Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Croccers posted:

What type of console range are we look at here? PC as well?

Gamecube/Wii, Xbox 360, and PS1/PS2/PS3. If there are any PC-only ones, sure, I'd like to hear it. It may have to be run on blanktester's computer, and he may have to play it... :mmmhmm: but it could be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Howabout Airblade(ps2) and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland(360)* (Never mind about this one, forgot you didn't want to do any Tony Hawk games. I'm keeping it in because it may be outlandish enough, but I doubt that's the point :P)? Maybe a bit plot heavy, but the gameplay is pure grind-on-stuff-jump-over-things-and-things-happen. Also, both are hilariously overwrought.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 13, 2013

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ovues posted:

If there are any PC-only ones, sure, I'd like to hear it. It may have to be run on blanktester's computer, and he may have to play it... :mmmhmm: but it could be done.
Get him to play these 90's gems.
http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Sports-Arcade-Pc/dp/B00002S68E/ref=sr_1_2?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1358064628&sr=1-2&keywords=luge

http://www.amazon.com/Activision-21...e+rock+climbing
:psyboom: The drat thing was like, $10 AUD when it was released.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Motocross madness 2 or Insane
I know Those might be bit too repetitive, but they definitely do have a lot of soul

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Wtf? And they still want 45 dollars for the second one? Also, would they even run on Windows 7?

Also, Airblade looks pretty fun, and I might just get it to try it out. I either haven't heard of it or don't remember seeing it. Though that does remind me of another plot-driven game, one that takes place on a certain dark summit...

Just a Fish posted:

Motocross madness 2 or Insane
I know Those might be bit too repetitive, but they definitely do have a lot of soul

Insane? I can't find the game you're talking about, though I did look at Motocross Madness 2. SO many motorcycle games! What, was Excitebike 64 really really successful elsewhere?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If you think of one you want to see that's not posted, keep posting them, but I definitely have some new entries for this.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 13, 2013

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Aaah, sorry. i forgot how it was spelled.
This is the one i meant http://www.gamespot.com/1nsane/

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
What about the DC/PC game Trickstyle? That was alright from memory.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Just a Fish posted:

Aaah, sorry. i forgot how it was spelled.
This is the one i meant http://www.gamespot.com/1nsane/

spamman posted:

What about the DC/PC game Trickstyle? That was alright from memory.

I'll look at those games, and maybe I'll do them, maybe not, it depends on what I find at my local cheap used games store.

Just gonna make a quick post, it's Wakeboarding Unleashed time once again as we become the centerfold of Pro Wakeboarding Magazine! Also, you get to learn the secrets behind the code you never knew existed: the Insetik code.

Wakeboarding Unleashed Level 8: The Delta

Text Link

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

If you guys are forming a cult where you watch Days of Thunder, count me in. The world needs to know the glory of Cole Trickle :v:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ovues posted:

Wtf? And they still want 45 dollars for the second one? Also, would they even run on Windows 7?
The publisher is Activision.

Do these count as extreme sports?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVVEMYVWdls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLef0IdCvAI
I really can't think of too many early PC extreme sports games.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Just saw that the Motocross Madness games were made by the same studio that made Splashdown. They also did pretty much all of the MX vs. ATV games.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
I'll be drat, you're right. I always though it was made my microsoft games, but turns out they only published it

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I was at the game store and in the "M" aisle there were literally seven games that were "MX _______" so yeah I'm just gonna go with Freestyle Metal X. Of course I picked up 4 other games, so we're good for now.

Motorcycles, man. So many motorcycle games.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Just a Fish posted:

I'll be drat, you're right. I always though it was made my microsoft games, but turns out they only published it

I remember that Microsoft were pretty involved with it, because their Sidewinder controller with the tilt controls was packaged specifically with the Motocross Madness games. Sidewinder controllers were always the best pc controllers back in the day.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
It's going a bit against the title of the thread but would you consider a bonus episode with you two messing around with a Tony Hawk game level editor? Preferably one of the post THPS4 ones where the custom parts get ridiculous and you can set objectives. I love the park editor videos so far and seeing what Blanktester would make for something that flexible would be amazing.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Chemical Bastard posted:

It's going a bit against the title of the thread but would you consider a bonus episode with you two messing around with a Tony Hawk game level editor? Preferably one of the post THPS4 ones where the custom parts get ridiculous and you can set objectives. I love the park editor videos so far and seeing what Blanktester would make for something that flexible would be amazing.

Like maybe one of the Underground games? I played from THPS1 through Underground 2, but don't really remember the map editors in those. Maybe I should get them again, for my own sake, since for the last six months I apparently swore a vow to never play a popular game ever again.

Speaking of, :dance: Happy six-month anniversary, thread! :dance: Yaaay, my megathread is like super long-running now! Hmm, maybe I should open the games up to other people...

Yes yes it's been a bit of a wait for this video, but that's because I had to go get sound effects for this one. That's right, Imma sound effect guy now. One this episode, we visit a ship graveyard and open up prii...um...priy...primeval feelings in ourselves.

Wakeboarding Unleashed Level 9: The Boneyard

Text Link

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Was this the thing to do at the time? Like I remember Tony Hawk games had you driving around a leafblower or something, so this game ostensibly about wakeboarding has you throwing water balloons from the boat?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

Was this the thing to do at the time? Like I remember Tony Hawk games had you driving around a leafblower or something, so this game ostensibly about wakeboarding has you throwing water balloons from the boat?

I know the Tony Hawk series had "doing other things" become a big part of the game, but I don't think it was the case here. The developers probably just thought it would be a good idea. :downs: Which it probably was until it became Twitchy McCantaim.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I think blanktester missed the point of Army of Two. Namely, fistbumping and diamond plated guns. Because seriously, that game was a bro simulator like no other.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
So before college got back in session, blanktester and I got our spastic friend Tinker to commentate with us a bit, hoping hilarity ensued. Instead, only weirdness ensued, so just warning you now, before you click on that picture right below this.

Wakeboarding Unleashed Level 10: Timber Lake

Text Link

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
That was clearly the best episode yet.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

IntelligentCalcium posted:

That was clearly the best episode yet.

Okay good, he's also showing up next episode so if there's massive public backlash and blanktester and I need to redo next video, I'd love to know that ASAP. But if not, I dunno, like him on facebook/send letters to his house/stalk him/ask for his autograph.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Ovues posted:

So before college got back in session, blanktester and I got our spastic friend Tinker to commentate with us a bit, hoping hilarity ensued. Instead, only weirdness ensued, so just warning you now, before you click on that picture right below this.

Well, now we know who to blame the next time an embassy gets attacked. :(

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
There was a distinct lack of water in the level compared to the others. The whole star part was surprising and very improbably looking.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I gave up half way through the video.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Mr. Highway posted:

There was a distinct lack of water in the level compared to the others. The whole star part was surprising and very improbably looking.

Improbable to complete? Yeah, I was looking for a better way to collect them than what I did, but couldn't find one. I touch on that a bit in the next video. Unless it gets redone because...

Major_JF posted:

I gave up half way through the video.

I want to say "oh it's totally not bad after that interlude" but that doesn't exempt what came before it. I thought blanktester's reactions and my added "Technical Difficulties Break" could save it, and some people are fine with it. Tinker's a lot better in the next video, so I'll upload that with him in it, unless like 10 people come flying in here to tell me not to.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 24, 2013

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Ovues posted:

Improbable to complete? Yeah, I was looking for a better way to collect them than what I did, but couldn't find one. I touch on that a bit in the next video. Unless it gets redone because...

I just meant having a wake board glide around on dirt and metal with no apparent means of propulsion. Either friction doesn't exist or all the surfaces were oiled down. As for the collecting, I imagine there is probably a 'perfect' route that requires precise timing. With that, it is nice that the game designers let you tackle the challenge in a more open way.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Ovues posted:

I want to say "oh it's totally not bad after that interlude" but that doesn't exempt what came before it. I thought blanktester's reactions and my added "Technical Difficulties Break" could save it, and some people are fine with it. Tinker's a lot better in the next video, so I'll upload that with him in it, unless like 10 people come flying in here to tell me not to.

Just go with what you have. The tonal shift of the commentary was too jarring for me.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

It was a little slow at first but once Tinker got going he was absolutely on fire. I guess I could see how some people might not like it and/or might be offended but it was just so off the hook and out of nowhere that I couldn't help but laugh.

Also my roommate thought it was hilarious if that counts for anything.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

IntelligentCalcium posted:

It was a little slow at first but once Tinker got going he was absolutely on fire. I guess I could see how some people might not like it and/or might be offended but it was just so off the hook and out of nowhere that I couldn't help but laugh.

Also my roommate thought it was hilarious if that counts for anything.

Alright, I guess if he actually does bring in 100s of fans, I could make him show up more often. I also tried a test recording of me, him and two other friends playing some Smash Bros wherein he becomes Aunt Jemima halfway through, so if you need more roughridin' racism, I can provide.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

What in the hell did I just listen to? I'm happy there is only one more with him, but slightly disappointed that it is the really good level.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010
I could take it or leave it. I really like the dynamic you two have going and think it's fun to listen to. This new guy seemed like he was trying waaaaaaaaay too hard and it came off as really awkward, especially the part right before you put in the interlude. That was a bit painful to watch. I'll not stop watching the videos either way but I think it's way more fluid and fun with just the two of you rather than this new wacky zany racist guy.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Okay, well, here it is, the final level of Wakeboarding Unleashed! In this one, we're going to Ocean World to save the whales and ride the rollercoasters. Also, Tinker is back, but he's not racist in this one, I promise. However, is there anyone that plays World of Warcraft that can decipher anything he says about that?

Wakeboarding Unleashed Level 11: Ocean World

Text Link

Also, stay tuned, because I have one more Wakeboarding video after this, since the credits are their own level. After that, we'll jump pretty quickly into Freestyle Metal X.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Man that's a fun level. Was totally the one I remembered.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Back with one more level, the unofficial level 12, the credits. Featuring me smashing through billboard after billboard and having to overcorrect time and time again because let me tell you, that boat does not go in a straight line.

Wakeboarding Unleashed Level 12: Credits

Text Link

Well, that was the whole game. Sorry that the credits text is kind of hard to see. Despite having a lovely name, I like it. I remember having fun with it back in the day and it was still fun to play the second time around. Also, I'm definitely not getting 100% because I still don't know where half the gaps in the game are. Will blanktester and I do the 2-player part of the game? Maybe, it might be weird jumping back and forth between games, but he was a bit interested to try them. I'm thinking Friday will probably be FMX level 1, with its weird cover and all.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The motorcycle game chat earlier reminded me of the best (and one of the more obscure) motocross games ever -- Edgar Torronteras' Extreme Biker! (Or eXtreme Biker, I guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_9gGOObNKk

I must have spent hours playing the demo of this game over and over until I finally got the full version. The gameplay is pretty basic stuff, it's very arcade-ish and you have your motocross and supercross races and stunt courses, but what makes Edgar Torronteras' Extreme Biker awesome is the fact it was one of the first games (if not the first one -- this was back in 1999) with ragdoll physics. The racing was okay, but the real fun was in getting Edgar Torronteras or one of the other extreme biker men killed in various horrible ways, like some sort of a motorcycle-based version of Stair Dismount or something.

I think there was a sequel without Edgar Torronteras, but that one is even more obscure and I haven't played it.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Huh, was expecting the credits level to be more than just ramming a boat through billboards and having a time limit of an hour to do so.

Also, I was inspired by that Ocean World wackiness and this thread deserves some fanart.

So here's Anonymous Wakeboarder doing the world a favor and showing that mascot what for:

And in an alternate universe, the managers finally found a better-looking mascot based on Zippy and decided to stage some faux-charity boxing match for some of the more hardcore fans:

Thanks again for doing this sweet thread and LP and may you continue gracing us with many more extreme sport games that aren't pro skating!

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

FAN ART ALERT

YES

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

You're a beast, Daigerus, don't ever let anyone get you down. Those will definitely be going under the WakeUn sections of the second post (I'm starting to feel like I really should have reserved a third post).

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, and we're live! New game, new mic, and the most metal action I've ever given you.

Thanks to Rather Watch Them for linking the cover art waaaaaay back in the thread. I hadn't heard of the game before then.

What is this game?
Freestyle Metal X is an XTREME take on motocross, offering the player large areas to ride in, free of loading screens, and the best metal you've ever ridden too. There are level-based challenges to do, as well as Big Air, Freestyle, and Race events in each area. Scattered around the area are collectibles, like cash, posters, Daredevil mode tickets, and stat points for your rider.

How will you be doing this?
Each video will encompass one level, since there is a lot to do in each. There will probably be an episode for the Daredevil events, since I'm thinking I'll need to grind out some money to unlock the last level, then the finale is a cross-country race to win our family's legacy back.

On a scale of 1 to 10, what will you rate this game?
I know I joke that I can't not rate anything below a 6 or above an 8, but this game gets a 6. It is pretty mediocre, with its mechanics of having large, roaming levels and collectibles to get just beating out the lovely NPC quality and, frankly, easy challenges. The positives do work well, mind you.

Episode 1: Rodeo Rise

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Haha wow, that one guy looked like a terrible low-poly version of the radio DJ from Jet Grind Radio.

Also the numbers are likely supposed to be the size of the engine in CC.

• Locked thread