosion of the first stage charge outwards, rupturing the tube and causing the injury as opposed to a controlled combustion that would normally propel the head a few feet outwards before the ignition of the rocket motor.

A belgian friend of mine in EOD had a story about the disposal of expired DM-22 propellant sections and rocket motors (without the explosive charges) from the old german Panzerfaust 44 and when "screwing around" (:psyduck:), they noticed that charges with signs of corrosion would occasionally explode rather than launch out of their makeshift rails/tubes due to moisture seeping in over the years and changing the composition of the propellant in a way that would plug up the rear end, preventing a controlled dissipation of pressure.
They were surprised by the punch them little fuckers packed, not to mention the rocket motors.

That was my guess that there was a failure in the propellant mechanism and not something with the warhead.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Machine gun fire from military helicopters flying over downtown Miami Fl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri9ioCbqJCU

God I love youtube comments

arbedeel7 7 minutes ago
They are doing it to practice for when they herd up citizens who won't bow down to the fascist regime in office now!!! People who refuse to give up weapons for instance. It is going to get very ugly guys.

lnsk 35 minutes ago
Since when does the military do practice exercises over civilian cities? All of those bases and they do this with FIRING also? Think people! This is to SCARE YOU into submission and to get the troops use to firing on American citizens!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Solid-rocket motors can age poorly if not properly stored/maintained, which means you can develop cracks in the propellant grain. Then when the expanding front of the reaction hits and propagates along that crack, the increased surface area that's reacting means pressures go through the roof and your rocket can fail.

This is what happens if it's a big rocket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_aHEit-SqA

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

quote:

Get ready sheep, arm yourselves or be enslaved. The war is coming.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

I don't know why it doesn't want to show images for me but here are some awesome links to awesome guys doing awesome stuff:

http://imgur.com/Byftbze
http://imgur.com/cv4gt3n

iceslice fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 29, 2013

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What's up with the James Bond looking guy?

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
In the second picture one guy clearly has his pants unbloused, not very GODDAMN PROFESSIONAL.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Destro posted:

In the second picture one guy clearly has his pants unbloused, not very GODDAMN PROFESSIONAL.

He's a unicorn, the only leg in SF. :ssh:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

iceslice posted:

I don't know why it doesn't want to show images for me but here are some awesome links to awesome guys doing awesome stuff:

Yo mang when are you graduating?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Deathy McDeath posted:

Yo mang when are you graduating?

He already did! :)

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Some from my deployment.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

genderstomper58 posted:

He already did! :)

Woot Woot! PCSing in the next few months.

To stay on topic there are a few more images from GQ floating around, and between all of them I've spotted a few current instructors in the course. I know they've gotten a lot of poo poo for it, but the pictures didn't turn out bad and they're in a half-way decent magazine.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 29, 2013

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Leave it to the army to celebrate black history month in a completely un-ironic and appropriate way. :golfclap:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

"Front 5 rows reserved"

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
From Danish newspaper Politiken's web-page, here's a clip about a female sniper in Aleppo, Syria. Mother of two, former English teacher. The interview bits are in English, and they are also by far the most interesting part.

http://politiken.dk/poltv/nyheder/udland/ECE1883013/mor-til-to-og-snigskytte-slaar-ihjel-for-sine-boern/

Now, I'm no sniper, but are you supposed to be holding the rifle that way?

Mzuri fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 30, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Mzuri posted:

From Danish newspaper Politiken's web-page, here's a clip about a female sniper in Aleppo, Syria. Mother of two, former English teacher. The interview bits are in English, and they are also by far the most interesting part.

http://politiken.dk/poltv/nyheder/udland/ECE1883013/mor-til-to-og-snigskytte-slaar-ihjel-for-sine-boern/

Now, I'm no sniper, but are you supposed to be holding the rifle that way?

Having a scoped rifle does not make one a sniper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

iceslice posted:

Is that guy in the tux Sergeant Forum? It looks just like him.

• Locked thread